Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MMF Freeway posted:

It was definitely a few areas in. I had to push one boulder to stop sand flow. I got at least far enough to get to the crystal before the esper fight. I don't think you actually have to fight the esper, but there are areas around it that aren't actually marked on the map. Might have been in one of those.

Oh ok, I forgot about the boulders. Thanks, time to go poking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

abagofcheetos posted:

So, uh, Zodiark... I got pretty far on my first attempt not really knowing what to expect, but eventually succumbed to darkja killing my entire party every single cast and not being able to revive everyone in time for the next cast. So I figure I go back with some dark absorbing/negating gear and win no problem, but I'm reading online that darkja also hits with death? So dark gear wouldn't help? wtf am I supposed to do with an attack that kills the entire party every cast, and is cast so relentlessly? This is the first boss I've even had trouble with.

IIRC it only has a chance to auto KO a party member. So you still want the dark absorbing gear, just hope your whole party doesn't all get hit with the KO proc at the same time. This is one of those fights where it definitely pays to have invested in getting all your party leveled up, not just your main three.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Levantine posted:

Oh ok, I forgot about the boulders. Thanks, time to go poking around.

So as I remember from where you can fight the esper you want to take the east exit from that room and then south in the next room past three Buer.

The room with the thief's cuff has a save crystal, behind the sand waterfall in that room is an area not marked on the map that connects to another region, the chest is behind the waterfall at a dead end.

There's a 25% chance for that chest to spawn though so you may need to leave the room and renter to spawn it. I will always contain the cuffs though.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MMF Freeway posted:

IIRC it only has a chance to auto KO a party member. So you still want the dark absorbing gear, just hope your whole party doesn't all get hit with the KO proc at the same time. This is one of those fights where it definitely pays to have invested in getting all your party leveled up, not just your main three.

Ahh ok, that makes a little more sense. Yeah, the fight was a bitch, I would have all three die, then I would bring in 1 reserve to rez my healer, then swap them back out with the dead person and hope the healer could get everyone back up quickly.... only to have darkja cast yet again as soon as we are back alive and ready to start dealing damage. I'm hoping the dark gear will help.

Also those mines right before Zodiark are the absolute worst to slog through, so many status ailments.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Golden Goat posted:

So as I remember from where you can fight the esper you want to take the east exit from that room and then south in the next room past three Buer.

The room with the thief's cuff has a save crystal, behind the sand waterfall in that room is an area not marked on the map that connects to another region, the chest is behind the waterfall at a dead end.

There's a 25% chance for that chest to spawn though so you may need to leave the room and renter to spawn it. I will always contain the cuffs though.

Thanks, I think I have just forgotten a ton about this game and I mostly forgot how to navigate the caverns. Can you push the boulders from the Westersand side or do you need to come at it from the Sandsea?

On another note, I just want to say how glad I am they added some music to the game. I'm a fan of the original soundtrack, but you just hear some tracks so often they lose their punch. New boss music, new area music, etc. It's good.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Levantine posted:

Thanks, I think I have just forgotten a ton about this game and I mostly forgot how to navigate the caverns. Can you push the boulders from the Westersand side or do you need to come at it from the Sandsea?
I'm not sure actually. I think you can. I came at it from the Ozmose Plains so I didn't have to push boulders on that route.

E: yeah you should be able to from the westersand
Using this older map for reference:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/459841-final-fantasy-xii/faqs/46532

Blue area in the bottom right is what you're looking for

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 18, 2017

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Golden Goat posted:

I'm not sure actually. I think you can. I came at it from the Ozmose Plains so I didn't have to push boulders on that route.

E: yeah you should be able to from the westersand
Using this older map for reference:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/459841-final-fantasy-xii/faqs/46532

Blue area in the bottom right is what you're looking for

That is perfect, thank you!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

abagofcheetos posted:

Ahh ok, that makes a little more sense. Yeah, the fight was a bitch, I would have all three die, then I would bring in 1 reserve to rez my healer, then swap them back out with the dead person and hope the healer could get everyone back up quickly.... only to have darkja cast yet again as soon as we are back alive and ready to start dealing damage. I'm hoping the dark gear will help.

Also those mines right before Zodiark are the absolute worst to slog through, so many status ailments.
Back on the PS2 the mines gave me way more trouble than Zodiark.

Float helps IIRC. I remember a billion traps.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
The thing with traps is. Even if i had libra equiped. My team would somehow always trigger it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sefal posted:

The thing with traps is. Even if i had libra equiped. My team would somehow always trigger it.
Use Float

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If you're going to have traps, at least come up with a way to disarm them. GET IT TOGETHER SE.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Just take two members out of your party while navigating traps. Only useful if there are no enemies around though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

abagofcheetos posted:

So, uh, Zodiark... I got pretty far on my first attempt not really knowing what to expect, but eventually succumbed to darkja killing my entire party every single cast and not being able to revive everyone in time for the next cast. So I figure I go back with some dark absorbing/negating gear and win no problem, but I'm reading online that darkja also hits with death? So dark gear wouldn't help? wtf am I supposed to do with an attack that kills the entire party every cast, and is cast so relentlessly? This is the first boss I've even had trouble with.

When most of your party is dead just leave and go heal

Antsylvania
Nov 5, 2010

abagofcheetos posted:

Shell reduces the hit% of debuffs by half, so keep that up with shellga/shell shields. And set game speed to max so you can diminish his dumb 0 charge time advantage.

e: assuming you aren't in the first place

Antsylvania fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 18, 2017

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Bring one person into the start of the fight to eat the Darkja, then bring in your main team. You want 2 of these people to have Berserk/Haste/Bravery, and the third should have defensive buffs and Decoy. The idea is to kill him quickly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do you get a better fast travel system/easy access to teleport stones any time? I've a bunch of hunts all over the place now and limiting teleports is dumb.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah eventually in the story your airship gets the ability to go anywhere which opens up extra fast travel points. Also if you take an airship ride and choose the go by leisure craft option you can mess around during the flight and one of the thing you can do is buy teleport stones from the vendor there.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah eventually in the story your airship gets the ability to go anywhere which opens up extra fast travel points. Also if you take an airship ride and choose the go by leisure craft option you can mess around during the flight and one of the thing you can do is buy teleport stones from the vendor there.

Airship from Nalbina to Archades sells Serum too which I just found out about.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MMF Freeway posted:

IIRC there's at least 1 hunt and 1 sidequest that take place on the leisurely airship routes, too.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lol having Karkata this early is insane and I think i'll put it away for a bit.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Golden Goat posted:

Lol having Karkata this early is insane and I think i'll put it away for a bit.

Yeah, I mostly pull it out to cheese higher level hunts (like the Rank III Wyrm) since Confuse interrupts spell casts. It's just so powerful.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the suggestions all, but this:

corn in the bible posted:

When most of your party is dead just leave and go heal

You can leave in the middle of the fight?? Is this just a Zodiark thing or is that part of the game mechanics I never picked up on?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Time for Fran's village and a reminder that Vaan's an rear end.

So do staves boost magic damage like the storm staff boosting lighting? Guides say so but in game there's nothing indicating it cept the name.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

abagofcheetos posted:

You can leave in the middle of the fight?? Is this just a Zodiark thing or is that part of the game mechanics I never picked up on?

I think he has it confused with Yiazmat, which is the only boss where you can leave and come back without them being back at full hp (that I know of at least).

Golden Goat posted:

Time for Fran's village and a reminder that Vaan's an rear end.

So do staves boost magic damage like the storm staff boosting lighting? Guides say so but in game there's nothing indicating it cept the name.

Equipment descriptions are actually quite bad in that they often tell you nothing about the items actual properties. For staves the elemental ones are obvious but also the cherry staff boosts wind damage and the cloud staff boosts water damage.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Equipment descriptions are actually quite bad in that they often tell you nothing about the items actual properties. For staves the elemental ones are obvious but also the cherry staff boosts wind damage and the cloud staff boosts water damage.
Cheers I kept seeing descriptions on what staves boost but the in game just makes the out to be trash weapons.

Oh yeah my final job choices

Nothing really super interesting but magics a bit spread out amongst the crew. Uhlan/Archer made Fran kinda strong since Uhlan holds a shitton of battle lore slots.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

abagofcheetos posted:

I was thinking of Yiazmat

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

final fantasy xiv has better fishing than xv for the fishing log alone

The fishing in XV is more fun to do tho

precision posted:

PS1 Classic Legend of Dragoon had a p cool combo input system

I'm sad that they never re-released that one or made a sequel

HARPOON!

GUST OF WIND DANCE!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So, uh, how long was an average play through of the original game? It's taken me 25 hours at mostly 4x speed to get where I am right now, does that mean that normally it would have taken 100???? Or is the timer faster too?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Sakurazuka posted:

So, uh, how long was an average play through of the original game? It's taken me 25 hours at mostly 4x speed to get where I am right now, does that mean that normally it would have taken 100???? Or is the timer faster too?

The timer is at it's natural speed I believe.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It is ridiculous how much more playable a x4 speed toggle makes the game

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
In WoFF, is there ever a point at which one can take more Mirages no in the party or does a good grinding area opens up? I amass an ever greater amount of Mirages and can't really use them, because the SP gain is a bit paltry and there's little need to use strategic teams, and so I just use mostly the same monsters, since I'd have to level up new ones otherwise.

Edit: so far, the only idea I have is camping by a save crystal in the most high level area and just run in circles, attracting battles and changing the Mirages from the Prism Case as the level curve flattens, but is there a better way? Some XP gain raising accessories, perhaps?

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 18, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Szurumbur posted:

Edit: so far, the only idea I have is camping by a save crystal in the most high level area and just run in circles, attracting battles and changing the Mirages from the Prism Case as the level curve flattens, but is there a better way? Some XP gain raising accessories, perhaps?

This is basically the only way to do it. There is an XP gain accessory I think though. How far into the game are you?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Lucas Archer posted:

Just take two members out of your party while navigating traps. Only useful if there are no enemies around though.

I started doing this after Larsa triggered a petrify trap in Henne Mines.

I had him and 1 character to get around any other traps
For the remainder of the mine travels.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Cheers I kept seeing descriptions on what staves boost but the in game just makes the out to be trash weapons.

Oh yeah my final job choices

Nothing really super interesting but magics a bit spread out amongst the crew. Uhlan/Archer made Fran kinda strong since Uhlan holds a shitton of battle lore slots.
I also used Archer/Uhlan on Fran and like it a lot.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man this game has a whole lot of blondes

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I have started up Final Fantasy VI: Brave New World. I know it has some script alterations. I was considering playing this other mod called EvilType but BNW sounds more interesting.

So I just have to hope the new translations and jokes are incidental. I can live with the Soul Train saying "there ain't no gettin' off this train you're on!"

"Clear" will not make "Doom" work on bosses, though - that sort of douchebaggery doesn't fly here anymore.

I wonder if this is a reference to the original game or an older version of BNW.

Rage sounds pretty interesting. I remember I once asked somebody the difference between Gau and a Blue Mage. Taking on the actual properties of the enemy he is copying is pretty unique. I've certainly never encountered anything like it in other FF games.

My Find Terra Team is Celes, Cyan, Gau and Sabin. Locke said something about a promise but he's kind of boring as a character and useless as a combatant so he can stay here.

So I let Terra and Edgar wipe out most of Kefka's forces before taking my main trio of Celes, Gau and Cyan against Kefka himself but I am noticing that, in spite of Gau being interesting, he has no loving HP. True, he is at the lowest level of everyone in my party but he's only one level behind Celes yet she has 100 more HP. Gau's pathetic 150 HP is not really workable here from what I've seen. He was eating dirt for the last stretch of that Kefka fight. And this was my second attempt at Kefka because Kefka kept killing Gau in Round 1 and I kept futilely trying to revive him. I am grateful for the fact that my party being wiped only meant I got them all back with 1 HP and had to try again. The thought of running that whole gauntlet again was rather depressing so good game design here.

But yeah, several hours in, I've died lots, also having a lot of fun. I think I can probably go the distance this time around. I certainly can't remember being this invested in the story or gameplay before. I think the fact I have dropped the "so this is the best FF ever, huh?" attitude is probably helping.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I assume 'clear' (lol) = vanish. There was a bug in the original game where if you could get vanish to stick on a boss Doom would have 100% chance of killing them.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Took out the Gil Snapper and Ring Wyrm before going further into the forest section.

When I swapped in Balthier and Ashe they spammed Fira on the Wyrm and it went down much faster.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Gau's pathetic 150 HP is not really workable here from what I've seen.

what the gently caress :psyduck:

in vanilla ff6, gau should have about 400HP when you fight kefka in narshe

what kind of disorder do you need to have to make an overhaul mod for a game and not balance the math at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I assume 'clear' (lol) = vanish. There was a bug in the original game where if you could get vanish to stick on a boss Doom would have 100% chance of killing them.

Oh, gotcha. They call it Vanish in the actual game but for the tutorial part they called it Clear. Weird.

But wow, FFVI seems to have a lot of exploits.