Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mike the TV posted:

I'm getting used to VR, and yesterday I was wondering around a Thargoid base, fully immersed. The place is freaky as hell. And then my cat jumped on me and I had a heart attack. Now am dead.

Hahaha that's great. Did you scream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I've never tried elite in VR but considering how I react when jumping into a close binary system I don't think I would survive in VR :ohdear:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Elite in VR is super awesome just because of the scale and the freedom to look around. Sound design doesn't hurt either.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Hahaha that's great. Did you scream?

I jumped like crazy. No screaming though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mike the TV posted:

I'm getting used to VR, and yesterday I was wondering around a Thargoid base, fully immersed. The place is freaky as hell. And then my cat jumped on me and I had a heart attack. Now am dead.

I stopped playing Alien Isolation in VR because 'actually being there' is great until 'there' is huddled under a desk making GBS threads your pants

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

I stopped playing Alien Isolation in VR because 'actually being there' is great until 'there' is huddled under a desk making GBS threads your pants

What was Ripley doing in game though?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

cheesetriangles posted:

What was Ripley doing in game though?

She was fine

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Is it not possible to put experimental effects into your loadout on edshipyard?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

KakerMix posted:

Yo this is exactly how I have my controls set up and yeah it's really good, foot pedal controlling steering on the srv is quite natural.

Same here. They also make an excellent spot for some sideway slidey action (assuming the pedals have toe brakes).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Tippis posted:

Same here. They also make an excellent spot for some sideway slidey action (assuming the pedals have toe brakes).

and other cool maneuvers

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Mike the TV posted:

I got used to space-vr very quickly.
srv-vr?
Holy poo poo give me a barf bag.
Locked horizon helps but its just something with the UI

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Man Elite in VR with a Hotas and Pedals is some next level poo poo. Just super great to play.

In my limited experience with VR so far, Elite and Superhot are system sellers.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Khablam posted:

srv-vr?

Yeah. The SRV just bounces too much. I can only handle it in short bits, and then only if I'm focused on the radar and nothing else.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Khablam posted:

srv-vr?

I'm weird. I don't have the horizon locked and I still do fine, even barreling along at full speed and bouncing around. I went in expecting to get sick because that's what everyone says. But the only thing that makes me queazy is going down hills sometimes.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mike the TV posted:

I'm weird. I don't have the horizon locked and I still do fine, even barreling along at full speed and bouncing around. I went in expecting to get sick because that's what everyone says. But the only thing that makes me queazy is going down hills sometimes.

I guess I'm weird too because I basically get out the VR headset for SRV runs almost exclusively. Being able to keep your eyes on the direction where that goddamn sensor reading is while your SRV is cartwheeling off of a cliff is fantastic.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Alternative Method:

Step 1: Boost as fast as possible to the mailslot
Step 2: If you get scanned: pop a heatsink and keep boosting to the mailslot
Step 3: Success!
:eng101:

Step 4 : As you pass through the slot max pips to shields, use the tower of your pad as a brake.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Step 4 : As you pass through the slot max pips to shields, use the tower of your pad as a brake.

Deploy landing gear as you enter the slot to help brake.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Morningwoodpecker posted:

You like to dance close to the fire, don't you?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

How all your landings should look, no exceptions:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Lima posted:

Crashes cost, commando. Kill your speed, not your credit balance.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

You like to dance close to the fire, don't you?

Nah, it works quite well because it sets your max speed to about half your normal max, so even at 100% throttle you'll slow down - though not too quickly. Also, it stops you hitting the boost button by mistake.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lima posted:

Now that you mention it, I wonder what the origin story is for that iconic raygun design. Where did it appear first, and why did it look like that?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Tippis posted:

Now that you mention it, I wonder what the origin story is for that iconic raygun design. Where did it appear first, and why did it look like that?

I think the term dates back to Jules Verne's books but the design probably comes from 50ies scifi movies.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Landings in Elite are really easy after extensive experience with :jeb:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have had this since launch on PS4. I play it sort of like a mobile game... a mission or two a night, when I can. I don't have a ton of time.

I'm steadily approaching a million credits. I know that's nothing, but it's still significant. I have an Adder, presently.

Wondering if you have any advice on direction of play, bigger, badder, better things to acquire (ships/weapons, etc..)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Feenix posted:

I have had this since launch on PS4. I play it sort of like a mobile game... a mission or two a night, when I can. I don't have a ton of time.

I'm steadily approaching a million credits. I know that's nothing, but it's still significant. I have an Adder, presently.

Wondering if you have any advice on direction of play, bigger, badder, better things to acquire (ships/weapons, etc..)

Just play some more and you'll get the idea.
A cobra III is an amazing do-it-all ship that will let you try nearly any type of content.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Yep, the Cobra is an awesome ship. I have a billion creds and I spend most of my time in one :v:

An alternative to the Cobra is the Viper 4 if you want something very similar but a bit better at combat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You're getting to the point where you should decide what you like doing most (combat vs trading/missions vs exploring) and use that to inform which ship you get and how you outfit it. You're getting into tiers of ship that are specialized for some of those roles and will never be good at others.

Also remember that you aren't required to sell your old ship when you buy a new one, you can put it in the garage instead and pull it out again later if you can cover the new one entirely out of pocket.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks all. I have been doing fetch quests off the mission board and it's good money but not where my heart is at. I think Combat / Bounties with a side of cargo ferrying... probably where I would go.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I got my federal corvette and I really love it. The idea of engineering all the parts on it makes me want to die. I don't have many engineers unlocked and they seem like the biggest pain in the rear end.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

haveblue posted:

Landings in Elite are really easy after extensive experience with :jeb:

I thought this was true until I got to a planetmoon with >3G and died. I just wasn't prepared for not being able to hover.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
What is the appeal of open if I can do everything in a private game? I get the whole pvp thing but if you are a trader or something more carebarish what does open offer?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

cheesetriangles posted:

I got my federal corvette and I really love it. The idea of engineering all the parts on it makes me want to die. I don't have many engineers unlocked and they seem like the biggest pain in the rear end.

Yeah, I finally got into engineering my 'vette as the last thing before I haul it out to Colonia (for mining primarily. The maddest of space madness :getin:). I hadn't touched engineering at all before that.

At least engineer the FSD to get the range up.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Feenix posted:

I'm doing the same thing, just got out of the base ship to explore more. In my optional loadout I ditched the shields and loaded a landing assistant. I don't find landing to be too difficult, it's more just a pain in the add, very finicky. Should I lose it and what should I replace it with?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

cheesetriangles posted:

Humorously, the most annoying Engineer to unlock partly because of his system permit, Marco Quent, is currently getting even harder to unlock because angry players are putting his faction into retreat as a form of protest to Frontier.

Oh wait, that's not funny. It makes me want to punch someone.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

Humorously, the most annoying Engineer to unlock partly because of his system permit, Marco Quent, is currently getting even harder to unlock because angry players are putting his faction into retreat as a form of protest to Frontier.

It's for """rp""" reasons because the message from Salomé told people to blockade systems and bring down the evil shadow people.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

There's not many early ships where the docking computer isn't taking a vital internal slot.
You also want to be able to land well enough that the computer is slower than you and doing it more is the only way to learn.
I stick one on only when I'm doing something grindy that needs a lot of landing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

xxEightxx posted:

What is the appeal of open if I can do everything in a private game? I get the whole pvp thing but if you are a trader or something more carebarish what does open offer?

Being able to have a martyr complex on the forums about being "ganked by griefers" when you're flying a shieldless T9 with D-ranked thrusters that can't boost because of your downclassed power distributor/plant

Mike the TV posted:

the stupid thing is they're trying to retreat sirius from systems, which can be opposed successfully by like one person running missions. all it takes is one person they've pissed off to effectively prevent them from making any forward movement on the poo poo they want to do, and if it happens once they'll probably all file a bug report about "retreat is bugged" and then quit in disgust

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

Qwent and Palin are one of the few ones I already have thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
For the life of me, I can't do that thing where you rotate around your target to stay out of his line of fire. He always rotates as quick as me. I think "maybe I need to get closer", but then he just shoots me more.

• Locked thread