Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm pretty sure "Spleeny, fen-sucked skainsmate" is a blatant misuse of at least two of the three terms there. Doesn't skainsmate just mean friend? And fen-sucked means you came out of a swamp or something like that?

http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/shake_rule.html

Oh.

Derek you are my best swampfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

shrach posted:

What is the planet looking shape labelled as "Crusader", such that it is shaded blue to represent already being in 2.6?

It's in 2.6. Just as a flat circle you can point your ship at and fly at forever without hitting the surface. But it's there.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beexoffel posted:

CIG have parpered with a lot of companies and people.

Probably the most successful partnership was with Lowtax.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Beexoffel posted:

CIG have parpered with a lot of companies and people.

Chris buys a Happy Meal: CIG has partnered with McDonald's

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Kai Tave has produced some excellent effortposts about Ryan Dancey and the Pathfinder MMO in the Kickstarter thread.

I recommend them if the following keywords resonate: MTG, D&D, Pathfinder, Eve, White Wolf.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473379&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1109#post474431970

Three or four in that thread starting there.

Why relevant?

quote:

To this day I'm not really sure what Dancey's master plan was. It's clear that Pathfinder Online actually had some number of coders and programmers because a game of sorts did eventually wind up existing, but certainly not in any sort of form that was promised to the hopeful masses. And Dancey, a man who is absolutely in love with the sound of his own virtual voice, made a metric ton of promises to anyone and everyone about everything that Pathfinder Online would be. In a number of respects PFO was very much a proto Star Citizen, a game whose hype was largely a product of stupid people asking for unreasonable things and a slick conman telling them "yes, absolutely." People asked Dancey if there would be dedicated horse grooming support for those who wanted to portray stable-hands, they suggested that Time Stop spells should literally freeze the game for everyone on the game's one single server when cast, they wanted rich and verisimilitudinous PvP combat but with absolutely no griefing or ganking I swear to god if anyone kills me without my consent, and Dancey assured everybody that PFO would be the fulfillment of all their hopes and dreams.

The Titanic posted:

MoMA doesn't play Star Citizen, also has no money invested in it. He's here for the lols or spin doctoring. He does a good job though because any time he says something he gets two pages of people going after him. :)

If he was, then he hasn't really changed any minds. I just think he hangs out here because he knows that it's a flailing sack of broken assholes.

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 18, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Do you think that, if Derek Smart asked MoMa what his favorite thing about playing Star Citizen was right now, he'd answer?

MoMA doesn't play Star Citizen, also has no money invested in it. He's here for the lols or spin doctoring. He does a good job though because any time he says something he gets two pages of people going after him. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

XK posted:

It's kind of funny that both the old school games this is based on, and the original pitch, emphasized travel through interstellar space between a huge amount of destinations with fairly basic landing zones. Now, they're putting off the space stuff in favor of doing things on the surfaces of planets/moons.

If you bought a ship for the purpose of traveling around in deep space, hauling cargo, exploring, whatever else, 5 systems with huge surface areas means poo poo to you. Imagine GTA5 where you ran errands between 5 buildings, and all the streets between those building were empty, but the buildings were huge, and the buildings were 99% empty hallways.

Crobbler's throwing away the foundation of the original concept, space stuff, for the idea of running around on planets.

He lost the plot on his own game.

I think he came to the realization that CryEngine is built for FPS games, and he'll have significantly more luck building an FPS game than not.

Star Citizen used to be a space game with an FPS game attached to it. Soon it'll be an FPS game with a space ship mini game connecting the levels together.

I guess this will please the backers? :shrug:

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
Moma's far to easily triggered by Derek to be a troll or paid shill.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Tippis posted:

It first happened in 1962, so… yeah.

Beaten like the proverbial stepchild. Still, it was such a stupid thing to ask that it bears repeating.

But could those bikes be parked in a ship's cargo bay without despawning 2 out of 5 times? Check mate, goonie :smug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lol, Gorf's chart got taken down

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
YOU SHOW US, STARGUR!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

Hello friends.

I truly hope everyone is doing well, physically, mentally, and in all other ways. Hope the same for the misguided backers and the overworked employees of CIG. Life's too short to spend it miserable, furious, or otherwise dispirited.

For those who wondered, I'm still alive. Had some health issues a year back. Took a break from a lot of things, including from posting in this often wonderful and informative thread. Glad to see its gentled up some from when I left.

Anyway, awkward member re-insertion banter aside, here is a new infographic about 3.0, for those of you who like those sort of things.

I'm aiming for fairness, so please post suggested corrections if it seems biased.

Welcome back! I'm sorry to hear about your health issue but I hope everything is looking better now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Another national nightmare in the making.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mangoose posted:

But could those bikes be parked in a ship's cargo bay without despawning 2 out of 5 times? Check mate, goonie :smug:

Yes.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

hot balls man no homo posted:

It's in 2.6. Just as a flat circle you can point your ship at and fly at forever without hitting the surface. But it's there.

That seems rather generous but then again I guess that is as complete as it will ever be.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Straight White Shark posted:

I don't pay that much attention to SC but is this all actually how it "works" (for lack of a better term)? Because if so then :lol:

It's some speculation that is derived from some facts.

The visor splash has been mocked a million times, because it's been seen in a ton of videos. You get a crysis suit visor water effect from crysis 3 when you go change elevation sometimes. Cryengine has water underneath all of it's maps as a function of the engine. It's been more of a random bug than easily reproduceable though, since most of the time you would cross the invisible surface boundary you are in a spaceship. CIG themselves admitted they couldn't remove the water, so you extrapolate that out to they made it invisible since you still have the exosuit visor splash effect and can't see the water.

The ships are obviously in NOCLIP, anyone who has played a game with NOCLIP can see that.

There are camera bugs with distorted bodies in Crysis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbOxieWCmDY

Which matches things like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVsnKbOi-bM

And all the distorted body stretching images we've mocked endlessly.

The size issue is the only thing that is pure speculation. They dramatically increased the size of the play area somehow, while still being unable to remove the visor splash or fly with anything but NOCLIP, so the easiest explanation is they made everything smaller by changing some positioning and scale variables.

Imagine Crysis 1 and make all the jeeps and characters the size of grains of sand. The island would be unimaginably huge, but then you'd run into glitches trying to track locations for things that small, and a grain of sand getting into a grain of sand jeep starts glitching out due to position errors from items smaller than the engine was designed to track being inside eachother. Position changes like 1.001 -> 1.002 -> 1.003 become 0.0000101 -> 0.0000102 -> 0.0000103 which would cause more bugs since your engine has a margin of error when processing the positions of objects, so if you shrink everything that margin of error might not change in size but it has a much greater impact.

Like a 1% margin of error for 100 votes is 1 vote. A 1% margin of error for 1,000,000 votes is 10,000 votes. A collision/position glitch might move your character at 1.0 scale .01 units and cause a slight shudder. But a collision/position glitch of .01 at 0.00001 scale causes you to be flung into outer space and become a twisted horror since it's no longer 1/100th of a step it's 1,000 steps. Which we make fun of all the time since commandos fly in all directions at the speed of light.

Basically the entire thing smells of a mod since the only changes from 2.0 -> 2.6 are just variable adjustments. It makes even more sense when you see Chris Roberts completely focused on working on and releasing Squadron 42. So in my mind they ignored the persistent universe until Squadron 42's overblown cinematic horseshit became impossible and are now switching focus to the persistent universe which hasn't worked and would have never worked from the start.

So now we are waiting for things like Star Marine, which is a separate module you load into probably at actual 1.0 scale but still possessing crysis bugs they can't remove. It's basically just Crysis 1 multiplayer with reskinned exosuits in space maps with a star skybox instead of a blue sky.

If 3.0 is another separate module without the seamless orbit to surface transitions and you just click a moons name and it loads you on a ground map it's just another mod of the base cryengine and now full size exosuits are reskinned to be space armor and crysis jeeps now look like land rovers and you zoom around running into invisible borders it's basically just a reskinned car segment from Crysis 3 or a flat island from Crysis 1.

This is just me talking though, because if this is actually whats happening it's probably legally actionable as fraud.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

P sure Gorf removed it after fixing a typo or two

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

shrach posted:

That seems rather generous but then again I guess that is as complete as it will ever be.

No, it's incomplete. There's supposed to be some Cloud City-meets-Utopia Planitia-meets NASA HAVOC type shipbuilding apparatus floating in the atmosphere.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Space Crabs posted:

This is just me talking though, because if this is actually whats happening it's probably legally actionable as fraud.

Trying and failing isn't the same as stealing the money. I know I'm a broken loving record, but it's important. Also not defending them; their biggest problem has always been overreach.

I think you're entirely right in the rest of the post, just that sentence.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Stargur invasion!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Space Crabs posted:

It's some speculation that is derived from some facts.

I just wanted to say that I like this entire post and I think it's correct (with high probability anyway) about what's actually happening with CIG's development.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Quavers posted:

11 months after Gamescom 2016 and lots of :shepspends: how are we doing...

:doh:

It's ok though, Alpha 3.1 will be the patch that'll show those dastardly naysayers.
UHHH UHHH THIS IS UHHH WRONG BECAUSE UHHH YOU SEE CHRIS ACTUALLY UHHHH HE NEVER SPECIFICALLY SAID UHHH THAT UHHHHHH THIS...

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

UHHH UHHH THIS IS UHHH WRONG BECAUSE UHHH YOU SEE CHRIS ACTUALLY UHHHH HE NEVER SPECIFICALLY SAID UHHH THAT UHHHHHH THIS...
Actually it's correct and I'm glad it is because this means that everything in Star Citizen is coming along fine, actually better than expected.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Actually it's correct and I'm glad it is because this means that everything in Star Citizen is coming along fine, actually better than expected.
Ya, plus it was clearly edited by a Goon. I mean it has a question mark next to "Day and Night cycles" but this is misleading because there is no day and night in space.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Ya, plus it was clearly edited by a Goon. I mean it has a question mark next to "Day and Night cycles" but this is misleading because there is no day and night in space.
gently caress GOONS AND DEREK SHART I HATE HIS STUPID FACE AND HIS WRINKLED BALLS AND DICK WHICH IS WAY SMALLER THAN MINE I BET IF I COULD COMPARE THEM SIDE BY SIDE IN REAL LIFE YOU GUYS WOULD SEE HIS COCK ISN'T EVEN THAT GREAT!

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
There that saves us a few r/ds screenshots.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hav posted:

Trying and failing isn't the same as stealing the money. I know I'm a broken loving record, but it's important. Also not defending them; their biggest problem has always been overreach.

I think you're entirely right in the rest of the post, just that sentence.

It's a bit of a grey area.

Trying to make the persistent universe and failing is a case of over reach.

If they know they can't deliver on their promises and that their current product could never actually meet their promises, while releasing a product that is advertised as either meeting or laying the groundwork for meeting those promises is what I consider fraud.

You are right if they just are working dilligently and are unable to reach the level they want, what is separate from that is if they know for certain that their product is a dead end and they are just using it to get more funding.

Like, I can set out to design and build a flying car. I might rig up something in solidworks or maya that looks impressive, even down to simulating the parts of the engine and wing assemblies and get funding for it, then go bankrupt because I'm incompetent enough or incapable of actually making it and lose all my money trying to have parts fabricated or have my prototypes not work after making them. That's not fraud it's just me being an idiot.

But if I have sold a series of prototypes for the flying car, over the period of years because I managed to find an investment source that is as stupid as it is rich? My intention now is to make up whatever I can to make more money. So I'm selling a concord/ferrari combination while welding wings to a chrysler because people will pay me for it. Even if my investors are dumb enough to buy it if I know I'm selling the impossible I consider that fraud.

I could be a snake in a court of law and argue that I always intended to turn the chryslers into jets and probably win but at the end of the day I still defrauded people.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

thatguy posted:

There that saves us a few r/ds screenshots.

:golfclap: that was well done

Also, G0RF seems to be making friends:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
See, everyone loves G0RF's typing. I'm glad G0RF has recovered from his typing preventing health related issues.

I also kinda enjoy saying his screenname in my head, so props all around.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

thatguy posted:

gently caress GOONS AND DEREK SHART I HATE HIS STUPID FACE AND HIS WRINKLED BALLS AND DICK WHICH IS WAY SMALLER THAN MINE I BET IF I COULD COMPARE THEM SIDE BY SIDE IN REAL LIFE YOU GUYS WOULD SEE HIS COCK ISN'T EVEN THAT GREAT!

WHY AM I SO MISUNDERSTOOD OFFICER?! DON'T YOU SEE?! IT'S ALL DEREK'S FA-OWWW OWWWW! STOP TAZERING ME!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Geezus, I thought we were discussing Star Citizen in this here thread.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Beet Wagon posted:

/r/Games: "Star Citizen Development Progress Infographic: Alpha 3.0 Star System"

:laffo:

e:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Virtual Captain posted:

Concerning timeline:

September 14th, 2015: Chris set the ground work for people not getting 100 star systems immediately. It was in 104TC Episode 66: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGTj2iWkS-8&t=854s
September 24, 2016: "One of the long-term schedule challenges is building out the universe that we've – in all the stretch goals, we got up to 100 star systems, I think we have 110 now – we're not going to have them all done on the day of release." http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/2613-chris-roberts-on-star-citizen-procedural-planets-alpha3-citizencon

Thanks for making this point, and to DarkOff for a similar one.

I've adjusted wording on the chart so that it doesn't give the appearance that news of downsized launch systems broke with the recent Gamestar interview. I don't really have the room in this particular timeline to stretch back to 2015 and show it as a multi-stage process, but I think this solves the problem of inaccuracy.

I now need to catch up with the newer pages here. Hopefully I didn't miss any other corrections (though happy to make them.)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 18, 2017

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
The top comment:

:eyepop:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Quavers posted:

11 months after Gamescom 2016 and lots of :shepspends: how are we doing...

:doh:

It's ok though, Alpha 3.1 will be the patch that'll show those dastardly naysayers.

Needs some additional revisions I think:

- There are no new space stations in 3.0 AFAIK
- Crusader isn't finished
- We don't know anything about new asteroid belts
- Day and night cycles is not happening. They already said so

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Quavers posted:

The top comment:

:eyepop:

It'd be a little interesting to peek into an alternate universe where SC languished in obscurity, without the 'us' vs HATED GOON MENACE mentality, would the whales be so invested, financially or emotionally?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Yolomon Wayne posted:

But can you?

would...

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

D_Smart posted:

- Day and night cycles is not happening. They already said so

So will the entire surface of the moons be constantly in "day"-light?
Doesn't that conflict with fidelicious basic physics?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

This is crazy. :monocle:

Those rear end-clowns lie a lot. Like all the time. So I would take that with a huge pinch of salt

Beet Wagon posted:

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

AbstractNapper posted:

So will the entire surface of the moons be constantly in "day"-light?
Doesn't that conflict with fidelicious basic physics?

I'm sure Roberts thought of tidally locked orbits when given his decrees.