Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Someone buy this and tell me if it's any good:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/436290/Children_of_Zodiarcs/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

I had planned to and will give it a go late this evening.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kibayasu posted:

I've done it before with games like Alpha Prime or Legendary but that was also when they were on sale for $1 or less. There's no way I'm paying $20 for idle curiosity.

I thought you wrote Alpha Protocol at first and was genuinely mad, lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Undertale collector's edition preorders are out so those of you with a yen for overpriced swag can get on it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Bundle Stars has a new $2.50 bundle, though I'll pass on it as none of the games save Construct: Escape the System seem particularly compelling.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

What kind of a game is Enslaved: Odyssey to the West? I've always been intrigued by it but I can't tell if it's more like an Uncharted/Tomb Raider or more like RE5 with stone age technology. Do you play as both characters, or just one?

It's closest to Uncharted or Prince of Persia, but with some Beyond Good and Evil-esque flavour to the world. Mostly a mix of straightforward platforming, simple stealth and melee combat that was decent enough to keep me entertained for it's runtime. I enjoyed it, but at the same time I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it. Having a post apocalyptic game be colorful and overgrown was a nice change though. If you're interested it's probably worth trying.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any of you guys use humble bundle monthly? I think i'll finally cave in because I already missed so many good games I wanted like Dirt Rally and Warhammer earlier this year. Looks like atleast 2 games are worth every month. I don't mind smaller indie games either.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ulio posted:

Any of you guys use humble bundle monthly? I think i'll finally cave in because I already missed so many good games I wanted like Dirt Rally and Warhammer earlier this year. Looks like atleast 2 games are worth every month. I don't mind smaller indie games either.

I've been subscribed since it it first started and I've never regretted it. The quality's generally high enough that even if a particular game doesn't appeal to you, it'll usually make a cool gift for a friend or something

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Does Yonder The Cloud Catcher Chronicles fill the void of a 3D stardew even somewhat or is kind of a blobby mess of pixels?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ulio posted:

Always get the monthly if you like the games listed as the early unlock. You aren't caving in and missing things, you actively chose not to get Dirt Rally and Warhammer with the other smaller indie games at the price. Just remember to cancel in between months if you're not interested in the next game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

What kind of a game is Enslaved: Odyssey to the West? I've always been intrigued by it but I can't tell if it's more like an Uncharted/Tomb Raider or more like RE5 with stone age technology. Do you play as both characters, or just one?

On top of what everyone else said, Enslaved is legitimately one of the dumbest, worst-written games I've ever played. It's kind of magnificent in how aggressively it refuses to ever make sense.

If you're into rubbernecking that kind of thing it's one of the game's few selling points.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

In Steam Comedy News: Interplay (or the folks wearing the skin of their corpse, anyway) have recently been shovelling out all the old Redneck Rampage games onto Steam with DOSbox wrappers of varying configuration quality in a bid to make a buck or two. The most recent of these releases, a terrible shovelware spin-off called Redneck Deer Huntin', for some reason had a copy of Redneck Rampage Rides Again (a separate game also being sold on Steam and GOG) included. It seems like Interplay have tried to remove it in a patch, but have instead added a GOG copy of Battle Chess, an entirely unrelated game by the same publisher, in instead. So now there's two free games packed in instead of one!

(Not my screenshot. Highlighted files are the Battle Chess ones.)

:bravo:

That's pretty funny, how the gently caress does that even happen?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Humble Bundle's new Telltale Bundle has a pretty solid BTA if you've never gotten round to buying a Telltale game. It has all their good games except the Wolf Among Us, which had a mixed reception anyway (I liked it but the ending wasn't great).

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

il_cornuto posted:

Humble Bundle's new Telltale Bundle has a pretty solid BTA if you've never gotten round to buying a Telltale game. It has all their good games except the Wolf Among Us, which had a mixed reception anyway (I liked it but the ending wasn't great).

Oh drat, I might have to jump on that just to get Sam and Max, it's been like six years since I even touched one of those.

Tales from the Borderlands might be the only game in the BTA+ tier that's worth playing, but it'd worth that price and more even if you were buying it alone. I enjoyed it more than TWD Season 1, even!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Always get the monthly if you like the games listed as the early unlock. You aren't caving in and missing things, you actively chose not to get Dirt Rally and Warhammer with the other smaller indie games at the price. Just remember to cancel in between months if you're not interested in the next game.

Ya man I feel bad for that. Are there repeats for games that have been on the monthly bundle? Or you gotta get them in the weekly humble bundle sales that happen?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Alright ya I got it, I don't care about NBA but its apparently a good basket ball game so w.e Mainly got it because of Pillars of Eternity, that game doesn't really go that low even in sales so 12bucks just for that is worth it imo + extra games u get is just too good.

il_cornuto posted:

Ya I got that too. Telltale games aren't traditional games so they tend to not have much game in them but for the most part Telltale has really good writing. I don't mind their artstyle but maybe they should update their engine a few of their games have issues despite being really low requirements.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Ulio posted:

Ya man I feel bad for that. Are there repeats for games that have been on the monthly bundle? Or you gotta get them in the weekly humble bundle sales that happen?
They might discount them through the store or throw them into bundles just like they would any other game, but nope they never repeat games in the monthly bundles.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

exquisite tea posted:

I would describe the action as "Batman Arkham but worse"

You only play as the guy, you have to keep the girl alive and not get too far out of range of her or you instadie.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ulio posted:

I subscribed when they included xcom2 in the bundle and I've stuck with it ever since because they always have at least one game I wanted to play that's worth at least $12.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

raditts posted:

I subscribed when they included xcom2 in the bundle and I've stuck with it ever since because they always have at least one game I wanted to play that's worth at least $12.

Same in my case. No regrets at all so far.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

il_cornuto posted:

There's a 99% chance that Wolf Among Us will be added next week so with the BTA you get all notable Telltale seasons and GoT.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

They'll probably add Sam and Max 3 as well, not having that one is an odd omission.

Guess it's time to refund the Tales from the Borderlands I got in the steam sale, since I can apparently get their entire back catalog for the same price.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

It's kind of an Uncharted-a-like with the odd bit of Arkham fighting. I really enjoyed it - writing is by Alex Garland so a cut above most videogame scripts and the main character's mocap is done by Andy Serkis. It's also quite striking in a colorful apocalypse sort of way. It's not breaking any boundaries in game design but it's worth playing through.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It's kind of an Uncharted-a-like with the odd bit of Arkham fighting. I really enjoyed it - writing is by Alex Garland so a cut above most videogame scripts and the main character's mocap is done by Andy Serkis. It's also quite striking in a colorful apocalypse sort of way. It's not breaking any boundaries in game design but it's worth playing through.

It's more like God of War clone than Arkham or Uncharted - you've got your light attack, heavy attack, limited ranged attack, block, perfect block for a parry, dodge - with some light platforming and puzzling. It doesn't break new ground anywhere but it carries itself well enough.

I'd also really like to call the writing in Enslaved better than most but while I can tell it's aiming higher and appreciate it for trying to get there it doesn't really reach it. There also seemed to be a rather large chunk of the narrative cut out and not put back anywhere.

On the other hand the DLC that comes with the Steam version, Pigsy's Perfect 10 (Pigsy is a character you'll meet later on in the main game), has gameplay that tries to mix things up from the main game and doesn't quite get there but it tells a simpler story about friendship and manages to be more emotionally engaging by the end of its short time than the whole of the main game.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Mirror's Edge Catalyst is 4,99 on Origin atm

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

sauer kraut posted:

It's free if you get Origin Access. Get Origin Access.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Is it worth playing at all? I heard they royally hosed the game over by forcing you into combat and having the open world level design ruin any satisfaction and momentum of parkour action. Likie, they killed the basic things that made the first game interesting.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It's an ok game. Not great, not even good, just ok. But a fantastic game is Need for Speed (2016), it's literally just Burnout Paradise/Need for Speed Underground 2.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Are you serious? I've been waiting for years for a proper sequel to NFSU2 and even went so far as to install the old game, but it doesn't really run great on modern systems. Or at all. A new NFSU2 is the best gaming news i've heard in a while.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Origin Access: The best way to play the games that failed because EA buried them in Origin or are just mediocre. Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 are going on soon, so it's a great time to go for it!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Palpek posted:

Is it worth playing at all? I heard they royally hosed the game over by forcing you into combat and having the open world level design ruin any satisfaction and momentum of parkour action. Likie, they killed the basic things that made the first game interesting.

I like it a lot. Just like Dying Light, I don't mind working a little to get :airquote: basic movements and stuff. It's still a unique experience not gotten anywhere else, and I'm a sucker for marauding around cyberpunky places so I say go for it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

I'd also really like to call the writing in Enslaved better than most but while I can tell it's aiming higher and appreciate it for trying to get there it doesn't really reach it. There also seemed to be a rather large chunk of the narrative cut out and not put back anywhere.

It's an adaption of a 16th Century Chinese story (Journey to the West) about the Monkey God taking a pilgrim to India. I only know this from the TV version 'Monkey' because it was funny when I was a kid. He had a flying cloud.

Oxxidation posted:

On top of what everyone else said, Enslaved is legitimately one of the dumbest, worst-written games I've ever played. It's kind of magnificent in how aggressively it refuses to ever make sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIeBOIZigJ0
That should give you a precis.

Orv
May 4, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

Thanks.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Crabtree posted:

Does Yonder The Cloud Catcher Chronicles fill the void of a 3D stardew even somewhat or is kind of a blobby mess of pixels?

it's a very weird, sterile feeling game desperately attempting to ape nintendo's charm. like, the world feels empty and barren of any personality and there's no combat at all, which wouldn't be bad, but there's nothing to fill it's place and all the other mechanics like farming are super simple (in a dull way) and grindy. i wanted to like it but i just came out of it bored and disappointed.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

QuarkJets posted:

have you ever seen the quest to incapacitate Dahl and remove his neuromods? If you take out his named operator outside of the station and go to the arboretum to meet Alex, then Dahl shows up outside of Alex's safe room and a timer begins; at this point you have to either kill or incapacitate Dahl or else he will kill Alex. The Dahl quest then won't proceed until you talk to Alex and trigger the arrival of the apex typhon. When that happens, the quest updates and says you have to move Dahl's unconscious, floating body through the low-grav environment down to the medical bay right outside of the lobby entrance. If you do this, then he will be moved to Neuromods

Oh weird. I completed that quest but Dahl was in atmosphere processing so all I had to do was walk in and zap him and leave. I suspect that's what most people encountered.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 18, 2017

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Palpek posted:

I really liked the open world and the combat with its emphasis on placement and parkour kung fu. Its a pretty good "reboot".

Sadly, its one of those rare games that gives me wicked bad motion sickness (Mirror's Edge 1 and Speedboat level of HL2, being the only other two instances).

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Snuffman posted:

Sadly, its one of those rare games that gives me wicked bad motion sickness (Mirror's Edge 1 and Speedboat level of HL2, being the only other two instances).

I feel your pain :smith:
Someone gifted my HL2 recently, and I got to exactly that swamp boat level when I had to lie down for an hour plus almost vomited.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Same here. If you want to power through it try play in a small window

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

sauer kraut posted:

I can't see how much it is because I already own it but if Titanfall 2 is discounted then get Titanfall 2

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This guy keeps posting dumb troll comments on my reviews. I guess I'll see if reporting people works. I honestly don't care, I just want to see if I can get him community banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone tried yonder? it looks so nice

• Locked thread