Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
And triple BFZ was good too, adding oath is what made it meh

Same with shadows + eldritch moon. The move to single set draft formats after Ixalan is gonna be a revival for limited play imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gyshall posted:

** cube is the best format
Cube is real good and they don't seem to carry about supporting it over much.

I mean this sounds super dumb but instead of making precon Ixalan deck game (which might be good, nicol bolas was p good) they could ship out 360 card theme cubes and people would buy the poo poo out of them.

It's not like you don't get most of the way with say, 3 commander decks.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

sit on my Facebook posted:

Same with shadows + eldritch moon. The move to single set draft formats after Ixalan is gonna be a revival for limited play imo

I didn't like BFZ draft that much. Green was extremely bad and the archetypes were a bit pigeonholed.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

I thought Shadows + Eldritch was still a pretty good draft format

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah I'm definitely down for one-set drafts. The thing Wizards commented on about small sets not being able to properly support the mechanics from the large set while also not having enough support for their own mechanics because they just don't have enough cards was spot-on.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

lazerwolf posted:

I thought Shadows + Eldritch was still a pretty good draft format

I was not good at it and this fact maaaay have colored my opinion on the thing

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
If they really want a non feel bad format for newer players, it's time to promote silverblack standard. Commons and Uncommons only.

Every tournament viable deck running $90+ is going to keep away most sane people. Unless you draft and trade a lot you're not likely to build even a tier 2 deck from drafting, and a newer player doesn't want to learn The Economy to turn their draft pickings into a playable deck.

So seriously. Common/Uncommon Standard. Lower the barrier to entry.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Voyager I posted:

Yeah I'm definitely down for one-set drafts. The thing Wizards commented on about small sets not being able to properly support the mechanics from the large set while also not having enough support for their own mechanics because they just don't have enough cards was spot-on.

Yeah. HoD/HoD/AMK feels really jarring.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Also the pre-releases are a lot more fun when it's 6 packs of the new set.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

I mean the article does say that this viewpoint from WotC is the problem.

yea sickening really did not get the point of that article at all

ThePeavstenator posted:

But I still think that the problem of spikes scaring away casuals is bullshit. People that are afraid of getting yelled at by grogs already aren't coming to FNM, and that's a product of what the stereotype of tabletop and TCG players are. They're not coming because they've got a preconceived notion that a bunch of turbo nerds are going to yell at them for not knowing what every card does. You can't make them come without drastically changing the way the public views D&D which actually is already happening, it's a big reason for the board game boom.

I've definitely observed new people showing up once or twice, get blown out because they either have an uber-casual deck or don't know how to draft yet, and then never coming back. That's partially on wizards for making the game inaccessible for budget players, and also partially a reality of any competitive endeavor. Whether it's sports or nerd poo poo, some people like to try and work at being good, and some people just want to do whatever and have fun (while winning at least some percentage of the time). If people are far apart on that spectrum, they aren't going to have a good time together. I had the experience with Disc Golf, dabbled in tournaments for a bit, realized I sucked, and decided I'd enjoy it more as a casual thing.

PJOmega posted:

Personally I'd love for competitive midweek magic to be a thing. Friday night is already heavily booked.

I was at a 50 person modern event last monday :coolspot:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

little munchkin posted:

yea sickening really did not get the point of that article at all

I didn't say the author had that viewpiont. I was trying to say that someone does (wotc).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The other store in my area does Modern Mondays and Legacy Wednesday. Friday is the only evening I consistently have off though so I'd rather they didn't gently caress with FNM too much (or least kept Modern as an FNM format)

Have you gotten more reps in with this deck? I have all the cards for a very similar version (and would just need the single Blood Moon for your build) but have been too lazy to actually sleeve it up.

E: Hahaha
https://twitter.com/misterpinder/status/887091017140195328

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 18, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Meanwhile, my FLGS is insisting that triple Hour is a supported drafting format.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

little munchkin posted:

I've definitely observed new people showing up once or twice, get blown out because they either have an uber-casual deck or don't know how to draft yet, and then never coming back. That's partially on wizards for making the game inaccessible for budget players, and also partially a reality of any competitive endeavor. Whether it's sports or nerd poo poo, some people like to try and work at being good, and some people just want to do whatever and have fun (while winning at least some percentage of the time). If people are far apart on that spectrum, they aren't going to have a good time together. I had the experience with Disc Golf, dabbled in tournaments for a bit, realized I sucked, and decided I'd enjoy it more as a casual thing.

This is my exact point. Not everyone wants to get good at games, some people just want to play casually. Getting better at disc golf wasn't something you wanted to invest time in, and no one is going to make you want to do that except yourself. Not everyone wants to be good at magic, and you won't make casual players suddenly want to spend lots of money on the game by making it so they lose less.

Sickening posted:

You know what would help casual players at FNM? If they power gap between common and mythic were a little closer.

Funnily enough, I noticed FNM attendance starting to go down when we were in the $500+ BFZ Hell Standard.

:thunk:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

The other store in my area does Modern Mondays and Legacy Wednesday. Friday is the only evening I consistently have off though so I'd rather they didn't gently caress with FNM too much (or least kept Modern as an FNM format)

Have you gotten more reps in with this deck? I have all the cards for a very similar version (and would just need the single Blood Moon for your build) but have been too lazy to actually sleeve it up.

just on cockatrice, which is awful testing data because people ragequit constantly (sometimes even after winning game one) in addition to all the normal reasons that cockatrice/xmage testing sucks

deck is clearly not competitive but it had enough game against real decks that I felt like it was worth building for some laughs. a lot of tier decks have a really difficult time with Sphere of Safety or Nevermore/Runed Halo. Like any reactive deck the tron matchups are awful. All Is Dust is a huge blowout and my last tron opponent killed me after paying 18 mana so his ulamog could attack.

I guess that's an old build, I replaced one runed halo with Gideon's Intervention, an O-Ring with Cast Out, and I'm probably gonna add a solemnity to the sideboard. Clearly the path to victory is running as many singletons as possible.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

I didn't say the author had that viewpiont. I was trying to say that someone does (wotc).

ahh my bad, it usually a safe bet to assume that posters in this thread are complaining about anything and everything

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

PJOmega posted:

If they really want a non feel bad format for newer players, it's time to promote silverblack standard. Commons and Uncommons only.

Every tournament viable deck running $90+ is going to keep away most sane people. Unless you draft and trade a lot you're not likely to build even a tier 2 deck from drafting, and a newer player doesn't want to learn The Economy to turn their draft pickings into a playable deck.

Yeah, I could probably actually get down with that if it was supported.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I liked Oath better than triple BFZ. Green was actually playable in Oath, and the UB/ UG / BG colorless decks were fun to draft.

The only other multi-set draft format I remember really liking was JOU-BNG-THS. But I never really drafted much triple-Theros so maybe it was better, I dunno.

PJOmega posted:

Do you people actually think Wizards would promote a format that requires barely any packs cracked per person to fuel it? You're nuts.

Fewer chase mythics like flip-Jace, Gideon and Avacyn would be good though.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 18, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

PJOmega posted:

I disagree with this assessment slightly. I'm fully on board with common and uncommon power level going waaay up in comparison to mythics, but I think building a deck from drafting is more possible now than is been in quite some time. If a new player were to draft every week/most weeks of HOD limited starting now, I put to you they could have an FNM winning deck on tap by the time Ixalan drops. With even a little bit of luck in your pulls and like maybe $25 cash you can have a deck that'll win a standard fnm.

I can post 3 lists right now that cost less than $90 starting from zero that I've actually taken to FNM and won the whole thing.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

Funnily enough, I noticed FNM attendance starting to go down when we were in the $500+ BFZ Hell Standard.

:thunk:

coming up to 2 years ago and I honestly don't think standard has ever recovered

The point where I stopped trying to keep up.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think having a format with prices like that put a fear into people that leading into bannings really wasn't a great combo.

Which is to say decks are not as expensive today as they were then, but people's memories of those high prices made them more emotional over the bannings.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

AceClown posted:

coming up to 2 years ago and I honestly don't think standard has ever recovered

The point where I stopped trying to keep up.

I decided to switch to modern then and I think a lot of other people did too. If you're going to spend $500 it might as well be on a deck that you can keep using.

Then Standard got cheaper but it sucked balls so people looked at it, went "lol", and continued having fun playing modern.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

That's exactly what I did as well. Don't think anything wotc could do now would ever persuade me to come back to standard.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Haven't masterpieces helped a lot on that front? Doesn't matter if it's cheap to play if the format sucks and you can only do it on Saturday nights, I guess.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The UR Skaab / Emerge deck is at least tier 2 in standard right now and I think the only > $5 cards in it are the Spirebluff Canals, Wandering Fumaroles and Kozilek's Returns.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

I can't agree with you. Triple BFZ is one of my least favorite draft formats; the color balance was way off, and the devoid-matters grixis theme sucked all the rest of the air out of the format.

Entropic posted:

The only other multi-set draft format I remember really liking was JOU-BNG-THS.

JOU-BNG-THS was great and somehow redeemed BNG.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Eela6 posted:

JOU-BNG-THS was great and somehow redeemed BNG.

I still think that whole block would have been better if they'd introduced Constellation in BNG and ditched whatever that dumb browbeat mechanic was called.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's okay, come to Duel Commander, where the metagame was shaken up because today they banned four tier 1 lists at once!

And they announced next season's bans will include Gitrog Monster and Titania!

WoTC was right to make their own banlist.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol they banned both Polymorph and Emrakul? Baral was that bad huh?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Haven't masterpieces helped a lot on that front? Doesn't matter if it's cheap to play if the format sucks and you can only do it on Saturday nights, I guess.

Oh yeah, this is one of the most expensive decks in standard at the minute
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/702268#paper

With the second place SCG deck coming in at about $150

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/702267#paper (More expensive online LOL)

The thing about standard is that the way it used to go was that you'd already be bought in to a standard deck and you'd have a good number of cards already so it's a lot cheaper to move in to new season deck by acquiring a few new cards. Super standard hosed this by bringing in $10 duals that some decks would run 8-12 of and that loving origins Jace hitting $90+ per card with most T1 decks running multiples.

As above, people went "gently caress this, may as well play Modern", moved all this expensive standard stuff in to modern staples and pretty much gave up on standard. We're in a position now where myself and lots of other people would have to buy in from the ground up and yeah stuff is cheaper but it's a full outlay of $200 to get back in the standard meta.

What WOTC should do is a one time massive print run of the top 8 standard decks in a full deck for something like $50-$80, take the hit on the standard sales and let people get that baseline deck then can change up when rotation hits. Just make it aware this is a one time offer to buy in to standard at a reasonable price and if you miss it tough poo poo.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Just ban everything then nobody can complain about broken decks.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

1) booooo

2) why would they announce this rather than, I dunno, just banning them?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I started right as fetchlands rotated and spent about $100 on a fun standard deck then when Eldritch moon came out and Emmy decks became a thing I bought into modern. The last standard deck I've bought was rg pummeler and i bust that out when I want to play standard because it was so cheap to buy into. I haven't been playing much standard though with so many broken decks that caused bannings and I'm very happy I bought into modern when I did.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Wurzag posted:

1) booooo

2) why would they announce this rather than, I dunno, just banning them?

OFS is joking/predicting that unbanning fastbond is going to make the good green land-based commanders too good, judging solely by his post because I'm too lazy to go to wizards.com

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So why is Tasigur banned as commander in the french rules? I must be missing something because he doesn't seem that abusable. Is paying 4 to draw cards really that broken?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

So why is Tasigur banned as commander in the french rules? I must be missing something because he doesn't seem that abusable. Is paying 4 to draw cards really that broken?

Can you delve to cast him from the command zone?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It's okay, come to Duel Commander, where the metagame was shaken up because today they banned four tier 1 lists at once!

I don't know much about paper duel commander but lol Fastbond is legal. What.

Lawnie posted:

Can you delve to cast him from the command zone?

Yes. He's just always a 1 mana 4/5.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

can i play the ezuri/skullclamp deck in duel commander? because that's all im interested in doing in that format

e: oh gaea's cradle is banned, those loving cowards

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 18, 2017

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Entropic posted:

The UR Skaab / Emerge deck is at least tier 2 in standard right now and I think the only > $5 cards in it are the Spirebluff Canals, Wandering Fumaroles and Kozilek's Returns.

Which deck is this? I like Skaabs and emerge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm okay with most of this but what the actual gently caress are those unbans?