Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Rirse posted:

but I already bought a used one for cheap so it too late now.

your entire history in these threads is bad purchasing decisions/remorse/damage due to impulse buying/modding/etc before asking questions and learning about what you are doing. perhaps you should think about what the universe is telling you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Nevermind, the order got cancelled so I don't have to worry about any of that poo poo now. Still probably like to get a PC Engine through, as I always wanted one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Japanese PC Engine controllers are compatible with the TG16, right? Controllers are likely cheaper from Japan if you get PC Engine, they were when I got PCE stuff but that was years ago when Rakuten was still a thing. Also bear in mind that all TG16/PCE consoles only have a single controller port, and you have to get a multi-tap to have more than 1 controller.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

univbee posted:

Japanese PC Engine controllers are compatible with the TG16, right? Controllers are likely cheaper from Japan if you get PC Engine, they were when I got PCE stuff but that was years ago when Rakuten was still a thing. Also bear in mind that all TG16/PCE consoles only have a single controller port, and you have to get a multi-tap to have more than 1 controller.

You'll need an adapter. The TG16's controller port is huge compared to the PC Engine.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You'll need an adapter. The TG16's controller port is huge compared to the PC Engine.

Son of a bitch, I had a feeling there was something like that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

univbee posted:

Son of a bitch, I had a feeling there was something like that.

Could always build your own cable. Just going from DIN to Mini DIN. Just need the pinouts which are widely documented.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rirse posted:

Nevermind, the order got cancelled so I don't have to worry about any of that poo poo now. Still probably like to get a PC Engine through, as I always wanted one.

Ask SA's own Monitor Burn for a nice, refurbished Duo or a Duo-R. You won't regret it.

I've been really happy with the Duo, the games are very different to ones you'd find on NES, SNES or Megadrive, they have their own distinctive "feel" and sound. Love me some Lords of Thunder.

As for controller, I recently got the Hori fighting commander and I heartily endorse it. Goes with the color scheme of my Duo as well.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 18, 2017

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
reminder that you can get DIN extension cables on mouser because PCE/TG16 cables are hella short. personally I use a mini DIN.

I think this is the one I use http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Tripp-Lite/P222-010/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsG1k5vdNM%2fc%2fK3vQU4tbnO

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Brings stack of one and two dollar N64 sports games up to counter: "It's not what it looks like! I just need the backs of the cases!"

(On an unrelated note; anyone want copies of Madden 64 and NFL Quarterback Club that only fit in Japanese N64's?)

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
I just pulled the trigger on a Framemeister and the one thing I'm still a little unsure about is if I need anything special to power it in the US.

I see that it uses the same plug type (A) but the voltage is different. Can I just plug it directly into the wall?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

pocket pool posted:

I just pulled the trigger on a Framemeister and the one thing I'm still a little unsure about is if I need anything special to power it in the US.

I see that it uses the same plug type (A) but the voltage is different. Can I just plug it directly into the wall?
The power supply that came with mine worked just fine with North American power.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pocket pool posted:

Yeah, it's fine. The US puts out slightly higher voltage than Japan but almost invariably electronics, even if they're not designed for international use, will work fine in the US (not in Europe or other 200+V territories).

For non-videogame stuff that's more analog/mechanical in nature, it may run slightly more powerfully (e.g. something with a motor can spin faster, that sort of thing) but, again, generally this isn't an issue anyway.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
In non bad purchasing idea news, I got the Gameboy I found at a yard sale out to try with the GB Everdrive I got for my GB Player. Good news it still works, bad news it has horizontal lines, which I heard are near impossible to get rid of. :smith:

Especially bad on the Castlevania game in the picture, as I can't see anything on the ground level.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So, is Star Fox 64 significantly easier in the Japanese version than the US one? I didn't find the US game to be challenging to just play through, but there were definitely bits that gave me a hard time. I just played through the Japanese version and shot right through it. I wound up going kind of up the middle so I wasn't just playing the easy stages. I know there's a lot more content in the game than just playing through the stages straight, I just remember it being trickier than this which is making me wonder about version differences.

On to Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox Assault. :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Random Stranger posted:

On to Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox Assault. :v:

It's all downhill from there!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/887327185836683266

August.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Looks pretty clean. I wonder what improvements it has over previous ones?

Incidentally, I think next Everdrive I buy will be the GB one, although I will have to get a Super Game Boy (2) next. (I don't have a Gamecube so no GB player for me) Maybe this year's Black friday...?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

TeaJay posted:

Looks pretty clean. I wonder what improvements it has over previous ones?

Incidentally, I think next Everdrive I buy will be the GB one, although I will have to get a Super Game Boy (2) next. (I don't have a Gamecube so no GB player for me) Maybe this year's Black friday...?

Krikzz posted:

Features list:
EverDrive-GB X7
-Max ROM size: 8MByte
-Max SAVE RAM size: 128KByte
-Save States function and In-Game menu function.
-Isolated RTC function. "Isolated" means that multiple games can use RTC without interference. Each game will have own copy of time.
-Instant loading.
-Low power consumption (approx 4x times less than original EverDrive-GB)
-GameGenie cheat codes
-Cart allow to return in menu without power off/on cycle.
-Supported mappers: MBC1, MBC2, MBC3, MBC5
-SDHC/SDXC support
-Compatible with all systems which supports GB and GBC cartridges, including Super Game Boy
-New OS. Now it more handy and fast. Supports up to 1000 files per folder.
-High quality 4-layers PCB

EverDrive-GB X5
Same as X7 minus save states, in-game menu and RTC

EverDrive-GB X3
Same as X5 but rehired reboot in menu to save game progress stored in SRAM (Like Mega-X3 or ED64-V2.5)

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Console5 has 6' controller extensions for the PC-Engine for $2.50 each: https://console5.com/store/atari-sega-commodore-6-3-6m-joystick-extension-cable-cord-by-retro-bit-1.html

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

http://www.avclub.com/article/atari-really-making-new-game-console-and-yes-its-w-258177

oh what the christ

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The comments are the best part of that article :allears:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Lower power consumption and a soft reset are enough to get me to double dip for the X7, I think.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rirse posted:

In non bad purchasing idea news, I got the Gameboy I found at a yard sale out to try with the GB Everdrive I got for my GB Player. Good news it still works, bad news it has horizontal lines, which I heard are near impossible to get rid of. :smith:

Especially bad on the Castlevania game in the picture, as I can't see anything on the ground level.

So replace the screen with a proper backlit screen with a bivert mod. And then you don't have to feel bad about hacking apart a still-working original DMG!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yeah, I think "oh what the christ" is pretty much everyone's response.

This feels more like a new Ouya or that weird retroconsole kickstarter scam than an actual platform. It's telling that among the general nerd community, the Atari consoles don't even "count" most of the time. They could have just announced themselves as a new console with a new brand and it would be exactly as effective.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone else waiting on their OSSC with HDMI Audio upgrade? I paid out so long ago now and I guess their installation workshop is really backed up or something. Pretty frustrating but I'm hoping the payoff is good enough to warrant the wait.

Should have just gone framemeister.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'll be honest, I like the look of the 2017600, but I am a sucker for fake wood paneling and tasteful LED lighting. I see literally no reason why I or anyone else might ever buy one, though.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Allen Wren posted:

I'll be honest, I like the look of the 2017600, but I am a sucker for fake wood paneling and tasteful LED lighting. I see literally no reason why I or anyone else might ever buy one, though.

Honestly, if it is pretty much a Steambox/Alienware Alpha with wood paneling and that sleek look... I'd consider one. Especially if it had a swappable GPU or atleast some external interface for an external GPU when the internal goes out of date like the Alienware Alpha R2 had.

However, it probably is just a fancy Ouya or the like that is able to play modern *cough*mobile*cough* games.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Allen Wren posted:

If it turns out to be a neat little Atari emulator with It quotes authentic controllers I might think about it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

It's telling that among the general nerd community, the Atari consoles don't even "count" most of the time.

This is an interesting line that I want to poke at a bit more, though. At this point, the NES is the only console of the 80s that still counts, so to speak, and only that because it was so revolutionary. I'd even argue that the SNES and Genesis are about to start not counting anymore. It's a sort of accelerated version of the concept of Sasha and Zamani, where the people for whom the earlier consoles were formative depart (or are ejected from) gaming fandom in that it is specifically youth- and current-generation focused.

Like you go on some kind of modern gaming stream (I don't do streaming apart from GDQ stuff and saltybet, so I may be misguided) and the cultural touchstones are more than likely not going to be 16-bit era or earlier.

to borrow from the title of an essay I once read, the golden age of gaming is 12.

in short, we're old, or something. I'm not good at essays on topics outside of my record collection.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, 12 is generally the "last" year of pure childhood with enormous amounts of free time, before some of the harsher expectations of middle/high school and things like puberty hit.

So people very commonly latch onto popular things they enjoyed when they were around that age in hopes that they'll be able to somehow use that to return to those carefree days.

univbee fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 19, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Allen Wren posted:

This is an interesting line that I want to poke at a bit more, though. At this point, the NES is the only console of the 80s that still counts, so to speak, and only that because it was so revolutionary. I'd even argue that the SNES and Genesis are about to start not counting anymore. It's a sort of accelerated version of the concept of Sasha and Zamani, where the people for whom the earlier consoles were formative depart (or are ejected from) gaming fandom in that it is specifically youth- and current-generation focused.

Like you go on some kind of modern gaming stream (I don't do streaming apart from GDQ stuff and saltybet, so I may be misguided) and the cultural touchstones are more than likely not going to be 16-bit era or earlier.

to borrow from the title of an essay I once read, the golden age of gaming is 12.

in short, we're old, or something. I'm not good at essays on topics outside of my record collection.

I'm not sure.

16-bit... the thing is the industry moved to 3D after that and there was a really janky awkward growing period with 3D. Then things got better and better and... 2D mostly fell off to handheld games.

I think SNES games are kinda timeless in the way that they're not the same as 3D games and their graphics are mostly very stylized and still appealing to today. They're not nearly as limited on palette or frames as the 8-bit era was... I dunno I just don't see that stuff "not counting" and less than it does now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Not to dismiss your point (especially since I think it's just fine), I was referring mainly to the mindshare the console occupy. I joke about it, but there are plenty of people who think that video gaming essentially started when the NES launched in the US. And if it's not a Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft, or Sony console then it's a minor footnote that's only worth mentioning in youtube videos with titles like "10 Super Obscure Video Game Consoles You Never Heard Of!" (number 3 is the Intellivision).

And that's not inherently a bad thing or a thing to be snobbish over; I'm the last person to say how people should approach their hobbies. But when you're releasing a new console and hoping to cash in on the Atari name, the fact that even nerds don't give a drat about the Atari name is a concern. My money is that we're going to be putting another tick on the "failed companies using the Atari brand" board. I think we're up to five at this point, maybe six depending on how you want to cut things.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If that Atari box is anything more than an android SOC I will poo poo.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Not to dismiss your point (especially since I think it's just fine), I was referring mainly to the mindshare the console occupy. I joke about it, but there are plenty of people who think that video gaming essentially started when the NES launched in the US. And if it's not a Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft, or Sony console then it's a minor footnote that's only worth mentioning in youtube videos with titles like "10 Super Obscure Video Game Consoles You Never Heard Of!" (number 3 is the Intellivision).

And that's not inherently a bad thing or a thing to be snobbish over; I'm the last person to say how people should approach their hobbies. But when you're releasing a new console and hoping to cash in on the Atari name, the fact that even nerds don't give a drat about the Atari name is a concern. My money is that we're going to be putting another tick on the "failed companies using the Atari brand" board. I think we're up to five at this point, maybe six depending on how you want to cut things.

I can see that, kind of like how when many people think of "the internet", it is the post dot-com era. Many people don't think of pre-2000's when they think of "the internet". Like many gamers don't think of pre-1985 when it comes to gaming. You ask them what the first gen is, and they would say NES era (most in the US wouldn't even say the SMS).

Gaming's 1983 crash is to the Internet's 2001 bubble burst or whenever it was, and the aftermath defined what it is today.

Is Alta Vista the 2600 of search engines? Or Yahoo? Well, didn't Yahoo use AltaVista? So is Yahoo the Sears Telegames?

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 19, 2017

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Right, yeah, that's what I'm getting at, mindshare. I just think that as time moves, more early-generation hardware is going to fall off into the void. And, yeah, there is no money in the Atari name.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

FireMrshlBill posted:

I can see that, kind of like how when many people think of "the internet", it is the post dot-com era. Many people don't think of pre-2000's when they think of "the internet". Like many gamers don't think of pre-1985 when it comes to gaming. You ask them what the first gen is, and they would say NES era (most in the US wouldn't even say the SMS).

Gaming's 1983 crash is to the Internet's 2001 bubble burst or whenever it was, and the aftermath defined what it is today.

Is Alta Vista the 2600 of search engines? Or Yahoo? Well, didn't Yahoo use AltaVista? So is Yahoo the Sears Telegames?

Ooooh the Ngage is Infoseek.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FireMrshlBill posted:

The first major search engine to really penetrate public consciousness? Yeah, the 2600 is the Alta Vista of consoles. Yahoo wasn't even a search engine at the time, so it's more like a Mattel electronic handheld game in this metaphor.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Martytoof posted:

Anyone else waiting on their OSSC with HDMI Audio upgrade? I paid out so long ago now and I guess their installation workshop is really backed up or something. Pretty frustrating but I'm hoping the payoff is good enough to warrant the wait.

Should have just gone framemeister.

I just received an audio board for mine. Seems like the installation should be easy enough. Pretty stoked to have another mini project this week.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

The first major search engine to really penetrate public consciousness? Yeah, the 2600 is the Alta Vista of consoles. Yahoo wasn't even a search engine at the time, so it's more like a Mattel electronic handheld game in this metaphor.

Ah, thats right, its been so long. Yahoo was more of a homepage with directories to other pages, plus chat and whatnot, I guess it didn't get search until later.

I remember the 2 times a year we would use the computer lab in school back in the 90's, it was the obligatory connect to the internet > double click on Netscape > go to Webcrawler or Alta Vista > search for whatever person or historical event about which you were supposed to write an essay, and now you know how to use the internet!

So was Web Crawler the Odyssey?

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Oddessy was AOL Keyword: search

• Locked thread