Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I miss being able to upgrade armor so you could bring light armor up to medium protection and wear whatever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Of all the criticism I've heard for Dark Souls 3, I never thought not having to upgrade your armor would be one. You already get like a 50% reduction just from wearing anything in every slot, which is a better upgrade from no armor in slot than light armor has ever been.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
upgrading light armor didn't improve it by that much relative to the cost though. like, black leather armor in ds1 eventually gets twice as good(in terms of defense, no poise benefit unlike actual medium armor), but you need to get to like +9 to actually reach that point,
which means dumping a lot of chunks into it for even one piece... and is totally impractical for a whole set unless you want to make yourself miserable farming darkwraiths.

and I mean, it's all relative right? you can say "eventually upgraded black leather armor is almost as good as black iron armor", but that's when you're comparing it to unupgraded black iron, which isn't really a fair comparison. if they're both unupgraded, the black iron has about double the defense of black leather. if they're both upgraded, it still has about double the defense of black leather... and either way it has poise.

and then on top of that, in ds1 raising your stamina stat also raises equip load, and FAP ring is busted good, so there's really no reason to not go for more heavy armor eventually. ds2 doesn't have that but has 70% breakpoint like ds3 while still having poise, so heavy armor is still usually what you want

basically I think light armor is, if anything, the most viable in ds3 because you don't have the huge incentive of (constant)poise and equip load boosting items/stats aren't quite as good as ds1
and yeah, heavy armor isn't better in terms of flat damage reduction than light in ds3, only absorption

fool_of_sound posted:

Armor is fairly important in DS3 due to how defense breakpoints work, so if you're wearing crap armor for fashion, you're going to be real squishy. You also pretty much need a bare minimum of 28 Vigor or you risk being 1-2 shot by major enemies when not embered. The only main game encounter I recall as being super tedious is the like eight hitscan hellnuns at the end of Irythill prison.
you can just run past them and they can't stop you

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Maleh-Vor posted:

Of all the criticism I've heard for Dark Souls 3, I never thought not having to upgrade your armor would be one. You already get like a 50% reduction just from wearing anything in every slot, which is a better upgrade from no armor in slot than light armor has ever been.

It's not about "having" to upgrade your armor, it was never a necessity, but the option was there if you wanted it and there was not much reason to remove it.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
My favorite hacker from Dark Souls 2 was being invaded by a guy named Ditto who had the exact same gear loadout as me, fashion and otherwise, for a straight duel. I would guess his stats were also identical, it wasn't like he had insane health or stamina or anything.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

It's not about "having" to upgrade your armor, it was never a necessity, but the option was there if you wanted it and there was not much reason to remove it.

There was also no real reason to retain it :shrug:

IronicDongz posted:

you can just run past them and they can't stop you

But treasure...! :saddowns:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the reason to remove armor upgrading is it's annoying(but the "smart" choice) to go through and upgrade all your armor

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So as a result of making the build randomizer, and the discussion here about an Ashen Estus only run - I decided to expand on that concept and started a "pure magic" run. The rules I set for myself were:

- Ashen Estus Only
- NO hand weapons of any kind aside from spell / miracle / pyro tools.
- no restrictions on what spells/miracles/pyros to use.

So far I made it to the dilapidated bonfire in the Village. Died the first time to Iudex Gundyr. Beat him the 2nd time after being completely out of FP and punching his last two hits' worth of HP with the R2 of the Pyro Flame in my right hand. Vordt took two tries as well. Not used to ranging him so I kept missing the dodge timing on a few of his attacks. Currently sitting at 18/18 Int/Fth with like 13 Vit. Have freed Cornyx, and Irina is next on the list so I can pack a Healing spell for emergencies.

I messed around a bit with a final build on Mugenmonkey. It's basically 48/40 Int/Fth (48 Int for CSS), 40 Att for 6 slots, and the rest in Vit up to SL 120, which puts Vit at 35. Was planning on varying up the spell loadout situationally. For ordinary mooks, Fireballs seems to be working just fine. Will probably try to save the tactical nuke spells for tough enemies/bosses.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Nakar posted:

Armor is extremely relevant in Bloodborne, it just never trivializes things. If you run lv5 FRC chalices and match to the damage type of a boss it can save your rear end going armor over fashion. Loran Darkbeast you probably shouldn't stack Lightning over physical defenses but if you do you will see a pretty sizeable difference in the electric swipes and AoE. Bloodletting Beast is also like mostly Blunt damage IIRC, at least every threatening attack he can use when you're hugging his flank.

True but how many people really played Bloodborne to that extent? I think I only really benefitted from armor when I faced the loving winter lanterns since I personally didn't get terribly deep into the chalice dungeons despite having done multiple playthroughs.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Excuse me.

If you use armor for defense you are literally playing this game wrong.

You're supposed to be prioritizing the Fashion stat.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tallgeese posted:

Excuse me.

If you use armor for defense you are literally playing this game wrong.

You're supposed to be prioritizing the Fashion stat.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

KingSlime posted:

True but how many people really played Bloodborne to that extent? I think I only really benefitted from armor when I faced the loving winter lanterns since I personally didn't get terribly deep into the chalice dungeons despite having done multiple playthroughs.
If you wanted the platinum trophy you had to go through at least one FRC dungeon. :sigh:

And then I decided I really wanted some top end gems. Just stick to farming the fat guys on a FRC first floor and never, never try to get Abyssals. :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IronicDongz posted:

the reason to remove armor upgrading is it's annoying(but the "smart" choice) to go through and upgrade all your armor

Again: You didn't ever have to do it. If you bothered to grind out the materials to upgrade your armor back in DS1 when you didn't want to do it, you wasted your own time and that's not the game's fault. It'd be the same if you did it now. I liked it in DS1 because it existed as a bonus way of protecting yourself from hits- it was never necessary, and it was minor enough that doing it didn't upset the balance of damage enemies do to you. But I look at the HP chopped off of your guy with every hit in the final stages of DS3 and I really really wish you still could because the last couple levels of this game really suck.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've been finding the last levels easy, but I'm a ten foot tall king of death and bloodshed wearing a thousand pounds of steel.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

he looks so ashamed

My old PS3 controller finally died last week during DS1 speedrun practice, so I decided I'll finally get around to beating DS3's DLC once my replacement arrives. Going to start a fresh character as I haven't played DS3 at all since release. I've decided I want to do a Barbed Straight Sword and Notched Whip for my weapons, but not sure what kind of spells to pair them with. If I go faith I can get Deep Protection and four kinds of weapon buff, but then I'll have no fire for dealing with leeches. I guess I could add a flame, but I'm already low of attunement slots in my build. And what about sorcery! How can I 100% the game without any int.

Did the DS3 community ever settle on a level for PvP? My build is assuming 120 is still where everyone hangs out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

120 seems to be the norm.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Welp I'll sacrifice a few points in luck and attunement, I'll have my choice of spook or chameleon, deep protection, a smattering of weapon buffs, my fancy bleed weapons, and a good roll.

Going to be reeeeal squishy though.

Now comes the truly hard part: Picking an outfit.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 18, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CJacobs posted:

Again: You didn't ever have to do it. If you bothered to grind out the materials to upgrade your armor back in DS1 when you didn't want to do it, you wasted your own time and that's not the game's fault. It'd be the same if you did it now. I liked it in DS1 because it existed as a bonus way of protecting yourself from hits- it was never necessary, and it was minor enough that doing it didn't upset the balance of damage enemies do to you. But I look at the HP chopped off of your guy with every hit in the final stages of DS3 and I really really wish you still could because the last couple levels of this game really suck.
I can't say I've had that experience, I didn't feel like I was taking significantly more damage in the endgame than earlier any of my playthroughs. At least, not in a way that I felt was out of line with the end of a game, or unfair/unfun.

Also I don't care if I don't have to do it, upgrading armor all the way to +6 was easy to do because you can buy shards and chunks. But it's annoying. It's annoying to do it because it means you're repeatedly going through the same menus, it's annoying not to do it because you know in the back of your head you're gimping your character for no reason.

Cuchulain posted:

My old PS3 controller finally died last week during DS1 speedrun practice, so I decided I'll finally get around to beating DS3's DLC once my replacement arrives. Going to start a fresh character as I haven't played DS3 at all since release. I've decided I want to do a Barbed Straight Sword and Notched Whip for my weapons, but not sure what kind of spells to pair them with. If I go faith I can get Deep Protection and four kinds of weapon buff, but then I'll have no fire for dealing with leeches. I guess I could add a flame, but I'm already low of attunement slots in my build. And what about sorcery! How can I 100% the game without any int.
You don't really need fire to deal with leeches, they're not common and not super tough to fight. I usually treat getting leeches on me the same way I treat poison, aka ignore it and sometimes heal.

WRT int-are you just talking about the achievement for getting all sorceries? Because you could always respec for that.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 18, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
If all else fails, you can always keep a torch in one of your off-hand slots to deal with maggot infections. Saves a lot of trouble.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Does fire remove leeches? I thought it just did good damage against leech monsters.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes, they explode off of you if you pull out a torch or otherwise set yourself on fire somehow. You don't even take bleed build up from being leeched if you already have it out. The Follower Torch you can find in Ashes of Ariandel completely neuters that area's final segment.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

And Tyler Too! posted:

My guy is dressed an Abyss Watcher and nothing is going to make me take that off. Today I discovered how ridiculous Onikiri and Ubadachi is. I started using it for shits & giggles as I came out of Duke's Archives and either I'm being invaded by dummies or this weapon is seriously unbalanced because I can keep people flinchlocked constantly and the bleed effect is icing on the cake. I +10'd it in a heartbeat.

I love the Onikiri and Ubadachi, but they became totally useless in The Ringed City because they do like zero poise damage. So crawling pilgrim assholes just cast that circle around you and your swords plink off their shell, and the ringed knights don't even flinch while they murder you.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Yes, they explode off of you if you pull out a torch or otherwise set yourself on fire somehow. You don't even take bleed build up from being leeched if you already have it out. The Follower Torch you can find in Ashes of Ariandel completely neuters that area's final segment.

Which is good cause otherwise it would be massively tedious.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only time I ever upgrade my armor in DS1 and 2 is once I'm done upgrading my weapon and don't need the particular material anymore. Usually this means I never upgrade the twinkling titanite armor.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like those enemies but I think they're too grab happy. Red moss clumps also make them pop off fwiw

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can I do the last boss then the DLC or will I need to start a new man/do it in NG+? I didn't realise I'd need to start a new guy and level all the way up or do the BB DLC in NG+ (and gently caress that first time) then cracked the shits like a massive baby.

I'm talking ashes and ringed city.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

JBP posted:

Can I do the last boss then the DLC or will I need to start a new man/do it in NG+? I didn't realise I'd need to start a new guy and level all the way up or do the BB DLC in NG+ (and gently caress that first time) then cracked the shits like a massive baby.

I'm talking ashes and ringed city.

You'll be given the option to start NG+ after the credits, just say no and you'll stay in your current game until you activate NG+ at the Firelink bonfire.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

fool_of_sound posted:

Which is good cause otherwise it would be massively tedious.
it's not so bad. you just gotta smack em as they come up to you

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Not many people on forums and stuff seem to use the boss drops, is there some massive advantage to using a regular weapon with a gem over my profaned greatsword and Vordt's hammer?

My build is basically 40/40/40 vit/vigor/str and I like big armour and big weapons. I've got titanite purchasing unlocked plus a couple of slabs in my inventory.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

JBP posted:

Not many people on forums and stuff seem to use the boss drops, is there some massive advantage to using a regular weapon with a gem over my profaned greatsword and Vordt's hammer?

My build is basically 40/40/40 vit/vigor/str and I like big armour and big weapons. I've got titanite purchasing unlocked plus a couple of slabs in my inventory.

It's mostly cause boss weapons A) can't take resins/buff spells, and B) because they're widely gimmick weapons with better mundane alternatives. That said I see a reasonable amount of Vordt Hammer, Farron Greatsword, Dragonslayer Axe, Firelink Sword, and Freide's Scythe. I'm told that Gundyr's Halberd used to be really popular too, but it's been replaced by Splitleaf. Frostbite tends to be pretty good, so Vordt is perfectly usable, especially if you back it up with Cold Snap.

e: Profaned Greatsword otoh is kinda just... bad when compared to other UGSs

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 18, 2017

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Dragonslayer swordspear is real fun, though I don’t know where it sits in the ~meta~.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
This game probably has the most balanced weapons in any Dark Souls. There's very few boss weapons that aren't at the very least decent, and everything can work well enough. Many are tuned towards kind of weird builds, like the Demon weapons, or the Dancer's Enchanted Swords, and have split damage, which is generally kind of not great.

Then again, lots of them also have interesting Weapon Arts which can be pretty powerful if you like using them, like the Dragonslayer weapons, the Demon Fist, and the Lothric Holy Sword. Some others, like Gael's Greatsword have very strong combos with their Weapon Arts. Even in pvp, some of those weapon arts are at the very least useful for catching people off-guard.

So while some of the weapons might not be ~optimal~ and have like 10% less AR than a regular weapon, they'll at least work decently, have some weird trick, or have +1 in Fashion. Just use whatever and have fun, hope this helps.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Fats posted:

Dragonslayer swordspear is real fun, though I don’t know where it sits in the ~meta~.

I've killed enough people who did not expect the weapon art to hit them for 800 damage to make up for all the people who have killed me using a better weapon. I just wish it weighted a little less.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Carl Seitan posted:

I love the Onikiri and Ubadachi, but they became totally useless in The Ringed City because they do like zero poise damage. So crawling pilgrim assholes just cast that circle around you and your swords plink off their shell, and the ringed knights don't even flinch while they murder you.

I'm about to start Ringed City and I am so tired of my Farron Greatsword. Are there any other similarly beefy weapons for DEX characters?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The one thing regarding weapon balancing that really annoys me is that when you dual wield a paired weapon, you do half damage with each one to balance out swinging around two weapons at once. But what this amounts to is doing less damage with slower attacks because you're only gonna hit with one of them more often than not.

edit: Also a lot of weapon arts do exactly as much damage as one R1 attack or less except they're slower and leave you open and that makes them feel kinda useless.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

And Tyler Too! posted:

I'm about to start Ringed City and I am so tired of my Farron Greatsword. Are there any other similarly beefy weapons for DEX characters?

Friede'a scythe is not very beefy per say but it hits like a truck and has nuts scaling

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Someone above said there was no need to play Dark Souls 1 because he/she already played DS2, DS3 and BB and that's enough. Well, I'm replaying DS1 now and I kid you not: the first half of this game may well be the best one of any game ever. The trip from Firelink to Blightown and back with no bonfire teleporting is the appex of exploration in the medium. The sense of isolation is so strong you feel it with your teeth. Each step is calculated, each corner a dread. No other game rivals this appex.

And I think this is where the series excels at - closed environments where you can't see whats around the corner, and must constantly reassess your capability to go on, with resources gradatively exhausting, the fear of a strong foe ever present, and no sign of the next bonfire. While DS2, DS3 and BB get glimpses of this here and there, Dark Souls 1 first-half gets it beautifully right.

lessavini fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 18, 2017

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I play dark souls for the action elements, not the survival horror of the early first game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

fool_of_sound posted:

I play dark souls for the action elements, not the survival horror of the early first game.

Yeah I just want to beat the poo poo out of stuff in a good combat engine.

E: that long stretch also sounds like the birth of turtle mode souls gaming which is boring as gently caress and has likely ended up costing players their opportunity to yell "test your might!" at the tv while whirling a massive hammer around without a shirt on.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

lessavini posted:

must constantly reassess your capability to go on, with resources gradatively exhausting, the fear of a strong foe ever present, and no sign of the next bonfire

this is video game crack to me (not surprisingly I am a big fan of dungeon crawlers where the stakes are high, like Etrian Odyssey)

I love that sense of "am I straying too far from home base??"

It's extremely primal/visceral and great and everyone go away you're ruining the things i like with your different opinions about what the series excels at