Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Not sure if this was brought up but from earlier today:

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/887335851528728576

:negative:

It's like ... the gently caress? The polling was all done 3-6 days after Jr released the emails himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Peven Stan posted:

Stories like this remind me of my bosnian coworker who says living in america right now is just like living in yugoslavia right before the collapse. On the surface, people are all on the same team but in reality there are huge fissures that are just waiting to blow.

That's srt of terrifying, can we not be the next Yugoslavia please?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Glumslinger posted:

Honestly, the person in this whole thing that makes me the saddest is Alex Jones. He gets delivered a conspiracy theorists dream, like an actual scandal about heads of nations having secretive and private schemes, but he can't even loving jump on it. Like this should be the culmination of his decades of BS about an NWO or global elite conspiring, but nooooo. He jumped on the Trump horse and now has to pretend that everything is normal and that our president isn't doing insanely shady and illegal stuff.

Its like a really lovely greek tragedy

As I've said before: Alex Jones and co don't actually hate the idea of FEMA camps, the NWO, and other such poo poo. They only hate the idea of those things happening when it's not their side doing it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That's srt of terrifying, can we not be the next Yugoslavia please?

Yugoslavia was riven by ethnic divides exploited by shithead leaders.

We should be fine.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Evil Fluffy posted:

As I've said before: Alex Jones and co don't actually hate the idea of FEMA camps, the NWO, and other such poo poo. They only hate the idea of those things happening when it's not their side doing it.

also reminder that I believe it was a ... joke around AJ's staff? that they're not entirely sure if he might have possibly voted for Obama to keep the train running. Wanna see if I can track down that quote

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Projection as a political strategy. That's pretty much the American right in a nutshell. They know that they're real ideas are unpopular so they try and claim that the opposition is doing it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

So the piss tape runs for at least 40 minutes. Good to know.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

BiggerBoat posted:

But wouldn't a Medicare buy in or a public option save rich business owners more money than the tax cuts? Seems to me, even with a tax increase to cover more people, the economics would be a wash for them at least. I think the prevailing sentiment with these folks is "money good" over "1. Government bad" and I can't see how they'd lose money on real UHC. Maybe the super super wealthy but not the 6 figure types who mostly vote GOP.

Plenty of things would make life significantly better for Republican voters that they are against.

That's the core of it. While the "job desperation" thing might be part of it, the biggest reason is Government BAD.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

No Safe Word posted:

It's like ... the gently caress? The polling was all done 3-6 days after Jr released the emails himself.

White identity politics is a hell of a thing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

No Safe Word posted:

Proof being a Trump voter should bar you from any job that requires a 10 or higher IQ. Hell, being a Trump voter should be recognized as symptom of mental illness.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

No Safe Word posted:

See, what you're discovering here, is that there is a nontrivial fraction of the American public who has no idea what is going on at any given time.

They haven't been watching the news. Even Fox News. They have no idea what the gently caress has been happening since January 20, and in many cases they believe Obamacare has already been repealed and the result has taken effect, because there is no possible way for them to be exposed to any other alternative view.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Steve Bannon has the look of a science fiction author who died drunk on a houseboat.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Peven Stan posted:

Stories like this remind me of my bosnian coworker who says living in america right now is just like living in yugoslavia right before the collapse. On the surface, people are all on the same team but in reality there are huge fissures that are just waiting to blow.

On the surface, we don't even appear to be on the same team.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

No Safe Word posted:

I wouldn't take it at face value. Most normal people don't pay attention to politics in between elections. So a lot of those people are going off vague memories of snippets of news they overheard while ordering their lunch or flat gut feeling. Add in that people are less likely to accept evidence of things that contradict what they want to believe, and 45% is actually rather encouraging.

Also there's no way only 24% don't know, that's just the honest ones.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yugoslavia was riven by ethnic divides exploited by shithead leaders.

We should be fine.

We're not going to be Yugoslavia, but, uh, this is not the thing I would say to try and prove that

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

No Safe Word posted:

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/887336185202343936

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/ABCWorldNews/status/887443615114551297
:getin:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Covok posted:

I long for the day Trump does a rally and the only people who show up are protesters.

Are these diehard Donnie dicksuckers showing up to these rallies jobless? Like it's like they're those crazy sports/music superfans that follow the team/band around and live in a car just outside the (last)event.

Also how are the events organized? The Secret Service must be running ragged trying to make sure these events are safe.(also how much Secret Service money is been dumping into Donnie's hole?)

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Isn't that bad?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

Isn't that bad?

I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't it amount to Mueller saying, "they are of no use/interest to me, you can have them"?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Blitz7x posted:

Isn't that bad?

It's gonna be so good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

They don't care as long as they win. This isn't new. And they will take help from anywhere.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Or it means "whatever they said in their sworn testimony is all I need".

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Read the article you goons

quote:

Donald Trump Jr. and Paul Manafort have been cleared by special counsel Robert Mueller to testify in an open session before the Senate Judiciary Committee about their June 2016 meeting in Trump Tower with a Russian attorney, according to the committee's ranking member Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.

Feinstein, who met with Mueller last month, shared the information with reporters Tuesday, later adding that the special counsel's investigation would "not be a problem" that would prevent their testimony. The news of the pair's clearance to be interviewed was first reported by CNN.

Presumably it means that they are not holding confidential information, and a public testimony seems to be in Muller's favor.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Jives with that consistent ~85% of Trump voters that always looooooove him like no other. Highest of all time, even over Reagan, if that gives you an idea of how he will be viewed historically.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

Isn't that bad?

No.

It means they have all they need.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Blitz7x posted:

Isn't that bad?

Phrasing. They aren't cleared of charges, Mueller has just told the Senate that his investigation would not prevent them from testifying in front of Congress.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What percent of respondents in those surveys identified as Trump voters?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

trickybiscuits posted:

Interesting article from the New Yorker: How Trump Is Transforming Rural America. It seems like a lot of the research was done before July but I don't imagine people's opinions have changed htat much since then.

what

Yeah there was a bizarre article that got posted right after the election from some rando dude who writes witch fiction but it was fantastic.

Basically his whole thing broke down to Trump has this weird ability to take criticism and project it onto his followers as criticism onto them. Like everyone in the world is making fun of Trump's ridiculous combover, but somehow that resonates with his supporters. Trump lies about how much money he has and people reject him for that, but to his followers it's a plus.

The more the "elites" rejected trump, the more his followers loved him.

It was spot on as poo poo

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

I think it just means that no matter what they say, they're already so unadulteratedly hosed so why not let them testify.
Hell, they could probably get them on some perjury charges or something as a victory lap.

...hopefully :ohdear:

I know that the congressional testimony is just gonna be Grassley and Burr being like "so let's talk about how hosed up the dems and hillary are for six hours" but still

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Spiritus Nox posted:

We're not going to be Yugoslavia, but, uh, this is not the thing I would say to try and prove that

:thejoke:

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Rep. Adam Smith (WA) would visit my dad's high school AP Civics class every year up until my dad passed away. He then passed a resolution in the House honoring him. Thanks Adam :glomp:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah there was a bizarre article that got posted right after the election from some rando dude who writes witch fiction but it was fantastic.

Basically his whole thing broke down to Trump has this weird ability to take criticism and project it onto his followers as criticism onto them. Like everyone in the world is making fun of Trump's ridiculous combover, but somehow that resonates with his supporters. Trump lies about how much money he has and people reject him for that, but to his followers it's a plus.

And because he's an obese, racist, sexist moron. Just like they are.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Trump Jr gonna gently caress it up and admit to something worse.

"That wasn't the meeting that we discussed payment." Or some such.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FizFashizzle posted:

imo americans have always liked to piss on each other despite our nationalist tendencies but it's getting real Real now that the long midcentury prosperity boom is over and rural/exurban white folks are back to being at the bottom of the poo poo pile instead of held up as norman rockwell exemplars of true america

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Blitz7x posted:

Isn't that bad?

it means they get to perjure themselves publicly

there is zero chance don jr at least doesn't lie under oath

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

even peeling 16% of his base is significant, and that will grow once it's actually proven publicly he has and is still committing felonies

edit also lol

https://twitter.com/mollyesque/status/887427143675912192

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What percent of respondents in those surveys identified as Trump voters?
Good hunch.

quote:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2017/PPP_Release_National_71817.pdf:
Q56 In the election for President, did you vote for Republican Donald Trump, Democrat Hillary Clinton, Libertarian Gary Johnson, Green Party candidate Jill Stein, or someone else?
Donald Trump 42%
Hillary Clinton 46%
Gary Johnson 3%
Jill Stein 1%
Someone else 8%

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

trickybiscuits posted:

Interesting article from the New Yorker: How Trump Is Transforming Rural America. It seems like a lot of the research was done before July but I don't imagine people's opinions have changed htat much since then.

what

This is a wild ride right here.

quote:

Donald Trump lost those two counties by two hundred and seventy-three thousand votes, and he won the rest of the state by a hundred and forty thousand votes,” Steve House, the former chair of the state Republican Party, told me. “That means that most of Colorado, in my mind, is a conservative state.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/AP/status/887449114950217729

How paid-off is Huntsman? I'm going with "probably very"

• Locked thread