Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
What if Dougie was made out of Windom's soul and his prints come back as Windom's. Would Cole think that it's Windom in a perfect Coop disguise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think there will be a season 4, no one minds being back on the gravy train. You heard it here first

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

If they end on a cliffhanger and don't do a season 4 I will murder somebody.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'd guess Lynch is the deciding factor on that. It's not like anyone in the cast has agents knocking down their doors at this point, and Showtime doesn't exactly have a wide selection of prestige television. I don't even think they've sniffed 2 million non-streaming viewers on a show since Dexter ended.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think there will be a season 4, no one minds being back on the gravy train. You heard it here first

Obviously. David Lynch desperately needs the money so he can make America invincible again, or whatever his sect is currently doing.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

JazzFlight posted:

If they end on a cliffhanger and don't do a season 4 I will murder somebody.

It will end with Dougie and Doppel-Coop making out in front of the mirror in room 315 of the Great Northern.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It will end with Dougie and Doppel-Coop making out in front of the mirror in room 315 of the Great Northern.

"Love you." "uoy evol" And then someone opens the door and sees Coop fake making out with himself, but the doppelganger is gone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So what you're saying is you wanna see Cooper making out with his hand like a teenage boy practicing kissing as much as I do, then

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CJacobs posted:

So what you're saying is you wanna see Cooper making out with his hand like a teenage boy practicing kissing as much as I do, then

Say hi to Mr. C:

I was actually thinking of this, though:

Also, yes I do, now that you mention it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm hoping the last big sequence of the series is a mirror of season 2's (or at least happens at some point), with Good Coop chasing Bad Coop in the lodge and catching up to him. I think that'd be kind of awesome.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
This all begs a rather obvious question, what is the end to Twin Peaks? What is the final resolution that completes the story? The original TV series was a mess that was heavily compromised by the network and Lara Flynn Boyle and wasn't what was intended. It was supposed to be three series with the central mystery left unsolved. That didn't happen and I get a sense that that informs what this current thing is. To me that's the most interesting thing about it. For me Twin Peaks should have been something that was left alone as a sort of flawed masterpiece, a lucky hit that fell foul to the fickle nature of television. But no, it persisted with a film that span it out in an uncomfortable direction and now this that spins it out in another uncomfortable direction.

I kind of think that the experience of what happened to the original idea of Twin Peaks is a big influence on Lynch's work after it. Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway and Inland Empire are all stories that are told wrongly. They're all quite simple stories that are warped and obfuscated and sliced and diced and use that, use the massacring of narrative for effect.

There's two element to this new series, one is the plot plain and simple, and it's a logical and straightforward plot that picks up this thread of sense out of an antique cowturd and runs with it. But there's also this constant nagging irritation of the passage of time and of poor resolution in the original show. Cooper's hosed. Diane's a turncoat alcoholic. Margaret's dying. Harry's dying. Everything is wrong and what if its because the story never panned out how it should. That's quite artistically beautiful when you think about it and opens the door for some very interesting ideas of how this could resolve. I've read a few theories in the last few days that we could be seeing a non-reality, or at least a wayward reality that can be resolved back to Wholesome Twin Peaks drat Fine Cherry Pie somehow. Really though I'd like to see none of that come about and instead it be a show about how life never works out how you plan and sometimes poo poo just happens, but it's an interesting idea.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

And More posted:

Say hi to Mr. C:

I was actually thinking of this, though:

Also, yes I do, now that you mention it.

There was a Freakazoid gag like this. I remember it from childhood.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I don't understand the thought that "Diane can't possibly really be working for Evil Coop. Either she's working with someone to take him down or he's blackmailing her somehow."

Why couldn't she be willingly working for him? What do we really know about Diane? All we've known about her up until this season is that she's the woman who Coop dictated his thoughts to. We've never been given any insight into what kind of person she actually is. We don't know that she's not evil.

What do we actually know about her relationship with either Coop? How do we know that she hasn't been working for Evil Coop for the past twenty-five years? Hell, Gordon and Albert seem to have completely lost track of her for most of that time period. How do we know that the scene at the prison wasn't an act? What if "Do you remember the last time we saw each other?" was a coded message? He's been doing the coded message thing all season long.

Up until now Diane has always been a blank slate character and I feel like over the past twenty-five years people have been coming up with a mental picture of who she is and what she's like that has no actual basis in the show. And now Lynch is systematically destroying that image.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Also, how do we know that Richard is Audrey's kid? What if he's Johnny's?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Modrasone posted:

This all begs a rather obvious question, what is the end to Twin Peaks? What is the final resolution that completes the story?

There doesn't need to be a resolution to "twin peaks", but this new series could be wrapped up in a satisfactory way. Bring a resolution to the Cooper storylines, mainly. It's not like they need to destroy the lodges and put an end to all the supernatural stuff.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Modrasone posted:

I kind of think that the experience of what happened to the original idea of Twin Peaks is a big influence on Lynch's work after it. Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway and Inland Empire are all stories that are told wrongly. They're all quite simple stories that are warped and obfuscated and sliced and diced and use that, use the massacring of narrative for effect.

Twin Peaks itself was formed from Ronnie Rocket, which is a far messier tale than what happened to Twin Peaks. Sure, ABC really hosed him on Twin Peaks, but by that point he'd been hosed by AFI on his first script, De Laurentiis on Dune, and basically everybody on Ronnie Rocket.

Weirdly, the production of Mulholland Drive was almost the same story again. He pitched it to ABC as a series (again), they gave him the cash for the pilot then shelved it indefinitely and told him to gently caress off. Canal+ was smart enough to buy the rights and give him the finishing funds to turn it into a feature, but ABC nearly killed that film before it was even a film.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

No no Dougie that's not how you make snow angels at all, move your arms to the sides

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

...! posted:

I don't understand the thought that "Diane can't possibly really be working for Evil Coop. Either she's working with someone to take him down or he's blackmailing her somehow."

Why couldn't she be willingly working for him? What do we really know about Diane? All we've known about her up until this season is that she's the woman who Coop dictated his thoughts to. We've never been given any insight into what kind of person she actually is. We don't know that she's not evil. […]

Up until now Diane has always been a blank slate character and I feel like over the past twenty-five years people have been coming up with a mental picture of who she is and what she's like that has no actual basis in the show. And now Lynch is systematically destroying that image.

All the goodwill Diane enjoys is basically created through Cooper. He is the moral hero of the original show, someone who is simply good. If Cooper trusts Diane with his most intimate thoughts, from the utterly banal to deeply human feelings, it seems like Diane must be worthy of our trust. This is why I don't want to believe that Diane would knowingly betray the real Cooper.

CJacobs posted:

No no Dougie that's not how you make snow angels at all, move your arms to the sides

That's just how you Dougie. :colbert:

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Modrasone posted:

This all begs a rather obvious question, what is the end to Twin Peaks? What is the final resolution that completes the story? The original TV series was a mess that was heavily compromised by the network and Lara Flynn Boyle and wasn't what was intended. It was supposed to be three series with the central mystery left unsolved.

I thought it was intended to run forever, like a normal daytime soap.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lynch has said one of the main reasons he wanted to return is because he felt the story wasn't done, so he must have an ending in mind.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I rewatched that bedroom scene and I'm pretty sure he gave consent:

http://i.imgur.com/WILF5P8.gifv

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Doug Fucks

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I was kinda on board but you lost me with the idea of it being some meta-masterwork. This kinda analysis is what is really problematic for Lynch's work especially but any work really. It's CD-level analysis that is apologestic for sloppy and flawed work. I'm not saying Lynch has to follow "rules", because his best work comes from transgressing film and TV tropes and structure, but that had an internal logic that once you got on board with it clicked. Heck, I really don't care for Inland Empire but I can buy into it's structure and editing moreso than Twin Peaks Season 3.

I'm not on some crusade but I find this kind of critical approach actually very uncritical. I just want to to dispel the idol of Lynch to actually understand this season. Lynch is still working within an entertainment industry so he's still chained to system and somehow elevating above it just doesn't sit right with me.

Zmej fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 19, 2017

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Escobarbarian posted:

You seem to have a real trouble with adult discussion. Perhaps you should go hang around the GBS thread.

I think it's personally completely valid to note that Dougie IS still an unable-to-consent babyman - even if he clearly ended up enjoying it, he doesn't have the mental capacity to give a clear affirmative. Does this bother me that much, really? Nah. It's a funny scene and the creepiness is clearly an oversight. But to whine at all about bringing it up is just the lamest poo poo

You seem to be taking me agreeing with someone rather personally.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

tap my mountain posted:

What if Dougie was made out of Windom's soul and his prints come back as Windom's. Would Cole think that it's Windom in a perfect Coop disguise?

Dougie is gone. Dale Cooper arrived in his own body. He did not enter Dougie's.

Dougiecoop's prints will ding the FBI database. It will lead Gordon Cole and the gang to haul rear end to him thinking they got a bead on Danzig.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

...! posted:

Also, how do we know that Richard is Audrey's kid? What if he's Johnny's?

Well who raped Johnny?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

Well who raped Johnny?
Season finale is everyone applauding in a circle via Evangelion as each character reveals they were raped by another character. Everyone in this thread dies from a stroke as they furiously try to post.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
What if Richard is Donna's kid :psyduck:

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
My favorite aspect of this whole Dougie Janey-E rape nonesense is the fact that if the roles were reversed and we were talking about a female in Dougie's place... there would be no question. None. It would be a crime. Period.

But since it's a dude, there are people literally doing mental gymnastics to say it's cool that would never say the poo poo they are saying if it was a female character.

I wish Dale was saying, "No, no." during the entire thing. It would be just as great as a loving burnt lumberjack demon crushing innocent people's skulls while reciting lovely Haiku over AM radio.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And this after the whole season to date has gone out of its way to shout through a bullhorn at the audience that rape is not equivocable and consent is 100% a thing.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Cromulent posted:

I've been enjoying Peaked too, probably my favorite Twin Peaks podcast. Although not to diminish my compliment, I was surprised that all of the Twin Peaks podcasts I tried were pretty solid. I did find "Diane" to be a bit too positive though, where pretty much any and all cockamamie theories presented are received with a friendly "Hmm!" The Idle Thumbs podcast wasn't bad, it's very thorough but also pretty dry.

I've been listening to both Diane and Peaked and like them both for different reasons.

Diane tends to put out more stabs at symbolism, or at least did initially, but I sort of agree that I've been noticing lately that they are just gushing over everything and throwing out theories that seem way off track. I felt like episode 10 was, in the context of what we've seen so far, the weakest episode. Yet the Diane crowd said it was great and seemed to praise all the things I thought sort of brought it down. But, I know this is a show that different people get different things out of, so maybe it's just a difference of opinion.

I like Peaked, because at least Bing isn't a total fanboy so you get some dissenting opinions, and it somewhat distills the big points brought up in this thread down so. The downside is that now I read all of Escobarbarian's posts in his voice.

There's still some things I feel like I need to put together from Ep. 10 because with Game of Thrones starting I'm not getting to watch the episode a second time immediately after with a more critical eye, and this week has been hectic so I've still only seen it once.

With the pace of the main Mr. C/Dougie plot I am starting to think that we'll just have Dougie slowly lead around by fate/karma/whathaveyou to finally meet up with Mr. C at "The Site" or Glastonbury Grove (if they're not the same) where he will by some set of Rube-Goldberg events become Cooper and drag Mr. C back into the Lodge, never to appear again, with whoever happens to be around just looking around in confusion and then credits.

And then after credits Laura Palmer's doppelganger will jump toward the camera screaming, like the monkey at the end of Pirates of the Carribbean.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjeCNnbVYAQ

So loving good then, even better 26 years later :unsmith:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

Well who raped Johnny?
Diane, no :ohdear:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PureRok posted:

You seem to be taking me agreeing with someone rather personally.

I don't know about personally, but I definitely (as I've mentioned way too much already) have a chip on my shoulder about this whole "rape????? what????? man you goons are obsessed with rape!!!!!!!" thing. Seems like kind of an intellectually dishonest way of refusing to fully interact with the text as is, and people attempting to shut down valid discussion because of their own feelings that talking about this poo poo makes them uncomfortable etc. well, that's using the most hyperbolic language possible, obviously it isn't that big of a deal

And I personally am not bothered really by the Dougie sex scene, as I've mentioned, but I totally get why people would be and think it's worth discussing. As one poster mentioned, imagine that poo poo gender-flipped.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Here's a new angle: Should the disabled be allowed to have sex?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Looks like you're right. I thought he was inside but I guess he's the mysterious benefactor.

Is that David Cross on the right?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
naomi watts loving catatonic kyle machlachlan was both creepy and funny. both sides are right and we can all be friends.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Khagan posted:

Is that David Cross on the right?

Tobias is in trouble this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Is this a British thing? I noticed the Diane podcast people referring to visual things as "text". Does that just mean "this specific piece of work" regardless of medium?

David Cross is not in that picture, but he is playing drums next to Moby in the band at the end.