Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I heard people talking poo poo about Popplio and Pirmarina, and I came here to post that Litten goes from the best starter to the absolute worst (of it's gen) and that's super disappointing. Like, a wrestle cat could be cool. But it's not. But it's better than the owl that doesn't even have 2 good forms. Popplio starts as a fun goofy pokemon, *fake coughs through mentioning of second form because it sucks too*, and it becomes a mermaid monster mythology thing. It's the best. :colbert:

edit: yet another terrible new page post by Hrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Seeing all this negativity about a top-five pokemon might be what it takes for it to crack my top three

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hrist posted:

I heard people talking poo poo about Popplio and Pirmarina, and I came here to post that Litten goes from the best starter to the absolute worst (of it's gen) and that's super disappointing. Like, a wrestle cat could be cool. But it's not. But it's better than the owl that doesn't even have 2 good forms. Popplio starts as a fun goofy pokemon, *fake coughs through mentioning of second form because it sucks too*, and it becomes a mermaid monster mythology thing. It's the best. :colbert:

Actually Brionne is extremely adorable but its official art is kinda crap so you if you forgot how it looks in-game you can be forgiven

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

Seeing all this negativity about a top-five pokemon might be what it takes for it to crack my top three

The top 5 pokemon are

Tyrantrum
Scolipede
Sableye
Mimikyu
Vikavolt

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The top one is Hydreigon.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Actually Brionne is extremely adorable but its official art is kinda crap so you if you forgot how it looks in-game you can be forgiven

It has maybe my favourite animations in the game. It does a little spin when it attacks and it looks so happy. :3:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The top Pokémon is Hitmontop, because it's always... on top

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Pokémon Sun and Moon is ultimately about how invasive species are a threat to local flora and fauna.

Invasive species include: ultra beasts, Pokémon League, player character

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Porygon2
Cofagrigus
Weavile
Durant
Machamp

:getin:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Star Man posted:

Pokémon Sun and Moon is ultimately about how invasive species are a threat to local flora and fauna.

Invasive species include: ultra beasts, Pokémon League, player character

I hope USUM introduces a seal clubbing species to Alola, to hunt the Popplio line to extinction

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hrist posted:

Dapper little owl with a bow tie and bird Robin hood are great you garbage person

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zoran posted:

The top one is Hydreigon.

Hydreigon was such a disappointment after deino and zweilous

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Zore posted:

Monferno and Frogadier are by far the worst stages in their respective lines.

I'm not a fan of Greninja's tongue scarf. I think Frogadier looks better.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

The top 5 pokemon are

Tyrantrum
Scolipede
Sableye
Mimikyu
Vikavolt

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Porygon2
Cofagrigus
Weavile
Durant
Machamp

:getin:

Actually it's
Breloom
Garchomp
Primarina
Gardevoir
And a rotating fifth that depends on my mood

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Looking at all the starters, there's a trend: The Gen 1 starters are pretty samey, all of them are reptilian creatures that simply become bigger reptilian creatures, but they're gradually replaced by mammals. Although a few birds and amphibians are thrown in once in a while, its still now mostly mammals. They also add anthropomorphic elements into them. Most of them now become bipeds and take on some kind of Dungeons and Dragons character classes (which is especially evident in the Gen 6 and 7 starters).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zuzie posted:

Looking at all the starters, there's a trend: The Gen 1 starters are pretty samey, all of them are reptilian creatures that simply become bigger reptilian creatures, but they're gradually replaced by mammals. Although a few birds and amphibians are thrown in once in a while, its still now mostly mammals. They also add anthropomorphic elements into them. Most of them now become bipeds and take on some kind of Dungeons and Dragons character classes (which is especially evident in the Gen 6 and 7 starters).

Noted DnD class pro wrestler

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

all the Alola starters are good

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zuzie posted:

Starters have always mostly been or become bipeds. Its 2/1 every gen with the exception of 5th and 6th where we had 2 non-bipeds in 5th and no non bipeds in 6th.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The only fire starters I don't like are the fox wizard and the pig warrior. The rest are amazing

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zuzie posted:

I think Gen 6 guys are explicitly based on RPG classes while Gen 7 are supposed to be circus performers/entertainers

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gen 7 starters are based on being extremely good and cool.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

heel wrestler cat is an incredible design and idea and ill never understand people who don't dig it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zelder posted:

heel wrestler cat is an incredible design and idea and ill never understand people who don't dig it

Because its a great idea executed poorly.

I

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mew is the best legendary

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Zore posted:

I

What the gently caress

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Hawlucha should have a jobber baby version

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Zore posted:

Actually, it's flawless,

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

EmmyOk posted:

I think he's saying those are all the starters who look better than any of their evolutionary forms

This is correct.

These are all the best starters, and if the other starters simply went and died in a hole the Pokemon world would be a much more beautiful place.

There, I said it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

Hydreigon was such a disappointment after deino and zweilous

What do you, hate weed or something?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

VanSandman posted:

I feel like starters should all be various forms of sweepers in the end. It'd give kids a hard hitter to make the game easier if they got a useful 'mon right out of the gate.

This would be cool! The games should make doubles the single player standard and have each starter have a different role in doubles, and have the tutorial and minor dialogue things change to tell you how to play your starter most effectively

Either way doubles needs to become the standard

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
We need a proper Battle Royale format. 6 vs 6 Pokemon all at once in a huge mess.

Not on the 3DS though.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Heel cat is great, Robin Hood owl is great, Mermaid sealion is pretty good. Charmander, Totodile, and Chimchar are the top three starters of all time.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Best grass starter: Bulbasaur

Best fire starter: Torchic

Best water starter: Popplio

And that's my hot take on the situation, honorable mentions go to Pikachu and Eevee.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I liked when we were doing these in the discord chat:

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lezard_valeth posted:

But if I did have to choose final evos I guess I would go with Incineroar. Decidueye's design looks dumb and Primarina's theme and powers revolve mostly around voice powers and in a franchise where you can summon a Draco Meteor, voice powers are dumb.

This is true and it makes it all the more amazing that Jigglypuff is able to overcome its voice-based handicap and retain the title of Greatest Pocket Monster for the 21st consecutive year.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Something buggy is going on in my copy of HeartGold, and I haven't found any mention of it on the internet. Maybe you guys might know something.

I am catching all the various Pokémon species available in HG and SS in apricorn balls. This is encountering a hitch with Fast Balls. In my copy of HG, when I give Kurt yellow apricorns, he gives Moon Balls back! He used to make Fast Balls normally, so this is doubly confusing.

This wouldn't normally be a huge problem except that apricorns and apricorn balls can't be traded in Gen 4. What is going on here?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yellow is supposed to give moon balls, fast balls come from whites.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Avalerion posted:

Yellow is supposed to give moon balls, fast balls come from whites.

I'm not sure how I've gotten the yellow and white apricorn effects mixed up for so many years. :saddowns: I was just tossing in batches of whatever apricorn I had the most of until recently. Well, at least it's an easy solution. Thanks, now I can continue on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

if anyone talks about what starters they like again im turning this into a digimon thread