Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

priznat posted:

This 100%. Paint it black and it is the Darth Vader of planes.

There was a prototype with a black & red fuselage which looked amazing, spoiled by the wings & tail being silver though. Phone posting & not many colour photos but I'm sure you can find one if you're curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you want to inspire a love of aviation in people, how many discovery flights could you subsidise with the Jet-A bill from a single airshow? Or Young Eagles, for kids? That's how I got started down the road of poor, expensive life choices I'm on :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

When I was a kid in air cadets, I got to take a ride in the right seat of a Kiowa helicopter while the pilot hot-dogged it around a wetland. I knew right there that I wanted to be a helicopter pilot when I grew up.
I am not a helicopter pilot, nor am I likely to ever be a helicopter pilot.
On the other hand, the flight and other benefits I ended up with instead sort of almost make up for it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I took nearly 400 photos at the USAF Museum. And I had a Google Photos album that was linkable until I noticed it listed my name.

I'll cherry-pick the really good ones and collage them here later.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 15, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Finger Prince posted:

When I was a kid in air cadets, I got to take a ride in the right seat of a Kiowa helicopter while the pilot hot-dogged it around a wetland. I knew right there that I wanted to be a helicopter pilot when I grew up.
I am not a helicopter pilot, nor am I likely to ever be a helicopter pilot.

That's what I said until a year ago (minus the helicopter bit, that poo poo is spendy) and now I'm exactly one hour short of a commercial pilot license.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I took nearly 400 photos at the USAF Museum. And I had a Google Photos album that was linkable until I noticed it listed my name.

I'll cherry-pick the really good ones and collage them here later.

Please do, that's a museum on my bucket list.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
B-58 Hustler ejection pod:

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

drunkill posted:

V bombers best bombers.

Best names too.

I always feel the Valiant gets the short end of the stick in comparison with the other two

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

um excuse me posted:

B-58 Hustler ejection pod:

I want one of those for my office.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

blugu64 posted:

I want one of those for my office.
I, too, want one of those for your office.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Same but only if it includes the rocket ejection too.

Also reminder they tested that ejection pod by sticking a sedated bear in it.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Gibfender posted:

I always feel the Valiant gets the short end of the stick in comparison with the other two

Leading on from an earlier post, the all-black Valiant looked ridiculously cool too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Here's an imgbox gallery link to the images I thought were the 'best' out of the nearly 400 I took: http://imgbox.com/g/B61dIFoID0 (click on the first image, then use the -> in the top right to cycle through)

The dump of the raw images direct from my phone's storage is nearly 2GB and I won't link a ZIP file of that until I've got a NAS box up and running again. Something they don't tell you about the Google Image 'unlimited hosting' is that they compress the images from RAW. :mad:

EDIT: And for some reason trying to get *all* of the images off my phone is making Windows poo poo itself. :rant:

Anyway, since the YF-23 was getting the most love, and they recently moved it so the angles on it were better:

Unfortunately there was no way to get around the back of the YF120 (or the YF-23 itself) without ducking a boundary or I would have gotten a shot from that angle.

EDIT 2: Here's the link to the entire photo dump (360 someodd images) at RAW quality (this is a very large file and Dropbox might bounce it if/when too many people D/L it): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzgdmY1vD8-zeFFsN19hY0FwSUk

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 17, 2017

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Anyone know what this is? My buddy shot it today somewhere in Ohio.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Anyone know what this is? My buddy shot it today somewhere in Ohio.

Looks like a C-123 complete with jet (booster) engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_C-123_Provider

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I found another entry for "bizarre World War 2 air combat", though I don't have much detail.

Somehow, a German BV 222 managed to shoot down a USN B-24 over the Atlantic.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Speaking of hard-to-believe flying boat facts:

:thunk:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

You say "gently caress," everyone without a connection to catch says "woo, extra miles!"

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You say "gently caress," everyone without a connection to catch says "woo, extra miles!"

I'm not entirely sure they issue actual mileage flown, rather a predetermined amount at booking based on typical routing, or 500, whichever is greater.

The planned distance was 415, actual 818. I'll report back.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Mileage calculations for credit are always based on a straight line.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Air miles are currency and any relation to statute or nautical miles is purely coincidental.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Mokotow posted:

I was watching three Korean Air flights today on radar, all going to Seoul - two passenger flights were coming from Germany and routing north, while a cargo flight from Oslo, also to Seoul, was routing South, and their flight path crossed over Poland. The Passanger flight routing is the standard one, over St. Petersburg and Siberia, while the Southern routing goes through Turkey, Iran, all the -stans and over China. I can't figure out why they'd go that way, and there doesn't seem to be any on-route stops for that flight number either. Only thing I can figure out is that it avoids Russia, but what the gently caress would they be carrying from Norway to Korea, that couldn't be routed north?

Edit: It's KAL9916 and it's actually not even cargo.

One possibility is that the different routings have different overflight fees. Russia is known for charging foreign carriers high rates for passing over. The routing might be quicker than the southern track, making it worthwile when carrying higly time-sensitive human cargo.
Ordinary cargo is less sensitive to trip time differences of less than a couple of hours, making the longer but cheaper track better.

Edit: There is a long-running overflight dispute between Norway and Russia, which means norwegian carriers are denied overflight rights. I don't know if that applies to all carriers flying from Norway though.

catfry fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 18, 2017

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...5!4d-93.5605515

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The B2 hangers are so stumpy :allears:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

What's going on here? It almost looks like one of those B-52s that got chopped up as part of START II

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Looks like a firefighting training site.

yup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvp4oIDliD4

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Oh, rad. That makes sense.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
If you look around on Google maps, you'll see that most major airports and air force bases have one of those burnt-up planes somewhere on the edge of the field.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bewbies posted:

The movie Rush was significantly more exciting than any F1 season since at least 1994

The racing scenes in Rush were terrible. At least show things like drivers heel-and-toeing instead of the Hollywood "I'm going to change gear SO hard and stomp on the throttle SO hard."

Grand Prix and Le Mans were the only two racing movies worth a drat.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

drgitlin posted:

The racing scenes in Rush were terrible. At least show things like drivers heel-and-toeing instead of the Hollywood "I'm going to change gear SO hard and stomp on the throttle SO hard."

Grand Prix and Le Mans were the only two racing movies worth a drat.

What about the ones where they live their lives a quarter mile at a time?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

I can say with authority that that series is directly responsible for at least one deliberately murdered transmission.

Specifically, he "wanted to do a sweet 180 like Dom," so while going down a highway(!) at 70 MPH, he immediately threw the vehicle into reverse and mashed the accelerator, because "that's how Dom did it in Furious 7." Thank God (if not Darwin) he never got to the part with the wheel.

I still can't figure out where he thought he was going to go. Like, did he think he was going to teleport through the guard rails?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

mlmp08 posted:

5 and 6 were excellent. 8 made my brain hurt with all the autonomous cars that were old Saturns and Chryslers.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

catfry posted:

Edit: There is a long-running overflight dispute between Norway and Russia, which means norwegian carriers are denied overflight rights. I don't know if that applies to all carriers flying from Norway though.

This would fully explain it - thanks!

Edit: the rabbit hole goes deeper:

"A 1956 agreement between the Soviet Union and Norway, Sweden, Denmark allows only Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) to fly the shortest route to destinations in Asia, the so-called Siberian Corridor, across Russian air space. SAS is partly state-owned by the three countries. "

Korean Air factors into this in some hosed up way, though not cargo - saw a flight from Oslo to Seoul route north, though pretty much everything out of Norway to Asia does indeed take the southern routing.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 18, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Given KAL's history with Russian air defense, it wouldn't surprise me if they use the most conservative possible interpretation of things like this.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You know that AC flight that almost outdid Tenerife?

quote:

BREAKING Close-call at SFO: federal investigators reveal Air Canada #AC759 dropped as low as 81 ft

http://www.airlive.net/breaking-close-call-at-sfo-federal-investigators-reveal-air-canada-ac759-dropped-as-low-as-81-ft/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jesus that's close.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Jealous Cow posted:

You know that AC flight that almost outdid Tenerife?

For once they're not overhyping it. :stare:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Guess what I'm doing right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Jealous Cow posted:

Guess what I'm doing right now?