Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Zelder posted:

I believe you camn still order clothes off the people you meet in the plaza and in battle

that's some consolation, but the system was pretty heavily limited in og splatoon. letting you queue more items for orders would be nice, or letting you order a full outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
they're locking the beastie boys albums in salmon run. how dare they. i need to get my jam on in a splatfest.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was totally wrong about reviewers knocking off points for Nintendo's weird online apps. It appears the majority just did not care at all and didn't take that into account. I'm surprised, because honestly I probably would have.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Splatoon is the game a fuckton of people love and play but was doomed to get so-so reviews for a polished AAA Nintendo titles both times. First because lack of content at launch, and second because it was too similar to the first, despite having far expanded content than Splatoon 1 at launch. I wager if we never had Splatoon 1 and Splatoon 2 was the full package at launch for the Switch, it'd be a low 90s game akin to Overwatch and MK8D.

For the appeal it draws its weird to think of it as a low 80s metacritic game, since I imagine this time around its going to sell like gangbusters even more so now that its on a console with an actual install base.

Meanwhile expansion packs that are just more of the same poo poo for FF14 get in the 90s :psyduck:

Also why did MK8D get such good reviews for being a literal rehash with just an added battle mode and some very small unlock quality of life changes?

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 19, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

See my previous comment about game reviews being utter useless idiot trash

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Have you played that battle mode? It's loving sick

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

LethalGeek posted:

See my previous comment about game reviews being utter useless idiot trash

I mean it's why I don't listen to them, because they seriously baffle me. I only use a couple of people with similar tastes as me on games I know I'm not going to buy. So far most switch games have been known entities (Disgaea, MK8D, all the other billion nindie re-releases) or must buys (BotW) anyways so I haven't really bought any stinkers yet or needed reviews anyways.

I liked ARMS after the test punch and liked Splatoon after the testfire, so I didn't need reviews to decide if I was buying them or not.

Zelder posted:

It's good but really the only reason I'm okay with Wii U re-releases is because I never owned a Wii U. Also down for 3ds re-releases too.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I was totally wrong about reviewers knocking off points for Nintendo's weird online apps. It appears the majority just did not care at all and didn't take that into account. I'm surprised, because honestly I probably would have.

I assume most of them ignored it or forgot about it because it's so far outside of the "normal" ecosystem and I don't know how much Nintendo has really been advertising it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The voice chat app is live on the US App Store:

Nintendo Switch Online by Nintendo Co., Ltd.
https://appsto.re/us/DCAMjb.i

EDIT: Doesn't seem like you can sign in yet though.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 19, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

SeANMcBAY posted:

Ditto for Android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nintendo.znca

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SeANMcBAY posted:

I would not expect the servers to be actually up until Friday as planned, Thursday at the earliest.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

lmao the first review is a one star review by a guy with a pony avatar

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Splatoon is the game a fuckton of people love and play but was doomed to get so-so reviews for a polished AAA Nintendo titles both times. First because lack of content at launch, and second because it was too similar to the first, despite having far expanded content than Splatoon 1 at launch. I wager if we never had Splatoon 1 and Splatoon 2 was the full package at launch for the Switch, it'd be a low 90s game akin to Overwatch and MK8D.

For the appeal it draws its weird to think of it as a low 80s metacritic game, since I imagine this time around its going to sell like gangbusters even more so now that its on a console with an actual install base.

Meanwhile expansion packs that are just more of the same poo poo for FF14 get in the 90s :psyduck:

Also why did MK8D get such good reviews for being a literal rehash with just an added battle mode and some very small unlock quality of life changes?

MK8 is an excellent game and low Wii U sales means that not a whole lot of people played it. It didn't suddenly get worse when it was ported.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/887489276543344640

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

MK8 is an excellent game and low Wii U sales means that not a whole lot of people played it. It didn't suddenly get worse when it was ported.

Yeah but a lot of people didn't play Splatoon either. Maybe it's just because it's an actual sequel and not a port that it is getting slightly more flak, who knows.

Back to the game, can I play with a friend in turf wars?

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 19, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Yep, that's how you do it Nintendo. :discourse:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Steps 4-27: Mail a letter to each of your friends with special Nintendo (TM) postage asking them to join your Smart Device lobby

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yep, that's how you do it Nintendo. :discourse:

To be fair do you really want your squid kids in your phone calls

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
To be fair talking on the phone makes sense, and as long as the application doesn't use the mic it SHOULD be able to continue the voice connection. Discord does it just fine so even if that's not the way it currently works they could certainly change it once people complain.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just use Discord instead :v:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Is the Switch the new Vita yet?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Of course it makes sense that you can't voice chat on something else or call someone at the same time but that's really lame and makes the app pretty worthless if you get disconnected if you just leave it to replay to a text or something.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why would you want to be doing anything else on your phone while playing Splatoon?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SeANMcBAY posted:

Of course it makes sense that you can't voice chat on something else or call someone at the same time but that's really lame and makes the app pretty worthless if you get disconnected if you just leave it to replay to a text or something.

Sounds like it automatically reconnects to the sane room as soon as you switch back to it though

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rexroom posted:

Is the Switch the new Vita yet?
*ahem*

"anime titty when"

Really though I guess it probably is just because there's no competition?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Levels+: Addictive Puzzle Game is some stupid fun

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Zaphod42 posted:

Just use Discord instead :v:

I figured this is what everybody does with every other game anyway

Or mumble or ventrillo or whatever new poo poo

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So what will we call this app. I propose Switchcord

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so do you really need the app for partying or anything

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I imagine this time around its going to sell like gangbusters even more so now that its on a console with an actual install base.

fewer people own the nintendo switch than owned the wiiu when splatoon 1 was released

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

eonwe posted:

so do you really need the app for partying or anything

You can still party up in Splatoon2 without the app but it's easier with it. More so since if you send an invite for a game to a friend who isn't online they'll get a pop up on their phone to tell time it's time to kid squid

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zelder posted:

I agree with your post but I'm still angry at lack of Elimination :colbert:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Not being able to play salmon run whenever I want is going to really grind my gears after I finish the main campaign

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

Not being able to play salmon run whenever I want is going to really grind my gears after I finish the main campaign

If you have a group of three others to play with you you can play it anytime you want

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If you have a group of three others to play with you you can play it anytime you want
not online you can't

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

HyperPuma posted:

fewer people own the nintendo switch than owned the wiiu when splatoon 1 was released

Yeah for maybe until the end of the year lol

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

*ahem*

Stardew when

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Just contact Chucklefish about your hillbilly fixations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm glad I buckled and bought Stardew Valley on PS4, because it only cost me $15 to find out that I'm not really into Harvest Moon-like games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
its gonna be real sad when stardew finally comes out and its 30 bucks and i dont buy it

• Locked thread