Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Gonna play a 2000 pt game vs. Mike Brandt tonight. Here's what I'm bringing:

2000 pt. Steel Legion List – 07.18.2017
Brigade Detachment
HQ
Company Commander w/ power sword – 34
Tank Commander Punisher w/ 3 heavy bolters – 211

Troops
Infantry Squad w/ flamer – 47
Infantry Squad w/ grenade launcher – 45

Elites
Commissar w/ bolt pistol – 31
Master of Ordnance – 38

Fast Attack
Scout Sentinel w/ autocannon – 50

Heavy Support
Manticore w/ heavy bolter – 133
MBT w/ 3 heavy bolters – 178
Executioner w/ 2 plasma cannons and las cannon – 202
Heavy Weapons squad w/ 3 autocannons – 57

Lord of War
Baneblade – 567

This is all WYSIWYG stuff I have conveniently stuffed into a brigade detachment. I haven't used a Baneblade yet in 8th so I figured it's time. I think I'll have fun with it. Gonna go second though lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Something you can try--press your hands together near the wrist when you hold the model, holding it by the base with your off-hand. When your hands shake, they will shake together (as opposed to different directions and at different times), which can help

How do you paint if you're holding the model by both hands??

I guess you mean you're holding it and pressing your painting hand... eh. I mean I kinda do that but it just works better to have a bigger thing to hold onto.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Felime posted:

You seem really mad that people want to paint models differently and enjoy the hobby in different ways. Plenty of people play for the game more than painting, but like having a fully painted army out. (And anybody with their poo poo painted should be applauded.) If you're doing a horde, a few minutes a model can save you a shitload of time as well.

There is no real functional difference between a full model wash and dipping, apart from the substance used. I've even seen people add future floor polish to washes as a flow aid, as those tend to give a very smooth gradient, which you also get from a dip. A full model wash quickly brings different colors together. Hell, I've seen examples where someone did a dip as a shortcut for a full wash then went back over with highlights. Far from lazy.

The floor waxes and dips also essentially varnish the model, meaning you get to skip another step if that is your end point.

In the end it's a technique. If the end result of that technique is what you want, or something you are happy with, there's no real reason not to use it.

How did anything in my post sound mad? Relax duder

You can read any bit of text like its "angry" without any inherent tone, but absolutely nothing about that post was inherently "angry". Seriously read it again.

Nothing about that post said anything about how people suck if they don't paint like me. I just made a simple argument that dipping instead of washing gives you practically zero benefit at some cost. That's just a logical argument, no anger.

I mean honestly right back atcha? You seem really mad that I don't like dipping! :cheeky: Comeon dude. Lets skip the "yer so mad!"

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 18, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess you mean you're holding it and pressing your painting hand... eh. I mean I kinda do that but it just works better to have a bigger thing to hold onto.

You only hold it with one hand and paint brush in the other, but press your wrists together. It stabilizes both hands.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Felime posted:

You seem really mad that people want to paint models differently and enjoy the hobby in different ways. Plenty of people play for the game more than painting, but like having a fully painted army out. (And anybody with their poo poo painted should be applauded.) If you're doing a horde, a few minutes a model can save you a shitload of time as well.

There is no real functional difference between a full model wash and dipping, apart from the substance used. I've even seen people add future floor polish to washes as a flow aid, as those tend to give a very smooth gradient, which you also get from a dip. A full model wash quickly brings different colors together. Hell, I've seen examples where someone did a dip as a shortcut for a full wash then went back over with highlights. Far from lazy.

The floor waxes and dips also essentially varnish the model, meaning you get to skip another step if that is your end point.

In the end it's a technique. If the end result of that technique is what you want, or something you are happy with, there's no real reason not to use it.

You're projecting. And dipping is a less precise method that requires more effort overall and delivers frequently inferior results. With additional risks that are not present when using the superior method.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Like this (Infinity model, and ignore the still-healing bit where the cat bit me)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
It also helps to paint over a table... you wierdo.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I was taking a photo to demonstrate what was said - it also helps to have Paint on the brush !

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

How did anything in my post sound mad? Relax duder

You can read any bit of text like its "angry" without any inherent tone, but absolutely nothing about that post was inherently "angry". Seriously read it again.

Nothing about that post said anything about how people suck if they don't paint like me. I just made a simple argument that dipping instead of washing gives you practically zero benefit at some cost. That's just a logical argument, no anger.

I mean honestly right back atcha? You seem really mad that I don't like dipping! :cheeky: Comeon dude. Lets skip the "yer so mad!"

Fair enough. I might have read it as more derisive than intended. Thought I remembered someone sounding mad. I'll check after work when I am not phone posting.

Still plenty of reasons to use a dip. If you're assembly lining it and ok with a mess it is apparently super fast. And the effect is fine if a full wash is what you want.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

Gonna play a 2000 pt game vs. Mike Brandt tonight. Here's what I'm bringing:

2000 pt. Steel Legion List – 07.18.2017
Brigade Detachment
HQ
Tank Commander Punisher w/ 3 heavy bolters – 211

Troops

Elites
Master of Ordnance – 38

Fast Attack

Heavy Support
Manticore w/ heavy bolter – 133
MBT w/ 3 heavy bolters – 178
Executioner w/ 2 plasma cannons and las cannon – 202

Lord of War
Baneblade – 567

This is all WYSIWYG stuff I have conveniently stuffed into a brigade detachment. I haven't used a Baneblade yet in 8th so I figured it's time. I think I'll have fun with it. Gonna go second though lol.

What's Mike bringing?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If I'm doing really fine work I'll just rest both wrists on a table.

Felime posted:

Fair enough. I might have read it as more derisive than intended. Thought I remembered someone sounding mad. I'll check after work when I am not phone posting.

Still plenty of reasons to use a dip. If you're assembly lining it and ok with a mess it is apparently super fast. And the effect is fine if a full wash is what you want.

My previous post where I was like "hey dude just wash it instead" maybe could have come across as insulting but IDK I really didn't mean it that way. S/he was asking about dunks and nobody was really answering anyways so I thought i'd offer my 2 cents on why you maybe don't hear about it much anymore anyways.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Might be a bit of a long shot, but does anyone have some AdMech stuff they're looking to trade for some Primaris Marines? I realized that 2 sets of Primaris is more than I need/want, so i'm looking to unload the 2nd set. Built, but bare plastic. PM me if you're interested.

Also Beer4theBeerGod, I need a chapter for the Goon Chapter Challenge. Do your worst! :black101:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

dipping is trash hth

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zuul the Cat posted:

Might be a bit of a long shot, but does anyone have some AdMech stuff they're looking to trade for some Primaris Marines? I realized that 2 sets of Primaris is more than I need/want, so i'm looking to unload the 2nd set. Built, but bare plastic. PM me if you're interested.

Also Beer4theBeerGod, I need a chapter for the Goon Chapter Challenge. Do your worst! :black101:

I do them after work. If you put a request in the thread I will take care of it soon.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Renfield posted:

Like this (Infinity model, and ignore the still-healing bit where the cat bit me)

Camera in mouth?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Camera in mouth?

Google Glass

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's Mike bringing?
Admech. As to what, we'll find out!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Have there been any Chaos legion rule leaks yet because if Alpha Legion can't infiltrate anymore I am so loving done

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

goose willis posted:

Have there been any Chaos legion rule leaks yet because if Alpha Legion can't infiltrate anymore I am so loving done

You'll probably have to wait a couple months to ragequit

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Please, GW, don't let Alpha Legion infiltrate.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Hey come on fellow bird avatar man we've got to stick together

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
The best part about playing Alpha Legion is that it's perfectly thematic to use someone else's rules

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
spend 2CP to include a unit from Index Imperium 1 or Index Imperium 2 and replace the faction keywords with Chaos and Alpha Legion

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

goose willis posted:

SMs always get priority over CSMs :sigh:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Oh hey dragoncon has some 40k stuff going on, neat.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

SMs always get priority over CSMs :sigh:
Yes, how dare they prioritize their #1 selling line. :argh:

Y'all know chaos marines are going to be one of the first books, right? And that there'll be legion rules? Just wait.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

After seeing the vanilla marine special rules and knowing how much they like to neuter Chaos so that the Imperium always has an easy punching bag my predictions are going to be the following:

III - Emperor's Children: roll 3d6 for charges and pick the two highest
IV - Iron Warriors: 6+ Feel No Pain renamed to something stupid like Ironically Resilient
VIII - Night Lords: -1 to enemy unit's leadership within 12'' of a Night Lords unit
XII - World Eaters: +2 to charge range and +1 attack on the first turn of charging
XIV - Death Guard: 5+ Feel No Pain with the existing stupid name of Disgustingly Resilient
XV - Thousand Sons: re-roll psychic tests
XVI - Black Legion: Death to the False Emperor triggers on a 5+ instead of a 6+
XVII - Word Bearers: any HQ choice can summon daemons
XX - Alpha Legion: free pre-game move for a limited number of units

Even this might be a little generous

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goose willis posted:

After seeing the vanilla marine special rules and knowing how much they like to neuter Chaos so that the Imperium always has an easy punching bag my predictions are going to be the following:

IV - Iron Warriors: 6+ Feel No Pain renamed to something stupid like Ironically Resilient
VIII - Night Lords: -1 to enemy unit's leadership within 12'' of a Night Lords unit
XII - World Eaters: +2 to charge range and +1 attack on the first turn of charging
XIV - Death Guard: 5+ Feel No Pain with the existing stupid name of Disgustingly Resilient

Iron Warriors would likely get something to do with big guns, like reroll to hit rolls of 1 or +1 AP for heavy weapons.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
DG won't have Disgustingly Resilient because all their iconic units already have it.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

And in the eyes of Games Workshop that's good enough and all they need :v:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

From the salt content of this post I'm guessing you play Iron Warriors?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Alpha Legion :(

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?
Just had my first game of 8th edition at 800 points: it was a blast!

Was introducing my wife to the game, so we played with the basic 12 page rules and the match was alarmingly close.

We had this T'au List:

Cadre Fireblade with 2 Gun Drones
    12-Man Strike Team with Markerlights and 2 Gun Drones x3
    3-Man Stealth Suit Team with Fusion Blaster, 2 Markerlight Drones + an extra Markerlight x1
    3-Man Crisis Suit Team with double Plasma Rifles with Advanced Targeting Systems and 6 Gun Drones x1

vs:

Chaos Sorcerer with Force Axe, Plasma Pistol, Prescience, and Warptime
    10 Noise Marines with 2 Blastmasters, 7 Sonic Blasters, 1 Noise Champion with Doom Siren, Lightning Claw, and Plasma Pistol
    2 Hellbrutes with 2 Blastmasters, Power Scourge, and Doom Siren

Objective turned out to be "Take and Hold" so we had 4 objectives worth 2VP each, and D3 for Warlord kill.

My wife took the Chaos force as it was smaller, so I got to try out the T'au.

I kept my Crisis Suits in Reserve, and everything else was pushed forward to try and hold up objectives and get kills early.

The system is beautifully simple, although I had to keep on correcting myself that it's the "Charge" phase, not the "Assault" phase.

We ended up 5-2 in my favour, but it almost went to my Wife as, by the end of the game I had my Fireblade holding an objective, and it was only poor rolling from the Hellbrute that stopped it from murdering him.

The Plasma Rifles with the Advanced Targeting System really did a number on the Marines: with 1 Markerlight you're getting to re-roll 1s, hitting on 4s, and killing on 3s thanks to AP-4.

All in all, much fun was had, and I'm looking forward to getting some more games in. :3:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

goose willis posted:

You might have miss this, but any model with CHARACTER keyword that also has the faction Keyword CHAOS can summon already.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

goose willis posted:

And in the eyes of Games Workshop that's good enough and all they need :v:

They're getting their own standalone codex for nurgle's sake!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

RagnarokAngel posted:

They're getting their own standalone codex for nurgle's sake!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

You might have miss this, but any model with CHARACTER keyword that also has the faction Keyword CHAOS can summon already.

Now you know how low my expectations are

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

goose willis posted:

Now you know how low my expectations are

Buck up chum

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I totally missed that as well: but how does it work with Matched Play? It only mentions Power Level, and you need to put points aside for summoning. :confused:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Xarlaxas posted:

I totally missed that as well: but how does it work with Matched Play? It only mentions Power Level, and you need to put points aside for summoning. :confused:
You'd compare power level for the actual roll to see what you can summon and deduct points from what you've set aside once you've decided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

What is the release schedule for the announced codices?