Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/normeisen/status/887470866010955776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

trump staff amiibos.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/887475373981696000

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Here we go! :munch:

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

Med devices, like pharma, have higher development costs, especially in relation to Japan and the EU because of a higher bar through the FDA.

There is absolutely incentive to sell in the UK in your scenario, but pricing is dependant on reimbursement.

In the US med devices have a high cost because in order to market devices in the US there is a high bar to pass at the FDA. There's a reason that most devices obtain a CE mark before being cleared in the US.

Yeah, that's not exactly true. It's a much greater hurdle to get drugs approved in the EU compared to the US because the EU often requires that you show that your novel therapy is better than what is currently available. You also need to clear a reimbursement hurdle in the EU to make approval worthwhile. The FDA is much easier; as long as you show a drug to be safe you are golden. In the US reimbursement is also much easier because you are dealing with smallish insurance companies, not a whole country.

Japan is a unique situation where you have the added cost of having to show your drug works in Japanese patients, not just a population as a whole. Japan, being a first world country, is much more expensive to run clinical trials in than China or elsewhere in southeast asia.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Oh yeah it was definitely a shady meeting then.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Huntsman is the most respectable Republican official of national importance. I mean yeah that's not saying much, but still.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
So Sen Feinstein has a briefing with Mueller, and she asks him a question like, "Does your investigation preclude them testifying in a public hearing?"

And he says "No, of course not," because he has no gag order authorities and what prosecutor would say no to having two suspects saying poo poo under oath in public?

Two things happen. First, the senator has a counter if the trumps try to pull some variant on their IRS audit horseshit. Second, the senator has the means to create that headline whenever she wants that reads a lot like a subpoena though it isn't. Well played.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sick in quotes seems like a 90s sunglasses guy saying "totally rad"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Slaan posted:

For a non-gimmick answer:

Have you ever listened to a pair of lawyers discuss the details of a law? Or spoke with a doctor about your grandma's illness? They use a bunch of technical terms and precise verbiage, even when dumbing it down for their audience.

Heads of state talk at this level*. Remember, they are hashing out details of trade treaties, military accords, details of aid in rapidly changing situations, etc. Even a very good speaker of a language will have trouble with that without a lot of practice.

So. While the discussion might be primarily in English, French, Chinese etc if both people speak it, they have translators to explain things better when needed. Each side brings one to double check the other, ensuring the translation isn't being willfully misinterpreted.

And then you have idioms and turns of phrase. Would a Russian know what you mean if you say "this'll turn out as well as The Scottish Play... ?" If a French person said, "oh, I had a big morning," you probably would think he had a busy, productive morning, when he actually meant he slept in. They translate these things into a close metaphor for their head of state.

Things like that.

By not bringing a translator, trump was basically letting him guide the conversation on important topics. Without giving Trump any.idea of this, if the translator was any good. Which he would be, as he'd likely have FSB, etc intelligence training to work at Putin's level.

*lol Trump doesn't

An excellent point. And even more reason to feel sorry for the poor bastard(s) who translate to English/whatever from Trumpish to other heads of state.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

he probably typed "sick" in quotes because he meant it like the kids these days use it, ie: extremely cool and good

edit: beaten

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/887477071160762369

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Just to, ah, be sure here, the secret meeting to which the NyT refers is not in fact the G20 leader/spouse dinner to which Donald the Precious is referring in his recent tweet publication?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

mdemone posted:

Just to, ah, be sure here, the secret meeting to which the NyT refers is not in fact the G20 leader/spouse dinner to which Donald the Precious is referring in his recent tweet publication?

It's not. Trump is conflating stories and probably watching Fox because he just retweeted them.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Phoix posted:

It's not. Trump is conflating stories and probably watching Fox because he just retweeted them.

Okay. I knew somebody was retarded here, and I was pretty sure I knew who it was, but I thought I'd ask. Sometimes I've turned out to be the retarded one.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So now that the AHCA, or whatever acronym its been going by now, is dead as gently caress do people like Covok come eat crow and maybe admit that Republican dysfunction is real and not just posturing?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

mdemone posted:

I'm the staffer racing through the White House to tell Trump that's not the meeting the news is talking about.

Just kidding I don't think they care anymore.'

VV well never mind then

ought ten fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 19, 2017

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

mdemone posted:

its not a secret meeting, there was no secret trump putin meeting
its the g20 leader/dinner, where trump ditched his seat and talked 1v1(+russian translator) with putin for an hour (visible to but out of earshot of other people at the dinner)

e:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...38cc_story.html

quote:

Leaders who witnessed the meeting were “bemused, nonplussed, befuddled” by the animated conversation, held in full view — but apparently not within listening distance — of others present, Bremmer said in a telephone conversation. He said he spoke with two participants at the dinner.

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 19, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mdemone posted:

An excellent point. And even more reason to feel sorry for the poor bastard(s) who translate to English/whatever from Trumpish to other heads of state.

The Daily Show just had a segment on how much it sucks to translate Trump for translators. The Russian translator of course said he had no problems.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

But the people who voted for Trump are totally not dupes and making fun of them is "poor pissing".

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

With the repeal failing spectacularly, has anyone else started to really enjoy everyone on Twitter calling for Congress to have the same health plan as everyone else?

It is a simple Google search away and yet no one wants to actually search it / believe what they are reading.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ought ten posted:

I'm the staffer racing through the White House to tell Trump that's not the meeting the news is talking about.

Just kidding I don't think they care anymore.

Once the tweets start, I doubt any staffers that deal with communication are in any condition to run.

I'm just assuming Spicer and the crew just bit the bullet and installed a system that pours everyone a shot whenever Trump tweets.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Despera posted:

But the people who voted for Trump are totally not dupes and making fun of them is "poor pissing".

i enjoy that you're still madder than hell about being criticized

oh goons, never stop being so brittle

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Despera posted:

People who voted for Trump are morons, but those morons are largely upper middle class racists.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

sick in quotes seems like a 90s sunglasses guy saying "totally rad"

Bodacious!

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Don't assume McConnell's dumb bullshit is dead yet. Do the thing you usually do, a straight up repeal has been toxic from the start. Remind them of it.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Gyges posted:

The Daily Show just had a segment on how much it sucks to translate Trump for translators. The Russian translator of course said he had no problems.

HAHAHAHAHAHAhaha holy poo poo

http://deadline.com/2017/07/donald-trump-translators-1202129242/

Translating Donald Trump Without Looking Like An Idiot Is Tough, Professionals Tell ‘The Daily Show’

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Gyges posted:

Once the tweets start, I doubt any staffers that deal with communication are in any condition to run.

I'm just assuming Spicer and the crew just bit the bullet and installed a system that pours everyone a shot whenever Trump tweets.

:sadcoke:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

This is quite a page to post on, mein friends.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

The alt-rightiest page of the thread yet and no jokes about it?

Aww man. That's what I get for previewing!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gyges posted:

It's probably easier for political ones rather than journalistic ones since they don't actually need to reproduce the style, just the substance, and if it's incoherent can just say so.
Well, assuming it's not one of those that's broadcast publicly, anyway.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Trump is simultaenously the most honest and dishonest person in America.

I have never seen someone to quick to confirm and deny everything in 140 characters.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/887460523968679937

:pray:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ballz posted:

We must secure the existence of our people and a future for bad posters

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ballz posted:

I vas about to say somezing but I. Know. NUZZING!

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Trump is simultaenously the most honest and dishonest person in America.

I have never seen someone to quick to confirm and deny everything in 140 characters.

Heh, didn't he mean to put the quotations around "secret dinner with Putin" instead? OOPS! :iiam:

14 words "This poo poo sucks you nincompoop administration take it back no one wants this mess."

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 19, 2017

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So now that the AHCA, or whatever acronym its been going by now, is dead as gently caress do people like Covok come eat crow and maybe admit that Republican dysfunction is real and not just posturing?

I'd say it's "dead" in the sense that horror movies always end with "the end?" and the zombie hand shooting up from the fresh dirt over the grave.

Edit: Hell yeah :godwin:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

they're gonna still vote on the motion to proceed so there's still life in the corpse.

can sum1 explain 1488 to me please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

skylined! posted:

they're gonna still vote on the motion to proceed so there's still life in the corpse.

can sum1 explain 1488 to me please

Doesn't matter. It really is dead.

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/1488

• Locked thread