Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

BluesShaman posted:

https://sendvid.com/xkf46zgk

Star Citizen fatman gets winded ascending a flight of stairs

is this real because it's the first I've seen of it and it's making me flip the gently caress out

also the employees in that one room appear to have tied a noose for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
HELLO GOORRF!!!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dial A For Awesome posted:

I can see why the PU is an over-ambitious and doomed exercise but this post prompts the thought "why are CIG having such trouble in producing separate modules that you load into (like Arena Commander or some planetary zone hidden behind a loading screen) or a standalone single player FPS (SQ42)?" These should be well-trodden exercises which dozens of games and mods have previously done in some form or another. The alarming thing for CIG's defenders is that even these seem well beyond its technical and management capabilities.

This is a good question and something I've wondered about too.

You would figure that once CIG claims they conquered that whole "persistence" thing that allows a user to save a game (whoa congrats), they could foreseeably allow a user to move from one area to another area, saving their data from module A and then loading it into B.

I think:
A: The modules don't actually have the same data segments because there was no good management oversight to the projects.

B: The data can't load because it can't persist in another module and they're not going to go back and update this stuff.

C: The DB team is as great as the programming team, and has no loving clue what they're even trying to accomplish.

D: Part of the team is building a save state DB configuration, another part is trying to plan for the MMO side, and both sides are fighting against the middle who is also trying to do this as well.

E: CR hasn't made any motion capture for this part yet, so of course it's lagging behind.

It's probably different combinations of the above. I think they're trying to build the transition piece between a space level and a ground level right now, as that would be the easiest model to try to get into 3.0. You start to land, save player data, unload level, load new level, load player data.

Hopefully by now they've figured out how to save data properly on a player. I remember at one time when a user would "order" a ship it would stream multi-megabytes of data from the server for whatever reason. If a single player holds objects instead of references to objects they could be looking at hilariously screwed memory issues and inevitable DB problems. Though I don't know why anybody would attempt to do it that way, so it's probably what CR demanded.

Possible CR quote during creation: A player OWNS their digital ship and anything on it could be unique, even decorative placements, so the whole ship needs to be in the players database complete with everything about that ship!

At the outset this was the direction they were going. A ship wasn't just a faceless item, it was somebody's Skyrim house, complete with hand placed cigars and hot tubs, etc. So CR demanding that an entire ship be in a players database entry could be very much accurate. Horrible for networking, but very accurate for what CR was aiming for at one time.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Quavers posted:

The top comment:

:eyepop:
Star Citizen: A textbook study on battered wife syndrome

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

runsamok posted:

With zero planetary mechanics in this space "sim" isn't everything everything-locked?

Yes. The ships themselves don't even have the proper speed to allow for an orbital reentry. CIG is basically stuck in that place where their promises can't function in the actual game they are making.

But this makes sense because CR probably hasn't played the game since his last live stream anyway, so he can just talk smack about whatever but it's totally a different game than the one "he" is making.

I feel CIG gets a lot of poo poo and grief because Chris Roberts himself is very much hands-off about this game except for his ability to destroy it from inside.

CR is pretty much CIGs proto-goon. Probably a German auditor too.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/6o40ga/star_citizen_development_progress_infographic/dkemqrk/

Star Citizen: The numbers can be factual but still not be true

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

lazorexplosion posted:

It blows me away that their website has no disclosure of the change in scope and still has misleading statements about 100 systems at launch. Well actually it doesn't because I've seen this farce long enough to completely expect it, but if I was used to sane video games it would blow me away.

This is critical to their disgusting hostile marketing system. If they were honest about loving anything I'd be very glad to cut them more slack for it.

But if you look at their official channels, it looks like you can mine, hunt sandworms, camp underneath the wing of your ship on multiple planets, build a farm on a planet, live in a breathing and reactive massive universe with thousands+ other players simultaneously, customize your character and ships, and drive makos and jet motorcycles around on these planets.

And this is WITHOUT 3.0 being a thing. And you can do none of these things. :(

CIG just needs to be honest, but understand that they built this whole company based on lies and deceit from the get go. It's hard for people like the Roberts' to not lie because lying has made them loving millionaires.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Where the flying gently caress do they come up with this logic?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Late as gently caress but screw it

G0rf is back~! :glomp:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Same place they come up with everything else, Fairy land. Thats how we can cite facts, and they think its fud, until CR repeats it. Then its a miracle and obvious and lol if you didn't already know.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Colostomy Bag posted:

some guy said "the numbers may be true but they are still spreading fud"

xXAdmiralBekHarXx fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 19, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Hey, don't forget to call your parents and tell them you love them.

Also, we entered 3.0 Evocati aim date window yesterday

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Stop spreading fud. For the majority of the human population this will be the last piece of software that they will purchase

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

is this real because it's the first I've seen of it and it's making me flip the gently caress out

i never really watched that before

but now that i did (with the sound off) i realized they must have like 50 of those stupid desks

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
My thoughts on landing and day night cycles:

CIG can pull off a day night cycle currently as well as a planet rotating (not orbiting anywhere, just spinning in place) by not requiring the ship to actually land. Just get close to the planet and you auto-land in a loading cutscene.

They can also time the FPS sun to the orbit sun pretty easily. Of course they should also be able to have the ring on their space station rotate easily too, so there's a good chance they'll gently caress this up if they try it.

But a loading zone, planet rotation that doesn't require actual reentry, and an FPS day and night cycle could be very doable for their 3.0 stuff.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Truth has a strong anti-star citizen bias.

That is why I prefer alternative facts.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
What the gently caress?

:lol:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Trump has ruined me but I feel like that post is still pretty absurd. He's unironically defending his position of synonyms not being the same further down in the comments. Truly amazing.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

hosed up if

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Hey, don't forget to call your parents and tell them you love them.

Also, we entered 3.0 Evocati aim date window yesterday

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

You seem somewhat at ease today.

You should tweet that you put your pants on one leg at a time. Hundreds will try it a different a way just to defy you.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Goon: Is 3.0 out yet?

Citizen: It depends upon what the meaning of the word "is" is. If "is" means is and never has been, that is not, that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Woah, is GORF back?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

thatguy posted:

Trump has ruined me but I feel like that post is still pretty absurd. He's unironically defending his position of synonyms not being the same further down in the comments. Truly amazing.

You can't be serious. Don't make me go read that poo poo heap.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Meridian posted:

Woah, is GORF back?

He has been refactored into some gravity goo Voltron of insanity.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

"Don't trust these facts!"
"Why, are they wrong?"
"No, but GOOOOOONS"

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The Saddest Robot posted:

Truth has a strong anti-star citizen bias.

That is why I prefer alternative facts.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I paarprove.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Hobold posted:

You can't be serious. Don't make me go read that poo poo heap.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
drat we have a new stimpire esque copy paste holy poo poo

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The audio is dubbed. However IIRC he was moderately winded after climbing the stairs, just not to that extent.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
My goal is to describe to you the true nature of a particular game.
I tell you some facts.
It is in space.
It is in development.
It is made by a renowned developer.
These are all facts. The truth is: it's Line of Defense.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Was going to post this.

:catdrugs:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

thatguy posted:

Unironically: Synonyms do not necessarily mean the same thing. One of the reasons we have so many of them in English is because they allow for micronuances in the things being expressed.

That said, he has truth and factual reversed. Facts are things that "actually are" and truth is just things that "are fact" or (in a related but different definition) "are accurate". By definition you can't have an inaccurate fact, but you can have an inaccurate truth.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

My god, we have reached peak lunacy.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Also, cat teeth are not huge in comparison to its head. They are actually fairly regular size for obligate carnivores, and are tiny in comparison to a snake, which incidentally also grows sharp claws from every limb.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

Also, cat teeth are not huge in comparison to its head. They are actually fairly regular size for obligate carnivores, and are tiny in comparison to a snake, which incidentally also grows sharp claws from every limb.

For gently caress sakes man, is this the truth or are they facts?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
yeah they are starting to lose their minds because 3.0 is going to loving suck and I think they are all desperately trying to accept that

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

He is sorta describing some philosophy of science concepts, but lol at trying to apply it to the most open game development ever. One philosophy of science concept that citizens never acknowledge is the existence of abductive reasoning.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
**cat scrotum reservation post**

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Oh God, this is going to be another .gif thing isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Oh God, this is going to be another .gif thing isn't it?
It's a fact it's pronounced .gif but the truth of the matter is that .gif is the right pronunciation.