Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

The REAL Goobusters posted:

E: they're not even gonna finish showing this documentary until after TI is over lmao
The Polygon thing a few posts up suggests that they're going to be filming at TI itself. So presumably the first episode is qualifier footage where they get to watch Demon's dreams get crushed in front of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Incoherence posted:

The Polygon thing a few posts up suggests that they're going to be filming at TI itself. So presumably the first episode is qualifier footage where they get to watch Demon's dreams get crushed in front of him.

switch it up and give me some swindlefreude and maybe I'll tune in

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Excited for TI7. Should be really good this year.

Also, was going through old Steam screenshots and wanted to share these:

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I really wanna buy the metal front hat and the Tide mug, but Welovefine really bungled that Sven mug last year so who knows. I mainly just want a secret shop bag.

Also, my buddy backed out of the midweek tickets I bought him so I can sell it to a goon of you're in town. Otherwise I think I'm too close to the event to get a refund so I'll just get a second gift bag.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Speaking of which, I still have a finals ticket for sale if anyone needs it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
is there a dota thread that isnt about pro poo poo anymore y/n

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

is there a dota thread that isnt about pro poo poo anymore y/n

yes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

where

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3802020&perpage=40&pagenumber=28#lastpost

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Much like competitive tag, no respectable adult should play. Only watch and post stupid opinions on the internet.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Zurreco posted:

I really wanna buy the metal front hat and the Tide mug, but Welovefine really bungled that Sven mug last year so who knows. I mainly just want a secret shop bag.

Also, my buddy backed out of the midweek tickets I bought him so I can sell it to a goon of you're in town. Otherwise I think I'm too close to the event to get a refund so I'll just get a second gift bag.

What happened to the sven mug last year? I'm also considering the Tide mug.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Xtanstic posted:

What happened to the sven mug last year? I'm also considering the Tide mug.

WLF basically didn't check their supply chain and gave a whole bunch of excuses to folks before completely ignoring inquiries and refund requests. There are people who still haven't received their orders now 11 months later.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Burning is the greatest, and XXS is very underrated, but IG are going to finish below .500 at TI7. Book it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8cSoc4mdAc

Here is an hour of Jeff Gerstmann opening card packs and making fun of player names if you are into that.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Good times on meth

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Kaci :unsmith:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/DOTA2/status/887772612926898176

surprising tbh

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

that is surprising. good, though. welovefine is trash and don't deserve your money.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

That's pretty awesome. If you want to cry, read this pregnancy story about the wife of a (non-e-)sports writer: https://medium.com/@royceyoung/we-spent-months-bracing-and-preparing-for-the-death-of-our-daughter-79f357dd254d

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

awww good for her!

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Good on Kaci and surprising that Valve gone done a good thing too

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
yikes to the secret shop thing, hooray for kaci, I hope she's still doing stuff at the event this year

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

It's incredible how poorly Valve can handle things as a business. "We had no possible way of knowing how the sale of our merchandise was setup. But don't worry, we'll pay attention now."

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
The new visuals for items and skills are really nice. Maybe casters can not gently caress up simple stuff now.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Zurreco posted:

The new visuals for items and skills are really nice. Maybe casters can not gently caress up simple stuff now.

Got some bad news. Tobi's gonna be there

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

sugar free jazz posted:

Got some bad news. Tobi's gonna be there

What a downer.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Grant should cast at ti if they invited maut last year

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

It's incredible how poorly Valve can handle things as a business. "We had no possible way of knowing how the sale of our merchandise was setup. But don't worry, we'll pay attention now."

It's also amazing how much sway the dota 2 reddit holds over things. I feels like every squeaky wheel in the past few years that pops up there gets addressed way faster than anything else. Well except for Diretide.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Grant should cast at ti if they invited maut last year

I'll take Grant over BreakyCPK

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

It's also amazing how much sway the dota 2 reddit holds over things. I feels like every squeaky wheel in the past few years that pops up there gets addressed way faster than anything else. Well except for Diretide.

I'll take Grant over BreakyCPK

?? Diretide was amazing, who the gently caress hates on free hats

Super polished mini games are for wc3

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ubiquitus posted:

?? Diretide was amazing, who the gently caress hates on free hats

Super polished mini games are for wc3

Pretty sure the post was pointing out the only reddit mega complaint thread that didn't get a positive Valve response was the begging for Diretide to come back

Also speaking of mini games: I hate siltbreaker and don't play it and everyone would be way more happy and have like 5 more gigs of hd space if they just had us play pudge wars for loot

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
It did get a response from Valve which is more than can said for other mediums.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqBvVM0aNf4

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Someone listen to the slacks episode of that and see if your sanity remains intact

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

steakmancer posted:

Someone listen to the slacks episode of that and see if your sanity remains intact

my sanity is fine, but slacks will never be ok

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I honestly thought you guys were being harsh ripping into slacks at every opportunity then I saw how much he makes on patreon and yeah gently caress him.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Its crazy how little we know(or maybe just me) of the money behind Dota 2's teams. I'd be very interested in learning the salaries and benefits of teams and studios. Like when RedEye hosts an international event, what does he make? Are his taxes complicated? Do teams offer medical benefits? poo poo like that. I remember Sunsfan saying that DC would be the most transparent team but that's hardly been the case. I still have no clue why DC and Freedom swapped.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Sunsfan has nothing to do with DC now

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Prize money was keeping teams so afloat that the only reason you needed a salary was if your team got knocked out very early. That's why there's so many player owned orgs lately. As far as benefits, I would be surprised if universal healthcare played a role in why NA lagged so far behind the rest of the world. Fear is one of the best ever but he was hosed by a lack of teammates in a bootstrap economy where you can't often afford to learn a skill without being paid.

If you decide you want to play competitive PC games for a living, you can at least try to follow that dream if you're Canadian and still be able to see a Doctor; but until 2014 you had a population seven times larger in the US going, "if I can't succeed at this before I'm 20 I need to stop and get a real job so a medical emergency doesn't ruin me."
Nowadays, if you can sponge off your parents for room and board (and even some Dota millionaires do) you can earn a real-life zero GPM trying in futility to be professional-good at Dota, and that poverty will give you Medicaid in some states. At least then your dream will die before your body does.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
No one who is a pro gamer at 22 is quiting because of the healthcare system haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

Prize money was keeping teams so afloat that the only reason you needed a salary was if your team got knocked out very early. That's why there's so many player owned orgs lately. As far as benefits, I would be surprised if universal healthcare played a role in why NA lagged so far behind the rest of the world. Fear is one of the best ever but he was hosed by a lack of teammates in a bootstrap economy where you can't often afford to learn a skill without being paid.

If you decide you want to play competitive PC games for a living, you can at least try to follow that dream if you're Canadian and still be able to see a Doctor; but until 2014 you had a population seven times larger in the US going, "if I can't succeed at this before I'm 20 I need to stop and get a real job so a medical emergency doesn't ruin me."
Nowadays, if you can sponge off your parents for room and board (and even some Dota millionaires do) you can earn a real-life zero GPM trying in futility to be professional-good at Dota, and that poverty will give you Medicaid in some states. At least then your dream will die before your body does.

Can someone translate this?

• Locked thread