Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

BeigeJacket posted:

Derek, why were your games so stupidly complicated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

thatguy posted:

My goal is to describe to you the true nature of a particular game.
I tell you some facts.
It is in space.
It is in development.
It is made by a renowned developer.
These are all facts. The truth is: it's Line of Defense.

The fact is that Star Citizen is bad, but the truth is that Line of Defense is bad.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tokamak posted:

He is sorta describing some philosophy of science concepts, but lol at trying to apply it to the most open game development ever. One philosophy of science concept that citizens never acknowledge is the existence of abductive reasoning.

I'm pretty sure at some point in that thread he told someone to "Read Plato" and it would all make sense lol.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TheAgent posted:

yeah they are starting to lose their minds because 3.0 is going to loving suck and I think they are all desperately trying to accept that

Where are we on the grief cycle now?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm pretty sure at some point in that thread he told someone to "Read Plato" and it would all make sense lol.

Christ, at this point "Clifford the Big Red Dog" would be astounding.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

no_recall posted:

Where are we on the grief cycle now?

This fucker is a 22 speed bike.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon posted:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Beet Wagon posted:

Actually the Allegory of the Cave explains a lot about this whole thing.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure if this was posted before, but I do hope Star Citizen as a "competitor" does the same.

http://ar2016.frontier.co.uk/

Star Citizen : there is no spoon.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm almost tempted to burn an alt to start a campaign to "show those goons" by buying more stuff from CIG.

Just to see how much we could get them to spend (to "show us up" of course).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

I guess you've been mistaken your entire life.

As I sit here, with my brandy snifter and wearing a red velvet jacket I view these past few posts as a bit of bemusement. A couple draws off my cigar and well I'll tell ya everything you need to know.

Read the July blog.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i'm starting to get hype for gamescon and citcon, they really can't afford another year of no progress

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Percelus posted:

i'm starting to get hype for gamescon and citcon, they really can't afford another year of no progress

they absolutely can the citizenry is strong.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

As demonstrated above, citizens are immune from basic logic and will take any adverse fact in any possible way to avoid seeing the project in a negative light.

This is delusional to the point of mental illness.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69hglPNOiTI&t=68s

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Look, I'm going to give you guys the benefit of the doubt.

If you could perceive something as it is knowing all facts and every facet about. You approach the truth of it. I say approach because even our perception is imperfect.

What I am more referring to here are other imperfections that humans have. We look at a fact. Something we can prove. Let us assume that on its own it is infallible if exhaustively researched. However we can not know the truth without all the facts, yet we often let ourselves think that we do.

Example,

My goal is to describe to you the true nature of a particular game.

I tell you some facts.

It is 3 years past the original launch date.

It is 120 million dollars over budget.

The CEO and lead designer has not made a game in over a decade.

The latest major patch is 6 months overdue and continually pushed back farther.

These are all facts. The truth is: Star Citizen is good.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat

SniperWoreConverse posted:

is this real because it's the first I've seen of it and it's making me flip the gently caress out

also the employees in that one room appear to have tied a noose for some reason

That's the old office I think before they built the new one isn't it?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

no_recall posted:

Not sure if this was posted before, but I do hope Star Citizen as a "competitor" does the same.

http://ar2016.frontier.co.uk/

Star Citizen : there is no spoon.

Just an FYI, from their report;

The CEO and his other executives all earned just around 200k for the year 2016 (clearly laid out, even though they don't have to)

Reminder that Chris' brother earned about the same amount, granted he seems to be the only executive to actually be doing any work

And most assuredly Chris paid himself at least double if not triple or quadruple that amount for 2016

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

God drat it the more I think about this the dumber it gets. A house cat is a dangerous predator. The fact that you called it a loving house cat does not make it less of a terrifying threat to a mouse! Star Citizen has a bunch of facts that point to it being a scam- if you disagree, present the evidence that convinced you otherwise. Otherwise you're just derailing by claiming you have some kind of line on an ultimate cosmic truth (Star Citizen is Good) and waving your hands as to why. "Truth can only be determined by the person who possesses all the facts" and then he doesn't follow up with a single fact that contradicts the version of "Truth" that he disagrees with.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 19, 2017

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Just wait till they get to the anger stage and start 'demanding answers' from CIG. It will be hilarious.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SniperWoreConverse posted:

is this real because it's the first I've seen of it and it's making me flip the gently caress out

also the employees in that one room appear to have tied a noose for some reason
Yes and no.

It's not real in that the wheezing and coughing is edited in.
It's real in that the wheezing and coughing was taken from the end of him climbing the stairs.

At least, that's what I remember. I tried to verify it by finding the original but instead got distracted by this hilarious thing I hadn't seen before:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12973-LA-Office-Opens posted:

Appropriately, Cloud Imperium’s next door neighbor is Ouya, another crowd funded gaming startup. And no worries about spending too much money on fancy new digs: the landlord is a fan who agreed to build out the office at his cost and who arranged for a deal on the space!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Star Citizen: Shadows on the Wall of a Cave

"Socrates concludes that the prisoners, if they were able, would therefore reach out and kill anyone who attempted to drag them out of the cave."

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Welcome back, G0RF! Was wondering how you'd been.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Moma's far to easily triggered by Derek to be a troll or paid shill.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

HKS posted:

Just wait till they get to the anger stage and start 'demanding answers' from CIG. It will be hilarious.

Watch in amazement as they get ignored! Be astounded as they are probated! Cry as they are banned! Sigh knowingly as the post in this thread. This Citizen Life.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 19, 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
but but but why didn't anyone tell me star citizen was bad and chris roberts was an idiot and now they are flatly denying refunds and and and

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
if the cyclone doesn't sell like hotcakes, they are hosed. I think they might be hosed funding wise anyway, but they better bring in $2m+ in the next two weeks

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
i can't hear myself over all this bargaining going on

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Can't wait for the Friday delay report.

"Did a bit of this, a bit of that, now we just gotta squash the bugs, yeah? Two weeks."

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Ponzi posted:

But are they really backers, as opposed to shills and/or people heavily invested in the grey market?

I think at this point, SC 'supporters' consist of the following:

i) Those that pledged the minimum amount and decided to subsequently forget about it until release.

ii) Mentally-challenged folk who cannot think rationally and support CIG whatever.

iii) Reputation-management company employees/shills.

iv) Grey-market traders, or those with other alterior motives.

I can't see how anyone with an ounce of common sense can look objectively at the current state of SC, with its delays, broken promises, bug-ridden modules, extravagant spending, shady marketting, and not decide that's it's become a clusterfuck of failure that will never match expectations, and then immediately put in for a refund.

I genuinely believe a majority of them are backers. We've seen how (ugh) 'gamers' get defensive about anything they like, and i think this is a combination of sunk cost fallacy ("i paid for it, i must support in it financially/vocally") and siege mentality that develops from reading critiques ("us vs the haters").

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

The Titanic posted:

My thoughts on landing and day night cycles:

CIG can pull off a day night cycle currently as well as a planet rotating (not orbiting anywhere, just spinning in place) by not requiring the ship to actually land. Just get close to the planet and you auto-land in a loading cutscene.

They can also time the FPS sun to the orbit sun pretty easily. Of course they should also be able to have the ring on their space station rotate easily too, so there's a good chance they'll gently caress this up if they try it.

But a loading zone, planet rotation that doesn't require actual reentry, and an FPS day and night cycle could be very doable for their 3.0 stuff.

Yes, the fact is that a day and night cycle is doable. A completely fake day and night cycle, that is -- but it would have to be fake at this point for 3.0 with only two moons, mind you, this is not a bad thing.
The truth is that CIG can't do this.

Also, the fact is that CIG has made an elaborate schedule that they update weekly about their upcoming 3.0 patch.
The truth is the schedule is a hot mess, was originally put together in an evening, resembles a gantt chart but it's not, most "tasks" are too generic, most of the deadlines have been missed, and an intern occasionally reshuffles some of the task-bars because he is bored out of his mind.

It's a fact that they are working on 3.0 though.
The truth is, 3.0 is their first actual development effort on something that won't look as a Crysis total conversion mod, and they are incompetent enough to screw it up royally.

(actually I won't be at all surprised if they can't get 3.0 out the door this year either. Disappointed for missing all the laughs, yes. But not surprised).

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

God drat it the more I think about this the dumber it gets. A house cat is a dangerous predator. The fact that you called it a loving house cat does not make it a terrifying threat to a mouse! Star Citizen has a bunch of facts that point to it being a scam- if you disagree, present the evidence that convinced you otherwise. Otherwise you're just derailing by claiming you have some kind of line on an ultimate cosmic truth (Star Citizen is Good) and waving your hands as to why. "Truth can only be determined by the person who possesses all the facts" and then he doesn't follow up with a single fact that contradicts the version of "Truth" that he disagrees with.

Well... to be fair. The game was good enough to get you to buy in a second time for quite a bit of money.

But your still a goonie goon and we love you.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

grimcreaper posted:

Well... to be fair. The game was good enough to get you to buy in a second time for quite a bit of money.

Is that a fact or the truth

Because, for all you know, he may have bought in a third time.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

No. I loving refuse to believe that this poo poo was not posted by a troll. There is no way in hell that a living breathing person actually thinks that way.

What the gently caress am I saying. The Cheeto exists. :negative:

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Holy crap GORF is back what a great time to be alive. Time to read this thread again

We got seriously worried, everyone thought CIG had got you.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

loving mentalgymnastics.jpg right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RattiRatto posted:

Holy crap GORF is back what a great time to be alive. Time to read this thread again

We got seriously worried, everyone thought CIG had got you.

First Toops, then GORF, soon :fuzzknot:?