Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.

WarpDogs posted:

nice to see a cool person make a cool game AND find success. not often all three of those line up!

Seems to happen fairly often around these parts. Unormal, Hand of Luke, madjackmcmad, kyzrati and now zircon and probably others i am forgetting. We have the best devs really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
This forum just draws a lot of great people. For example all the poker pros that started from here.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Harminoff posted:

This forum just draws a lot of great people. For example all the poker pros that started from here.

Poker is a good roguelike. It's got a randomized toolbox of clearly defined and documented parts, it forces you to continually weigh risk vs. reward, it punishes hubris, and it even has multiplayer. It doesn't even have any instadeaths - you have to voluntarily risk everything in order to be taken out in one turn. I will say, though, that the occasional slow death spiral that comes from running low on resources is pretty frustrating and might turn away newer players

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Now I want a roguelike where monsters can 'bluff' their level or attributes to either to scare away adventurers or lure them to their deaths

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Poker is a good roguelike. It's got a randomized toolbox of clearly defined and documented parts, it forces you to continually weigh risk vs. reward, it punishes hubris, and it even has multiplayer. It doesn't even have any instadeaths - you have to voluntarily risk everything in order to be taken out in one turn. I will say, though, that the occasional slow death spiral that comes from running low on resources is pretty frustrating and might turn away newer players

Solitaire is also a roguelike.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rogue thread successfully proves everything is rogue again

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Solomon did that in the Bible. He figured out that existence was pointless and your accomplishments counted for nothing and then you die. It happens all over and over again in a contest for a better score than the last guy.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Pvt.Scott posted:

Solomon did that in the Bible. He figured out that existence was pointless and your accomplishments counted for nothing and then you die. It happens all over and over again in a contest for a better score than the last guy.

:ughh:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Really appreciating this avatar/post combo :allears:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Look, if you're doubting that God is a roguelike developer, just look at all the evidence.

• He created a world in 7 days, and it procedurally developed from then on.
  • The book of job demonstrates the typical relationship between dev and player.
  • Death was long considered permanent until the Jesus 2.0 update. Some players still swear only by the original version.
  • Many optional conducts
  • forked into many godband variants, some forgotten to time.
  • The highest scoring player ever managed to break the food clock

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LordSloth posted:

Look, if you're doubting that God is a roguelike developer, just look at all the evidence.

• Death was long considered permanent until the Jesus 2.0 update. Some players still swear only by the original version.
  • Many optional conducts

Wait, I didn't know there's a high score list. Who broke the food clock?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

LordSloth posted:

• Many optional conducts

This made my day. :golfclap:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait, I didn't know there's a high score list. Who broke the food clock?

What? You didn't hear about feeding five thousand with only five bread rations and two canned fish? Much later, we ritually consume his flesh and blood to sustain the soul, in the roguelike tradition of eating the dead.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LordSloth posted:

What? You didn't hear about feeding five thousand with only five bread rations and two canned fish? Much later, we ritually consume his flesh and blood to sustain the soul, in the roguelike tradition of eating the dead.

Oh, that guy. I don't think it counts if he's one of the devs using wizard mode.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh, that guy. I don't think it counts if he's one of the devs using wizard mode.

He is agreed to have been a dev, but whether he used methods unavailable to the ordinary player or whether he merely used an absolutely brilliant comprehension of the rules, being himself only the best player among billions, has been the source of much friction in the community ever since.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://store.steampowered.com/app/628770/Tangledeep/

It's out on early access :toot:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I just want to find the Artifact Spellbook of Summon Dire Bears like Elisha did.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Tangledeep's out o-

Too slow, I guess.

Anyways, if you didn't get it through kickstarter you can get it now at 10% off!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jazerus posted:

I just want to find the Artifact Spellbook of Summon Dire Bears like Elisha did.
Go up (stairs) thou bald head

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Go up (stairs) thou bald head

Thou art early, but we'll admit thee.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I just ascended for the first time in Dream Quest and it's incredible how, when sitting to test it, I ended up playing for 4 hours straight and after days of obsession it has become one of my favorite games ever. I'm still kicking myself that I skipped this for so long because of the art. It's digital crack. Buy it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mystic Stylez posted:

I just ascended for the first time in Dream Quest and it's incredible how, when sitting to test it, I ended up playing for 4 hours straight and after days of obsession it has become one of my favorite games ever. I'm still kicking myself that I skipped this for so long because of the art. It's digital crack. Buy it.

People have rightfully criticized Dream Quest in this thread for the way in which the game will happily and freely gently caress up your run if given half the chance - it's entirely, completely possible to get onto a floor whose boss (or even a normal enemy!) is a complete hard counter for your class, or where you just don't find the right tools you need to be able to get through a run, or any one of a hundred things aside. As such, it isn't for everyone by any means.

By the same token, though, I still love it. God drat, it's easy to just play and play and play.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

4/*45

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 2, 2017

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Buy Dungeonm Tangledeep.

Also buy Dungeonmans.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Any recommendations for roguelikes on an Android?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Artificer posted:

Pathos is a nice touch-capable version of Nethack for Android. Plus the dev is nice and responsive.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Mystic Stylez posted:

I agree, there's way too many things that can totally gently caress you and you can't control, from the simple way enemies are disposed on the map to health packs to shop availability, it goes on.

However, there's usually at least some mitigation, be it class or card related, e.g. poison attacks for physical characters, the Monk ability that turns every attack into piercing, etc.

And the parts that work are absolutely well done, extremely addicting and surprisely balanced. There's lots of different strategies that are viable, the classes feel unique, the enemies and bosses are varied, the graphics grow on you, the achievements are reasonable and give a good sense of progression... I could keep going.

Still, it feels very difficult to me, to the point of being unsure if I will ever be able to regularly do well. The run where I ascended gave me every single lucky break to the point of being ridiculous. One of those times, from the 300+ cards that are available in the game, I got, with the only attempt possible, exactly the item I needed to refill my whole HP instead of getting a game over.

I brought it up earlier, but Monster Slayers is basically this with a bunch of the edges sanded off. I played that game before DQ and it's retrospectively really interesting to see what just got copied wholesale and what they decided to change.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

LordSloth posted:

• Many optional conducts

Pushing the holy land expansion back 40 years because of the official forum's complaints about the preview was kind of harsh.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

super sweet best pal posted:

Pushing the holy land expansion back 40 years because of the official forum's complaints about the preview was kind of harsh.

The Rapture DLC has 144,000 Early Access keys if you sign up and obey the rules, though.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Just came across Kingsway on RPS, it's pretty neat so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBpJdxeguk8

http://store.steampowered.com/app/588950/

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Artificer posted:

Hoplite leans a bit closer to a tactical puzzle game than a rogue-like, but it's very good and, as far as I know, mobile-exclusive.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Artificer posted:

Obligatory Sproggiwood plug, because Sproggiwood is cool and unormal hooked me up with a beta build that actually runs on my phone. Curse of Yendor is the other non-Pathos one I have installed and while I haven't sunk a ton of time into it so far, I really like its emphasis on terrain. More games need to focus on terrain. Terrain stuff rules.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Hahahaha. It's windows all the way down. Those roaming enemy windows are a nice touch, too.

Also, Tangledeep? More like Tanglepurchased.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Pvt.Scott posted:

Hahahaha. It's windows all the way down. Those roaming enemy windows are a nice touch, too.

Also, Tangledeep? More like Tanglepurchased.

help

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Welp, I am loving sold.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

So happy to see Tangledeep available; I missed the Kickstarter and have been looking forward to it. I've gotten to play just a tiny, tiny bit, and am looking foward to more.

Kingsway is definitely going on the wishlist.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I actually backed Tangledeep at the $15 level but I haven't gotten anything about joining Early Access. How do I do that?

Edit: It (with my Steam key) got automatically sorted into Promotions by gmail, instead of showing up in my main inbox like other kickstarter updates. That's not great, but at least I found it. If possible, you might want to put out a kickstarter message telling people to check that, Zircon.

Looking forward to playing it when I get home though!

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 19, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
oh my god loving sold :retrogames: :allears:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Can someone pinpoint for me the moment when Adult Swim became a crypto Good Game developer publisher?

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Keeshhound posted:

Can someone pinpoint for me the moment when Adult Swim became a crypto Good Game developer?

When it happens, I'll be sure to let you know.