Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
even if you wanted the gil, in the gba version you can quicksave to avoid him

in the other versions theres no point to fighting him. no reward except continuing on gil squares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I could say "I beat Gil Turtle with my Fiesta team :smug:". I KNOW there is zero other reason; I'm not asking for the if, I'm asking for the how (best).

It's on Mobile, btw.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Simply Simon posted:

I'm considering Gil Turtle just for "fun", basically, as I might have a good team to actually do it. Still not quite there, though. Team is Knight (to Cover), White Mage (for Blink), Geomancer (for Cave-ins) and Red Mage (for, uh, Blizzaras?).

I will need a source of Float; is there something available in W2? If not, I can scratch the plan anyway. Apart from that, each Cave-in makes it counter twice, so four Turtles in a row. It's possible even when forgetting about Blink, as I just tried, but maybe not the ideal attack to hope for. Any ideas? Also, is Red Mage useful or should I see what my fifth Job is first (very probably)?

The Poison Eagles in Drakenvale can cast levitate if confused, but they start with 0 MP so you have to shove an Ether into them.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Any party with a Knight can easily beat Gil Turtle. It'll take forever with your team though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I am hella PEEVED posted:

The Poison Eagles in Drakenvale can cast levitate if confused, but they start with 0 MP so you have to shove an Ether into them.

You'll also want to cast Blink on them so they don't kill themselves with physicals.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

ultrafilter posted:

What the hell, I'll make a pledge too. The general consensus is that the most overpowered jobs are Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist, so let's see what y'all can do without them. I'll throw in $10 for every goon who triple crowns with none of those jobs. No upper limit, but that's every goon, not every run.

If you're still doing this, I've got one. Though using the GBA version Beastmaster on Omega is kind of cheating.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Run #2 complete! Chaos No 750 gave me Zerk, Dragoon, Samurai, Zerk. Cleared with everyone 39-41.

I was not going to even try to do Shinryu or Omega on this one. I did go for the bravest blade, though, since I didn't feel like trying to mitigate chicken fleeing with Jump.

Below is a comprehensive list of bosses that were not killed by 4 berzerking warriors (and had me exerting some level of actual control in battle):

Wing Raptor (pre-crystals, but in fairness I just held down the A button and fast forwarded anyway)
Sandworm (duh)
Puroboros (Zeninage time)
Necrophobe
Neo Exdeath

The rest were just utterly mowed down by my crew as I held the fast-forward button. Even bosses that would have been a huge pain for an actual 4 zerker lineup (like Sol Cannon) were trivial since I could also use Equip Lance/Equip Katana for more weapon options to hit elemental weaknesses or help mitigate axe accuracy issues.

Good times, though I'll probably wait a while before I do a third fiesta.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 17, 2017

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
Hey thread, I picked up my old 2015 save recently and registered/job faired my old jobs back so I can finish my original run and complete the game for the first time. Previously I stopped just before starting World 2 but I've made good progress over the week and now I'm just about to start World 3! It turns out my original job roll was pretty op so I've been using it as an excuse to set the extra challenge of completing the bestiary.

I've just taken out Gil Turtle but I was wondering if anyone had some good advice for my squad for an easier victory? My jobs are monk/time mage/ranger/chemist. My strategy in the end was to buff my monk's levels to the point where a couple of rounds of rapid fire took it down (along with all the counters he'd done up to that point) but it took a while of careful defence to get to that point and I'm sure there must have been a better way.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

I'm on my 4th run and once again looking for some more advice on taking down Omega. I have blue/mystic/red/dancer, which has been a very awesome run so far. I know I have a great offense in thundaga chicken knife sword dances so I can take him legit and my current plan is similar to the successful set-up from last run I had dancer (equip ribbons and red dresses on everyone to stop confuse from counters) except this time I have better damage so I can take him out much faster and with fewer counters.

I am mostly just wondering if blue mage has anything in its arsenal other than mighty guard (shell and float is awesome) that is any good against Omega?

Love Machine
Sep 7, 2012

Batteries not included.
Finished a run for once! :toot:

I never want to do a run where I do zero damage until chicken knife/holy again.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Serene Dragon posted:

I'm on my 4th run and once again looking for some more advice on taking down Omega. I have blue/mystic/red/dancer, which has been a very awesome run so far. I know I have a great offense in thundaga chicken knife sword dances so I can take him legit and my current plan is similar to the successful set-up from last run I had dancer (equip ribbons and red dresses on everyone to stop confuse from counters) except this time I have better damage so I can take him out much faster and with fewer counters.

I am mostly just wondering if blue mage has anything in its arsenal other than mighty guard (shell and float is awesome) that is any good against Omega?

White Wind

Edit - ffffffffffffffffff

https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/886385334837280768

So what level should I be doing Shinryu with this team

derra fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 16, 2017

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mountaineer posted:

If you're still doing this, I've got one. Though using the GBA version Beastmaster on Omega is kind of cheating.

You're on the list.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I'm playing my first playthrough, and want to find a battle speed and Active/Wait combination that is "fair". Wait doesn't pause on the main battle menu, right? And battle speed ONLY affects enemy speed, right???

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 16, 2017

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm still plugging through my first run (Beastmaster and Berserker x3) and came across an odd bug that doesn't seem to be mentioned much, in fact I could only find a single GameFAQs thread mentioning it, even the FF Wiki doesn't mention it.

I'm grinding/getting Mirage Vests in the Island Shrine, and so I put Berserk on Lenna, my Beastmaster, so I could do it automatically. I ran into a back attack against the Oiserares, and the first thing I noticed was that instead of being red like a Berserked character usually is, Lenna's sprite was normal colored. In addition, one of the Oisearares cast Confuse, and Lenna became confused...which is very odd, since Berserk is supposed to make you immune to confuse. A few fights later I ran into another back attack and the same thing happened, Lenna's sprite was normal colored. This time however after a couple of seconds, she turned red and began auto-attacking like she's supposed to.

So, I know probably only one other person here has ever used Berserk before, but just so people know. If a character has Berserk equipped as an ability and gets into a back attack, they are NOT considered to be in the Berserk status until their ATB actually fills and they take their turn, meaning they are vulnerable to confuse and charm in that short period of time. This does not apply to the actual Berserker class, though, they are in Berserk status innately and aren't affected. It only affects characters who are not a Berserker but have the Berserk ability equipped.

A very weird bug, to be sure.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

derra posted:

White Wind

Guess I had that one coming, but other than mighty guard and white wind, are there any blue magic tricks that work on Omega? Though he is heavy and has a poo poo-ton of magic evade, so I suppose not.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Serene Dragon posted:

Guess I had that one coming, but other than mighty guard and white wind, are there any blue magic tricks that work on Omega? Though he is heavy and has a poo poo-ton of magic evade, so I suppose not.

Other than Thousand Needles, not really. I personally wouldn't bother with your team, because you have no lockdown and no guaranteed damage outside of landing fifty-six Thousand Needles casts. (Sword Dance is auto-hit, but gently caress me I would not want to deal with an active and angry Omega trying to land five of them)

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Other than Thousand Needles, not really. I personally wouldn't bother with your team, because you have no lockdown and no guaranteed damage outside of landing fifty-six Thousand Needles casts. (Sword Dance is auto-hit, but gently caress me I would not want to deal with an active and angry Omega trying to land five of them)

I beat him on my second run with samurai, samurai, dancer, summoner so this is actually going to be a breeze compared to that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fair enough. I'm lazy and don't bother with Omega without lockdown. :v:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ghost-Slug posted:

Hey thread, I picked up my old 2015 save recently and registered/job faired my old jobs back so I can finish my original run and complete the game for the first time. Previously I stopped just before starting World 2 but I've made good progress over the week and now I'm just about to start World 3! It turns out my original job roll was pretty op so I've been using it as an excuse to set the extra challenge of completing the bestiary.

I've just taken out Gil Turtle but I was wondering if anyone had some good advice for my squad for an easier victory? My jobs are monk/time mage/ranger/chemist. My strategy in the end was to buff my monk's levels to the point where a couple of rounds of rapid fire took it down (along with all the counters he'd done up to that point) but it took a while of careful defence to get to that point and I'm sure there must have been a better way.

Chemist could force berserk and blind. No counters and he would rarely hit you so it would be a matter of time even if you never buffed your monk. Essentially the exact same way you can take out both Omega and Shinryu.

Quick question I have, does !mug effect counters in older versions? On iOS I noticed that multiple bosses and enemies wouldn't counter attack if I used mug instead of attack. Prime example being lemures in Phoenix tower(which was extremely useful, not dealing with hugs)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Gil Turtle is immune to Blind, so no luck there. !Rapid Fire with the Monk is probably the best option for that team, aside from playing the waiting game with Counter (which takes forever).

Nasgate posted:

Quick question I have, does !mug effect counters in older versions? On iOS I noticed that multiple bosses and enemies wouldn't counter attack if I used mug instead of attack. Prime example being lemures in Phoenix tower(which was extremely useful, not dealing with hugs)

Enemies which react to physical commands or damage in general will counter !Mug, but it'll never proc standard attack counters, because, well, it's not a standard attack.

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
I found another interesting Berserker bug on my current run. Similar to how Berserkers get a free turn when revived from death, they also get a free turn if you stall long enough while inputting commands under Quick status. Not only that, but they sometimes seem to get 2 turns back to back.

Speaking of which, a Time/3serk triple crown:

I quickleaked all of them, including Exdeath, because I didn't feel like doing the grinding or RNG attempts required otherwise (though I got pretty close on Exdeath). It was a no-speedup quickleak though! Also the medals are poor proof but I wasn't running any video capture when they died, so had to settle for a picture of the screen.

Another highlight of the run was doing the Undersea Trench for Meteor with Equip Rods and Sage Staff on a Berserker. A goofy fight ensued. Yes, I could've just killed them all with the magic lamp. No, I didn't think of it until afterward.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Finished my first ever run. And it was also apparently the first time I ever made it past the Fire Crystal. I could have sworn that I beat this game back when the fan translation first came out, but nope. :shrug:

RNG was kind to me for my first run, giving me Knight, Blue Mage, Berserker, and Beastmaster. Knight and Berserker return for my second run, but Blue Mage and Beastmaster have been replaced with Mystic Knight and... Monk.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Trying to do Shinryu with quad-Zerk. If my math was right, I had him down to 3500 HP and then Chicken Knife run proc'd. Excuse me while I :downsgun:

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

(note to ultrafilter in case it saves you effort: you have already counted me)

I think Classic is the only flavor of Natural I will ever try. FF1 Jobs are generally pretty strong and you get (5/6 of) them at the start, which to some extent mitigates the lack of flexibility due to no cross-class abilities.

Notes:
-Monk did respectable damage sometimes but was usually overshadowed by the others. For several fights Cara was a pure itembot.
-Black magic is strong. Outside of being my biggest source of damage for bosses, having large AoE damage really made a difference in having shorter grinds. Compared to my no750 omega run grind in the trench, the black magic grinding in the Rift's forest was relatively painless.
-White magic is even better. I went up to level 28 for world 2 exdeath and honestly it was a cakewalk because of my buffs. The only limitation was that due to Natural rules I had only one Shell/Image caster so sometimes it took a while to set everybody up.
-I somehow managed to not get the lamp and realized this fact only when fighting Neo Exdeath. When I had tried to get the lamp the first time, I stopped at Castle Kuza for the sage's staff and got murdered by a shield dragon. The second time I tried I went to Castle Kuza first, _almost_ got murdered by a shield dragon, and then apparently I went back to the airship without going to the waterfall at all.
-It turns out that Neo Exdeath is considerably more difficult without the lamp! I tried about 3-4 times then did the long walk of shame. The issue was that with only one white magic caster I couldn't maintain shell+full hp on enough people to survive almagest because the back part was constantly one-shotting my nerds with its magic. I guess I could have won if I had just continued with attempts until I got a very early lucky Break off, but with the lamp I could just kill the Almagest part with damage in relative safety.
-It took me several iterations to get a workable setup vs Omega. My first attempt was to start with 2 or so wall rings, cast reflect on a third party member, then reflect bolt3 off of 3/4 of the party, with the fourth member taking damage so that Omega wouldn't counter. This didn't work because having only 2 characters with haste just doesn't cut it vs Omega, even with no counters. My second iteration was giving one character a wall ring and trying to push through counters and all. This sometimes made progress, but doing only 5k damage per cast meant that the more extended fights got unlucky encircles, quakes, or mustard bombs. Finally, I started with everyone having hermes sandals, and opened with lamp-Carbuncle + Dispel on my DiamondPLT-clad monk. This let me get in big damage without counters at the start of the fight, and by the time Carbuncle wore off I only needed a few more reflected bolts to win.

RitzBlues
May 30, 2014

My first ever Triple Crown!

Thanks Basch for taking a beating like a champ!

#RegPureChaos #FifthJob #BERSERKERRISK :black101:

I used the Fiesta Mod GBA version, and started with BRD/BER/ZER/KER. Starting the game as a Bard before learning any songs is not much fun. There were many times where W1 Bards had all of the weaknesses of Thieves, with none of the benefits. !Hide was the only saving grace. !Hide was extremely useful for dodging Siren's Undead phase, draining all of Magissa's mana before summoning Forza.
:black101: :black101: :black101:
Berserkers were a warm welcome until about halfway through W2, when reflected death procs became more of a nuisance than a benefit.
After getting Fifthjob (WHI), I also dropped a dollar to snag Beastmaster at this point so I could kill NED with a Zomberker.

Omega was easily Romeo locked, and Shinryu couldn't hit a thing. Bards are by far my favorite class to have completely pimped out in W2 and beyond. I know Chemists can ROFLstomp everything, but there's something nice about not really having to manage inventory or farm !mix reagents.

I killed Exdeath/NED by having a zombified berserker with Fire Lash, Aegis Shield, and Reflect Ring at the start of the fight, and had the other 3 party members !Hide until the fight was over. Using fast-forward to speed things up a bit, the fight took about 1 hour.

That was fun, but I think I'll bow out until next year. Streaming made the game harder to work into my schedule, and I don't think I can complete another one before the end of August. I'll register again, just to see what jobs I get, but no promises.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Will a zombie monk, or a zombie beserker with !counter, still counterattack enemies that hit them? or does being a zombie disable !counter?

RitzBlues
May 30, 2014

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Will a zombie monk, or a zombie beserker with !counter, still counterattack enemies that hit them? or does being a zombie disable !counter?

Great question! I have no idea. If it does, then the same trick would apply for Monks/!Counter characters. The only trouble is, NED is primarily a caster, so it'll take a bit longer, depending on what triggers !Counters. Reflect ring would be optional too.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

What the gently caress is Omniscient on Mobile with White Mage (and Hippy poo poo, Knight and Monk). I can make him do Firas at least with Magic Lamp, then spam Chocobo hoping for a fat one. Until it procs "Egg Chop" (I don't know?) and this somehow triggers Return. Wow! I tried breaking my sole Holy casting Staff, but nope! Return. I know that I can't Berserk him because Matrix says gently caress you. Do I need to hope for Silence procs and actually take the Knight along? Ughhh why did Fifth Job give me MONK of all Jobs, I'd kill for a Red Mage right now...

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Oooh! You have the combo I've been waiting to try: Berserk him* and see if you can Counter him to death. Yes, it will take forever.

*You can Berserk him, it just doesn't stop his Reset counter. So wait for him to bounce a Silence or a Stop and cast Berserk, then wait and see if the Monk is allowed to hit back.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

lol this actually works, the Monk can counter no problem! I don't even need anything fancy, you can just Berserk him. He'll cast Return even if he's bers, not as a reaction to being Berserked.

Now to figure out how to survive his hits properly (you can counter even missed hits, right? Then Blink suffices), and I'm good.

...I will loving kill him with Brave Blade counters, that rear end

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, counter-attacks and HP Leak damage bypass Counter scripts. This is why the HP Leak strategy works for Archaeoavis, for example.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I don't remember how it works in other versions, but on Mobile Omni's counter script is based off the command you use to hit him with. So breaking rods/magic lamp are technically uses of the "Item" command which are verboten in the Rugwizard's abode. Counter, not being a command at all, should work.

Do things like the Mage Masher's Silence proc trigger on counter attacks? If so you shouldn't even need to wait for him to silence himself.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's also why Tree!Exdeath doesn't have regular physical attacks. If died from a counter attack it'd skip the Neoexdeath fight.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

agradine posted:

I don't remember how it works in other versions, but on Mobile Omni's counter script is based off the command you use to hit him with. So breaking rods/magic lamp are technically uses of the "Item" command which are verboten in the Rugwizard's abode. Counter, not being a command at all, should work.

Do things like the Mage Masher's Silence proc trigger on counter attacks? If so you shouldn't even need to wait for him to silence himself.

That's how it works in all versions, yeah. The thing that makes Omniscient different in mobile is that he can somehow still cast Return while Berserked, whereas in every other version, React: scripts are turned off by Berserk.

The things that trigger React:Physical scripting, fwiw, are:

quote:

Kyrosiris: THIS poo poo AIN'T MAGIC (and will trigger React: Physical scripts): Item, Fight, Kick, Focus, Steal, Mug, Lance, Jump, Throw, Mineuchi, Zeninage, Animals, Aim, Rapid Fire, Call, Check, Scan, Release, Mix, Gaia, and Dance.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

agradine posted:

You can use the Lamp on Omni, at least on the iOS version--if there are different Matrix versions I'm going to sue them or something. It must just be considered Summon instead of Item (because you definitely can't break rods on him). What's weird is that Simply Simon is right: there is one attack from the lamp that triggers the counter, Egg Chop.

code:
10.23 MAGIC LAMP

Using the Magic Lamp in battle casts a Summon spell.  Starting with Bahamut,
each subsequent use causes the Lamp to use the next less powerful summon (i.e.
Leviathan, Phoenix, Odin etc.)  Once it reaches Chocobo, it will continue to
summon Chocobo on subsequent uses.  After 20 Chocobo summons, it will then cast
Egg Chop on use, which essentially does nothing (thanks to Not Dave for 
confirming the number of Chocobo Summons before Egg Chop appears).

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

Until it procs "Egg Chop" (I don't know?)
I don't know how true this source is but it might be a Hanjuku Hero reference that they half removed (twice, kinda). I don't know if anyone's verified the FF5A JP video (that isn't embedded right) which shows it off, either, although the wiki does have that sprite.

It's probably true because the Famicom game does have an Egg Man summon that uses Egg Chop (which always misses).

Linoge
Aug 11, 2015
Hello Goons,

It's that time of year again where I ask for help Triple Crowning in my Fiesta run.

This year my team is Samurai, White Mage, Geomancer, and Monk (it's a Pure Chaos run).

So I'm pretty sure I've got Shinryu down with Berserk + Blink (the trick will be getting the blinks off before getting murdered by a berserked superboss, but we'll see), but I'm worried about Omega. My research says the Gaia Bell will actually do damage to him (please correct me now if I'm wrong), but barring that I'm hoping a !Focus'ed Chicken Knife will break through his defense. But I'm wondering about shutting down his offense. Am I going to need to power-level to an absurd level to be able to soak his damage, or is the power of White Mage enough that I can soak what he throws at me? If I have to grind, it'll be in real time, so I'm hoping to avoid it.

Any tips you can offer for either of these bosses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Linoge posted:

Hello Goons,

It's that time of year again where I ask for help Triple Crowning in my Fiesta run.

This year my team is Samurai, White Mage, Geomancer, and Monk (it's a Pure Chaos run).

So I'm pretty sure I've got Shinryu down with Berserk + Blink (the trick will be getting the blinks off before getting murdered by a berserked superboss, but we'll see), but I'm worried about Omega. My research says the Gaia Bell will actually do damage to him (please correct me now if I'm wrong), but barring that I'm hoping a !Focus'ed Chicken Knife will break through his defense. But I'm wondering about shutting down his offense. Am I going to need to power-level to an absurd level to be able to soak his damage, or is the power of White Mage enough that I can soak what he throws at me? If I have to grind, it'll be in real time, so I'm hoping to avoid it.

Any tips you can offer for either of these bosses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You have no way to penetrate his 95% evade. Buildup doubles M, not A, so will still do no damage. High level Samurai crits would be better than Gaia Bell hits, but this is a party I would not consider it possible to TC.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

lol this actually works, the Monk can counter no problem! I don't even need anything fancy, you can just Berserk him. He'll cast Return even if he's bers, not as a reaction to being Berserked.

Now to figure out how to survive his hits properly (you can counter even missed hits, right? Then Blink suffices), and I'm good.

...I will loving kill him with Brave Blade counters, that rear end
If you have Knight and Monk, then you can trivially murder anything that only uses physical attacks. Just get Counter on your Knight and have them use !Guard with everyone else in the party at critical health. The net result is that any physical attacks will be -redirected to the Knight via Cover, -blocked with !Guard, and -inverted half the time with Counter. In fact if you don't need to have anyone else in the party (such as in the Fork Tower, naturally) you can just swap this to putting !Guard on a Monk, as you won't need to redirect attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

If you have Knight and Monk, then you can trivially murder anything that only uses physical attacks. Just get Counter on your Knight and have them use !Guard with everyone else in the party at critical health. The net result is that any physical attacks will be -redirected to the Knight via Cover, -blocked with !Guard, and -inverted half the time with Counter. In fact if you don't need to have anyone else in the party (such as in the Fork Tower, naturally) you can just swap this to putting !Guard on a Monk, as you won't need to redirect attacks.
Then I cannot Berserk him, though. I need two people. It's still great advice.

(I might not have known that !Guard is a perfect block command...)

• Locked thread