Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't really get the appeal of Petrol, it's not a super interesting color and has analogs in other brands. Dark Lilac was a lot cooler and it didn't seem like people went nearly so nuts for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah it's basically a poor man's Yama-dori

e: except more expensive lol

Noctone fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 18, 2017

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you have cartridges I'd buy them, I just ordered a Petrol, but had o buy some other ink.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, getting the ink in the post above me. That's nice. :allears:

AMISH FRIED PIES fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 18, 2017

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I just got the last bottle of Nitrogen Royal Blue from Vanness. Looking forward to dat sheen

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

https://twitter.com/gouletpens/status/886943985511657472

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

I need someone to manage my finances and prevent me from emptying my wallet at Goulet. This does not bode well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I need at least one bottle of Iroshizuku if only for the bottle itself.

Right now I’m leaning toward yama‐budo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Mein Gott. Gonna have to pick up another bottle.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Yams Budo is a very solid choice. My favorite is Yu Yake tho.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Ku-Jaku and Kon-Peki are top tier inks.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Asa gao is that perfect mix of professional and playful. No other blue straddles that line so well.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

For the record, the reason this is possible is that Pilot Japan has finally agreed with all its dealers that everyone was just parallel importing and/or mass purchasing their inks without paying the dumb as hell official price. The price cut hit Asian markets a couple months back and Pilot USA finally got the same approval from head office, or some poo poo like that.

The only actual manufacturing change to Iroshizuku in recent years is that while the bottles used to be made by hand (dear god WHY) they are now made by machine. You can't really tell the difference and the new bottles are just as pretty.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kessel posted:

For the record, the reason this is possible is that Pilot Japan has finally agreed with all its dealers that everyone was just parallel importing and/or mass purchasing their inks without paying the dumb as hell official price. The price cut hit Asian markets a couple months back and Pilot USA finally got the same approval from head office, or some poo poo like that.

The only actual manufacturing change to Iroshizuku in recent years is that while the bottles used to be made by hand (dear god WHY) they are now made by machine. You can't really tell the difference and the new bottles are just as pretty.

Glad they finally pulled their heads out of their rear end, it always felt kinda silly buying everything except this one specific brand of ink from the same few stores.

Everyone should own some Yama-Budo.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I love Shin-kai for work stuff, and it works well enough on lovely office paper.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I need someone to manage my finances and prevent me from emptying my wallet at Goulet. This does not bode well.

Is that supposed to be a Japanese maple or a marijuana leaf?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
In context, I'd assume Japanese maple. Goulet is a real christian, family-friendly type business, and they'd go apeshit about a weed leaf being in their social media presence.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

Goulet will actually sell you an empty Iroshizuku bottle for $4, if you wanna go that route.

I got a bottle of Kiri-same in today off Kessel's recommendation, but Kon-peki is always a pro choice as well. (I actually have three Iroshizuku inks in the full 50ml bottles, Kiri-same, Kon-peki, and Shin-kai, as well as six more in the smaller 15ml sampler sizes.)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Is that supposed to be a Japanese maple or a marijuana leaf?

It's Japanese maple because the word for that plant is momiji, like that ink color.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I'm sure that once or twice, in his wilder school days, Brian Goulet experimented with saying the word marijuana.

Also goddammit, I ordered some pinkish ink samples to compare to yama-budo, but forgot to actually order the yama-budo. Oh well, I'm sure they'll be lovely inks in their own right; Australian Roses and Diamine Claret and a couple others.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Be careful with the Noodlers sample. My Australian Roses looked awesome in my sample and completely different in the bottle I ordered. Really turned me off Noodlers.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Trustworthy posted:

I'm sure that once or twice, in his wilder school days, Brian Goulet experimented with saying the word marijuana.

Also goddammit, I ordered some pinkish ink samples to compare to yama-budo, but forgot to actually order the yama-budo. Oh well, I'm sure they'll be lovely inks in their own right; Australian Roses and Diamine Claret and a couple others.

I didn't know they were full tilt. I just thought they were in NC because it was cheap. Did they post a political video at some point?

Those new cheaper inks are so tempting. Still need to order my next step pen but moving is expensive. So I'm on hold for such things :(

jiffypop45 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 19, 2017

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Lowness 72 posted:

Be careful with the Noodlers sample. My Australian Roses looked awesome in my sample and completely different in the bottle I ordered. Really turned me off Noodlers.

Australian Roses, specifically, had a formula change there for a while. Was your bottle a lot more purple?

IIRC Tardif was like, "One of my suppliers changed a vital ingredient, I can never ever make the original Australian Roses again!" Then after everybody gave him poo poo about it for months, he was like, "Okay fine, *poof*, I figured out a way," and switched back.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Yes! Well opposite. My sample was this beautiful purple-red-black. The bottle was basically pink. Which was the original formulation?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Lowness 72 posted:

Yes! Well opposite. My sample was this beautiful purple-red-black. The bottle was basically pink. Which was the original formulation?

Pretty sure the dusky pink one is the original and current formula, and that the more vivid, purpler blend was the temporary one.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

jiffypop45 posted:

I didn't know they were full tilt. I just thought they were in NC because it was cheap. Did they post a political video at some point?

Goulet's are based in Virginia, and they've never said anything political (too savvy for that), but they're both devout Catholics who project the image of having no life outside of faith, family, and fountain pens.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I thought I has a pen ship from there. Guess I'm confused. Though as long as they're not being noisy about it I'll keep spending money on them.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Trustworthy posted:

Pretty sure the dusky pink one is the original and current formula, and that the more vivid, purpler blend was the temporary one.

In a rare coincidence, the pen I picked to carry today was inked with Black Swan in Australian. Here's a pretty true rendition of what my bottle looks like:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
Any lefties in the thread who will never know the bliss of stub nibs? My wife has them on her Al-Star and her Eco & I hate that all my cross strokes are hair thin. I suppose I could become ambidextrous... ;_;

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Or you could try an oblique

Edit:

Got this in today. Very pretty, Wenge wood and brass.

grack fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 20, 2017

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Got myself a new pen - a burgundy metal Pilot Falcon, ground to a left oblique: http://imgur.com/X896cHI

It's quite nice. Not as smooth as my Pelikan (and I didn't expect it to), but the line is much finer, and supports a good amount of flex. I can use this both for note-taking, playing around, and serious long-form writing, I think. I was a bit apprehensive because it's not a piston filler (which I prefer for fancy pens), but the converter seems pretty solid.

This is my first Japanese pen, my older ones have all been German (plus an old Sheaffer). I guess I will have to get some Japanese ink, next!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Goulet is having a moving sale. 10% off all inks and paper. Really great prices on Iroshizuki inks since the discount is on top off the new price. I picked up the orange color (sorry I'm terrible with the names). Also lots of Diamine. I've decided Diamine is my favorite ink brand. The 30 ml size is perfect -more than a sample but not an absurd amount of ink and the price point is still within impulse range.

I really wanted to pick up Edelstein Topaz too but it's like $25! I bought more Diamine instead. Only bummer is they were out of Blood orange. Really wanted that.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Diamine is really good, agreed.

I've got some cheap Chinese pens on the way! :toot:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have a bottle of American Aristocracy that is kind of a deep concord wine color that I absolutely love, but the ink itself is one of the most insanely over-feathering inks I've ever used. I can't find a pen fine enough or a paper of good enough quality to use it with. Would diluting it make it feather less?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Heath posted:

Would diluting it make it feather less?

That’s generally how it works, yeah.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What's a good dilution ratio to use? I would like to not lose the color, although it's a very dark ink so I probably have a pretty good threshold to work with.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
How much do you have to dilute? I have a blue iroshizuku that feathers a bit too much for my liking in campus notebooks. Using a fine pilot nib.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
When I was figuring out what dilution level I wanted for Noodler's Blue-Black, it feathered less but kept similar appearance at an 80:20 ink to water ratio. It didn't really start changing colors until it go to 60:40. Noodler's is really, really saturated.

Start with just a small amount of water and go from there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The way I test ink mixtures or dilutions goes pretty fast and uses a minimal amount of ink.

Take an empty vial, like the ones Goulet/Anderson send samples in. The technical name for these is “cryovials” if you want to buy them elsewhere.

Pipette a modest amount of ink to the vial. One or two millilitres is fine. Make a note of the volume.

Start with a small dilution, maybe four drops per ml (about 20%). Cap and shake. If you have a dip pen, dip it and write a little to test the dilution. If not, use a clean, dry fountain pen. Hold it carefully and don’t blot after filling.

If the results aren’t what you’re looking for, add more drops (noting how many) and test again. If you’re using a fountain pen, use the filling mechanism to mix the contents of the feed and vial well.

When you find a dilution you’re satisfied with, note it and make a fresh mixture to confirm. There are about 20 drops per ml, but measure your own eyedropper. If you started with 1 ml of ink and ended with 20 drops of water in it, that’s about a 1:1 dilution—slightly more diluted because some of the concentrated ink was spent on the paper.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have a full bottle. I'll experiment with it a little bit and try a 5:1 dilution and post the results here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Goulet’s photos make Nemosine Solar Storm 1859 look beautiful, but no one seems to have done a proper review of it yet and I’m not convinced it’s that different than some other oranges on the market.

I’m pretty sure I need Alpha Centauri, though. :swoon:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 24, 2017