Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
In my game, the final confrontation between Alex and January ended with Alex shooting January, with a great line. "You don't understand the difference between a bug and a feature." It seems most of you had January stun Alex? I prepared both the self-destruct and the null-wave, null-wave first, maybe that was the reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah there are multiple final quest sequences, and a couple of them are broken. Taking out Kaspar first is one of the big nonos even though its the obviously superior strategy based on what you are told.

Also I had both Alex and January alive and hostile to me at the end but like I said I am pretty sure my game broke again there.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 19, 2017

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Wait why can't you take out kasper first? That's what I usually do, unless I'm forgetting step.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
You cant do it and also save dahl without glitching the game

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GlyphGryph posted:

You definitely can.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah I did that just fine. But I snuck up and hacked the former rather than destroying it, maybe that's why?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

turn off the TV posted:

You definitely can.

Can confirm.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

GlyphGryph posted:

I did this and my game did not glitch.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah I did that just fine. But I snuck up and hacked the former rather than destroying it, maybe that's why?

Huh, I also used hacking, but I don't know why that would make a difference, since that entire questline just ends.

I'm guessing that the situation I'm the cargo bay plays a larger role.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Yeah I hacked kasper the first time as well as saving that dude. Maybe that has a part to play?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

You can definitely go for Kaspar first and then grab that guy Dahl who for spoiler reasons I will call 'D'.
The thing is that when everything suddenly goes zero G, sometimes it seems like D will take damage from colliding with objects (just like you can in zero G) and sometimes he doesn't. Once he hadn't taken much damage but the game still refused to acknowledge that I'd brought him into the medbay.

It's buggy, but it's not unfixably broken.

This also seems a lot easier to me than dealing with D in Oxygen Control or whatever, since I can just walk up behind him and stun him. But I had Kaspar turn up in space, so rushing to him and bypassing the enemies on the way was easy - presumably it might be more of a choice if Kaspar is actually located somewhere else.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

The thing is, I hacked kasper then stunned "d" before he tried to get alex. He was chilling in lifesupport.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I blew Kaspar up (in space) and didn't have any issues with Big D after that, encountered him in the arboretum. Might just be randomly buggy.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

lambskin posted:

The thing is, I hacked kasper then stunned "d" before he tried to get alex. He was chilling in lifesupport.

Same for me - didn't know where D actually was, so ended up touring the station looking for him.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

smallmouth posted:

I thought I was hot poo poo until I met the Nightmare. He's handing my rear end to me.

nightmare is weak as gently caress if you have leveled combat focus. to make it more fearsome they probably should've let it break normal powers in some way.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I have never ever gotten a situation where zero g D doesnt die, even if he hits no objects, often just letting him go kills him. Additionally, if you drag him to the medical bay before the zero g segment the game flips out and sends him off to a far part of the station after which you fail the quest

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 19, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

I'm guessing that the situation I'm the cargo bay plays a larger role.

What situation in the cargo bay?

West007
Apr 21, 2013

I was going to restore oxygen to trapped employees and stumbled upon D. Just stunned him and it was all over. I didn't go out of my way to save people but in the end I got the no harm achieve also the most emphatic way possible. I find this a little weird.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

West007 posted:

I was going to restore oxygen to trapped employees and stumbled upon D. Just stunned him and it was all over. I didn't go out of my way to save people but in the end I got the no harm achieve also the most emphatic way possible. I find this a little weird.

"We can't really know why it did anything it did."

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GlyphGryph posted:

What situation in the cargo bay?

I believe we have found the problem.

If the security officers in the cargo bay are still alive Dahl will disable the oxygen to that section from life support, requiring you to go reboot the system and either knock him unconscious or kill him.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I completely forgot Chris Avellone was writing for this game, that pretty much confirms my suspicions that he can only re-write Planescape: Torment over and over again...

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bholder posted:

I completely forgot Chris Avellone was writing for this game, that pretty much confirms my suspicions that he can only re-write Planescape: Torment over and over again...
Avellone only wrote secondary characters.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

I believe we have found the problem.

If the security officers in the cargo bay are still alive Dahl will disable the oxygen to that section from life support, requiring you to go reboot the system and either knock him unconscious or kill him.

Okay, no, you're misunderstannding. At that point in the game, you are given two options for resolving the cargo bay issue: You can do what you described, go after Dahl directly and reboot the systems, or take out Kaspar to unlock the doors, lock Dahl out of control of the facility, and let them out of where they were trapped. Since January tells you Dahl could kill them instantly if he wanted, I figured if you went after him directly that's exactly what he would do, so I picked the second option. If you do the second, Dahl confronts you in the arboretum instead and the gravity gives out shortly after.

This is where the bug occurs, for at least myself (more than once) and at least some others: You need to move Dahl from where he is floating to the medical bay in order to "save" him. But touching any sort of object at any speed, or even the mere act of simply letting him go after you grab him, are enough to kill him, so the task is functionally impossible on account of you having to take him through hallways and doorways. Even the one time I managed to do it without him dying, the game simply told me "mission failed" anyway.

I am genuinely wondering, for people whom this worked, what was different? Was he just way more durable for you, or did you do something special to move him other than "grab and go"? Did you have all the mobility chips on your suit - maybe that plays a role somehow?

I dunno. But it loving sucked that to get that far and then have to rewind all the way back to before the decision on how to save the cargo bay folks.

bewilderment posted:

You can definitely go for Kaspar first and then grab that guy Dahl who for spoiler reasons I will call 'D'.
The thing is that when everything suddenly goes zero G, sometimes it seems like D will take damage from colliding with objects (just like you can in zero G) and sometimes he doesn't. Once he hadn't taken much damage but the game still refused to acknowledge that I'd brought him into the medbay.

It's buggy, but it's not unfixably broken.

This also seems a lot easier to me than dealing with D in Oxygen Control or whatever, since I can just walk up behind him and stun him. But I had Kaspar turn up in space, so rushing to him and bypassing the enemies on the way was easy - presumably it might be more of a choice if Kaspar is actually located somewhere else.

This is literally how I dealt with D in Oxygen Control after reloading to earlier in the game. I walked up behind him and stunned him. You don't even have to drag him anywhere! He never even notices you show up or acknowledges you, he's standing at the control panel and you just "zzzzzp", done. It was hilariously anticlimactic.

Is that not how it worked for everyone else?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Finally got around to playing this, just wrapped up the mission to scan the coral and got launched into what Im assuming is the endgame and the game sorta lost its grip on me. Once you become a combat god and you learn the special combo of hit them with Psychoshock to seal any special powers then Blast With Shotgun the combat becomes really boring. Ive gotten to the point where Im just sprinting through every level wrapping up sidequests.

The start of the game was so incredibly strong though, and the zero-g portions were incredible. Wonderful game even if it tapers off a bit towards the end.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I got to him before he even started to shut down oxygen. I was rushing through the game at that point though so maybe time was a factor.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GlyphGryph posted:

Okay, no, you're misunderstannding. At that point in the game, you are given two options for resolving the cargo bay issue: You can do what you described, go after Dahl directly and reboot the systems, or take out Kaspar to unlock the doors, lock Dahl out of control of the facility, and let them out of where they were trapped. Since January tells you Dahl could kill them instantly if he wanted, I figured if you went after him directly that's exactly what he would do, so I picked the second option. If you do the second, Dahl confronts you in the arboretum instead and the gravity gives out shortly after.

You can disable Kaspar before Dahl makes it to life support.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

GlyphGryph posted:

This is literally how I dealt with D in Oxygen Control after reloading to earlier in the game. I walked up behind him and stunned him. You don't even have to drag him anywhere! He never even notices you show up or acknowledges you, he's standing at the control panel and you just "zzzzzp", done. It was hilariously anticlimactic.

Is that not how it worked for everyone else?

Yup. I still remember. Dropped a save right before dealing with D. I let him talk to his robobuddy, and walked up to tap him on his shoulder to have the CLIMACTIC SHOWDOWN OF IDEOLOGY. Instead he just slowly pulled out his pistol and took potshots at me pointblank. Rude.

Tried it 3 different ways to check if I just broke a trigger. Nope, just hilariously abrupt.

Salazar later called talking about clearing the scene, and how she lost some good men doing it. I was all like "what scene? I put a box in front of all those operator spawners and introduced every typon to my buddy, Mr. Shotgun."

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

What even happens if you do that?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

how do you even do that? ignore disabling your own bracelet?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Either this was so tedious that I've blocked it from memory, or this isn't something you have to be doing at all. I thought the quest to save Dahl involved stunning him down in the oxygen control room shortly after he shows up, then Igwe will take him to the special neuromod division surgery chair on his own. It happens off-screen and doesn't involve dragging Dahl's unconscious body anywhere. I also remember Dahl trying to break into Alex's safe room on another playthrough, so maybe that's where he ends up if you don't stun him the first time you have the chance? If you're trying to drag him into a medical bay somewhere after the Apex shows up, it probably means you've waited too long to try and complete that side quest. The Apex is basically the point of no return where you have to go for the ending once it shows up.

My intention was to go down and deal with Dahl in Life Support, but the elevator is in the Arboretum, and the game decided "oh you're in the arboretum, well you must be trying to go see Alex now" and warped Dahl to the Arboretum and started a countdown timer

Taking out Kaspar first seemed like such an obvious thing to do, especially given how close it was to where I was when the objective popped, but doing that and then trying to go through the Arboretum is apparently a bad idea

GlyphGryph posted:

I have never ever gotten a situation where zero g D doesnt die, even if he hits no objects, often just letting him go kills him. Additionally, if you drag him to the medical bay before the zero g segment the game flips out and sends him off to a far part of the station after which you fail the quest

This was my experience and it loving sucked but after 2 hours and physics-object-platforming his unconscious body just outside of the medbay (not inside) I finally got the quest complete after like 10 more tries of having him suddenly instantly go from full to 0 health upon being let go

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I was a little unclear in my post, but as I understand it Dahl and Kaspar actually spawn in the station before you go to the shuttle. You can incapacitate Dahl in life support before he triggers the ultimatum quest, which will just skip it. There's even some dialogue if you do this and get to him without him seeing you. I think that you can also find Kaspar, but that's trickier without a quest waypoint.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 19, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

GlyphGryph posted:

This is where the bug occurs, for at least myself (more than once) and at least some others: You need to move Dahl from where he is floating to the medical bay in order to "save" him. But touching any sort of object at any speed, or even the mere act of simply letting him go after you grab him, are enough to kill him, so the task is functionally impossible on account of you having to take him through hallways and doorways. Even the one time I managed to do it without him dying, the game simply told me "mission failed" anyway.

I am genuinely wondering, for people whom this worked, what was different? Was he just way more durable for you, or did you do something special to move him other than "grab and go"? Did you have all the mobility chips on your suit - maybe that plays a role somehow?
Once unconscious Dahl was effectively immortal for me. I failed to realise initially that I needed to move him, so I left him floating above the patio for quite a while then had to go back and pick him up and had some difficulty keeping hold of him - I let go several times, and once even catapulted him into the Apex such that I had to take a bunch of tentacle damage to get him back. He definitely hit a lot of the corridor before the medical bay because he would slip out of my grasp almost every time I turned. I didn't find the double-jump chip, but I had the fast-jet one, though I didn't use it to sprint because I was having so much trouble keeping hold of him.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Having played them close to one another, I found it funny how both Prey and MGSV are pretty open about their "twists". Both willingly reveal the true nature of the player's identity if you're paying attention. V basically hides it in plain sight.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
GoG has a fantastic summer sale going on so I picked up the game for 33 bucks today.

I love exploring and interacting with things. And holy moley there is just soo much stuff! Game looks beautiful and runs buttery smooth on my PC. This not-Bioshock is fantastic.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Prey thread, maybe you have some advice for me. I picked up a copy of Prey recently and I'm 6 hours into it and I'm digging it a lot, but I have a weird performance issue. My computer isn't like super state of the art or anything but with most settings somewhere between medium and high I can get an average of 60 FPS most of the time which is fine...but periodically, usually after I pick up something like a neuromod or when I transition between areas, the game suddenly dips down to like 30 FPS. The thing is, I can snap it out of it by going into my inventory and exiting, when when I come out of the inventory screen it's back to normal.

It's not a huge gamebreaking deal or anything and I get that my rig isn't top of the line, but clearly the game is capable of running at 60+ FPS most of the time, I just don't know what's causing it to sporadically choke until I slap it on the back.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Kai Tave posted:

Prey thread, maybe you have some advice for me. I picked up a copy of Prey recently and I'm 6 hours into it and I'm digging it a lot, but I have a weird performance issue. My computer isn't like super state of the art or anything but with most settings somewhere between medium and high I can get an average of 60 FPS most of the time which is fine...but periodically, usually after I pick up something like a neuromod or when I transition between areas, the game suddenly dips down to like 30 FPS. The thing is, I can snap it out of it by going into my inventory and exiting, when when I come out of the inventory screen it's back to normal.

It's not a huge gamebreaking deal or anything and I get that my rig isn't top of the line, but clearly the game is capable of running at 60+ FPS most of the time, I just don't know what's causing it to sporadically choke until I slap it on the back.

Turn off vsync?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

have you tried investing some points in the Repair skill? I think you only need Repair 1 to fix weird FPS dips

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Unormal posted:

Turn off vsync?

Tried it, and it didn't seem to do much, but I'll give it another shot. I also plan on updating my video drivers as well. I dunno, it's just kind of weird because it's not like the usual expected framerate dips where it might chug if you enter a particularly intense area with the settings turned too high, that I'd at least have an explanation for.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Kai Tave posted:

Tried it, and it didn't seem to do much, but I'll give it another shot. I also plan on updating my video drivers as well. I dunno, it's just kind of weird because it's not like the usual expected framerate dips where it might chug if you enter a particularly intense area with the settings turned too high, that I'd at least have an explanation for.

For what it's worth, I've had similar drops in frame rate despite having a 1080GTX, although IIRC they happen after tabbing out sometimes... And the fix is to tab back out and in again. Didn't really investigate further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jan posted:

For what it's worth, I've had similar drops in frame rate despite having a 1080GTX, although IIRC they happen after tabbing out sometimes... And the fix is to tab back out and in again. Didn't really investigate further.

I installed the latest Nvidia drivers and closed out of my browser before booting it back up and that seems to have more or less fixed it? I can't say what the culprit was but I guess I'll just make sure to close out of other applications from now on just to be sure, otherwise I guess that's that. Maybe it was the tabbing thing, I admit I do that a lot too.

Also while I'm sure it's nothing new to anyone in this thread, I have to confess that it took me an embarrassingly long time to put together why the station's fancy teleconference system is called Looking Glass.