Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

purple death ray posted:

The world would be a better place if people dropped the pretense of irony and just let ourselves like the things we like

An excellent example of this is the dude who just ate a week's probation for melting down and posting wall-o-text Game of Thrones spoilers all over the forums. Same dude had an almost-identical meltdown when Game of Thrones started last year, too. Homeslice fell off the irony deep end and is now legitimately enraged by the idea of people unironically enjoying a popular TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I mean, who hasn't eaten a probation for spoilering Game of Thrones?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kelp Me! posted:

An excellent example of this is the dude who just ate a week's probation for melting down and posting wall-o-text Game of Thrones spoilers all over the forums. Same dude had an almost-identical meltdown when Game of Thrones started last year, too. Homeslice fell off the irony deep end and is now legitimately enraged by the idea of people unironically enjoying a popular TV show.

Book spoilers are over. The show spoilers are often wrong. But spamming dumb poo poo all over the forums should earn you some time off at least. So :toot:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

syscall girl posted:

Book spoilers are over. The show spoilers are often wrong. But spamming dumb poo poo all over the forums should earn you some time off at least. So :toot:

Oh I didn't even read them it's more the "same wall of text in multiple totally unrelated threads" thing that's the funny meltdown

It's like that guy who kept emptyquoting that super-long Healthcare Bill explanation post as a weird protest against it :shrug:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kelp Me! posted:

It's not really a meltdown but an old prank, a la Snape Kills Dumbledore or buying spoiler avatars for the top posters in the mass effect thread right when 3 came out as well as banner ads.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That's actually what happened with that Seattle artist who made all those Hitler teapots and poo poo. It was hilarious.

wait what?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Banner ad spoilers are a proud SA tradition that I don't get on the app.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I'm still irony poisoned enough that I find the Snape Kills Dumbledore spoilers on the forums hilarious, but the poo poo where people were driving around to midnight releases and screaming the spoiler from cars to the lines outside was dumb

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RFC2324 posted:

wait what?

People just assumed his stuff was mockery of totalitarianism, and nobody bothered to ask him about his beliefs even though his work was all over legitimate galleries. Then somebody did ask, and turns out he's been a sincere admirer of Nazism and a Holocaust denier all along, smuggling Nazi symbols into public setting under a progressive / innocent guise.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/charles-krafft-and-the-conundrum-of-nazi-art

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

steinrokkan posted:

People just assumed his stuff was mockery of totalitarianism, and nobody bothered to ask him about his beliefs even though his work was all over legitimate galleries. Then somebody did ask, and turns out he's been a sincere admirer of Nazism and a Holocaust denier all along, smuggling Nazi symbols into public setting under a progressive / innocent guise.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/charles-krafft-and-the-conundrum-of-nazi-art

Well poo poo. I may have to figure out a way to get my av changed now. It's not nearly as funny if he really is a Nazi

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Support the dying gay forums with a $5 avatar change.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

purple death ray posted:

The world would be a better place if people dropped the pretense of irony and just let ourselves like the things we like

This, but ironically.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Well poo poo. I may have to figure out a way to get my av changed now. It's not nearly as funny if he really is a Nazi

Any funny tea pot will do.

?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Solice Kirsk posted:

Any funny tea pot will do.

?

Considering the joke that inspired the name is HTTP error 418, that one would be perfect. Gonna have to bookmark it. Thanks!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I'm still irony poisoned enough that I find the Snape Kills Dumbledore spoilers on the forums hilarious, but the poo poo where people were driving around to midnight releases and screaming the spoiler from cars to the lines outside was dumb

What gets me is who would even believe that at the time? The very idea of that spoiler seemed pretty outlandish pre-whatever book it happened in, what's there to get upset about? I would assume it was just some dumbass yelling crap "for the lolz."

Unless the "you bitch" person knew all along :tinfoil:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Couldn't find any circuitboardy ones for ya, but glad I could help!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

What gets me is who would even believe that at the time? The very idea of that spoiler seemed pretty outlandish pre-whatever book it happened in, what's there to get upset about? I would assume it was just some dumbass yelling crap "for the lolz."

Unless the "you bitch" person knew all along :tinfoil:

It was mostly preteen girls who were getting upset so presumably they just immediately believed it was true

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm not the one to give the history cause I wasn't a part of it but w-hat was a pretty good saga in and of itself. They would take advantage of any flaw in Second Life to utterly wreck the game in funny ways which admittedly wasn't hard because people take that poo poo really seriously. After they'd have their fun crashing the server with self spawning Mario sprites or w/e they'd explain to the SL team how they did it and how to prevent it so Second Life kind of bregrudgingly let them do their thing most of the time

Black hat on the streets white hat in the sheets

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

purple death ray posted:

What if you don't enjoy anything except being as insincere as possible

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Weldon Pemberton posted:

My girlfriend has forbidden me from telling people to kill themselves on the internet because some folks are susceptible to suggestion and what not so gently caress if i know friend.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Weldon Pemberton posted:

That's called psychopathy, friend

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

purple death ray posted:

But I like irony?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

But I like irony?

Eat more red meat and pork then.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Kelp Me! posted:

Oh I didn't even read them it's more the "same wall of text in multiple totally unrelated threads" thing that's the funny meltdown

It's like that guy who kept emptyquoting that super-long Healthcare Bill explanation post as a weird protest against it :shrug:

that was dad gay. so what, i don't think he was protesting anything so much as just shitposting for shitposting's sake

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kelp Me! posted:

spoilers <insert any GoT character> is going to die.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Shine stepped down voluntarily. He also chose to go from admin back to moderator previously, because we had an admin shortage and it got pretty overwhelming (IIRC, Shine can tell me if I'm misremembering). That was when Smythe, NYC_Tattoo, ExMarx, and I got made admins.

Sadly, Shine doesn't appear to have posted since mid January, so he's either left the forums, gone entirely silent (which seems unlikely), or something terrible has happened. I truly hope it's not the last one because he's always been one of my favorite mods and posters in general He had good advice for a lot of people (including me) in YLLS :(

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Garrand posted:

Sadly, Shine doesn't appear to have posted since mid January, so he's either left the forums, gone entirely silent (which seems unlikely), or something terrible has happened. I truly hope it's not the last one because he's always been one of my favorite mods and posters in general He had good advice for a lot of people (including me) in YLLS :(

He's still doing fine, a lot of people left SA this year.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Spanish Manlove posted:

He's still doing fine, a lot of people left SA this year.

Glad to hear that

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I hope he is working out.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ghostlight posted:

I hope he is working out.

Like the grinch's heart, he grew three sizes this year.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

No timeline could be darker than the timeline where Shine stops working out.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Speaking of people who left SA, what happened to Volume? I thought Spanish Manlove was supposed to be keeping tabs on him.

Did he make another suicide attempt with that circular saw?

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I believe volume = ride the gravitron. Still posting.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Unban Hogge Wild

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

plain blue jacket posted:

Unban Hogge Wild

Permaban Hogge Wild

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Let's compromise. Permaunban Hogge Wilde.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have a lot of pull on this site so I'm gonna say he will be unbanned if he licks my nutsack and tells me I'm better than him

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Aesop Poprock posted:

He's kind of an enemy of mine

go on

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

hogge wild has been banned tons of times, he'll rereg sooner or later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Unban him and stick him with a 100K probe.