Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"I'm going to trust you," you tell Debbie. "Please help me get out of here!"

"A wise choice!" Debbie sneers. She glances over her shoulder, then beckons you to follow her. "Be quiet," she warns. "There's no telling what Nick and Connor will do if they find out!"

You creep down a long dark hall behind Debbie. The tarantulas squirm wildly through her hair. You are glad Debbie, with her gross purple face, is really a friend.

Then you reach the end of the hall.

And there stand Nick and Connor. Saliva drips from their mouths as they smack their lips.

Then seven-foot-tall Connor lumbers toward you. His enormous arms reach for you.

You glance back at Debbie for help.

She's your friend - right?

quote:

Wrong!

"Tricked you again!" Debbie cries, cackling hideously. "I can't believe you fell for it! Now it's time to turn you into a monster!"

Connor is only inches from you now. You search frantically for a way out.

You tuck your head to your chest. Close your eyes and race back down the hallway - toward Debbie. You barrel right into her and knock her to the ground!

But Nick and Connor are only steps behind.

"Come back!" Debbie wails at you.

You run. Faster. Faster!

Down dark hallways. Footsteps pound behind you.

You have no idea how to get out of this house.

And then you see a door. A bright green door.

quote:

You pull open the green door. You find yourself back in the living room. This house is like a never-ending maze, you think.

You glance behind you. No sign of Debbie, Nick, or Connor. You check your watch. It is 10:50 P.M. - you have only a little over an hour before you turn into a monster.

You're trying to decide what to do next when you hear a strange noise.

Thump. Thump. Scrape.

The noise grows louder. And louder.

Thump. Thump. Scrape.

You slowly turn and find yourself staring at a mummy! A six-foot-tall mummy wrapped in old, yellowed bandages that are starting to unravel. Its eyeless, mouthless, bandaged face seems to stare back at you.

A sour smell invades your nostrils. The smell of decay. Of rotting flesh. Of death. You gag and hold your nose.

Then the mummy turns swiftly and disappears down a hallway. You don't want to follow it, but you need mummy bandages for the scavenger hunt. You have to follow it. You have no choice.

quote:

I can't believe there is a real mummy in this house, you think to yourself as you chase him down hallway after dark hallway.

The mummy turns a corner. You are about to turn, too, when you hear familiar voices behind a pink door. You peek through a crack in the door - and spot Nick, Connor, and Debbie. They seem to be talking about you!

The monsters obviously don't know you are there. Should you stop and listen? Maybe you will hear something that will help you escape.

Or is it better to follow the mummy?

To eavesdrop, turn to PAGE 65.

To follow the mummy, hurry to PAGE 94.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Human Bone

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Locked into the Bat House at the zoo.
Dragged underground by the spirits of the vengeful dead.
Permanently turned into a bat, along with all our friends.
Lifted the curse on ourselves, but accidentally cursed two of our friends.

Achievements
Batkin Robbins: Invent a new ice cream flavor.
Old Haunt: Induct a new member into the Horror Club.
You Have Chosen Poorly: Encounter a total of 25 bad endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Let's eavesdrop. I'm just fascinated by these weird monster kids.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Videogames have taught me that nothing bad ever comes from waiting

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Let's find out what they really think about us.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You listen to the monsters talk.

"It's almost midnight," Connor says.

"Soon our friend will join us," Nick adds.

"It's good to have some new blood," Debbie agrees.

You press your ear closer and continue to listen.

"I can't believe the Horror Club has been around for five hundred years," Nick says. "We've had so many members."

"Yeah," Debbie agrees. "It's too bad we lose so many of them. I don't understand why this house turns most of our new members to stone."

Nick starts to speak again. But you stop listening. Turn to stone? Can that be true? Forget the scavenger hunt, you say to yourself. Just find a way to leave!

But you can't. You can't move. Not a muscle.

You have become strangely stiff. Your feet feel as heavy as rocks.

Then you look down to see that your feet are rocks!

Too bad! It looks as if the only thing left for you to do is join a rock group!

THE END

And before you ask, no, the house turning Horror Club members to stone is never brought up outside of this one specific ending.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Human Bone

Bad Endings
:siren:Turned to stone by the house for no discernible reason.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Ignore Nick and go through the door.
  • Crawl through the hole.
  • Leave for the crypt immediately.
  • Go to Marcie's house.
  • Don't believe the monsters are real.
  • Go upstairs.
  • Check the dining room again.
  • Don't follow Debbie.
  • Follow the mummy.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Follow the mummy, I guess.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

These books perfectly capture the childlike nightmare-fear of the rules of reality just breaking down and terrible things happening for no reason. Like, the complete lack of internal consistency between the paths seems more like a feature than a bug in that sense.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Follow that mummy!

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
You'd expect the book to punish you by saying that you can't get the mummy bandage and you're now a monster, but nope! Turned to stone for no reason!

Follow the mummy, I guess. Hopefully the house won't turn us to stone.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Android Blues posted:

These books perfectly capture the childlike nightmare-fear of the rules of reality just breaking down and terrible things happening for no reason. Like, the complete lack of internal consistency between the paths seems more like a feature than a bug in that sense.

Its a feature of virtually all CYOAs I read as a kid. It can get downright weird in some of them.

My favorite was a scifi one I read when I was a kid where you crash landed on a planet with only your robot buddy to help. He turned into a shapeshifting alien, was actually part of a glorious robot revolution to overthrow humans, turned out to be your dad pretending to be a robot?, or was just your sidekick and a totally normal robot.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
This is still the bat book? The horror club kids have always been centuries-old monsters?

Anyway, Mummy.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You hurry down the hall after the mummy. There's not much time. You still need three more items for the scavenger hunt. There doesn't seem to be any other way to get out of Bat Wing Hall.

As you continue, the putrid smell grows stronger.

Then, at the end of the hall, you see a beautiful, gold mummy case. And leaning against the wall beside it is the mummy!

The mummy's head rests on the case. Strange snorting noises come from under its bandages. With a start, you realize that the noises are snores. The mummy is asleep!

You know that a piece of a mummy's bandage is on the list. But what's the best way to get one?

You spot some torn pieces of bandage inside the mummy case. Should you take a piece from there?

Or should you try to pull a strip off of the sleeping mummy?

Either way, you'd better hurry. It's less than an hour until midnight!

To take a piece of bandage from the case, turn to PAGE 117.

To tear a strip off the mummy, sneak over to PAGE 39.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Human Bone

Bad Endings
Turned to stone by the house for no discernible reason.

Achievements

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Audentes Fortuna iuvat!

Off the mummy!

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
We have no idea whether the bandages in the "mummy case" are actually from the mummy.

That means, of course, that taking the bandages from the case is the best possible course of action.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

You gotta take the bandage straight from the source. Tear a strip off the mummy.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

You'd think we wouldn't be so concerned with making sure we have some random scavenger hunt items now they are actively trying to turn us into a monster, right now? They're not going to go "Well we tried to trick you earlier but I guess you found the items so you can go".

Get the mummy bandage from case

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

We're all tied up, so the next vote takes it.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003
Tear a strip off the mummy.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You hold your breath and approach the sleeping mummy. What will happen if you wake it? You move carefully. Inch by inch. You reach your hand out toward the mummy.

SNORRRRF!

You jump back as the mummy lets out a disgusting snore. You pause. Then reach out again.

This time you manage to grab a small piece of bandage that is dangling from its left arm. Quickly, you pull. The bandage rips free, and the mummy didn't even move! What a sleeper!

You have two of the four items on the list, the human bone and the mummy's bandage. Now you only need a straw from a witch's broom and three hairs from a werewolf. But time is ticking.

I've searched the downstairs pretty well, you think to yourself. So the other items must be upstairs.

You spot a narrow, circular staircase behind the mummy case. Up, up, up. Around and around you go. You're getting really dizzy. And the air is ice cold up here. Your teeth begin to chatter. Suddenly the staircase ends in the middle of a musty corridor. You can turn left or right. Which way will you go?

If you are wearing a sweater or a sweatshirt, turn to the right on PAGE 29.

Otherwise, head to the left on PAGE 68.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Human Bone
:siren:Mummy Bandage:siren:

Bad Endings

Achievements

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's the middle of summer. Head left.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

WrightOfWay posted:

It's the middle of summer. Head left.

Please do be mindful of Southern Hemisphere goons. I am not one, but I am wearing a hoodie for some reason so go right.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
too hot for sweaters here

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I live in Texas, even when it is winter it's too hot for sweaters. Go right.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Left is right.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You turn to the left and jog down the narrow hallway. You listen for the three monsters. But all you hear are your own sneakers slapping against the floorboards as you run.

The end of the hall is dark - pitch-black. You wish you had a flashlight. You can't even see your own feet!

You slow down and place one hand on the wall to guide you. You wonder if you should turn back. Then you feel something - something rough and bristly.

Your fingers tighten around it. You squint in the blackness.

It's a rope. No, you realize suddenly, it's a rope ladder!

The ladder runs up the wall. You decide to climb it. You've got nothing to lose, you figure. And there might be a way out at the top!

You grab on tightly to the rope and begin to climb. The rope rubs roughly against your hands, making them burn, but you ignore the pain and keep climbing.

The ladder sways from side to side with each step. Your stomach lurches, but you continue on. You concentrate on not looking down.

Then you hit the final rung.

You carefully reach a hand up to the ceiling and feel a sliding door!

quote:

You slide open the door and lift yourself up into a moonlit room with a slanted ceiling. Old furniture and trunks of clothes are strewn everywhere.

Crouching, you make your way over to a little window. You peer out. And sigh. You are three stories up. You must be in the attic, you realize. There's no way you can jump out of the window. You'll never make it to the ground alive.

You shuffle back across the floor, trying to think of a plan. As you poke around in the junk, you spo a tall, clear box at the far end of the attic. There appears to be something black in it. And leaning against it is a broom.

Could that be the witch's broom - the one on the scavenger hunt list? You hurry over to investigate.

"Help me!" a shrill voice cries as you reach for the broom.

The voice is coming from the box! There's a woman trapped inside!

Her face is lined with deep wrinkles. Her long, knotted gray hair flows over a black dress.

"Wow!" You gasp.

The woman stares at you. Her green eyes seem to pierce through your flesh. "At last!" she wails. "I've been waiting two hundred years for you!"

quote:

"What?" you cry.

"I've been imprisoned in this magic box for two centuries," the witch goes on. "All this time I've waited for someone to set me free."

"Really?" you say doubtfully. This sounds a lot like those fairy tales your mom used to read to you when you were five years old.

"Please help me," the woman pleads.

You glance at your watch. And then over to the broom. "I'd like to help you," you say. "But I have to find a straw from a witch's broom really fast. Otherwise, I'll turn into a monster."

"Well, I'm a witch," the woman tells you. "And I have a broom. Help me, and I'll help you."

"If you're a witch, can't you say a spell to escape?" you ask.

"Don't you think I've already tried that?" the witch spits back. "It didn't work."

Your gaze travels from the witch to the broom and back to your watch. Only fifteen minutes until midnight. What should you do?

If you choose to help the witch, go to PAGE 95.

If you decide to leave her in the box and grab her broom, go to PAGE 44.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Human Bone
Mummy Bandage

Bad Endings

Achievements

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Help the witch, I'm sure this can't possibly go wrong.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Steal the broom. Nothing is more important to adventure game success than gaining inventory items.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Inquisition doesn't look kindly on witch helping.

Take the broom

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Take em that broom

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The place is a mess, Steal a broom to clean it up.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Hey, listen, I'm really sorry," you tell the witch. "But I've got to look out for myself now. I'll try to help you later."

Then you grab her broom.

"How dare you abandon me!" the witch shrieks. She starts to mumble a string of weird words. All you can make out is something that sounds like "Amikazoomy!"

At that instant, the handle of the broom glows bright blue in your hand. And then the broom begins to move!

You try to pull away. But you can't!

Your hand is stuck to the broom!

"Hey!" you yell. But it's too late. The broom lifts you up. Higher and higher. You wrap your arms and legs around it and hold on for your life. Then the broom starts to fly!

"Stop!" you yell. You can hear the witch cackling in her box.

You zoom straight to the ceiling. Swerve to the left. Then head for the little window. Faster. Faster!

You crash through the glass!

The icy night air stings your face as you zoom in circles through the sky. You stare down at Bat Wing Hall. Nick, Debbie, and Connor stand on the front lawn, pointing up at you.

You made it out! Too bad now you'll never make it [i[down[/i] to the ground.

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Human Bone
Mummy Bandage

Bad Endings
:siren:Sent on an endless broom ride by a pissed-off witch.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Ignore Nick and go through the door.
  • Crawl through the hole.
  • Leave for the crypt immediately.
  • Go to Marcie's house.
  • Don't believe the monsters are real.
  • Go upstairs.
  • Check the dining room again.
  • Don't follow Debbie.
  • Take a bandage from the case.
  • Go right at the fork.
  • Help the witch.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Let's help her out this time.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

I have binged this thread and I regret nothing. I had one of these books as a kid-- it had the Creature from the Black Lagoon on the cover, or at least a lawyer-friendly version thereof.

The idea of a sassy witch partner just tickles me, so let's partner up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I just realized the witch might know Shiny Chariot.

She might get us Shiny Chariot's autograph.

Help her.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Actually help the witch.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Okay," you tell the witch. "I'll try to help you."

"You won't regret it," she promises. "Hurry around to the back of the box."

You do as she says. On the back of the clear box are two hand prints. "Place your hands on the prints," the witch instructs. Once again, you follow her request.

"Now repeat after me: Arikarem. Amikaroo."

You chant the magic words.

"Now clap your hands," she says. You clap.

Nothing happens. You clap again. Still nothing.

"What's going on?" you demand impatiently.

"I must have given you the wrong spell," she admits. "I'm a little rusty with my magic after all these years. Now what were those words?"

"Hurry!" you cry. It's ten minutes until midnight! You try to pull your hands away from the box. But they are stuck - as if they were glued! "Hurry," you urge her again.

"I've got it!" she announces. "Say the words: Spmubesoog. Spmubesoog."

You notice the witch has her fingers crossed - not a good sign! You repeat the magic words.

quote:

ZZZAAANNNGGG! With a loud vibrating noise, the glass box vanishes! The witch stands before you. The magic worked!

"Thank you. Oh, thank you," the witch gushes.

"No problem," you say. But time is running-"

"You're right," the witch says. "Time's running out." She thrusts her broom into your hands. "Be careful how you remove the straw," she warns.

"Excellent!" you cry. "Now all I have to do is pluck three hairs from a werewolf!"

"Easy!" the witch scoffs. "I know where to find a werewolf."

"You do?" you ask incredulously.

"Sure," the witch says. "The werewolf is in the basement. Or at least he was two hundred years ago. You can take the elevator Professor Krupnik installed." She proudly points to a small elevator in the corner of the attic. Then she disappears in a puff of bright pink smoke.

You hurry to the elevator. The door magically opens. Quickly, you step inside. But the broom gets stuck in the opening!

You frantically try to pull out a straw, but none will come out. You could break one off, you think. But then you remember the witch's warning.

If you take a chance and break off a straw, turn to PAGE 21.

Try to squeeze the broom into the elevator? Then turn to PAGE 115.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Human Bone
Mummy Bandage
:siren:Witch's Broom:siren:

Bad Endings
Sent on an endless broom ride by a pissed-off witch.

Achievements

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

let's get cozy. the broom might come in handy for sweeping the pupper out of our way later

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

What's the worst that can happen? Break off a piece

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Take the broom with us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

We're not seeking out a basement-dwelling werewolf without a weapon. Broom comes with us.