Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Florida is 3 essays in the morning and 100 MC in the afternoon. Essays are standard issue spotters and cover multiple facets of law. You get points for right answers, but nothing reduced for incorrect things. The essays and MC are giving equal weighting to determine your final score for florida. It is entirely possible to "fail" on the essays and still pass because of the MC and vise versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Florida is 3 essays in the morning and 100 MC in the afternoon. Essays are standard issue spotters and cover multiple facets of law. You get points for right answers, but nothing reduced for incorrect things. The essays and MC are giving equal weighting to determine your final score for florida. It is entirely possible to "fail" on the essays and still pass because of the MC and vise versa.

Is that the entire Florida bar exam?

Oh it's two days of it

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Tennessee here. You only find out anything about your bar score if you failed, but I think it's the same here. Just make sure to use consistent terminology within your answer. Concepts are more important than specific magic words except for things that are very specific (like piercing the corporate veil or something, maybe).

What I remember most about bar prep wasn't memorizing specific things, it was getting concepts down where I wouldn't be caught flat footed on anything and then writing an answer fast enough so I didn't run out of time or have to rush writing the answer for a later question. It was 13 questions I think in 6 hrs, so I just drilled myself to get where I could read the question and write a complete answer in 20 minutes. I am not at all hot poo poo and I never had any real doubt that I passed when I woke up the next day with a clear head. To this day I believe I had good enough essays on at least 12 of the 13 questions to amount to it being correct. 13 of 13 if I did a good enough job bullshitting my way through that child support question I had not idea on because I had made a strategic decision to not study that topic hard.

Jesus the Dark Lord and I took the TN bar at the same time. 2-day exam. Day 1 is MBE, day 2 is 12 essay questions over 2 3-hour sessions.

The first essay question was a giant multipart tort question that took me about 45 minutes to finish, and made me worry that I was going to run out of time. I actually rushed the last morning question to make sure that I finished early enough to get a longer lunch. There was also a Tennessee-specific question about how to appeal a court decision that I knew absolutely nothing about, so that one was hot garbage.

I passed.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

TheMadMilkman posted:

Jesus the Dark Lord and I took the TN bar at the same time. 2-day exam. Day 1 is MBE, day 2 is 12 essay questions over 2 3-hour sessions.

The first essay question was a giant multipart tort question that took me about 45 minutes to finish, and made me worry that I was going to run out of time. I actually rushed the last morning question to make sure that I finished early enough to get a longer lunch. There was also a Tennessee-specific question about how to appeal a court decision that I knew absolutely nothing about, so that one was hot garbage.

I passed.

Fun anecdote based on your story.

I have a friend who's taking the South Dakota Bar that is EXACTLY the same as the UBE except for the addition of an Indian law question on every essay section, which, as far as he can tell, you don't even need to independently pass in order to pass the test in general.

Iowa is boring old UBE, which is good for me I guess, but requires I learn a bunch of crap law that isn't relevant to Iowa in the least. Especially in torts.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

It should also be noted that the Texas bar essays only have 3 or so curveballs that they deploy occasionally and they're all easy:

1) Bankruptcy. A bunch of last year's takers got butthurt because of a bankruptcy tie-in question. You had to know that an automatic stay is a thing that exists.
2) Illegal for a for-profit corporation to both slaughter cattle and process it, so that's an ultra vires activity by definition. It's an obscure rule but it's in the TBOC.
3) does this court have personal jurisdiction y/n

So Texas might be more amenable to memorizing specific answers than other states.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I was in a restroom where Jeff Sessions walked in but did not have the presence of mind to ask for his birth gender.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

yronic heroism posted:

I was in a restroom where Jeff Sessions walked in but did not have the presence of mind to ask for his birth gender.

Shame.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Here's the biggest thing I learned being a lawyer versus being a law student.

They teach law students to look for the nebulous factors that can be determinative in a case.

Lawyers go "How can this poo poo gently caress up and how can I prevent myself from looking stupid?"

I never took one single family law class. Not one. And that's what I do for a living. loving hell.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

CaptainScraps posted:

Here's the biggest thing I learned being a lawyer versus being a law student.

They teach law students to look for the nebulous factors that can be determinative in a case.

Lawyers go "How can this poo poo gently caress up and how can I prevent myself from looking stupid?"

I never took one single family law class. Not one. And that's what I do for a living. loving hell.

In law school I was taught how to give the answer someone wanted me to give.

In the practice of law, I learned I had to find and present whatever information it would take to accomplish my goal.

There was definitely some carryover in terms of element analysis, case law, but one is "run this rat maze" and the other is "Saving Private Ryan Normandy Beach Scene."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EwokEntourage posted:

Is that the entire Florida bar exam?

Oh it's two days of it

Day two is MBE.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I never took the bar, yet my staff call me attorney.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Tipps posted:

I live in a nice new apartment building because the previous one burned to the ground. It's much bigger and better equipped than my old lovely Vancouver studio (in-suite laundry! Dishwasher! A full-size indoor storage room!). It's also government owned and subsidized and rent is deducted form my salary so I don't need to deal with a lovely landlord. Serfdom has its perks.

And at the end of the month, rent is 10$/mo cheaper than what I was paying in Vancouver. :canada:

The only downside is that it's a 25 minute walk to the office. This is fine during the summer when it's around 10C out. But in the -60C winters, it's a bit rough. Luckily the barge with the car I bought earlier this year is arriving this week after waiting 3 months. So this upcoming winter will be more tolerable.

PPSC or legal aid?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

nm posted:

Shame.

Some of my friends let me know I should have pissed on his leg, but I guess I'm too much of an incrementalist.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

terrorist ambulance posted:

PPSC or legal aid?

Territorial government. I wouldn't touch PPSC up here with a 10 foot pole. They are amazing people, but with the types of cases they get here on a regular basis, I'm surprised they don't just spend every waking hour of their day screaming in horror.

Example: the sexual assault case where the guy violently fisted a random passed out woman in the rear end so hard that he tore through it into her vagina and she nearly bled to death.

(at para 4 :negative: )

Tipps fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 18, 2017

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The north rules and everyone should try it

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
"it" being the north, and not assaultive anal fisting

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
See also: violent assault by multiple people involving a youth raping the victim with a broken broomstick - http://canlii.ca/t/fpw12

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

The above cases are good examples of why I work in finance law.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
To be fair, only like half the criminal cases in NWT/Nunavut are like that. The rest are standard bootlegging, drug trafficking, or decades-old sexual assault cases with grabby priests in old residential schools.

But then you get the case where a young offender, bored one summer night, sees a bottle of booze through the window of a ground floor apartment. So naturally he breaks in to steal it, finds a woman sleeping in bed with her infant child, and decides "when in Rome" and rapes her at snow-knife/machete-point while the infant is a foot away in the same bed.

My humdrum practice of constitutional and labour/employment law pales in comparison to the types of cases prosecutors get up here.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

TheMadMilkman posted:

I passed.

There were two questions from my home county and they were both factually impossible because the examiners just filled in the blanks with Tennessee city names I guess. One was a dram shop case in the downtown Sevierville (which is/was a dry city) and the other was some hotel in Gatlinburg doing excavation and the damaged parties were not remotely adjacent. I mentioned it in my answers although I doubt the grader cared.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Job search update: I looked up one of the firms I have an interview with and found someone who went to the same school as me and graduated in 2016, and I sent a quick email (as one does?) trying to find something in common and also asking for any interview tips. In hindsight this email was a little too terse and poorly worded, because today I got an email from Career services at the school basically telling me to stop being an creepy anti-semitic pervert and harrassing the alumni.

This is the first cold email I've ever sent.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
You have to post the email.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Post the email you got from career services too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Throatwarbler posted:

Job search update: I looked up one of the firms I have an interview with and found someone who went to the same school as me and graduated in 2016, and I sent a quick email (as one does?) trying to find something in common and also asking for any interview tips. In hindsight this email was a little too terse and poorly worded, because today I got an email from Career services at the school basically telling me to stop being an creepy anti-semitic pervert and harrassing the alumni.

This is the first cold email I've ever sent.

In St Louis folks. WTF? I would have thought anti-Semite might be a "pro" there.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's not in St. Louis and the recipient is Jewish.

The email was literally just 3 sentences, so it's impressive that I was able to convey so much in so few words. Basically I added a P.S. at the end that was something to the effect of "Hey, are you Jewish, because <mildly interesting anecdote that may establish a connection but more importantly would explain why I am even asking>?", but upon revision I decided it was too verbose and deleted the 2nd part, so now it just reads like "Hey, are you Jewish? :hitler: :wiggle:".

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Why the gently caress would you ever ask anyone if they were Jewish in a professional context?

Even in 1970s Detroit, they didn't ask my dad if he was Jewish despite having a mildly Jewish surname, so he just got hired by a Jewish law firm and rejected by all the gentile ones. Joke was on everyone because he was a lapsed Catholic instead. They found out when he shows up to work on Yom Kippur or Rosh Hashanah or something and wanted him to join all the clubs they couldn't get into. The clubs rejected him because he had a kind of jewish name and worked for the jewish lawfirm.
This was only 30 something years ago, so maybe there is a reason lawyers are a little weird about being cold asked if they're jewish.

If this was a "we're in the same culture/religion" thing, you're supposed to wink wink, nudge nudge that poo poo.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not white and I have no problem when white people in western countries ask me about my particular flavor of not-whiteness. None of my other not-white friends have ever found this to be an issue. Here in the UAE it's just regular small talk, I've chatted with 3 or 4 different Sri Lankans in the last 2 weeks and the first thing I always ask is "Singhalese or Tamil" although it's usually not hard to tell anyway and everyone is happy to talk about their culture and educate each other.

I thought I was being overly cautious by asking first, because I obvoiously already knew the answer but wanted to elminitate the possibility that this was a person with a very Jewish last name who also lists Hebrew in their Linkedin profile but who turns out isn't Jewish?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

I thought I was being overly cautious by asking first, because I obvoiously already knew the answer but wanted to elminitate the possibility that this was a person with a very Jewish last name who also lists Hebrew in their Linkedin profile but who turns out isn't Jewish?
Again, why does it matter? I literally cannot fathom why it matters that some junior at some law firm is jewish, catholic, muslim, or worships loving baal.

I'm pretty sure the only people in the US who ask people if they're jewish wear white hoods or swastikas.

nm fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 19, 2017

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I spent a lot of time replacing (i) and (ii) with (a) and (b) today, and this time was billed at an exorbitant rate. I got home at 9 PM. Law school.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

Again, why does it matter? I literally cannot fathom why it matters that some junior at some law firm is jewish, catholic, muslim, or worships loving baal.

I'm pretty sure the only people in the US who ask people if they're jewish wear white hoods or swastikas.

I was trying to find something neat or fun outside of "you work here" to talk about in an effort to be personable. But yes I agree it came off like it "mattered" to me personally whether the other person was Jewish or not.

It's not quite as absurd as that because my comment wasn't actually "Are you Jewish?", but "Are you a member of <a fairly specific Jewish community>", but yeah I get it, never mention this ever again to anyone.

I was probably never going to get the job anyway. :sun:

EDIT: Should I send another email apologizing and explaining that I'm not a literal Nazi?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Post the email, post the email, post the email *bangs tin cup on table along with chant*

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Look, throat guy - you're trying to thread the needle of American race and religion. It's tough, and you weren't raised here. We get it. If you post the emails, we can help guide you with what to do next.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Post the email, post the email, post the email *bangs tin cup on table along with chant*

*joins*

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol at the vaguely Arab brown dude in the UAE writing a lawyer out of nowhere and feeling out if he's a Jew

Did you ask it like that? "Just curious: are you a Jew? Because your name is pretty jewy."

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
It's okay man, I've done the same thing.

Except that I am a Jew with a very Jewy name and I only ask people that I know are definitely Jewish and know what shul they go to.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Basically never drop a hard J.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: Hey, are you Jewish?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol at the vaguely Arab brown dude in the UAE writing a lawyer out of nowhere and feeling out if he's a Jew

Did you ask it like that? "Just curious: are you a Jew? Because your name is pretty jewy."

Maybe he can try to say English isn't his first language and that bla bla. I do think he definitely shouldn't leave his family vacation to try to get a job because hoo boy

throat, you should definitely follow up and say that while you're not anti semitic you belong to an online group that is anti Zionist and maybe you can chat about that over coffee

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Great, now Career Services has to update the PowerPoint for 1Ls.

"NO ANTI-SEMITISM"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

*chant intensifies; the guards join in*