Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So, the olympics,

https://twitter.com/StephenWadeAP/s...-144747686.html

The Rio Olympics continue to be an example of why more and more cities are wary of hosting the games.

Rio 2016 has essentially become a financial disaster, with the games costing $13 billion in a mix of private and public money, according to a June Associated Press report.

Much of the Olympic infrastructure is abandoned or underused, including the $700 million athletes village that was supposed to be turned into luxury condos once the games were over.

Stephen Wade of the Associated Press recently reported via Twitter that the athletes village was "shuttered" and that only 7% of the condos had been sold.

Other areas aren't in much better shape. The Olympic Park has staged some events but is largely underused and wasn't sold because there was only one bidder, according to the AP report. Wade reported that the Olympic Park was also basically vacant.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/rios-700-million-athletes-village-144747686.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Everyone pretty much knew that would happen. It's corrupt as gently caress with maybe a handful of people making huge profits.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Jesus, those sheep are like furry ninjas

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

haha awesome. here's it with audio, originally from liveleak.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNGzmjgLox4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Mu Zeta posted:

Everyone pretty much knew that would happen. It's corrupt as gently caress with maybe a handful of people making huge profits.

The obvious, logical way forwards is to just assign a permanent summer venue and winter venue that the games default to unless some other country really wants to host them instead and applies to do so.

Also, execute every member of the IOC.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

That is one determined bird

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/WWNy6Ng.gifv

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Well that looked painful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjePrRmeFz0

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Fireworks may have startled Justine Damond's killer, US police officer Mohamed Noor

quote:

The mayor ... urged Officer Noor to speak to the BCA but conceded he could not be compelled to do so.

"We can't force the officer to make a statement but I wish that he would," she said.

The schadenfreude is on the entire non-Police world that you can't make a police officer, who shot an unarmed person because they were possibly startled by fireworks, make a statement about it.

alternate take: Poor Piggles, thought of fireworks and killed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Memento posted:

Fireworks may have startled Justine Damond's killer, US police officer Mohamed Noor

The schadenfreude is on the entire non-Police world that you can't make a police officer, who shot an unarmed person because they were possibly startled by fireworks, make a statement about it.

alternate take: Poor Piggles, thought of fireworks and killed.

Can't make a civilian do that either. You got the right to remain silent.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Lime Tonics posted:

So, the olympics,

The Rio Olympics continue to be an example of why more and more cities are wary of hosting the games.

Rio 2016 has essentially become a financial disaster, with the games costing $13 billion in a mix of private and public money, according to a June Associated Press report.

Much of the Olympic infrastructure is abandoned or underused, including the $700 million athletes village that was supposed to be turned into luxury condos once the games were over.

Stephen Wade of the Associated Press recently reported via Twitter that the athletes village was "shuttered" and that only 7% of the condos had been sold.

Other areas aren't in much better shape. The Olympic Park has staged some events but is largely underused and wasn't sold because there was only one bidder, according to the AP report. Wade reported that the Olympic Park was also basically vacant.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/rios-700-million-athletes-village-144747686.html

The schadenfreude is taking the Olympics to third-world shitholes. Not only IOC is a corrupt organization but the Brazilian government manages to be a hundred times more. It's not gonna be the same story in Tokyo, let's be honest.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Negrostrike posted:

The schadenfreude is taking the Olympics to third-world shitholes. Not only IOC is a corrupt organization but the Brazilian government manages to be a hundred times more. It's not gonna be the same story in Tokyo, let's be honest.

I bet there are a lot of cities in America that would want to keep the Olympics away because the creation of a few thousand apartments would destroy their precious housing bubbles.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Ahh, Nuts!

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
More cop schadenfreude: any cases involving these three chucklefucks just got a whole lot harder for the prosecution

https://twitter.com/justin_fenton/status/887504546074939393

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

when youre jackin it and your internet cuts off...

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inco posted:

More cop schadenfreude: any cases involving these three chucklefucks just got a whole lot harder for the prosecution

https://twitter.com/justin_fenton/status/887504546074939393

The Wire reboot lookin good

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Grem posted:

I bet there are a lot of cities in America that would want to keep the Olympics away because the creation of a few thousand apartments would destroy their precious housing bubbles.

lol not in Vancouver

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dave Grool posted:

The Wire reboot lookin good

Maybe some kids are gonna throw paint on him!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can't make a civilian do that either. You got the right to remain silent.

Police should be held to a higher standard. And if a civilian shot someone and was refusing to talk, they'd be in remand without bail, so if you're going to apply the same logic to police, that's where this officer should be.

edit: the problem with that video up there showing the cop planting drugs is that now they know that the body cameras capture 30 seconds before activation.

Memento has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Jul 19, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I absolutely agree.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Memento posted:

Police should be held to a higher standard. And if a civilian shot someone and was refusing to talk, they'd be in remand without bail, so if you're going to apply the same logic to police, that's where this officer should be.

edit: the problem with that video up there showing the cop planting drugs is that now they know that the body cameras capture 30 seconds before activation.

The real problem is that police officers have control over when the body cam is and isn't recording.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

God drat this bird has some serious rodeo skills.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Honestly I'm kind of surprised the Athlete Village in Rio hasn't turned into high rise favelas of some sort.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Honestly I'm kind of surprised the Athlete Village in Rio hasn't turned into high rise favelas of some sort.

800 million people living in the ruin of the old world and the mega structures of the new one. Mega blocks. Mega highways. Mega City One. Convulsing. Choking. Breaking under its own weight. Citizens in fear of the street. The gun. The gang. Only one thing fighting for order in the chaos: the men and women of the Hall of Justice. Juries. Executioners. Judges.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chichevache posted:

800 million people living in the ruin of the old world and the mega structures of the new one. Mega blocks. Mega highways. Mega City One. Convulsing. Choking. Breaking under its own weight. Citizens in fear of the street. The gun. The gang. Only one thing fighting for order in the chaos: the men and women of the Hall of Justice. Juries. Executioners. Judges.

Strong avatar post combo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

God drat this bird has some serious rodeo skills.

The muscles in their talons can lock automatically (which is handy when you sleep in a tree) which is what I suspect happened here. It tried to knock the goat off the cliff to kill it but missed and landed in front of it then got locked up when the goat went to butt it.
Which is even funnier if you imagine the goat and the eagle both screaming in confusion and terror as they rocket down the side of a mountain. :v:

Here's how it was supposed to happen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apX0WlWNGBw

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

The real problem is that police officers have control over when the body cam is and isn't recording.

I had a thing typed up about that and decided that I didn't want some pedant jumping down my throat about battery life or extra weight needing to be carried. But you're absolutely right, they should be recording from clock on to clock off and the officers shouldn't have access to their switches.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Negrostrike posted:

The olympics are throwing off the smut convention schedule. Also, Akira might happen.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

This made me laugh until I cried! Pro loving click there!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q16X_FPBJ0

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Amazon AI and MS Tay should join up to form a band or something.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Memento posted:

I had a thing typed up about that and decided that I didn't want some pedant jumping down my throat about battery life or extra weight needing to be carried. But you're absolutely right, they should be recording from clock on to clock off and the officers shouldn't have access to their switches.

While I get your point, I'd hate to be in a job where every single thing I did and said throughout my working day were recorded and stored for years.

Not just every time I took a dump and a piss, but every moan, bitch and joke I shared with anyone.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

spog posted:

While I get your point, I'd hate to be in a job where every single thing I did and said throughout my working day were recorded and stored for years.

So don't be a cop, it's not for everybody

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Does your job involve shooting unarmed women in their pyjamas? If not, then you really don't need to worry about it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

spog posted:

Not just every time I took a dump and a piss, but every moan, bitch and joke I shared with anyone.

We've recently had 100 cameras installed all over the facility where I work. I can't even scratch my nuts or pull my underwear out my rear end crack without playing Metal loving Gear Solid trying to find a blind spot. But hey thefts are down!

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Ak Gara posted:

We've recently had 100 cameras installed all over the facility where I work. I can't even scratch my nuts or pull my underwear out my rear end crack without playing Metal loving Gear Solid trying to find a blind spot. But hey thefts are down!

This is completely unreasonable, unless other workers on your jobsite have been gunning down unarmed people

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/C2Mhud/status/887222450500640768

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Sagebrush posted:

The obvious, logical way forwards is to just assign a permanent summer venue and winter venue that the games default to unless some other country really wants to host them instead and applies to do so.

Also, execute every member of the IOC.

That was a punishment goons put forward for bailing out Greece.