Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
were I to undergo the sequence of events as described in the song "I am my own grandpa" while living in Pennsylvania would my new status as my father's father pre-empt my previous status as my father's son with regard to the state's filial responsibility statutes and would he then be responsible for my care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Specifically, if you don't mean to sound authoritative across the breadth of experience, perhaps avoid declaring what should "definitely" be done or avoided if one is "legitimately" attempting to treat their disease. Or you might find simple joy in saying "I hadn't thought of that situation, maybe it's not as black and white as I believed".

If I say, "Don't roll your own crypto", and someone chimes in that their neighbor is a retired senior NSA network security contractor who walked them through building a bespoke, ground-up crypto solution for their e-commerce business, I will congratulate them for finding something that works for them, but I am not going to stop thinking that "don't roll your own crypto" is good advice.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dead Reckoning posted:

If I say, "Don't roll your own crypto", and someone chimes in that their neighbor is a retired senior NSA network security contractor who walked them through building a bespoke, ground-up crypto solution for their e-commerce business, I will congratulate them for finding something that works for them, but I am not going to stop thinking that "don't roll your own crypto" is good advice.

Ya fuckin retard tellin people not to treat their medical conditions with stuff sold by drug dealers maybe watch your tone and check your privilege

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

were I to undergo the sequence of events as described in the song "I am my own grandpa" while living in Pennsylvania would my new status as my father's father pre-empt my previous status as my father's son with regard to the state's filial responsibility statutes and would he then be responsible for my care

Courts would go with your first status imho

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

if I'm gay and I believe it is a choice but my parents believe i was born gay can I sue them for the cost of my conversion therapy

The answer is the same as the answer to the question: "do I live in the bible belt?"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I don't understand this thread anymore, time to retire

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Except without the sex because goons.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Killing time in between the next "hypothetical" post and celebrating Euphronius's first posts in the thread since November.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

nm posted:

Sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Except without the sex because goons.

We're actually reproducing at an alarming rate

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
And if you separate yourself from the joinder to the corporate form of the United States there are basically two goons for every one birth.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Hypothetical:

What kind of legal challenge could my sister bring for custody of my child assuming all grandparents have passed and our will stipulates that a close family friend receives custody?

Our will trumps any familial ties, correct?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Hypothetical: my child drowns in the tub while I'm playing hearthstone: heroes of Warcraft digital collectible card game. Can I sue my opponent for intentional infliction of emotional distress if he knew I would get distracted by his sick plays and that the death of my child was foreseeable and caused me physical discomfort?

Hypothetically.

Whenever I think extreme and outrageous, I think hearthstone.

I don't even know what hearthstone is other than some sort of CCG I think

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

areyoucontagious posted:

Hypothetical:

What kind of legal challenge could my sister bring for custody of my child assuming all grandparents have passed and our will stipulates that a close family friend receives custody?

Depends on the state for standing to petition

She could always call local child services to start a process where she is made parent because you suck

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

areyoucontagious posted:

Hypothetical:

Pretty sure your children aren't property that you can will along, but the state would probably respect the family's wishes. Basically it would be a standard custody battle where they would weigh what the best option was for the children taking into account a number of factors including income, criminal history, where the children want to live, etc.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Every state that I know of goes by "best interest of the child "
A will means 0.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

Every state that I know of goes by "best interest of the child "
A will means 0.

Back for a day and dishing out the hard truths!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

👍

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What if your will just says "My sister is a horrible human being that used to torture stray cats, voted for Trump and once gave Joe Arpaio road head"?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

KillHour posted:

What if your will just says "My sister is a horrible human being that used to torture stray cats, voted for Trump and once gave Joe Arpaio road head"?

Depends on the judge :shrug:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

An elf knower returns to the legal thread at the same time an elf sexer returns to the lawyer thread.
What does this portend?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bring me your hypos

I am not afraid

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

joat mon posted:

An elf knower returns to the legal thread at the same time an elf sexer returns to the lawyer thread.
What does this portend?

Which one of you is friends with/slept with Jeff Sessions!?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

KillHour posted:

Which one of you is friends with/slept with Jeff Sessions!?

Actus rhesus, but uh, that's the wrong kind of elf.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

We're actually reproducing at an alarming rate

Somebody def had sex with my wife 11 months ago.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I know that you are responsible if your dog bites someone, but I decided to look it up (for Florida), and have a question. When talking about liability for dog bites, it has this, which I don't get;

However, the owner is not liable, except as to a person under the age of 6, or unless the damages are proximately caused by a negligent act or omission of the owner, if at the time of any such injury the owner had displayed in a prominent place on his or her premises a sign easily readable including the words “Bad Dog.”

So, even if my dog is locked up, and I have a 'Guard Dog' sign, if a kid under 6 breaks into my home it's potentially tough poo poo for me if he gets bitten?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Welcome to the world of strict liability. Florida is better than some states.

In the case of the 6 year old trespasser there's a bunch of poo poo to untangle, but the long and short of it is yes, you will be held liable if your dog even despite your best efforts bites a child under 6.

Also your guard dog sign is insufficient. The law says BAD DOG must be on the sign. Also you cannot be negligent about your dog, especially if it is a known "bad dog" otherwise you'll still be held liable. Basically, if you have a violent dog, you're going to be responsible for injuries it causes.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
"Bad dog" hahaha

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

"Bad dog" hahaha

I pointed out that law to my friend and now she has a shirt on order for chihuahua/terrier mix that says BAD DOG because it's hilarious.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

If I was fishing (possibly illegally) on State Property and my neighbor's unleashed pitbull ran into the water and grabbed my lure and incurred veterinary bills for hook removal, what would my liability be?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Your neighbor is responsible for his animal when it forseeably trespasses, so he's likely liable to you for a new fishhook and line.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So I know virtually all SovCit claims/defenses are insane and wrong, but are there any that have panned out for the defendants? Or where their defense was wrong, but they got off anyway?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

If I was fishing (possibly illegally) on State Property and my neighbor's unleashed pitbull ran into the water and grabbed my lure and incurred veterinary bills for hook removal, what would my liability be?

Zero

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It happens often enough which bolsters their idiot movements. See Bundy trial for Maulher occupation.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Did those rancher protesters basically make a sovcit argument, and that worked out (eventually) in sort of their favor didn't it?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It worked because juror #4 was sympathetic and got the guy that was trying to vote to convict kicked off the jury. Bundy's lawyer and others got yelled at by the judge routinely to knock off the horseshit.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

xxEightxx posted:

Did those rancher protesters basically make a sovcit argument, and that worked out (eventually) in sort of their favor didn't it?

No. They had real attorneys that used and argued the real law and won because the feds couldn't prove all the elements of the crimes beyond a reasonable doubt. Prosecutorial hubris might have had something to do with it, too.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mercenarynuker posted:

So I know virtually all SovCit claims/defenses are insane and wrong, but are there any that have panned out for the defendants? Or where their defense was wrong, but they got off anyway?

1. Not "virtually all" - literally all.

2. Their 'success stories' are either complete stdh.txt, or they're confusing the fact that they aren't in jail at the time of the telling of the story with "having won."

What happens is that they fart up the legal process with so much excess bullshit that they can't really tell whats going on. (and its being scared/ignorant of the legal system which draws them to these magic words and online 'gurus' in the first place) So when the guy goes in on an arraignment and says, "I'm a freeman on the land, you have no jurisdiction" and the Court is like, "you have to enter a plea and we'll set a trial." the idiot thinks because they walked out of there after spouting a bunch of nonsense they "won."

Really it just means there is going to be a trial in 3 months that they won't show up for, and then there will be a bench warrant, and then the guy will disappear for awhile, and then they'll haul him in, and he'll be found guilty and then assessed a fine, and he won't pay it, and then they'll file a lien against his property for the fine (assuming its an ordinance thing) that he won't find out about because he never checks the property records, or they'll issue another bench warrant, but because its a small town who's municipal court doesn't have a jail they won't go out and haul him in, but if he gets pulled over in another town the cops will see his warrant and haul him in, and he won't understand that the reason he's in jail that day is because of the bullshit from the other case, so he thinks he "won" the other case because he can't connect the dots of his current predicament to the prior legal action cuz he's a dumbass.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I've seen them beat traffic tickets because no one wants to deal with them. I've also seen one convicted of intimidation for filing a $3,000,000 lien on a Judge that convicted him for something else.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There's cases where prosecutors just dropped charges rather than deal with the hassle, in the early days of it becoming a widespread thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

joat mon posted:

No. They had real attorneys that used and argued the real law and won because the feds couldn't prove all the elements of the crimes beyond a reasonable doubt. Prosecutorial hubris might have had something to do with it, too.

You mean the "real" attorney who got himself tased and arrested in court for being a dumbshit and is no longer allowed to practice law in Oregon?

Or is that :thejoke:

Unload My Head fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 20, 2017