Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
To show visuals of how play arrives at the picture shown in the book:

Qxc6

h3

Bxf3

Qxf3

Qxf3

gxf3, black to move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Something some of you may be wondering: Why would Black perform those exact moves?

Answer: I'm not entirely certain, but I am fairly confident that, while there's no guarantee white's outlined moves are the best ones, this guy's experience playing on the Black side means that Black's moves are the best given these exact moves by whites. Presumably there are methods to exploit anything else played by Black.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

jon joe posted:

Also, I do believe sims fall under the purview of "chess engines", which are verboten.

Whelp RIP looking up example games.

Also: Great post jon joe but what if they end up Qxd4 like the over aggressive madmen they are?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 18, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Gridlocked posted:

Also: Great post jon joe but what if they end up Qxd4 like the over aggressive madmen they are?

From the current position?

We take their Knight, check, now their queen is defenseless. They will probably take our Bishop with their Pawn (because everything they put in the way gets eaten by our Bishop) and we take the Queen with our own.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Well. Qxf3?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well, time for queenie to come out to play. QXF3.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
My only worry after Qxf3 is their Qxd4. gxf3 takes care of the problem at the cost of our pawn structure and somewhere nice to castle. Be2 is a terrible stop-gap measure that unpins their knight.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm leaning fx3 with the pawn on g2 honestly.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Queen in d1 to take Bishop in f3, aka Qxf3.

To channel my inner Jon Joe instead of my inner Chessty Puller I see us following this up by capturing that knight in c6 with our bishop in b5. Then that pawn in b7 takes our bishop newly in c6. Following that we take the pawn newly in c6 with our queen, checking the king or at least giving us an opening to take the rook with our queen.

Looking at the board again this is wildly over optimistic as it does not predict what black will do after we take the Bishop with our Queen. Hopefully the enemy queen will take out our pawn in d4 and then be stuck there as we continually check their king, but they could pull some good blocking moves with that knight in f6 too.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Not much else to do. Bxf3 loses us our bishop and gxf3 fucks up our pawn line. Qxf3.

Now their most probable attack path is to pile on our d4 pawn with their queen and rook after a castle. That makes Bxc6+ a nice move for us if we can gently caress up their pawn structure.

Cloud Potato posted:

My only worry after Qxf3 is their Qxd4.

We take their knight with our bishop, check. They either put their other knight or their queen in the way (so good bye another piece and they have to take with their king, loving up their position) or take our bishop with their pawn. We take their pawn with our queen, forking their rook and king. Queen gets in the middle, we take their rook, another check.

We are trading, at the very least, our bishop for a pawn and a rook, a good deal.

Gridlocked posted:

I'm leaning fx3 with the pawn on g2 honestly.

That puts our king right on the frontline after a castle, thoguh. :ohdear:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Qxf3 works out extremely well if they end up taking the Qxd4 bait so let's do that.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Fat Samurai posted:

That puts our king right on the frontline after a castle, thoguh. :ohdear:

That is a VERY valid point. I am primarily concerned about letting their Queen take control of the center but I will happily bow to the wisdom of getting ours into combat.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Habituallyred has summed up my thoughts, pretty much. The best we can hope for is their Queen to move, but we can't really expect it. That being said, they stepped too far. Qxf3.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

That is a VERY valid point. I am primarily concerned about letting their Queen take control of the center but I will happily bow to the wisdom of getting ours into combat.

They'll need to move it back to block eventually if they do go for the pawn. Meanwhile we'll have all but obliterated their Queen side with our own Queen.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked posted:

At least that's my thinking. A handful of example games are fine. An aggregated 10,000 example games are chess-engine levels of data. I'll gladly skip my way onto the nearest chess database if Covski rules otherwise, however.

That said, I think Black made a huge blunder here by capturing our Knight with their Bishop. I played out a couple games against myself, looking for ways Black could potentially go for a checkmate after we capture their bishop with our queen, but I couldn't find any that we couldn't negate in a single move, at a huge cost to Black. In fact, I'm not really sure how Black survives this with anything less than a ruined pawn structure due to our two pieces that will be eyeing c6.

Qxf3

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
In other news, today we mourn the loss of one's Smerdon's Scandinavian as a tool in our conquering of the chess board. RIP; has no advice for Black making a bad move.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

jon joe posted:

That said, I think Black made a huge blunder here by capturing our Knight with their Bishop. I played out a couple games against myself, looking for ways Black could potentially go for a checkmate after we capture their bishop with our queen, but I couldn't find any that we couldn't negate in a single move, at a huge cost to Black. In fact, I'm not really sure how Black survives this with anything less than a ruined pawn structure due to our two pieces that will be eyeing c6.

Moving Qb6 so they can use the queen to take our bishop after we take the knight. Otherwise castling queenside (and they want to castle that way to bring that rook into play and threaten our pawn in d4) is very, very dangerous.

In fact, if they move their queen to b6 I'd suggest Kc3 to give them time to castle and then Bxc6 so they have to decide between stop threatening our pawn with their queen or ending up with two pawns completely alone.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Qxf3

At this point, i would bet money that they go Qxd4 next turn, at which point we run roughshod on them.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Qxf3. Let's give this plan a shot.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Yep, Qxf3

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

And that's ten!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

jon joe posted:

In other news, today we mourn the loss of one's Smerdon's Scandinavian as a tool in our conquering of the chess board. RIP; has no advice for Black making a bad move.

Ahahah

Ok then lets get this Qxf3 going.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Qxf3 wins the vote!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3

Black has 24 hours to decide on a move.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I can't see much Black can do except moving their Queen to threaten our pawn, our bishop and defend their Knight. Qb6? And then castle to put their rook on d4?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
This is very dependant on blacks move but:

From this CURRENT position we can trade the bishop into the knight, lose it to the pawn on b7 and then remove the pawn with the queen to put their king back into check and see if we can keep them on the reactive side?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah that's pretty much the plan unless they either put us in check, cover c6 with another piece (probably the queen) or block our queen from reaching c6.

Qb6 looks alright for them. They might go Qa5 and put us in check, at which point I think our best counter is Nc3 to block the check and protect our bishop.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 19, 2017

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh, geez, I didn't even realize that they can check us right now. But even if they do, which is probably their smartest move, there isn't much that they can do that doesn't end with huge losses to their side, my untrained eye sees.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
wrong thread

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

I can't see much Black can do except moving their Queen to threaten our pawn, our bishop and defend their Knight. Qb6? And then castle to put their rook on d4?

They could always move Rook to c8. They give up the queen side castle, but at least they don't need to babysit their knight with their queen.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

actually, I take it back. They probably go Q+a5 and for the bishop and the king. Not sure how we get out of that without losing the bishop.

edit: oh, nc3 will fix that.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh geez, I didn't see that at all. That doesn't seem to be a bad move at all, Rc8, it's a more even trade if it comes to blows, I think.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

jon joe posted:

They could always move Rook to c8. They give up the queen side castle, but at least they don't need to babysit their knight with their queen.

Nonsense. They are goons. Herding them into a defensive move is impossible. They are going to be fighting each other each step of the way.

We, on the other hand, are a shining example of cooperative thinking, teamwork and the whole being more than the sum of the parts thing.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

Nonsense. They are goons. Herding them into a defensive move is impossible. They are going to be fighting each other each step of the way.

We, on the other hand, are a shining example of cooperative thinking, teamwork and the whole being more than the sum of the parts thing.

I'm out of theory so my chess IQ has dropped at least a standard deviation. But yes, together we are some kind of swarm intelligence.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

jon joe posted:

I'm out of theory so my chess IQ has dropped at least a standard deviation. But yes, together we are some kind of swarm intelligence.

drat it, did they make that lovely move just to throw us off book?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

oath2order posted:

drat it, did they make that lovely move just to throw us off book?

Doubtful, because unless they were reading the same book I was they ran out of theory when they moved c6

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Alternatively, they would need to be dirty cheaters reading ARE THREAD :bahgawd:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well, no need to worry about check for now, I guess. I'm rather uncertain as to what we can do for now. Perhaps now would be a good time to Kingside Castle? 0-0. Unless anyone has a better suggestion.

• Locked thread