Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Another new song, "This Isn't The Place"
https://youtu.be/_g8nAqDu3gI

Reminds me of one of the slower, more brooding Niggy Tardust tracks.

Ah poo poo well that's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I like this much more than the last song. More of this please.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think that's the first time I've seen 2160p as a quality option on a YouTube video. Kinda hilarious that it's on a video with so little going on.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mierenneuker posted:

I think that's the first time I've seen 2160p as a quality option on a YouTube video. Kinda hilarious that it's on a video with so little going on.

:filez: TV show uploaders have apparently been uploading 2160p rips of TV shows recently. It's pretty nuts and I can only imagine how immense the file sizes must be.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I'm not sure why people are so quick to assume there's going to be a direct Trump analogue if this turns out to be more YZ stuff. The "Capital G" thing was definitely a callout, but the whole album and storyline were a general "here is a video-game-style depiction of America if the bad guys take over." It was definitely inspired heavily by world events of the time, and especially by the Bush-era administration, but I don't think Bush himself was the intended target of the whole album.

I'd imagine if this is more YZ-type stuff we'll probably see themes of xenophobia, racism, police action, that sort of thing, but I doubt we'll see a direct analogue of Drumpf make an appearance.

I think anybody reading too far into Trent's personal politics and such are seeing things that aren't there. The guy is obviously pretty left-leaning, but the political poo poo has never been super overt. YZ was less "here is the NIN political album" and more a product of the times, IMO. The whole ARG and backstory behind YZ made it feel much more like a Judge Dredd/Blade Runner/whatever "bleak future" setting, with a bit of politics thrown in because it was appropriate at the time.

e: I'm not trying to poo poo on anybody who feels otherwise, I just don't really see it and personally I don't want to try to shoehorn politics into my musical opinions unless it's like a Ted Nugent or Skrewdriver-type thing

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 18, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Which proved to be a smart decision, because look how much more relevant YZ feels 10 years later. Certainly there's a place for direct call-outs but I'm also glad there are artists taking a different approach.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

glam rock hamhock posted:

It always amazes me how much the worst iTunes is and always has been. For a company that pretends to be all about making slick, easy to use things you'd think they'd at least try and make iTunes not the worst music manager that every existed.

They don't actually want you to manage and curate your own music collection, at this point they mostly just want you to buy into their streaming service.

I feel like such an old these days when I run into kids who basically just use Spotify or whatever and never really buy songs, let alone albums.

Mind you I don't think I've bought an album in a physical format since like 2010.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've got 34 different NIN wallpapers rotating through my desktop, mostly the Ghosts promo images and such, some stuff from With Teeth and a couple randoms, but the YZ stuff is my absolute favorite. Obviously there's some heavy political imagery with the US flag and the church tower and such, but the images really capture the whole "bleak future" theme of the album, and they're a pretty good visual analogue for the music on the album, IMO:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Entropic posted:

They don't actually want you to manage and curate your own music collection, at this point they mostly just want you to buy into their streaming service.

I feel like such an old these days when I run into kids who basically just use Spotify or whatever and never really buy songs, let alone albums.

Mind you I don't think I've bought an album in a physical format since like 2010.

and yet Vinyl sales are at an all time high

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Less Than seems like TR lashing out at the people that voted for Trump.

That's probably why it's ringing so hollow to me. As if, Ms. 'We Came, We Saw, He Died. Hehehe' wouldn't have had missile trails across the sky shortly after getting sworn in or that it's somehow lower/middle america's fault that they were presented with a terrible set of choices.

What Hillary might have done if she won literally does not matter because she didn't. Let's see what the Donald is up to. I'm sure he's doing great with... Oh... Oh god...

http://www.newsweek.com/president-trumps-isis-war-course-double-obamas-civilian-deaths-637538

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The new track is very cool.

Kelp Me! posted:

Also I'm not sure why people are so quick to assume there's going to be a direct Trump analogue if this turns out to be more YZ stuff. The "Capital G" thing was definitely a callout, but the whole album and storyline were a general "here is a video-game-style depiction of America if the bad guys take over." It was definitely inspired heavily by world events of the time, and especially by the Bush-era administration, but I don't think Bush himself was the intended target of the whole album.

I'd imagine if this is more YZ-type stuff we'll probably see themes of xenophobia, racism, police action, that sort of thing, but I doubt we'll see a direct analogue of Drumpf make an appearance.

I think anybody reading too far into Trent's personal politics and such are seeing things that aren't there. The guy is obviously pretty left-leaning, but the political poo poo has never been super overt. YZ was less "here is the NIN political album" and more a product of the times, IMO. The whole ARG and backstory behind YZ made it feel much more like a Judge Dredd/Blade Runner/whatever "bleak future" setting, with a bit of politics thrown in because it was appropriate at the time.

e: I'm not trying to poo poo on anybody who feels otherwise, I just don't really see it and personally I don't want to try to shoehorn politics into my musical opinions unless it's like a Ted Nugent or Skrewdriver-type thing

He literally wrote The Hand That Feeds about Bush, followed it up with an entire album that was heavily influenced by Bush (despite his attempt to reach beyond himself and the current situation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re-2OrwRuXk) and went radio silent during Obama's presidency. YZ coming out of mothballs isn't a coincidence, even if he originally planned it as a 'Not The Actual Events' alternate reality view of what could have happened.

(To go deeper into that last part. I had a theory I've never been able to properly put into words about his NIN work since Hesitation Marks. He's basically been retracing his career. HM was him flirting with elements from TDS. Deviations was a different take on The Fragile. Not The Actual Events was from the perspective of that part of himself he walled up on With Teeth. And I thought untitled EP [now Add Violence] was going to be that guy from Burning Bright unleashed onto the world of Year Zero. It's looking like I was wrong on intent but there does seem to be something to that train of thought. I guess we'll see for sure if he re-explores The Slip for EP number 3.)

Vince MechMahon posted:

What Hillary might have done if she won literally does not matter because she didn't. Let's see what the Donald is up to. I'm sure he's doing great with... Oh... Oh god...

http://www.newsweek.com/president-trumps-isis-war-course-double-obamas-civilian-deaths-637538

Did you (or him) give a poo poo about civilian deaths under Obama? Do you honestly think Hillary wouldn't have toppled Assad (something the Donald was able to resist despite universal praise from the establishment over his airfield bombing) after getting elected? That's why this :qq: act is ringing hollow. You had the high ground in 2007. Not so much in 2017.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 18, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Lemming posted:

Another new song, "This Isn't The Place"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g8nAqDu3gI

Reminds me of one of the slower, more brooding Niggy Tardust tracks.
This is infinitely better than Less Than

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Confirmed: she's gone away is a Hillary ballad. The "little mouth that opened up inside" is a clear Trump reference

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
So Trent can't rail against the disastrous state of politics because...he didn't do it enough when Obama was president? Or because he"flipped mansions"? Or because he has four children?

You sound like an alt-right idiot.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

So Trent can't rail against the disastrous state of politics because...he didn't do it enough when Obama was president? Or because he"flipped mansions"? Or because he has four children?

You sound like an alt-right idiot.

What if this whole crusades a charade? And behind it all there's a price to be paid??

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm all for bipartisanship in general, but Trent is under no obligation to be equally personally outraged about everything.

(Also, Trump and his cult being bad for America is drat near a bipartisan issue anyway.)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

The new track is very cool.

He literally wrote The Hand That Feeds about Bush, followed it up with an entire album that was heavily influenced by Bush (despite his attempt to reach beyond himself and the current situation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re-2OrwRuXk) and went radio silent during Obama's presidency. YZ coming out of mothballs isn't a coincidence, even if he originally planned it as a 'Not The Actual Events' alternate reality view of what could have happened.

(To go deeper into that last part. I had a theory I've never been able to properly put into words about his NIN work since Hesitation Marks. He's basically been retracing his career. HM was him flirting with elements from TDS. Deviations is a different take on The Fragile. Not The Actual Events was from the perspective of that part of himself he walled up on With Teeth. And I thought untitled EP [now Add Violence] was going to be that guy from Burning Bright unleashed onto the world of Year Zero. It's looking like I was wrong on intent but there does seem to be something to that train of thought. I guess we'll see for sure if he re-explores The Slip for EP number 3.)

Did you (or him) give a poo poo about civilian deaths under Obama? Do you honestly think Hillary wouldn't have toppled Assad (something the Donald was able to resist despite universal praise from the establishment over his airfield bombing) after getting elected? That why this :qq: act is ringing hollow. You had the high ground in 2007. Not so much in 2017.

Hand That Feeds was, again, more of an anti-Bush administration song than an anti-Bush song, specifically. As for YZ, in his own words:

quote:

What's it about? Well, it takes place about fifteen years in the future. Things are not good. If you imagine a world where greed and power continue to run their likely course, you'll have an idea of the backdrop. The world has reached the breaking point - politically, spiritually and ecologically. Written from various perspectives of people in this world, "year zero" examines various viewpoints set against an impending moment of truth. How does it sound? You will hear for yourself soon enough, but given the point of this document is to provide information...

I'm not even sure what "radio silent" means, NIN was definitely touring during the Obama years and they definitely played a bunch of stuff from YZ, as well as The Hand That Feeds, on those tours. Hell, the fact that he changed the Bush image to McCain in some concerts, and the McCain diss you posted, are even more evidence that that song is more anti-administration than anti-specific person.

Also, it's pretty well-known that Bush wasn't even close to the worst part of that whole administration, which is why most of the bands doing specifically anti-Bush songs at that time were the dumber/more reactionary punk bands.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Whoops just realized I'm dangerously close to a political argument with someone who is angry about Trent being a corporate sellout while also extolling the virtues of Amazon Echo :ironicat:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Kelp Me! posted:

Whoops just realized I'm dangerously close to a political argument with someone who is angry about Trent being a corporate sellout while also extolling the virtues of Amazon Echo :ironicat:

I'm rubber and you're Beats 1/vinyl.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The bass in the new track is so goddamn good. I'm going to be listening to that one on a loop for a while.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Did you (or him) give a poo poo about civilian deaths under Obama? Do you honestly think Hillary wouldn't have toppled Assad (something the Donald was able to resist despite universal praise from the establishment over his airfield bombing) after getting elected? That's why this :qq: act is ringing hollow. You had the high ground in 2007. Not so much in 2017.

Yes, I did. Drone strikes have always sucked, and we can always do better. We do still have the high ground because unlike the right we are internally consistent. Obama's numbers were too high, and Trump is on track to double them.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I think (hope) Charlie's point isn't right or left. The Obama administration was just better at hiding the face of the ugly beast while the same kinds of terrible policies were enacted. The problem is that democrats and republicans both serve the same masters. Greed and power rule. That's why people roll their eyes when the political message comes across as partisan.

That said I find the point of year zero and other such politically inclined NIN work to be pointed more at the system than at the particular politicians (even if Trent can't help but take a swing at that piņata).

Skails fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 19, 2017

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Really liked the new track until the falsetto came in...

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I liked this new track a lot more than the first one. I remember the last EP had a few callbacks to earlier NIN music, I wonder if this one will too, or if every EP will reference specific eras in Trent's music. Can't wait for the full EP to drop.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Skails posted:

I think (hope) Charlie's point isn't right or left. The Obama administration was just better at hiding the face of the ugly beast while the same kinds of terrible policies were enacted. The problem is that democrats and republicans both serve the same masters. Greed and power rule. That's why people roll their eyes when the political message comes across as partisan.

That said I find the point of year zero and other such politically inclined NIN work to be pointed more at the system than at the particular politicians (even if Trent can't help but take a swing at that piņata).

This false equivalency crap is why we have President Trump.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
You don't understand. They're all puppets, maaaaaan. :tinfoil:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

i wonder if this gets released early again because trezzy gets so excited

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

http://www.dailybulletin.com/arts-and-entertainment/20170719/how-to-experience-fyf-fest-for-free-with-just-announced-livestream

:siren: NIN's FYF set on Sunday will be livestreamed :siren:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Just got the download link for ADD VIOLENCE, it released early.

edit: Weird, got two different download links. One new type and one in the old SendOwl style. Assuming they're the same thing.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 19, 2017

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

You've ruined the act, GOB.
I'm out at dinner fuuuuuuuuck me like an animal.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, saw that email but won't be able to listen until late tonight :(

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Listening to the whole thing in order at the moment. The Lovers sounds a bit like The Fragile's more natural sounding guitar and piano had a baby with Year Zero, I think?

e: Anyone here going to the show tonight?

ee: There are so many references to Trent's other work I could almost see this unifying a big chunk of it and bringing it into the YZ universe...

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 20, 2017

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

You've ruined the act, GOB.
The "ending" of THE BACKGROUND WORLD :aaaaa:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

jtr posted:

The "ending" of THE BACKGROUND WORLD :aaaaa:
Is it supposed to be irritating as gently caress that it loops so awkwardly? Cause it is.

Apparently it loops 52 times. Trent is 52.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

It's really amazing how irritating the stutter in the loop is.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Xylorjax posted:

maybe that's how birthdays start feeling when you hit 52

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Xylorjax posted:

It angers me. The ep will have to grow on me, as ntae did.

Edit: It already is way more interesting than the last ep, and it's very cool how it's hinting at some big Year Zero tie-in. I bet tonight's show reveals another part of the big picture.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 20, 2017

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Leon Einstein posted:

Is it supposed to be irritating as gently caress that it loops so awkwardly? Cause it is.

Apparently it loops 52 times. Trent is 52.

Yea, I couldn't get through it. Bet there's something hidden in there.

I feel sorry for the folks initially listening to it on vinyl.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I got through it. It gets less irritating as it goes on because that stutter sort of disappears into distorted mush after awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005
"I Am Sitting in a Room" goes on for like 40 minutes, so all told I admire Trent's restraint with the end of "The Background World."