Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

hitchensgoespop posted:

Serious question, whats the outcome of these continuous allegations?

Im assuming that the majority of them aren't "illegal" just shady. Therefore are we waiting for the republicans to finally reaching a point of "enough is enough"?

Im just currently of the opinion that despite this stuff starting to look lovely, there's no real outcome here if Trump goes "yeah so what" and the republicans turn the other cheek and his base go "fake news dont care"

Im not nothing mattering im just wondering what people think will happen next?

Working directly on behalf of a foreign government as an elected official goes beyond just "shady", I think. Will anything come of it? Time will tell. unlikely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm trying to get into PA school and people ask me "why don't you just be a doctor? you'll make more money."

like my conception of a lot of money must be very different from other people. all i need to be happy is a barbell and a flat place to lift it on.

also heck yeah change what you do every year if you feel like it :hellyeah:

There's just a single mattress on the floor of your apartment with a crucifix on the wall even though you don't believe, isn't there?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mustached Demon posted:

You're assuming the demand slides with price when it does not necessarily based on the market for that drug/device. Then there's cash flow to consider, too. That peak of maximum profit depends on development costs because that's sort of how investments work--spend x, get x+y back, make y.

Can't really equate it to restaurants since being one of three pizza shops in town isn't exactly the same as being one of three insulin manufacturers.

You missed the point of that post by such a large margin that it had to be on purpose.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://mobile.twitter.com/lindsaywise/status/887336899882496000

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

TARDISman posted:

I am on a telephone town hall with Erik "I'm a fuckin' ghost" Paulsen. Any questions I should ask?
Oh good, my gf's mom (a constituent) has some questions:
1.) If the vast majority of your constituents disapprove of Trumpcare, why vote for it?
2.) When's your next town hall meeting?
3.) Cats or dogs?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

You missed the point of that post by such a large margin that it had to be on purpose.

Yeah I think I did. I'm tired.

:negative:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Proceeding just means bringing the motion to the floor

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Proceeding just means bringing the motion to the floor

Yes but you don't proceed unless you have the votes.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

hitchensgoespop posted:

Serious question, whats the outcome of these continuous allegations?

Im assuming that the majority of them aren't "illegal" just shady. Therefore are we waiting for the republicans to finally reaching a point of "enough is enough"?

Im just currently of the opinion that despite this stuff starting to look lovely, there's no real outcome here if Trump goes "yeah so what" and the republicans turn the other cheek and his base go "fake news dont care"

Im not nothing mattering im just wondering what people think will happen next?

As long as he wasn't actually bribed to help Russia, then Russia is basically just another lobbyist. If you are legit convinced by the Kremlin that they are wonderful and the sanctions are bad, then the consequences are only political.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

FizFashizzle posted:

Moran was never a No on Repeal and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and that post is from yesterday.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

FizFashizzle posted:

and they don't have the votes. Collins, Capito, and Murkowski are all no's.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Crows Turn Off posted:

There is a method of removing corrupt, traitorous, scumbag politicians.
If the Democrats were in power right now, there would be a Republican politician on TV every couple days reminding everyone that (hint hint) the second amendment is (wink) is a very important thing to America. (flashes a photo of prominent Democrat in the sights of a rifle)

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

And I swear to God, that joke never leaves this room.

It's an injoke. They won't get it. We're a family.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I hear this fairly frequently in physician circles and those who say it never seem to have a good response to, "When did anyone ever say that you wouldn't be compensated for the work you do?" I mean, I literally have to follow a law that says that I have to provide emergency stabilization to anyone who makes it to my facility, in a catchment area with a truly atrocious reimbursement rate, and while I am not exactly blowing my nose into Benjamin Franklins I sure as hell feel as though I get compensated very well for my time. I'm pretty sure our trauma surgeons aren't starving either. But try to prevent a huge chunk of the population from going into medical-related bankruptcy or suffer from measurable increases in morbidity and mortality, and suddenly loving ophthalmologists and dermatologists who have never taken a day of call in their professional lives crawl out of the (rare and exotic, hand-hewn) woodwork to scream, "BUT WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE ME WORK FOR FREE?!"

Which of course just resonates so much for me as I'm cramming a chest tube into some dude with every defined strain of hepatitis who fell off a wall at 3AM after injecting heroin laced with carfentanil because no one will pay for rehab, in between managing half a dozen other people who are trying to stave off their third heart attack by taking their deliriously-overpriced pills every other day so they can, you know, eat.

You know you seem pretty angry at the US medical system. Have you ever, no joke, looked into what it would take for you to be able to work in Canada? Or are you staying put because America needs doctors that actually care like you?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

The fact that so many people already knew how compromised he was and didn't do anything about it is what's most disturbing about all this.

He was the one Paul Ryan and the others were """""""""joking""""""""" about him being in Putin's pocket.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Say you are a reasonable party and put your country above it, what is the mechanism for punishing or removing a politician within it who you know is funded by a hostile foreign government to sabotage your government?

This hypothetical decent party would do something about Rohranbacher, right?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

FizFashizzle posted:

Liberal activists were literally cheering on Moran the other day for killing BCRA and now it's clear the only reason he did that is because it doesn't gently caress the poor enough lol

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ague Proof posted:

Say you are a reasonable party and put your country above it, what is the mechanism for punishing or removing a politician within it who you know is funded by a hostile foreign government to sabotage your government?

This hypothetical decent party would do something about Rohranbacher, right?

A 2/3 majority of the house can expel a member.

edit: same with the senate, 67 senators can expel a senator.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

To some extent, but young people still voted much more Democratic than old people in 2016

Do you think the current olds didn't vote more Democrat when they were younger?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Aves Maria! posted:

Liberal activists were literally cheering on Moran the other day for killing BCRA and now it's clear the only reason he did that is because it doesn't gently caress the poor enough lol

That was clear at the time.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
True story: doctors were partially responsible for shooting down every healthcare reform from the first Roosevelt era to Nixon. They had a slick PR campaign where they managed to convince the American people they were more than just a self interested cartel.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Aves Maria! posted:

Or he agreed to help kill it because he's not up until 2022 and now he's covering his rear end.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Papercut posted:

That was clear at the time.

True enough

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/JerryMoran/status/887108026246803456

:confuoot:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, but this is by far the most liberal generation in the last century. Millennials are more left-leaning than prior generations were when they were the same age.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

steinrokkan posted:

that's not how this works. there is no study on this planet that proves people get more conservative as they age

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Lightning Lord posted:

You know you seem pretty angry at the US medical system. Have you ever, no joke, looked into what it would take for you to be able to work in Canada? Or are you staying put because America needs doctors that actually care like you?

He's more angry at doctors that complain about changing the current system. He wants to improve things here. Moving to another country ignores the problem.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
America can manage to summon outrage over France not supporting the Iraq invasion while Russia literally undermining the government gets nothing

This is man in the high castle irl

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rigel posted:

Yes, but this is by far the most liberal generation in the last century. Millennials are more left-leaning than prior generations were when they were the same age.

Out of curiosity, is the definition of "left" consistent across those measures? Are we sure they aren't capturing centrists that have been grouped in with the left in more recent surveys?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, but when they were young, the Democrats were also a much different party than they are now.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Sorry if this has been posted before (thread moves fast) but breaking news, Trump is Fat.

So much for the tolerant heft.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/887689253362302978

Lol what a bunch of spineless cowards

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Aves Maria! posted:

that's not how this works. there is no study on this planet that proves people get more conservative as they age

"But Churchill said that thing that my Dad always quotes..."

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Drone posted:

Yes, but when they were young, the Democrats were also a much different party than they are now.

people don't get more conservative as they age: the chart

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

namaste faggots posted:

America can manage to summon outrage over France not supporting the Iraq invasion while Russia literally undermining the government gets nothing

It's literally front page news almost every day.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Imagine being afraid of Sean Hannity

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

"Iwould speak out against the president committing treason, but then a tv show and talk radio host might say mean things about me, and that's more important to me than protecting 300 million people from a traitor president. " - a true patriot

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
The millenial generational cohort and the one coming after are not merely more left wing or more blue, they're both far more importantly far more brown.

At the moment, the Republicans have doubled down several times over on voter suppression and closely related immigration crackdowns designed to disrupt the path to citizenship. They at the same time are lobbying for more non citizenship path temp guest worker passes for low wage work. The goal here is obvious, to paralyze the ability of as many brown people as possible to vote every which way they can.

The hope for the future of this country lies not in some improvement to the politics of the next iteration of white peole, it lies in the brown people this administration is trying to ghettoize through imigration law.

The most underreported story in American politics right now is ICE moving against law abiding undocumented folks after exhausting the entire list of ones who actually did crime here. They've flooded the immigration courts with the equivalent of bogus probation violation show causes to overburden the court and place a soft freeze on people fixing their immigration status.

Randbrick fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 19, 2017

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/sppeoples/status/887691490826358784

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Aves Maria! posted:

A thought about this:

If people remain ideologically consistent through life (something studies have shown is largely true), but the political discourse shifts left over time (the whole point of progressivism vs conservativism), then it would seem like people become more conservative as they age. In absolute terms, their positions might not have changed but progressive positions from fifty years ago (e.g. blacks should probably be allowed to drink at the same water fountains as whites) look pretty starkly un-progressive now.

• Locked thread