Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It does for me. There's a mail flap in the garage door. In theory the mail then ends up in a wire basket on the other side of the door, but in practice about 50% of it ends up on the floor instead.

Good thing it's not my parents' house. There the mail ends up in a dog, unless they see the mail person coming and stand at the door slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I hate wire shelving with a passion and I will irl fight anyone who thinks it's ever a good idea, come at me

Well, it is really awesome if you have a bunch of electronics kit, like routers and network switches and such, since it allows air movement to help them stay cool...

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I have a dream of owning a house that large and answering my door in a Segway with a smoking jacket. No pants.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

paternity suitor posted:

I have a dream of owning a house that large and answering my door in a Segway with a smoking jacket. No pants.

After I hit the Powerball and build my own ridiculously overdone mansion, I will hire you to answer the door in precisely that attire.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

PainterofCrap posted:

Meanwhile, near Coraopolis, PA,

Got propane, oil, and its own power pole. Tall cotton, I tells ya.
I read that as Crapopolis, PA and I feel like it's not far off.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

PainterofCrap posted:

Ummm, is there something wrong with multiple energy sources? I have electricity, oil, propane, and firewood at my house

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend lives in a house that was a mobile home that sprouted and grew like that. It's a house-seed and if allowed to take root, various additions will bud.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

crazypeltast52 posted:

I don't think the picture windows on the ends match the aesthetic, but drat if they wouldn't make for some sweet rooms.

Pretty sure those are screened sleeping porches.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

PainterofCrap posted:

This makes me want to cut just the end off of a mobile and attach to another structure in an even more confusing way. Maybe on to a much bigger, nice house, using it like an architectural salvage accent piece. Or for the entire wall of a storage shed that's smaller than a mobile home.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Does your home have an insufficient number of mannequins? Do you want a home with more mannequins? Well look no further:

http://www.har.com/4302-colony-west-dr/sale_78077894

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phanatic posted:

Does your home have an insufficient number of mannequins? Do you want a home with more mannequins? Well look no further:

There used to be a house in midcity LA that was a beacon of ART

The owner sold it because everyone loved his statues more than they knew who the gently caress he was, and it was sadly flipped to be boring.

But not before folks got a good look at the inside of DavidHouse (aka Norriswood).

https://la.curbed.com/2011/5/20/10465650/house-of-davids-is-for-sale-for-24-million-lets-look-inside

Of note is the beautiful sunken gold bathtub, the construction of which would put the goon who cut his I-beams to shame --its basically a version of His Vision without the moldy shower rock infinity tub.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Phanatic posted:

Obviously, we have an ARETEEST, or a least a Decorator involved here. Congratulations on making 7000+ sq. ft. house more cluttered and crowded than my 1400 sq. ft.
It's like they hate open space or something.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

kid sinister posted:

I like "blower upper" better.

"set on fire"

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Obviously, we have an ARETEEST, or a least a Decorator involved here. Congratulations on making 7000+ sq. ft. house more cluttered and crowded than my 1400 sq. ft.
It's like they hate open space or something.

It would be a fun place to play hide-and-seek as a kid if it weren't for all the creepy dolls and mannequins and poo poo everywhere.

[Edit] \/\/\/ :lol:

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 19, 2017

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
A child disappears while playing hide and seek, and the house gains another mannequin.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

The Twinkie Czar posted:

This makes me want to cut just the end off of a mobile and attach to another structure in an even more confusing way. Maybe on to a much bigger, nice house, using it like an architectural salvage accent piece. Or for the entire wall of a storage shed that's smaller than a mobile home.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That's beautiful. All the grimy sleaziness of drunken desperation sex in your 70's party van without having the leave the comfort of your home.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Buff Skeleton posted:

It would be a fun place to play hide-and-seek as a kid if it weren't for all the creepy dolls and mannequins and poo poo everywhere.
Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

That's beautiful. All the grimy sleaziness of drunken desperation sex in your 70's party van without having the leave the comfort of your home.

The best part: that van is probably far more structurally sound than the rest of the house. By orders of magnitude, since it was engineered to protect the occupants in a serious collision. It's also likely got some semblance of insulation, which is not a guarantee for lovely old housing.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

This is like the house swallowed the van and it is slowly digesting it.

Also, I love that they left the license plate.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

so... a panic room?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Earlier we saw a mobile home that had grown into a full sized home. Once these buildings mature they fruit, eventually that van will fully form into an RV or mobile home and drive off to start a new house. This is the housing cycle.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Baronjutter posted:

Earlier we saw a mobile home that had grown into a full sized home. Once these buildings mature they fruit, eventually that van will fully form into an RV or mobile home and drive off to start a new house. This is the housing cycle.

what i don't get is the houses that are actual real houses but are designed to be identical to mobile homes.

my uncle lives in one on the prairies, it's 100% a double-wide trailer layout, big long half-separated kitchen/living room area, then one long hallway with all the other rooms off to the side. i was back there for a funeral recently and i was mentioning how i was surprised he still lived in a double-wide when he's pretty well off and they were like "uh he doesn't live in a trailer???"

i always just figured he added a garage to his trailer. it's not a bad place to live at all, but it does look like that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Like a ranch?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FilthyImp posted:

There used to be a house in midcity LA that was a beacon of ART

I remember this puzzle from Return to Zork.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

SoundMonkey posted:

what i don't get is the houses that are actual real houses but are designed to be identical to mobile homes.

my uncle lives in one on the prairies, it's 100% a double-wide trailer layout, big long half-separated kitchen/living room area, then one long hallway with all the other rooms off to the side. i was back there for a funeral recently and i was mentioning how i was surprised he still lived in a double-wide when he's pretty well off and they were like "uh he doesn't live in a trailer???"

i always just figured he added a garage to his trailer. it's not a bad place to live at all, but it does look like that.

Anne Whateley posted:

Like a ranch?

Yeah, that's just a ranch layout. They built millions of them, especially in the 50's-70's. Standard setup is something like this :

Often with a garage off to the left of the kitchen.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's nothing objectively wrong with ranch homes, but they all make me really sad for some reason.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, that's just a ranch layout. They built millions of them, especially in the 50's-70's. Standard setup is something like this :

Often with a garage off to the left of the kitchen.

sorry, i probably explained it poorly.

like.. (one trailer worth, long-way) entryway/kitchen/dining room, right beside it, every other room off a single hallway no matter how impractical.

poo poo even LOOKS like a trailer from the outside.

more like:

bathroom / bedroom/ bedroom / bedroom / office / master bed / laundry

(parallel to that)

living room / kitchen / entryway / dining room

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

poo poo even LOOKS like a trailer from the outside.

I believe it's just called a "manufactured home" at that point.

Just scrolled past this on facebook, no context to go with it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

H110Hawk posted:

Green to green. Yep. Checks out. I don't see the problem. :colbert:

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Now we know how the Millennium Falcon was inspired.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

What an odd color for an outlet (?)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

sinky posted:

A child disappears while playing hide and seek, and the house gains another mannequin.

I think I saw that movie in the '80s. Maybe late '70s.

SoundMonkey posted:

Manufactured/prefab housing, just not technically a trailer. Slightly different in the structure underneath, I think, but pretty much the same construction technique.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Progressive JPEG posted:

What an odd color for an outlet (?)

Red is used for hospital outlets that are supposed to power life-critical equipment.

:stonklol:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Space Gopher posted:

Red is used for hospital outlets that are supposed to power life-critical equipment.

:stonklol:

To go further on this. The red outlets should be on the backup generator while the other outlets won't work in a power outage.

Hard to tell from that picture if it's actually a hospital though.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

H110Hawk posted:

That's what I call an isolated ground!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Hard to tell from that picture if it's actually a hospital though.

The definitely looks like hospital room/nursing home wallpaper.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

I just bought a modular home. It has its pros and cons (3 steel I-beams that even beatmastrj couldn't shave down make for a sturdy structure, but the subflooring they used is literally mobile home flooring.)

The layout is pretty similar to

Our living room is quite a bit larger and we have a full finished basement as well.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I always wanted a home with an escape pod!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This one is well on it's way.