Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I know I sure as hell did.
Didn't have to worry about that in the original version
FF12 and Disgaea are the games i enjoy breaking the difficulty in. To me the fun comes from the grinding. I'm weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Golden Goat posted:

Nope don't be opening normal chests with the diamond armlet early game. It's either a knot of rust or an extremely rare meteorite. If you had it equipped when checking the flame staff chest you'd get a knot of rust for instance.

Sorry, I meant Trial mode chests. It changes them to gear and skills/spells.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Andrast posted:

I'm playing FF12 fort the first time right now and reading this is really :psyduck: to me. Like, why would they do that?

FWIW I'm fairly sure all of the Diamond Armlet compatible treasure chests are in an optional near-endgame area so it doesn't wind up being a big deal. Handy item for thunder immunity though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Man people really stress too much over job selection in this.

The best part is that if you just pick jobs that seem "appropriate" for each character, you'll probably end up with some pretty fantastic combinations without even thinking about it.

Like, Fran, for example. She starts with a bow, so let's make her an Archer. (Oh no her animation speeeeeeeeeeeed) When it comes time to pick a second job, well poo poo, I dunno, viera are the only ones who could be Red Mages in the FFTA games, let's give her Red Battlemage. Congratulations, you just stumbled backwards into a hilarious late-game combination where you can boost Ardor's damage by 50% with a Burning Bow. And even before then, you have yourself a nice, versatile mage with a good ranged physical attack.

Or Ashe. I may not have made her a Knight in my playthrough, but, I mean, c'mon. She comes with a sword and shield. She's almost always depicted with them. She's a fuckin' Knight. She's also a Time Mage in the Revenant Wings spin-off, so okay, let's give her Time Battlemage as her secondary job. Hey, turns out those work awesome together, she'll have all the Cure spells, and just be a great solid front-liner who can Haste your group. Hell yeah.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Sefal posted:

There's this invisible chest that has a 1% spawn rate. It had a 1% chance of containing an item. If it does contain an item it then has a 1% chance that the item is the seitengrat
so basically 0,01%

whoever came up with this should be banned by law from ever making any decisions again

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Levantine posted:

Sorry, I meant Trial mode chests. It changes them to gear and skills/spells.

Ah right yeah that's a definate thing if you want some of the good stuff. I think the first trial too will give you a diamond armlet if you don't have on from the chests.

It was Cerobi Steppe where you should have the diamond armlet for a slim chance at some good equipment.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

I started playing TA2 again this weekend and I love how fast the story start. You're a delinquent in summer school in the library and you find this mysterious book and your character goes I loving LOVE VANDALIZING BOOKS and writes his name in it which sucks him into Ivalice. That's it. It's all of a dozen lines or so of text. Takes like two minutes if you want to spend one of those thinking up a name for your character instead of the default.

And all the people in Ivalice are going 'don't you want to get back home?' and you're just looking around at this world where you can't die filled with talking dog mages and playboy bunny archers like....no?

Yeah, TA2 is great. Luso's a fun and relatable protagonist because he just wants to hang out and explore a dope new world.

I think if TA2 had a liiiittle more difficulty (even on Hard enemies can't really scale with the player) and a slightly smoother item curve (make Bazaars less opaque, nerf the Auction House slightly) it'd be a perfect game. Even as it stands I play through a bit of it every once in a while because it's so pleasant and charming.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So like, the Ivalice in FFTA and the one in FFTA2 are different, right? If I remember correctly, the one in FFTA is a fake one made by a magical book (though I think also the town you start in is in modern-day actual Ivalice?), but the one in FFTA2 is the actual Ivalice where games like FFXII and FFT take place. Like in one, the book makes a fake world, but in the other, it transports you to a different world altogether but that world exists independently or something?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

supergayboy posted:

FWIW I'm fairly sure all of the Diamond Armlet compatible treasure chests are in an optional near-endgame area so it doesn't wind up being a big deal. Handy item for thunder immunity though.

Incorrect. but whatever

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Malboro Overkings look adorable

Yeah okay I'm not gonna run through the sewer to the White Mousse yet, I'm only able to kill stuff thanks to that legendary sword.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 19, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Saint Freak posted:

I started playing TA2 again this weekend and I love how fast the story start. You're a delinquent in summer school in the library and you find this mysterious book and your character goes I loving LOVE VANDALIZING BOOKS and writes his name in it which sucks him into Ivalice. That's it. It's all of a dozen lines or so of text. Takes like two minutes if you want to spend one of those thinking up a name for your character instead of the default.

And all the people in Ivalice are going 'don't you want to get back home?' and you're just looking around at this world where you can't die filled with talking dog mages and playboy bunny archers like....no?

Yeah, Luso is great and is like the opposite of Marche in a lot of ways. They both are great for what their plots are about, but Luso's just more fun even if his outfit is one of the dumbest in the series.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

corn in the bible posted:

Incorrect. but whatever

Not really, most of them worth having are in Cerobi Steppe which is an area (not optional though) that opens around the endgame and contain the best of some classes of items.

e: it's really not a big deal only because the "best" stuff is kind of unnecessary in normal play.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Man people really stress too much over job selection in this.

If you make people make a permanent decision that can not be undone or mitigated and they have no foreknowledge of the game this will happen every single time.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ozmone Hare's will use potions on you if you're below a certain percent of health.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

dukerson posted:

Yeah, TA2 is great. Luso's a fun and relatable protagonist because he just wants to hang out and explore a dope new world.

I think if TA2 had a liiiittle more difficulty (even on Hard enemies can't really scale with the player) and a slightly smoother item curve (make Bazaars less opaque, nerf the Auction House slightly) it'd be a perfect game. Even as it stands I play through a bit of it every once in a while because it's so pleasant and charming.

It also needs to be to be like five times faster

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Harrow posted:

So like, the Ivalice in FFTA and the one in FFTA2 are different, right? If I remember correctly, the one in FFTA is a fake one made by a magical book (though I think also the town you start in is in modern-day actual Ivalice?), but the one in FFTA2 is the actual Ivalice where games like FFXII and FFT take place. Like in one, the book makes a fake world, but in the other, it transports you to a different world altogether but that world exists independently or something?

TA Ivalice is technically a far future "modern" version of Ivalice, specifically the area around a town called St. Ivalice, transformed to look like a game that very strongly resembles the actual location of Ivalice from the past. A2 Ivalice is the same Ivalice as XII, except on an island region not technically connected to Ivalice (the nation, not the world).

The Ivalice of both A2 and XII is the prehistory of the Ivalice of the original Tactics, which is itself an era of myth to the TA Ivalice (all of which may be connected to Vagrant Story's Valendia through the Gran Grimoire and the Dark).

So the timeline would be XII > A2* >>>>>>>> Tactics >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TA > A2, where A2 begins at a time of approximately 10-15 years following TA but the brunt of which takes place during a period about 3 years after XII.

I hope this has cleared things up for you.

VVVVV Ah gently caress me you're right. Just shove Revenant Wings in after A2*, as while both occur after XII, the latter occurs before the fall of the legendary purvama Lemures and the introduction of the Aegyl to Ivalice.

2DIT: XII, A2 and Revenant Wings occur before the Cataclysm and the birth of Saint Ajora, two unrelated events which served to set the stage for the medieval Ivalice of Tactics. The events might have been connected, or the might not have.

CeallaSo fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 19, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Your timeline is missing the best ffxii game, Revenant Wings

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
So 12 is a prequel to tactics. Does 12 in a way set up the story for tactics?
I know that 12 is far in the past.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sefal posted:

No, and youd be a crazy person to try.

Theyre not reall prequels or even cleanly related, theyre pretty much just "we use ivalice as a shorthand for FF games that feature some specific non human races and that touch on the concept of the zodiac, sometimes"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sefal posted:

Ehhh, not really. There are a lot of terms that come up in Tactics that also come up in FFXII, and all the Espers in FFXII are the Lucavi in Tactics, but other than that there aren't really any connections.

I've read some theories that the events of FFXII are the reason the Tactics world is the way it is, but that's just fan-theory stuff at best.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They are as well connected as Final Fantasy 13 and Final Fantasy Type-0

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I've still yet to play Tactics. Was just wondering, but good to know.
Tactics seems like a game I would really enjoy, yet I never finished it.
I have the psp version and I quit in the beginning for some reason. probably the slow speed?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sefal posted:

I've still yet to play Tactics. Was just wondering, but good to know.
Tactics seems like a game I would really enjoy, yet I never finished it.
I have the psp version and I quit in the beginning for some reason. probably the slow speed?

The PSP version really needs the fan patch that removed the slowdown

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tactics is my favorite Final Fantasy game for a whole lot of reasons, but I haven't played it in a long time, and the PSP version's hilarious animation slowdowns probably make it much less fun to play than it could be.

I'm torn on which version I prefer, honestly. The original PS1 version has one of the best examples of a really awkward translation I've ever seen. I mean, they translated "Breath" as "Bracelet" in attack names, so a dragon might attack you with "Fire Bracelet" or an assassin enemy's "Stop Breath" attack becomes "Stop Bracelet" and it's all very :psyduck:. But it also has some great lines of dialog, and I mean actually good poo poo, not "spoony bard" good-because-it's-funny stuff.

But the War of the Lions retranslation removed a lot of the most iconic and actually good lines in the PS1 translation, while also trying to ape Alexander O. Smith's FFXII/Vagrant Story dialog style with... limited success, I'd say. But it also makes the story a bit more comprehensible and item and skill names make more sense.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Harrow posted:

FFXII kind of exists in this weird limbo where it isn't a grindy game, but it will let you turn it into one and constantly drip-feed you rewards for it. It's also a much simpler game than people give it credit for, but there's a lot of potential depth if you really want to dig into it.

Then you take a look at the kind of people who tend to post about it online, or who did before Zodiac Age came out: they're the diehards. They're the ones spending hours thinking about job assignments and who gets which Esper. They look up RNG manipulation tables and obsess over getting a full set of Brave Suits from the Cerobi Steppe. They grind Dustia with solo Vaan to gain a shitload of levels early on for no reason, get an early Gladius, chain skeletons in the Henne Mines until everyone's level 30, and post "tips" for early-game grinding. Is it any wonder the game has a reputation for being this impenetrable, unforgiving, grindy mess of a game?

I spent some time over the weekend helping people on Reddit with job assignments while I was mid-move and couldn't play any games and my god new players have a warped perception of this game. So many of them restarted multiple times because they read something about how their job choices weren't optimal, then read another thing that said the other one wasn't optimal, and nobody's having any loving fun. It finally got to the point that I made a huge effortpost about how the game isn't hard, and you could only have one job at a time in IZJS so no matter what jobs you mash together in Zodiac Age, you're going to do better than you ever could in IZJS.

People make FFXII a lot less fun than it could be for themselves, and part of it is the game's fault--having these crazily obscure and rare chest drops certainly doesn't discourage tedious grinding--and part of it is just that self-perpetuating idea that everything has to be perfectly optimal and if you make Balthier a Machinist your game is ruined forever.

I made Balthier a Machinist and he shoots monsters with great aplomb

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The White Dragon posted:

i'm really bummed that this hasn't been ported to pc yet. a simultaneous release would've been really cool, but i'm stuck here waiting for two years :(

like i could just get a ps4, but i'd only ever play ff15 and persona 5 on it, and that seems a waste of the price tag of a ps4 just for two games, ya know?

You seem like a decent person for someone in the FF thread, I liked your SO2 LP, why in the world would you say something as awful as you're going to get a PS4 but not get Nier Automata?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nier Automata is also available on PC.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Nier automata is also out on PC. So he may have played it on the pc?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Oh, nevermind then. I forgot it's on PC.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Golden Goat posted:

So on this:

Some chests that have good equipment actually also have a chance to spawn AND a chance that the contents are either the equipment piece or gil or some trash consumable.

For instance you can get the Flame Staff is in the Tomb of Raithwall and is insanely useful for a few hunts, it has a 80% chance to appear, a 30% chance that it'll just contain gil and another 50% chance that if it's an item that it'll be the Flame Staff.

Just opening up every chest isn't a solution, literally you can scour every piece of the map for treasures and still come out missing something good.

Knots of rust do a lot of damage so I don't care if I constantly get them instead of a random thing I can just buy somewhere or get from trial mode.

Anything that's actually important will give you that thing regardless.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

oh

oh i guess i do have mental illness

I spent hours of my life getting tournasol and kumbha

:shepicide: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Tournesol :shepicide:

nah I had fun grinding it out it's a wicked good sword, scroll down on the page to see a list of what you have to do for it lol

I abused the bazaar trick super hard though, the trick is if Item #1 needs A B C and item #2 needs B C D, you can sell 1A 1B 1C 1D and get both as long as you sell them at the same time. Otherwise when you sell A B C the game sets your "B and C sold" number to 0 and you'd have to get double the items.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

some guy on the bus posted:

Oh, nevermind then. I forgot it's on PC.

To be fair, so did Square-Enix with how they handled the PC release date.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

While I'm complaining about this game that I love, even the reworked License Board is pretty drat naff. Only Red Mage really has any meaningful decisions to make about what to unlock and when, most classes are just "take HP and buffs and whatever equipment you're currently carrying". You can buy the License for loving tons of gear before you ever see any of it, so there's no element of meaningful choice "hmmm should I wear better gear or buy more HP" you just do whichever one you currently can.

This just in: players can grind in RPG to make combat trivial

Personally I vastly prefer the jobs to having a massive licence board for each character with so many options you never know what to do. XII's base licence board and FFX's sphere grid were too drat fiddly. Job System boards are very quick to level up and get back to the story.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Knots of rust do a lot of damage so I don't care if I constantly get them instead of a random thing I can just buy somewhere or get from trial mode.

Anything that's actually important will give you that thing regardless.

Lol, please take off the Diamond Armlet.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can't wait for 12's PC release so I can make everyone Machinists and do nothing but spam Knots of Rust.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Welcome to my low level FFXII run where I'll be grinding knots of rust for hours.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Golden Goat posted:

Lol, please take off the Diamond Armlet.

No

Golden Goat posted:

Welcome to my low level FFXII run where I'll be grinding knots of rust for hours.

That sounds awful, you won't have enough HP for the damage to be meaningful.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

That sounds awful, you won't have enough HP for the damage to be meaningful.
It's the only way

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
This translated part from an old interview with Ito adresses some FFXII talk:

Ito: One way to play the original game is to just become strong and barrel through; every character will get stronger if you just acquire every license from the starting point as you go. This isn't what I had had in mind. I wanted people to choose this license and that one, with each of the six characters going in different directions. I wanted the players to worry about [which licenses to acquire] as they played, and develop their own styles.

Whether it's a treasure or whatever, what happens is "destiny", and the player has to accept it and keep going. I thought the original version had this, but one part of me thought that it ended up not functioning very well. There are treasures that sometimes have gil and sometimes items, and if you only got a few gil, I wanted the player to value that small amount of money and keep making progress. But in fact, [some people] just reset until they get the item they want, don't they? It's difficult to make it so that the player has to accept the finality that the item [that they desired] wasn't there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was curious how that happened and now I know, the developer truly was just that stupid.