Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's impossible to defend the prequels on filmmaking grounds so i don't knoww hy harold bomberguy attempts it. usually cd just sticks to content to defend em since even they seem to realize defending anything else is just an autoloss.

i'm not sure they do

they seem to kind of erase consensus as some kind of mass brainwashing instead of acknowledging that the consensus exists and they just disagree, and they fail to understand why people enjoy movies, their suggestions for why things like the prequels are good are completely at odds with enjoyment.

like rlm's criticisms are not at odds with the reasons they think the movies are good at all and they always have to get so mad at rlm and make such weird readings of rlm's review (which hbomb incidentally massively rips off their style, like in a recent thing he did he still did the transition-"oh..." thing the exact same way plinkett would have)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Boba Fett is Han Solo's best friend and Slave 1 copilot.

Edit: Because this galaxy is tiny.

Oh, god, and then the Boba Fett movie is about him dealing with the emotional rollercoaster of bringing his own best friend in as a bounty. It's so stupid, it must be true!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
actually I always liked the bromosexual relationship between han and luke so I wouldn't want luke excised from the story. We would lose out on little moments like Luke and Han saying goodbye at the end of a new hope.

Plus if Han was being traned by obi-wan either Han's whole "its just ghost stories" philosophy would have to either be massively softened or just completely taken out of the plot since Han has to go from not believing a jedi could exist to seeing foce ghosts and crap by the begining of empire strikes back.

Basically all the man on man character arcs in the original trilogy are solid.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never understood that idea often pushed in places like CineD that a movie is actually really good even if it's boring poorly written trash so long as there's things maybe hidden deep within, if you interpret them the right way. That sort of depth can elevate a movie, but the core or bones of the movie still needs to be good in the first place.

"Actually the opening scene of space cop is clearly a reference to this, this, and this actual good movies. Hidden throughout the movie in the background are numbers, which correspond to biblical verses that when taken in the context of the text of the movie show both a deep understanding of theology and a biting criticism of early 20th century theology which, if you allow yourself to actually pay attention to the film, results in what is objectively one of the finest understanding of hegel seen in a movie"

No, it's still a poo poo and bad movie. If the movie itself is not well written and entertaining with enjoyable characters no amount of navel gazing or deeply hidden allegory or references to other things make it a not bad movie.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think the last time I ever went into CD I asked "is there a single movie you can apply this criteria to and find it to be a bad movie?"

They responded no. At least they were honest :)

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I've never understood that idea often pushed in places like CineD that a movie is actually really good even if it's boring poorly written trash so long as there's things maybe hidden deep within, if you interpret them the right way. That sort of depth can elevate a movie, but the core or bones of the movie still needs to be good in the first place.

"Actually the opening scene of space cop is clearly a reference to this, this, and this actual good movies. Hidden throughout the movie in the background are numbers, which correspond to biblical verses that when taken in the context of the text of the movie show both a deep understanding of theology and a biting criticism of early 20th century theology which, if you allow yourself to actually pay attention to the film, results in what is objectively one of the finest understanding of hegel seen in a movie"

No, it's still a poo poo and bad movie. If the movie itself is not well written and entertaining with enjoyable characters no amount of navel gazing or deeply hidden allegory or references to other things make it a not bad movie.

Shhh shhh shh it's okay, it's okay, you're safe now. You can stay with us, the mean cined posters can't hurt you anymore. Here, have a sip of Jay's cum. You'll feel right as rain soon.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I would try to read the CD threads once in a while because I like Star Wars but they were basically just cycles of a handful of people reminding themselves that the prequels are for sure good and as deep as the ocean and this was just an objective fact, or talking about droids being slaves and it took a few too many times for me to finally realize it was a pretty foolish endeavor.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think analyzing the thematic content of a movie and finding something worthwhile is the same thing as saying it's a good movie. The Book of Henry has some interesting thing to say about how we lionize the dead to our own detriment. This doesn't change the fact that The Book of Henry is a piece of poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

General Dog posted:

I don't think analyzing the thematic content of a movie and finding something worthwhile is the same thing as saying it's a good movie. The Book of Henry has some interesting thing to say about how we lionize the dead to our own detriment. This doesn't change the fact that The Book of Henry is a piece of poo poo.

The problem is CineD does this. If you can find or invent from whole cloth some deeper read of the absolute worst garbage of a movie it becomes brilliant and you're an idiot to not get it.

gently caress movies, they're almost all bad. Baby driver was bad, I do wonder if Peg and Frost were involved and it was set in england if it would have been good instead.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Don't don't about things you don't like.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

The problem is CineD does this. If you can find or invent from whole cloth some deeper read of the absolute worst garbage of a movie it becomes brilliant and you're an idiot to not get it.

gently caress movies, they're almost all bad. Baby driver was bad, I do wonder if Peg and Frost were involved and it was set in england if it would have been good instead.

I think the implicit argument being made by a lot of CineD isn't that bad movies aren't bad, it's that bad movies aren't inherently worthless. For the forum about discussing movies, you get a lot more mileage out of the question "what does this movie mean?" than you do out of "is this movie bad, y/n?"

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 19, 2017

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If that theory about Jar Jar being the sith lord actually were true the prequels would still be bad. But at least they would be slightly interesting.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Mac Demarco is a Jar-Jar fan, he hopes to see him in one of the upcoming movies.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

i didnt post this:

The sound of metal chains whipping against bare flesh hang heavy in the air, like a bird flying into a headwind. The room is damp and sparsely lit. SUPERMECHAGODZILLA’s scarred jowls are illuminated by a desk lamp laying sideways on the floor

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
Which reading is true? Which reading is true? WHICH READING IS TRUE!?

KOOS
[Spits mouthful of blood] The words are used specifically for their literal intention, the events are straightforward so as to be easily understood by an audience of children.

The beating begins again, with a furious vigour, until SUPERMECHAGODZILLA can barely stand. He rests one hand against a dirty wall, sweat marring his 1993 Nebraska Film Festival hypercolor t-shirt.

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
The opposite reading is true… The opposite reading is true. I’ve been to college.

KOOS straightens his posture, his pride and dignity unscathed by the days long assault of a fat, stupid man.

KOOS
Any perceived allusions to facism in A Goofy Movie are a wholesale invention of a misguided viewer.

SUPERMECHAGODZILLA adopts the look of a man who has been defeated. Wearily, he grabs a shotgun that had been resting in the corner, and cocks it loudly.

KOOS
Goofy simply wishes to bond with his son through fishing, a traditional pastime, as he had done with his own father. It is neither parable nor allegory. Neither dog was molested, the material does not support this.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

reignofevil posted:

Don't don't about things you don't like.

Listen, crocodile brain.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Man, this thread just made me realize we will one day get a jar jar prequel. That makes me profoundly sad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Give Werner Herzog the Jar Jar prequel

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Shape of the Water trailer is super spoilery 😤😤😤😤😤😤😤😤😤😤

Also it doesn't look too hot.

I dunno how I feel about Del Toro. On the one hand he made a top 5 (top 3???!) movie of all time in Pan's Labyrinth and he should try to make something as good but on the other hand he'll probably never make anything as good again 🤔🤔🤔🤔

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Man, this thread just made me realize we will one day get a jar jar prequel. That makes me profoundly sad.

Wasn't Jar Jar a loser even by Gungan standards before the Jedi showed up? Wasn't that the reason he was on the surface?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Emulator posted:

i didnt post this:

KOOS
Goofy simply wishes to bond with his son through fishing, a traditional pastime, as he had done with his own father. It is neither parable nor allegory. Neither dog was molested, the material does not support this.

HAHAHA oh god.

Is SMG still banned?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
What they missed in the Han Solo prediction is that Han is skeptical about Jedi and the Force. So there is going to have to be, like, a Force fraudster or fake Jedi or something who rips him off and lies to him or something like that for maximum obviousness.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a compilation of the story segments from HITB episodes anywhere?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ffs the jar jar sith lord thing started as a joke on robot chicken.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

SpacePig posted:

Wasn't Jar Jar a loser even by Gungan standards before the Jedi showed up? Wasn't that the reason he was on the surface?

Yep! Can't you wait for an entire prequel to detail exactly how that happened?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Why wouldn't it be a sequel

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A preboot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want to buy a nice pair of soft seaboots to wear at the beach.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
jay's precum.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

a bone to pick posted:

jay's precum.

Jay's soft seacum.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why is Jay so short?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

Why is Jay so short?

His body is trying to evolve so he can't see the screen in movie theaters.

It's a defensive mechanism

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

His body is trying to evolve so he can't see the screen in movie theaters.

It's a defensive mechanism

lol

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

General Dog posted:

Why wouldn't it be a sequel

He becomes an Avenger obviously

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Meme Emulator posted:

i didnt post this:

The sound of metal chains whipping against bare flesh hang heavy in the air, like a bird flying into a headwind. The room is damp and sparsely lit. SUPERMECHAGODZILLA’s scarred jowls are illuminated by a desk lamp laying sideways on the floor

SUPERMECHAGODZILA

KOOS
[Spits mouthful of blood] The words are used specifically for their literal intention, the events are straightforward so as to be easily understood by an audience of children.

The beating begins again, with a furious vigour, until SUPERMECHAGODZILLA can barely stand. He rests one hand against a dirty wall, sweat marring his 1993 Nebraska Film Festival hypercolor t-shirt.

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
The opposite reading is true… The opposite reading is true. I’ve been to college.

KOOS straightens his posture, his pride and dignity unscathed by the days long assault of a fat, stupid man.

KOOS
Any perceived allusions to facism in A Goofy Movie are a wholesale invention of a misguided viewer.

SUPERMECHAGODZILLA adopts the look of a man who has been defeated. Wearily, he grabs a shotgun that had been resting in the corner, and cocks it loudly.

KOOS

Meme Emulator claims that he did not post this and yet he posts the entire thing. In a semiotic sense, he did post this in a very literal way. If you dig deep into this, he embodies the Lucan death urge, in that he sublimates his own identity and in essence becomes SMG. You could say that Meme Emulator is the new Super Mechanic Godzilla now that the dead body of the old has been banned. In a very real way, this funny post is actually very problematic.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

poisonpill posted:

Meme Emulator claims that he did not post this and yet he posts the entire thing. In a semiotic sense, he did post this in a very literal way. If you dig deep into this, he embodies the Lucan death urge, in that he sublimates his own identity and in essence becomes SMG. You could say that Meme Emulator is the new Super Mechanic Godzilla now that the dead body of the old has been banned. In a very real way, this funny post is actually very problematic.

Now quote Zizek and the conversion will be truly complete.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I went to and lectured in my country's film school and never once among all the students and staff came across anyone a tenth as pretentious and stupid as the "people" posting in CineD

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Meme Emulator posted:

SUPERMECHAGODZILA

KOOS

SUPERMECHAGODZILA

KOOS

KOOS

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

WampaLord posted:

Now quote Zizek and the conversion will be truly complete.

Yes, my master.
*eyes turn red*
As Zizek once said, the master/servant relationship is more complex than a simple series of directives to be carried out. You see, the interaction changes both parties...

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

poisonpill posted:

Yes, my master.
*eyes turn red*
As Zizek once said, the master/servant relationship is more complex than a simple series of directives to be carried out. You see, the interaction changes both parties...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I went to and lectured in my country's film school and never once among all the students and staff came across anyone a tenth as pretentious and stupid as the "people" posting in CineD

Yo, actual film school lecturer, go tell them the prequels suck. I want to see what happens.

• Locked thread