Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Ersatz posted:

It might just be that everyone is so exhausted from dealing with actual trolls that they don't have the will to complain about off-meta picks anymore.

It's this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Maybe at your SR. At mine, he is an unstoppable dynamo on Anubis.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I'm pretty tired of the constant racial slurs and poo poo. You'd think if a wordfilter exists that can identify strings of characters, that an insta-report or auto-suspension would be child's play, but every goddamn comp and QP game for me recently has had at least one argument between two complete shitheads hurling epithets at each other.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I'm pretty tired of the constant racial slurs and poo poo. You'd think if a wordfilter exists that can identify strings of characters, that an insta-report or auto-suspension would be child's play, but every goddamn comp and QP game for me recently has had at least one argument between two complete shitheads hurling epithets at each other.
Agreed. I think that Blizzard simply doesn't care enough to implement a system that would catch things like slurs in chat and deal with them automatically.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

They already do so much data mining and machine learning. Why not just have a toxicity ranking, send out warnings, then suspensions, then bans?

Maybe having a reputation for being too sterile/utopian/distopian would be net negative for their bottom line.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

dunno man, but I'm the last of my crew that plays (or in anything but a 6-stack) for exactly this reason. It's really lovely seeing my once full friends list just kinda... dwindle to maybe one or two people playing infrequently.

There's a couple women I used to play with that just got attacked over and over and over and over again in chat/voice who've just completely given up because the reporting does gently caress-all. It sucks because we played great together and they love the game, but chilling in discord-only just doesn't work so well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's why I never play mp in its voice chat. always use discord or your console of choice's party system when playing with friends imo. sometimes you'll get cool people and make friends, but it's generally not worth it in my experience

they really do need to stamp down on that stuff tho

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

If you're like me and you've played more battlefield than anything else in the past several years and can't break the habit of leading enemies, put that habit to good use with torb and embrace the impossible rivet headshot bullshit. I'm old and lovely and still manage to pull off poo poo like sniping reinhardt out of his charge and suppressing chokes from absolutely stupid ranges or just countersniping.

That little bastard's gun is hilarious if you're able to bean people in the head with rivets and at a long enough range against dumb enough snipers you can have rivet #2 in the air headed at their face before #1 lands.

I appreciate the advice but this is the first FPS I've played in over a decade, and I'm on console. :negative:

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun
Blizzard has yet to have to deal with the kind of toxicity in their playerbase that comes with a popular FPS. Starcraft has always been relatively well mannered, Hearthstone has extremely limited player interaction, as does HoTS (I don't think you can even chat with the enemy team in HoTS). WoW has similar tools in place alongside a self policing community. Overwatch has none of those things, and I think the lack of a scoreboard has actually increased toxicity rather than decreasing it. They need to be much more proactive with responding to reports. I would love to see them implement an "Overwatch" style system (CSGO has a self policing system called Overwatch. If you're a veteran player who meets several requirements then you get small ingame rewards for spectating reported players. Multiple users watch a specific game, then if an overwhelming majority agree that the suspect was cheating/griefing it hands out a ban. Players that consistently disagree with consensus are removed from the system.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I will say that WC3, at least in custom games, was pretty toxic. I used to play with a friend a ton and we were always amused/shocked at the sheer amount of slurs and stuff hurled around compared to Starcraft, which we also played. I remember us going back to SC for some reason, and being weirded out by people being so chill in the lobbies, then soon after returning to WC3 and thinking maybe it wouldn't be that bad, and immediately having someone type the n word in caps just as the countdown timer for he lobby ended. We laughed our asses off.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

ToastyPotato posted:

I will say that WC3, at least in custom games, was pretty toxic. I used to play with a friend a ton and we were always amused/shocked at the sheer amount of slurs and stuff hurled around compared to Starcraft, which we also played. I remember us going back to SC for some reason, and being weirded out by people being so chill in the lobbies, then soon after returning to WC3 and thinking maybe it wouldn't be that bad, and immediately having someone type the n word in caps just as the countdown timer for he lobby ended. We laughed our asses off.

Starcraft players are too busy being smugly superior about their game being hard to be toxic :) It's a waste of APM to BM!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I picked Hanzo today in comp and a teammate just quit right after, his only words before leaving "I'm done."

I didn't realize the situation was that bad with this game

wit
Jul 26, 2011

The Blue Caboose posted:

I would love to see them implement an "Overwatch" style system (CSGO has a self policing system called Overwatch. If you're a veteran player who meets several requirements then you get small ingame rewards for spectating reported players. Multiple users watch a specific game, then if an overwhelming majority agree that the suspect was cheating/griefing it hands out a ban. Players that consistently disagree with consensus are removed from the system.)

ToastyPotato posted:

I once admined a fairly large toxic as all gently caress forum and hobbled together something from konami-js. Basically I rigged the Message/edit boxes with key press based easter-egg audio files of a friend screaming the instant some kid typed something edgy they wouldn't say in real life. "HEY EVERYBODY I'M SAYING N***ER ON THE INTERNET! N***ER N***ER N***ER!" would suddenly blast from their speakers. Basically what I'm saying is that I am a completely well balance individual who should totally be employed by blizzard to curb toxic behavior in their children's game.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
i'd probably ref for blizzcash between matches if such a thing was available

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

frajaq posted:

I picked Hanzo today in comp and a teammate just quit right after, his only words before leaving "I'm done."

I didn't realize the situation was that bad with this game

if he didn't quit after the minute or so game ending grace period then he did it all wrong

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

The Blue Caboose posted:

Starcraft players are too busy being smugly superior about their game being hard to be toxic :) It's a waste of APM to BM!
Guessing you don't play Protoss

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

No Wave posted:

Guessing you don't play Protoss

To be totally fair I haven't gone deep into competitive SC2 since like... WoL beta... so I'm probably wrong.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

With Starcraft (and SC2) the highest level of competition was normally 1v1, so if you got mad after being shat on the friendly Starcraft Ghost (not that one) would whisper one simple phrase in your ear when you went to assign blame:

...it's u...

Now, if profanity in Starcraft was what you wanted, just join a 7v1 compstomp, untick the little 'allied victory' box, and wait.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm in there midst of a significant losing streak over about five days. Haven't gotten angry about it and I'm blaming it 100% on lovely teenagers on summer break. Today I was working just a few minutes from my house and took my lunch break at home. I played one round while u after my lunch and it was the worst game of Overwatch I've ever experienced. It was me, a team of two, and a team of three. Before we even spawned the two teams were already poo poo talking each other's hero choices. Once we had a McCree, Genji, Tracer, and Reaper locked in the poo poo really started to fly because we had no tanks or healers at that point. Everyone was verbally pissed off about the lack of tanks and healers but none of the DPS was willing to switch. The kid who still hasn't picked went with Lucio and I went with Orissa.

We defended on Gibraltar and got steam rolled into oblivion. Nonone worked together, not even the people queueing together. Then the duo turned on each other. Then the trio turned on each other. I asked if we could get another healer or tank and immediately two people told me my dick was small.

It got even worse after that but it's not worth going into details. However this match was the worse match I've ever played, by far, the behavior of my team is characteristic of most matches I've played since mid-June. If I hear a teen aged boys voice in voice chat, especially coming from Genji, I simply want to leave the match because it's never anything other than a cluster gently caress of a team that turns on each other instantly.

At the end of the match I had gold eliminations, damage, and objective time and my team told me I was awful because I died too many times tanking, despite relying on a Lucio who spent all his time trying to flank the other team. I reported everyone on my team and spent the rest of my lunch break chilling with my cats.

I think I'm done with this game until school starts in a month because the toxic bullshit they bring to the game is unacceptable and Blizzard seems content to let poo poo heads rule the day.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pretty crazy how they knew the size of your dick.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

RCarr posted:

Pretty crazy how they knew the size of your dick.

That's what I thought!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
the only way to beat the toxicity is to throw your headphones in the trash, turn off the voice coms, and pick whatever the gently caress you want to play and do whatever you want to during the game.

Just use the sit emote in front of the enemy spawn if the game is going to poo poo and see if you can make friends on the other team.

you will have a good time once you stop caring.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I used to get extremely angry after a lovely game, after I got a grasp of how PC fps games worked (overwatch was my first... And I'm 'old') and was starting to get better, beginning my climb out of dumpster tier. I never really voiced this on chat but it wasn't reasonable in the slightest.

Now I have very little tendency to tilt hard but rather just feel disappointed after a bad game, and think what I could have done to turn the tides. I don't know if that's the right way to handle it but I can definitely tell I play better if I go another game or two after getting curb stomped. I won't get on someone about a hero pick just tell the team to believe in them, and if it's not working for that player it seems being positive during setup GENERALLY gets them to swap off pretty quickly.

Will agree this has been a tough season with leavers, flat out trolls, and smurfs but hey, it's summer. I'm still having fun playing this cartoony shooter so it's all good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Just turn voice down to 0. Maybe it'll hurt your performance, maybe you'll be 200 sr below where you "belong" or whatever. I don't think that matters in the long run.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Wildtortilla posted:

Haven't gotten angry about it

Sounds like it!

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm blaming it 100% on

Think I found the problem.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
tfw when you solo D.Va, Soldier, and Widow in 3v3 elim as Ana because your team died immediately to headshots and they're left in awe of you :discourse:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Besesoth posted:

Sounds like it!

Think I found the problem.

When 5/6 teammates don't do anything except call each other human being, troll each other, and yell racial slurs into the mic I'm confident in saying, "my teammates are the reason we lost."

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

When 5/6 teammates don't do anything except call each other human being, troll each other, and yell racial slurs into the mic I'm confident in saying, "my teammates are the reason we lost."

6 of your enemies are doing the same thing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
As someone who gets tilted alongside his team, don't do that. Stay calm no matter how horrible your team is being and you'll still have a chance. Always remember, if you are always calm and not tilting that only leaves 5 possible toxic teammates, while the other team has 6.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Yea I don't disagree with that, I don't participate in the tilt or the throw. I play the best I can and encourage teammates to do the same. I throw out praise for sweet plays whenever they happen and if people are playing poorly I'm not a dick to them.

What bothers me is the increasing toxicity of the player base, especially the unwillingness to cooperate in comp. Lately comp feels no different than quick play from what matchmaking has been giving me and that is disappointing.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, I hit diamond and then just kinda went: "gently caress it"

like I mentioned before, everyone's leaving. they might come back to kick the tires on DF, but that won't be long

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

like I mentioned before, everyone's leaving. they might come back to kick the tires on DF, but that won't be long
I hope this is true. Blizz gives free poo poo when people stop playing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I hope the shitters actually leave rather than sticking around and ruining games.

I've got tons of people I talk to and the top 500/high GM dudes aren't really noticing it, but everyone low gm and under are saying that it feels worse this season barring one lucio main who's constantly blazed anyway.

Granted people might have said that every season so :shrug:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Wildtortilla posted:

In a single game, maybe, but you're not magically getting paired with terrible toxic players while your opponents aren't over a five-day losing streak. If you're seeing toxicity and refusal to play as a team, the red team is too, and the difference is how the individual players on each side adapt to the situation.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Besesoth posted:

In a single game, maybe, but you're not magically getting paired with terrible toxic players while your opponents aren't over a five-day losing streak. If you're seeing toxicity and refusal to play as a team, the red team is too, and the difference is how the individual players on each side adapt to the situation.

I don't disagree with anything you said. My point is I'm disappointed that I'm experiencing an upward trend in the number of poo poo heads in the game. I've been playing since day one and have dealt with dumb losing streaks plenty of times, that happens, but the quality of people in my games, both on my team and the other team, seems to be at an all time low.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
put minors in their own queue

oh right it's called bronze and silver

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Kassoon posted:

put minors in their own queue

oh right it's called bronze and silver

:catstare:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
today someone called me an unlimited hp tracer because i was able to survive on the point with multiple enemies there for way too long and they couldn't kill me before i could recall again, this was by a guy playing genji with like 100 hours in him

i have 10 hours with tracer, he was just not a good genji

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I wish they would make a comp mode where you can say you don't want to play with people under a certain age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Nullsmack posted:

I wish they would make a comp mode where you can say you don't want to play with people under a certain age.