Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Did you know Fail Army has a television show? I hit re-scan on my antenna a while back and they've got a weekly show on the TBD network: http://tbd.com/shows/587d528a42f0b200066d6e1f

TBD also shows the the Magic The Gathering show Spellslingers and multiple Wil Wheaton shows like Titans Grave and Tabletop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

spog posted:

While I get your point, I'd hate to be in a job where every single thing I did and said throughout my working day were recorded and stored for years.

Not just every time I took a dump and a piss, but every moan, bitch and joke I shared with anyone.

Yeah the restroom thing is the hardest logistical hurdle. Especially since any cop can say they forgot to turn it back on after the rest room.

Maybe only a snooze button for 3 minutes and it beeps at 15 seconds left so you can re-snooze or not. Automatic termination if you use it during an interaction with the public.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You're telling me there's multiple Wil Wheaton shows?

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Inco posted:

More cop schadenfreude: any cases involving these three chucklefucks just got a whole lot harder for the prosecution

https://twitter.com/justin_fenton/status/887504546074939393

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBs455jwb8w

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
http://i.imgur.com/0omjKtA.mp4

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If cops don't want to be recorded on the shitter, they can blame their kin for having a rich enough history of misconduct that they can't be trusted otherwise.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah the restroom thing is the hardest logistical hurdle. Especially since any cop can say they forgot to turn it back on after the rest room.

Maybe only a snooze button for 3 minutes and it beeps at 15 seconds left so you can re-snooze or not. Automatic termination if you use it during an interaction with the public.

If they dont arrest anyone, abuse anyone or execute any unarmed black teenagers while using the toilet then the footage of them using the toilet will never been seen by anyone. If they do any of those things then you want the bodycam recording. Its not like anyone has the manpower to watch every second of every day of every officer, that surely only gets reviewed when there is a complaint/arrest/another dead black kid in the street. Bottom line is if you put up a blue wall, well thats gonna need some loving windows knocked into it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

Also have it keep a record of how many times the button was pressed with time-stamps. It would cut down on the "must have malfunctioned" claims.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The obvious answer to me is to record and store everything, absolutely everything, but have it all put on encrypted offline storage* that can only be accessed by court order. And attorneys can't go on fishing expeditions - they have to specify "from 11:06:30 to 11:14:56" when asking the court for access to the recordings, with justification ("the alleged shooting took place at 11:08:30, as attested by these witnesses").
The time you spent in the toilet and kvetching about the boss is on tape, but it can never be accessed unless something /happened/ while you were doing that.

* Hell, give the encryption key to the courts. The police department literally can't access the recordings without a signoff from a judge. (Plus this makes them impossible to edit)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I mean sure but no amount of planned checks and balances will convince officer Peterson that Steve from IT isn't watching his poop videos

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Ak Gara posted:

We've recently had 100 cameras installed all over the facility where I work. I can't even scratch my nuts or pull my underwear out my rear end crack without playing Metal loving Gear Solid trying to find a blind spot. But hey thefts are down!

You work for Sebben & Sebben?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaQ-uawJQ-M

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

The real problem is that police officers have control over when the body cam is and isn't recording.

Unless I misunderstand something, a body cam has to be constantly recording to be able to save 30 seconds of footage before the activation. It probably works like a dashcam constantly recording and automatically deleting everything the operator doesn't want to keep.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Taking bets on how this gif ends!

http://i.imgur.com/oDHJQW5.mp4

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Memento posted:

The schadenfreude is on the entire non-Police world that you can't make a police officer, who shot an unarmed person because they were possibly startled by fireworks, make a statement about it.

Lousy 5th amendment! :argh:

quote:

And if a civilian shot someone and was refusing to talk, they'd be in remand without bail, so if you're going to apply the same logic to police, that's where this officer should be.

No, you don't get remanded without bail because you didn't make a statement. That'd be blatantly unconstitutional. Bail isn't contingent on making a statement. Yes, I agree that cops should be held to a higher standard, and I would totally be fine with *firing* him, but forcing cops to talk isn't any better an idea than forcing civilians to talk. If for no other reason than saying to everyone "Hey, everybody, if you choose to be a cop you give up fundamental constitutional rights" then the selection of people who are eager to be police officers would probably be even shittier.

As for the body cameras, the cameras carried by the Minneapolis PD *are* of the always-on type. They record to a 30-second buffer and continually overwrite that buffer, until the 'activate' button is pressed, at which point they stop overwriting and record permanently, including the contents of the 30-second buffer.

Minneapolis PD policy is that cops are supposed to hit the button before getting into any situation that might involve the use of force, including routine stops. And if there is a use of force, they're supposed to activate the camera as soon as it's safe to do so.

These cops didn't activate the camera at all, so the 30-second buffer which might have contained important evidence was just overwritten. I'd be totally fine with firing them on the basis of that violation alone.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Should they have turned on their cameras after they shot the woman? It supposedly happened in seconds and I think they had other concerns at the time. Aren't there the car dashcams recording as well or do they manually turn those on?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mu Zeta posted:

Should they have turned on their cameras after they shot the woman? It supposedly happened in seconds and I think they had other concerns at the time.

Yes, they should have. Both because it's the policy that you activate the camera after a use of force as soon as it's safe for you to do so, and because it would have preserved the 30 seconds of recording *prior* to the button being pushed, so it would have recorded the shoot. Yes, they had other concerns at the time, but the button press literally takes a moment and "following policy" is something that cops should always be doing regardless of their other concerns. If you can't handle doing that, then being a cop probably isn't for you and I'm okay with firing you.

quote:

Aren't there the car dashcams recording as well or do they manually turn those on?

Most dashcams turn on when the emergency lights or sirens are activated. As this was just a woman talking to the cops by the side of their car, they probably hadn't done that. Minneapolis PD has not so far stated why the dashcam didn't capture anything, just that it didn't.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

The Lone Badger posted:

The obvious answer to me is to record and store everything, absolutely everything, but have it all put on encrypted offline storage* that can only be accessed by court order. And attorneys can't go on fishing expeditions - they have to specify "from 11:06:30 to 11:14:56" when asking the court for access to the recordings, with justification ("the alleged shooting took place at 11:08:30, as attested by these witnesses").
The time you spent in the toilet and kvetching about the boss is on tape, but it can never be accessed unless something /happened/ while you were doing that.

* Hell, give the encryption key to the courts. The police department literally can't access the recordings without a signoff from a judge. (Plus this makes them impossible to edit)

With this you now also get into issues of who is the custodian of the data and who pays for this? The amount of footage from all the officers in a department from just one day would be pretty massive, especially if you're storing all of it. That kind of storage grows fast and isn't cheap, now you have to either build a data storage system or contract with a third party vendor, both of which cost money that a lot of courts and police departments don't have. If it's in house you now either have to have someone full time managing the system and processing data requests, which again costs money a lot of these places either don't have or would have other priorities to spend it on. You're also adding another separate workload to the court system which in a lot of places is already overloaded. I'm not saying this isn't a good idea or that it's not something important we need to try and find a solution to, just that it's an extremely difficult situation and it would be just as difficult to get multiple civic departments to agree to how to do this and how to maintain it and fund it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://twitter.com/papitsot/status/887664467466752000

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

This one had all the tick marks
1) Russian on vacation (well Belarus according to translate)
2) Plastic kids' slide
3) 8' drop
4) Concrete surface in front of intended target
5) Long buildup with encouragement from friends
6) Payout

The only thing more I can say about this one is the following.

You're everything I hope for
You're everything I need
You are so beautiful to me
You are so beautiful to me

Cat Ass Trophy has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Jul 19, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Croccers posted:

His entire shtick is getting shocked/burnt.

His most recent video seems to imply that yes, while that is his shtick, the Jacob's ladder falling on him was not one of the intentional ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dd6_TghcE0

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic posted:

As for the body cameras, the cameras carried by the Minneapolis PD *are* of the always-on type. They record to a 30-second buffer and continually overwrite that buffer, until the 'activate' button is pressed, at which point they stop overwriting and record permanently, including the contents of the 30-second buffer.

Turns out the Baltimore PD uses a similar system, and this one cop was unaware of the 30-second buffer feature. As a result, he recorded himself planting drugs for a search in the 30-second interval prior to him turning on his camera to record the search itself:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-body-camera-footage-20170719-story.html

quote:

The footage is from a January drug arrest. It shows an officer placing a soup can, which holds a plastic bag, into a trash-strewn lot. The officer can then be seen walking to the street, where he flips on his body camera.

“I’m gonna go check here,” the officer says. He returns to the lot and picks up the soup can, removing a plastic bag filled with white capsules.

Whoops.

Not really schadenfreude at all: The guy he arrested on trumped-up drug charges has been in prison since January because he can't afford bail, the same cop was being used as a witness in another trial *after* this video came to light without the BPD informing anyone that the cop is a dishonest piece of poo poo, and two other officers watched him plant the drugs without saying a damned thing.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Scruff McGruff posted:

With this you now also get into issues of who is the custodian of the data and who pays for this? The amount of footage from all the officers in a department from just one day would be pretty massive, especially if you're storing all of it. That kind of storage grows fast and isn't cheap, now you have to either build a data storage system or contract with a third party vendor, both of which cost money that a lot of courts and police departments don't have. If it's in house you now either have to have someone full time managing the system and processing data requests, which again costs money a lot of these places either don't have or would have other priorities to spend it on. You're also adding another separate workload to the court system which in a lot of places is already overloaded. I'm not saying this isn't a good idea or that it's not something important we need to try and find a solution to, just that it's an extremely difficult situation and it would be just as difficult to get multiple civic departments to agree to how to do this and how to maintain it and fund it.

Dude t is super cheap compared to some wrongful death settlements and the insurance premiums thereafter.

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCM5zQJL-LA

Guy pretends to be injured by chainsaw while his mate works next to him.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ringu0 posted:

Unless I misunderstand something, a body cam has to be constantly recording to be able to save 30 seconds of footage before the activation. It probably works like a dashcam constantly recording and automatically deleting everything the operator doesn't want to keep.

Do you not understand my point from the context or are you being obtuse?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Dude t is super cheap compared to some wrongful death settlements and the insurance premiums thereafter.

I don't disagree but you have to put your IT stuff in your budget proposal, unlike potential legal settlements. Suddenly a city council is huffing and puffing about why your budget is suddenly so much bigger than last year and you have to try and explain the cost/benefit of something IT related which tends to be notoriously difficult (especially, in my experience, to people at higher levels of local governments). Then they tell you "ok, you can spend X on this but we're not giving you the extra money for it, you have to cut X from elsewhere in your budget" which has already been shrinking every year since the recession hit and now you're looking at having to cut fleet maintenance or training for officers or even the number of officers you employ and you find that it's easier to just not try the IT thing. Spending any amount of time in a city department budget meeting is enough to make most people look for the sweet release of death to take them away.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

JUST increase the budget

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Make it a federal program and require all police departments to comply on threat of loss of federal funding.

Bam.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

oldpainless posted:

JUST increase the budget

If you're going to increase the budget, maybe you use the money to hire more cops, or better cops to replace the dumb ones you fire. Maybe those are more effective ways to spend money on policing than a permanent archive of video 99.9999% of which contains nothing useful or evidentiary.

Aerdan posted:

Make it a federal program and require all police departments to comply on threat of loss of federal funding.

Bam.

Bam, the police departments sue and are victorious in court because it's well-established that that'd be an unconstitutional violation of the 10th amendment. The Trump administration can't require sanctuary cities to enforce Federal immigration law, either, for the exact same reason.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/28/opinion/trump-cant-withhold-funds-from-sanctuary-cities.html

Also see Printz v. United States.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Jul 19, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Guy tries to brake check a semi. Turn off your sound, the audio is horrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mavX5Ksi_Q

Someone at a club pisses into a glass and leaves it on a random person's table. Somewhat :nws: (unless you work for the Trump administration)
https://twitter.com/kera_johnson/status/886535906311667712

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Twitter suspends own support account (at time of writing, it is still suspended).

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Phanatic posted:

If you're going to increase the budget, maybe you use the money to hire more cops, or better cops to replace the dumb ones you fire. Maybe those are more effective ways to spend money on policing than a permanent archive of video 99.9999% of which contains nothing useful or evidentiary.
yah, because that's worked out super so far :ironicat:

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

more like old penniless

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Aerdan posted:

Twitter suspends own support account (at time of writing, it is still suspended).
that's not the support account though :confuoot: (it's @twittersupport)

https://twitter.com/nath_kai/status/887689484208394240

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, things like more money for training or better incentives to attract better hire candidates can also be hugely beneficial to improving a crappy department. The problem is even more compounded when you have departments that, again, have had budgets getting slashed for almost a decade because of the recession so they're already scraping to make ends meet and can't afford things they already need like vests for officers or have a fleet of dying vehicles that need to be replaced because they can't afford to maintain them.

I think bodycams are a great tool that can make a big difference in police accountability, I just want to highlight that there's a whole lot of reasons why something that seems like a simple solution is actually very difficult to implement.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Scruff McGruff posted:

I just want to highlight that there's a whole lot of reasons why something that seems like a simple solution is actually very difficult to implement.
I'd expect the Crime Dog to have a good knowledge of police department budgets and difficulties.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
If cops want me to feel bad about their shrinking budgets they should probably stop bragging about all the money they steal through civil forfeiture and using it to buy military equipment.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

If cops don't want to be recorded on the shitter, they can blame their kin for having a rich enough history of misconduct that they can't be trusted otherwise.

Maybe if they know there's footage of them on the pooper they'll stop forgetting their guns in the bathroom.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

If cops want me to feel bad about their shrinking budgets they should probably stop bragging about all the money they steal through civil forfeiture and using it to buy military equipment.

It's really neat having a set of people in my life that say that cops are awful because of civil asset forfeiture, yet hold them up to paragons of unquestionable justice non-white civilian menacing thug or terrorist is shot to death unprovoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A little old but still good. Seattle artist makes "ironic" nazi art and the art scene eats it up, making him hundreds of thousands of dollars. Turns out he wasn't being ironic, he's just a big nazi piece of poo poo who likes to trick people into buying his nazi fanfiction.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/charles-krafft-and-the-conundrum-of-nazi-art