Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Get u a birel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ya but I could get a motorbike and squeeze another year out of this chassis. Both options are tempting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

Ya but I could get a motorbike and squeeze another year out of this chassis. Both options are tempting.

In this thread, 1500 continues his obsession with temperamental motorcraft.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Sell that pcr for 500 bucks and get you some 206 tires.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

iospace posted:

Don't we all?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

Nothing will ever be as temperamental as the pre-rebuild rotary or the two stroke engine. Owning a motorbike is going to be like going on a holiday.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

1500quidporsche posted:

Nothing will ever be as temperamental as the pre-rebuild rotary or the two stroke engine. Owning a motorbike is going to be like going on a holiday.

Oh god bless you my sweet summer child.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Interesting...

https://twitter.com/RacingLines/status/887731909794705413

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Norns posted:

Don't we all?

That reminds me, my Bonneville needs...everything fixed.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Reminder that I said we should all stfu and take what we were given.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

iospace posted:

You should see him in AI occasionally.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Here's the FIAs statement:

FIA posted:

For the first time, all teams competing in the FIA Formula One World Championship were present at the meeting with observers from Renault Sport Formula One Team, Scuderia Toro Rosso, Sauber F1 Team and Haas F1 Team in attendance.

Key topics discussed at the meeting included:

Frontal cockpit protection

Following the unanimous agreement of the Strategy Group, in July 2016, to introduce additional frontal protection for Formula One and the repeated support from the drivers, the FIA confirms the introduction of the Halo for 2018. With the support of the teams, certain features of its design will be further enhanced.

Having developed and evaluated a large number of devices over the past five years, it had become clear that the Halo presents the best overall safety performance.

2021 Power Unit

An update was given to all attendees regarding the two recent extraordinary meetings held in Paris involving significant representation from the bulk of global motor sport power unit manufacturers.

Further analysis will be completed over the summer which will be reviewed at the next meeting of the Strategy Group in September.

Cost control

A new approach to cost control was presented and received unanimous support. A dedicated Working Group made up of representation from the Commercial Right Holders, the FIA and the teams will be tasked to come up with innovative solutions aimed at ensuring the sport remains sustainable in the coming years.

Improving the show

A number of sporting measures aimed at improving the show were also debated and specific studies will be carried out to assess these.

http://www.fia.com/news/f1-strategy-group-meeting-fia-confirms-halo-system-use-2018-fia-formula-one-world-championship

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

It's been fun, F1 :byewhore:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Hell, I'd contemplate quitting too if I was HAM.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Fauxhawk Express posted:

It's been fun, F1 :byewhore:

Personally I liked the look of the shields better, they fit more with the lines of the car. We'll get used to it like anything else though.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I don't care how it looks as long as the cars still go fast.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I actually don't mind the halo and think it will be fine when it's integrated into the livery

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

You should see him in AI occasionally.

Ya I don't post there as much after the whole "let's unironically fundraise cash for a vacation for a meth head, he's definitely telling the truth that he's clean and poo poo constantly breaking from him loving around with it is a coincidence." thing.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

pik_d posted:

Personally I liked the look of the shields better, they fit more with the lines of the car. We'll get used to it like anything else though.

A big reason I quit following F1 about 5 or 6 years ago was how hideously ugly the cars were, and I gave it another shot this year because of the new regs. I couldn't give much of a gently caress about how the engines sound, but aesthetics are a huge part of it for me.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

I actually don't mind the halo and think it will be fine when it's integrated into the livery

We got used to dick noses, we'll get used to this. I think like dicknoses though the cars won't age well.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I don't want a loving thong on the front of race cars.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I'm reminded of oldschool E/N threads what with people hurling advice at 1500 and 1500 responding with "my kart is really slow but I think if I use blu-tack to hold my chassis together for a year I could buy a terrible bike! :v:"

Does anyone have the "guys stop pissing in the well" cartoon to hand?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
With Sebastian Vettel on the loose the other cars need as much protection as they can get... wouldn't surprise me if the FIA makes armored chassis mandatory

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

pik_d posted:

Personally I liked the look of the shields better, they fit more with the lines of the car.

Same here. Too bad the shield didn't work.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'd also like to remind everyone that F1 cars have generally been unattractive going on 2 decades now. I liked how the psychotic the aero cars of 06-08 looked but you could hardly call them beautiful.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

NtotheTC posted:

I'm reminded of oldschool E/N threads what with people hurling advice at 1500 and 1500 responding with "my kart is really slow but I think if I use blu-tack to hold my chassis together for a year I could buy a terrible bike! :v:"

Does anyone have the "guys stop pissing in the well" cartoon to hand?

Sorry you don't understand humor my friend.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Human Grand Prix posted:

Same here. Too bad the shield didn't work.

I thought it was just that Seb cried about them for no reason so the FIArrari made sure they didn't end up happening?????

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Sorry you don't understand humor my friend.

Sorry YOU don't

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Racing is all about poor decisions.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Racing is all about poor decisions.

Is this why people think Ferrari is a good team?

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
At least Max won't be the ugliest thing in F1 now.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Racing itself it pretty dumb. Basically everybody aside from very few people make money. In my time attack league people spend $8-$9k on shocks and suspension to win a $1000 rebate on tires.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Brainwrong posted:

At least Max won't be the ugliest thing in F1 now.

Savage.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

pik_d posted:

I thought it was just that Seb cried about them for no reason so the FIArrari made sure they didn't end up happening?????

p much

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

Ya I don't post there as much after the whole "let's unironically fundraise cash for a vacation for a meth head, he's definitely telling the truth that he's clean and poo poo constantly breaking from him loving around with it is a coincidence." thing.

Wait lmbo what happened? I seriously haven't been outside this thread on SA since I discovered its existence. Which is embarrassing to admit.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
What bike is he buying? Is it an awful one?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress formula 1

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What happened to Tony, anyway? His probation ended, did he not give enough of a poo poo to come back?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ilmucche posted:

What happened to Tony, anyway? His probation ended, did he not give enough of a poo poo to come back?

Overdose RIP Tony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What bike is he buying? Is it an awful one?

I wanted to get a Ducati but the what bike should I buy thread thought that was a bad first bike. I'm open to suggestions.

Realistically it's going to be whatever I find used that's in decent shape for $3-5k.

• Locked thread