Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

How common should Greater Demons be in terms of battlefield presence? Would an army have several in the field, or would they generally be the ones leading an army to attack a city?

Is there any precedent for "Suddenly, TEN BLOODTHIRSTERS!!!" for example?

They're lords. Generally you only ever see one around in a horde and that's when everything's going full apocalypse, mind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NewMars posted:

They're lords. Generally you only ever see one around in a horde and that's when everything's going full apocalypse, mind you.

I maintain that a neat idea for the Khorne faction in TW3 would be a meter like the waaagh or bray-herd or whatever, except instead of another army following you around, it's Skarbrand.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

How common should Greater Demons be in terms of battlefield presence? Would an army have several in the field, or would they generally be the ones leading an army to attack a city?

Only time i can remember 10 bloodthirsters turning up was in 40k and Angron's honour guard on Armageddon.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

They're a big deal. Generally speaking you'd only see one, maybe two greater demons leading an army. Aenarion the greatest high elf warrior ever went down after killing four greater demons.

The all time record however goes to Lord Kroak who took twelve bloodthirsters down with him defending Itza

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm actually optimistic for the next 2 games. I'd never read or played Warhammer before this game and it was a pleasant surprise

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'm actually optimistic for the next 2 games. I'd never read or played Warhammer before this game and it was a pleasant surprise

It helps that TW and Warhammer were made for each other and the CA dev team actually appreciates the craziness.

Like even TW's inability to really have meaningful diplomacy works out perfect here because diplomacy is just a means to stab more elves.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 19, 2017

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Despite the stupid discussion on the Fimir earlier, I'm thrilled they're coming to the game, I still remember my first encounter with them in Heroquest during my lunchtime at school way back when.. Totally unpainted and grey compared to this example, but this is like stirring up old memories, thanks CA!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So I've been toying around with the Dwarven Campaign because I like their aesthetic, and I got a few questions:

1. Is there a way to save an army's formation from battle to battle, so I don't start with my line spread out?

2. Quarrelers standing in front of infantry-I get the idea is that Quarrelers have the first opportunity to shoot at approaching armies and the infantry marches through them before the enemy can reach your ranks. But does that work out in practice, or is the computer being a big dumb idiot?

3. Since I built my computer 2 years ago this is the first game to tell me that I have low graphics memory. Also it takes a long time to load up a battle-not so long that I want to tear my hair out, but long enough to notice. What's the recommended specs for TW:WH, and is 2 going to be the same or require a beefier system?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Miruvor posted:

Despite the stupid discussion on the Fimir earlier, I'm thrilled they're coming to the game, I still remember my first encounter with them in Heroquest during my lunchtime at school way back when.. Totally unpainted and grey compared to this example, but this is like stirring up old memories, thanks CA!

Oh man I had completely forgotten about Heroquest! That brings back some memories...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Quarrelers have a good arc on their shots and I just put mine behind my line troops. Thunderers I put either on the flanks or shooting between the gaps of your melee units.

Remember that all dwarf melee infantry and lords have charge defense vs large, which really helps mitigate a lot of nasty enemy's initial attack. However the AI is clever in that it will seldom attack these guys head-on but you can account for this as well.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

botany posted:

Oh man I had completely forgotten about Heroquest! That brings back some memories...

Yep, it's been over 20 years I think. Picked up an Orc figurine and went "Wow, these green dudes seem alright in my book!", and was a fan since.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Panfilo posted:

Quarrelers have a good arc on their shots and I just put mine behind my line troops. Thunderers I put either on the flanks or shooting between the gaps of your melee units.

Remember that all dwarf melee infantry and lords have charge defense vs large, which really helps mitigate a lot of nasty enemy's initial attack. However the AI is clever in that it will seldom attack these guys head-on but you can account for this as well.

Note, Dwarf Warriors don't have charge defense against large. Longbeards do though and I forget if Ironbreakers do or not.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

So I've been toying around with the Dwarven Campaign because I like their aesthetic, and I got a few questions:

1. Is there a way to save an army's formation from battle to battle, so I don't start with my line spread out?

2. Quarrelers standing in front of infantry-I get the idea is that Quarrelers have the first opportunity to shoot at approaching armies and the infantry marches through them before the enemy can reach your ranks. But does that work out in practice, or is the computer being a big dumb idiot?

3. Since I built my computer 2 years ago this is the first game to tell me that I have low graphics memory. Also it takes a long time to load up a battle-not so long that I want to tear my hair out, but long enough to notice. What's the recommended specs for TW:WH, and is 2 going to be the same or require a beefier system?

1. Unfortunately you cannot save battle formations, I hope it's something they look at in the future. I think the Warhammer series in particular could benefit from it greatly because of the unit variation.

2. Personally I always park my Quarrellers behind my line, or in between using the checkerboard formaton (I think this is explained in the OP, it is especially effective with Thunderers). You may get an extra volley or two of with your Quarrellers in the front but I feel like pulling them through too late messes up formations, and they fire over your melee line easily anyways. I'm not the best player though, it may be a preferential thing.

3. Check the recommended specs on the Steam page. Graphical settings aside, getting yourself an SSD reduces load times drastically. I can't imagine playing Warhammer without one, invest in an SSD.

blindwoozie fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 19, 2017

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Zore posted:

Note, Dwarf Warriors don't have charge defense against large. Longbeards do though and I forget if Ironbreakers do or not.

I'm pretty sure normal (shielded) dwarf warriors have Charge defence against something at least, and I know that Ironbreakers have Charge defence against All.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Zore posted:

Dwarf Warriors with Great Weapons don't have Charge Defense against Large (i.e. things horse-sized or bigger). The quick & dirty rule is that if a dwarf melee unit has a shield, then it has some kind charge defense.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Has anyone tried the Formations mod? It gives units various formations, with Empire/Brettonia/Dwarves getting the most and Orcs getting the fewest. They seem modeled after the Brettonian wedge formation ability, though many of them seem kind of overpowered.

I'm using SFO, Formations, and Brutal Battles and it is a lot of fun. Cavalry feel a lot more effective with this combination, though I might not enjoy it as much vs chariot spam or hordes of enemy cavalry. However, because Brutal Battles allows unit collision to happen closer, I'm drooling at the thought of dumping mortars and rockets on clumps of enemy infantry.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Triskelli posted:

Dwarf Warriors with Great Weapons don't have Charge Defense against Large (i.e. things horse-sized or bigger). The quick & dirty rule is that if a dwarf melee unit has a shield, then it has some kind charge defense.

The one exception to this (that they changed with a patch) is that Greatweapon Longbeards do have Charge Defense vs large even though they don't have a shield. This makes them fun to use as an anti-heavy Cavalry unit that can face-tank a charge and do armor piercing damage back.

Hilariously, Slayers also have Charge defense Vs Large but they have a good charge bonus themselves so there's seldom reason you wouldn't want them to kamikaze themselves into something big and nasty. Though since they lack armor, having the charge defense actually mitigates an enormous amount of damage if it works.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
https://steamdb.info/app/364360/dlc/

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ayyyyyyy

Excellent catch. Even though I'm not a VC fan, it's still excellent to know that crusty old gently caress will finally have his bestie.

EDIT: VV dude below is right though. VC are kinda spoiled for choices.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 19, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Man Empire could really have used some of the FLC instead of loving everything going to VC. They're the only original faction with only 3 LLs still.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
The next big update is going to include content for every current WH race, according to Rich from CA, based on his reddit posts from the past day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/6nsn6t/comment/dkdcy6k?st=J5BBKWPK&sh=397bbd1c

(On phone so hopefully that worked)

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
If Krell is a Legendary Lord, rather than something that could help Kemmler (such as a unique Wight King with power akin to that of the Green Knight, and could help people other than Kemmler) I'm gonna be really weirded out. I'm not saying it would be a bad thing, just a really weird thing.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Stephen9001 posted:

If Krell is a Legendary Lord, rather than something that could help Kemmler (such as a unique Wight King with power akin to that of the Green Knight, and could help people other than Kemmler) I'm gonna be really weirded out. I'm not saying it would be a bad thing, just a really weird thing.

They should do a Krell / Kemmler start where you get bonuses to reinforce each other like Vlad and Isabella.

If you got Krell turn two Kemmler might even be worth picking.

Sure, neither is as good as a vampire riding a zombie dragon but you get both of them.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Sole Survivor posted:

The next big update is going to include content for every current WH race, according to Rich from CA, based on his reddit posts from the past day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/6nsn6t/comment/dkdcy6k?st=J5BBKWPK&sh=397bbd1c

Regiments of Renown maybe?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sole Survivor posted:

Black Orcs with shield and hand weapon official, please.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Miruvor posted:

Same on Heroquest. Except me and my friends would use mini wrestling figurines to create new monsters.

Hopefully CA will add a giant Hulk Hogan with 1 hand and an eye patch drawn on to match my personal warhammer canon

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Regiments of Renown maybe?

That seems quite likely. Those take relatively little effort to add in and would be easy to apply to most factions. In fact, hasn't one of the devs said that Wood Elves in particular are due for some RoRs?

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

Stephen9001 posted:

CA have been very insistent over the past few months that the Old Friend DLC was not a legendary lord, so I'm expecting Krell to be the first permanent legendary hero.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

SirPhoebos posted:

It probably works fine provided you manually order your shooters to pull back. I've tried putting them on skirmish mode for this purpose, and they back away too soon.

That said, I usually keep my quarrelers in the second rank, because their firing arcs are high enough and they outrange most enemy shooters anyway. As for Thunderers, I rarely bring enough to make a wide gun line; more often I have one or two, and I end up posting them on the sides for when missile cavalry comes a-flanking. When the flanks are clear, I wheel them behind the enemy front line and start shooting dudes in the back, which is deeply satisfying.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I hope when they do get around to the Empire they do it by fleshing out and buffing all the minors so that the goal of the empire is beat/absorb all of them and get swole as gently caress as they add in things like the Nuln Artillery school, etc. basically the empire wins if it fully combines, and the goal of literally everyone else is to keep that from happening.

I feel that's pretty similar to as it is now, but I'd like the empire faction infighting to be both more unique and rewarding. More global modifiers, RoRs etc

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 19, 2017

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I don't think it's around anymore, but there as a mod that 'unlocked' certain units for the Empire as they conquered or confederated with various states. White Wolves from Middenheim, Hochland Long Rifles etc. It was a nice set of goals to shoot for early game and fluffy too.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

3. Check the recommended specs on the Steam page. Graphical settings aside, getting yourself an SSD reduces load times drastically. I can't imagine playing Warhammer without one, invest in an SSD.

I got a SSD drive but I didn't install TW:WH there. I'll change that, but if I just move the files over is that going to confuse Steam? (don't want to download the whole thing again).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Hope everyones prepared to wait for mods to update after all the changes coming.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

SirPhoebos posted:

I got a SSD drive but I didn't install TW:WH there. I'll change that, but if I just move the files over is that going to confuse Steam? (don't want to download the whole thing again).

if you right click on the game in steam, and go to the local data section, there should be a button to move the game. Steam will move it and update all of its internal refs so nothing breaks

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

there's a "move install folder" option in steam these days, i think

e:beaten

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I am trying to pick a campaign to start next and I heard these lords ( Helman Ghorst, Heinrich Kemmlr, Balthasar Gelt, Volkmar the Grim.) Were meh. Who is the best out of them?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Fat_Cow posted:

I am trying to pick a campaign to start next and I heard these lords ( Helman Ghorst, Heinrich Kemmlr, Balthasar Gelt, Volkmar the Grim.) Were meh. Who is the best out of them?

I guess that depends on what you mean by "best".

Volkmar encourages the most unique playstyle, favoring heavy flagellant armies and being an unbreakable bound spell machine when upgraded.

Gelt has a unique lore of magic (for the Empire), even if it's not that great. He's got a pretty good starting army and some good LL effects.

Ghorst has a big impact on his army, giving them all poison. Other than that, he's pretty generic but isn't a bad choice if you really want a Necromancer Lord.

Kemmler is just terrible, there is no reason to take him unless you install this mod, in which case he is great and you should never play anyone else
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=941228767

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Hope everyones prepared to wait for mods to update after all the changes coming.

One of the beautiful things about the tier 4 mod on my end is that it's all new assets so I don't have to check against patch changes 99.9% of the time. Can't say that for the big overhauls, and I've always wondered if they really ever take patch changes into consideration or just overwrite them with their modded numbers and call it a day.

The bigger the overhaul, the more concerning. Radious updating his giant mod same day as the patches was a big red flag to me.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 19, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Radious gets advance notice of all the data changes since his mod is big and has lots of exposure. I wish the same could be said of Steel Faith's; I usually have to wait weeks to play SFO again after a big patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I don't get why Krell can't be a Legendary Hero. Legendary Heroes would make a lot of sense, you could have others like Josef Bugman and probably a bunch of Empire Heroes I'm not familiar with get thrown in. Give them unique skill trees or maybe even unique questlines that function similarly to Legendary Lords.

This also helps tie in Lords that are meant to team up with certain heroes; one of Kemmler's questlines could give him access to Krell, for example, compared to other Lords that wouldn't have this opportunity. Much like the Green Knight, if the Hero was formidible enough either strategically or tactically then it would be fun to have an uber-Hero wrecking face compared to the rather generic counterparts you see.

• Locked thread