Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Tobias is in trouble this time.

Dooper also misread his business card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

zelah posted:

Is this a British thing? I noticed the Diane podcast people referring to visual things as "text". Does that just mean "this specific piece of work" regardless of medium?

David Cross is not in that picture, but he is playing drums next to Moby in the band at the end.

The text is what is written explicitly, the subtext being what you read into a work without it being necessarily spelled out for you.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Tobias is in trouble this time.

One more Analrapist joins the cast.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't know about personally, but I definitely (as I've mentioned way too much already) have a chip on my shoulder about this whole "rape????? what????? man you goons are obsessed with rape!!!!!!!" thing. Seems like kind of an intellectually dishonest way of refusing to fully interact with the text as is, and people attempting to shut down valid discussion because of their own feelings that talking about this poo poo makes them uncomfortable etc. well, that's using the most hyperbolic language possible, obviously it isn't that big of a deal

And I personally am not bothered really by the Dougie sex scene, as I've mentioned, but I totally get why people would be and think it's worth discussing. As one poster mentioned, imagine that poo poo gender-flipped.

Pretty much this. I get that some people can put aside the situation to just enjoy the physical comedy, but for me I have so many friends who have been traumatized by sexual assault in "ambiguous" situations that I can't laugh at that. And I'm especially scared of anyone that is saying that it's unambiguously not rape. Because those are the sorts of people who hurt my friends.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It's unambiguously not rape because unambiguously Jane-E does not knows Dougie is empty-minded Cooper. The running joke, since the beginning, is that nobody realizes this, everyone just thinks that Dougie is a little stranger than normal.

Also, because we know that, in spite of being almost catatonic, Cooper can still defend himself (and others) if there's real danger involved. He didint felt treatened by Jane-E behavior, didnt try to stop her when she came for he, and very clearly enjoyed what she did. Is not rape

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Also Dougie was smiling A LOT in bed both during and after

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Again, if it were real life then he would be a mentally handicapped man and it would thus be rape, but the difference here is that there is literal magic involved

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SlipkPIe posted:

Again, if it were real life then he would be a mentally handicapped man and it would thus be rape, but the difference here is that there is literal magic involved

Also none of them are real people and what we see on screen is all there is to their world, so the nuance involved in a real situation like this is unapplicable. :/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok. Now gender-flip it, even with the magic and the people not getting the babyperson thing. Still feel the same way?

edit:

CJacobs posted:

Also none of them are real people and what we see on screen is all there is to their world, so the nuance involved in a real situation like this is unapplicable. :/

well this is just fuckin stupid

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Escobarbarian posted:

well this is just fuckin stupid

I'm just saying that you can't really consider the circumstances as if it is a real life situation because it's not one. I didn't think that would be a controversial statement.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So nothing in fiction can ever draw any parallels to real life, due to being fictional?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
is this guy's podcast as insufferable as his posting

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

🤔

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
gender-flipped, it's basically michael bluth and rita

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah and that show actively acknowledged that it was hosed-up

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dougie isn't retarded, he's magic

Do y'all hate Jane-e now?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"talking about rape with regards to a scene where a man who was unable to consent was had sexed on is stupid because none of it really happened idiots" - something awful dot com forum posters, 2017

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm pretty sure people are just saying that he can give consent, not that it's ok to bang someone who can't give consent

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

quadpus posted:

gender-flipped, it's basically michael bluth and rita

or Observe and Report.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Escobarbarian posted:

"talking about rape with regards to a scene where a man who was unable to consent was had sexed on is stupid because none of it really happened idiots" - something awful dot com forum posters, 2017

a fun exercise is to browse ur posts in this thread and ctrl+f "rape"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you're gonna get him all pissed off again

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
There was a time skip so we honestly don't know if this conversation occurred:

Janey: Requesting landing my bahgina on your dilznick
Dougie: You may proceed, good buddy

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm pretty sure people are just saying that he can give consent, not that it's ok to bang someone who can't give consent

This scene with these characters, in a different show or context, I think is a lot more open to debate on the rape thing. Like other posters have said, if Dougie/Coop felt threatened I'm sure he would have denied Janey-E in some way.

It's a man she's married to and has a child with, and is known to have 'episodes' that must resemble the way Cooper is acting, for everyone who knows him to not be overly concerned by his behaviour. Did Janey-E ever have sex with him when he was Dougie and had these episodes? Is that rape? Etc. There are a lot of variables on top of his lack of faculties being magical.

If it was gender flipped, but still the same context of a Cooper-like character who had already established she can defend herself if she's in danger, I would feel the same way.

That said! I have no problem with people seeing it as kind of creepy or rapey, because again the same type of thing in another show or context would be imo a lot more unambiguous on whether it's skeazy or not. If you look at the situation in black and white, without all the little grey bits surrounding it, then yeah it's a woman who has full faculties taking advantage of a man who doesn't, husband or not. I just don't see it as such in this show with what we've seen come before it. If she had hosed him the day he came back I'd be a lot more bothered.

At any rate the arguing about it is getting old. Agree to disagree imo, both views are valid.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I mean, I think it's good people react to the scene this way and want to have conversations about consent. I just think in this case it's fundamentally impossible to have a productive discussion about it, since that kind of always has to just devolve into a discussion about what the gently caress Dougie even is

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Escobarbarian posted:

That's very much not what I was saying dumbass.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

you're embarrassing yourself

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

SlipkPIe posted:

a discussion about what the gently caress Dougie even is

Mr. Jackpots

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Now, real comedy would be if he shouted "Helloooooooooow!" at the end of the sex scene.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

remusclaw posted:

Now, real comedy would be if he shouted "Helloooooooooow!" at the end of the sex scene.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

That's very much not what I was saying dumbass.

You may need to elaborate then because there's literally no other way to read a post that says "it can't be applied to real life because it's fiction" than "it can't be applied to real life because it's fiction".

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Dougie Coop is sleepwalking

DC had sex while sleepwalking

Goons :rape:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Today, Esco loses half of his subscribers.

The sex scene was presented as comedy, and was the funniest scene in the show.

HELLLLLOOOOOOO!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wet dreams are rape of yourself

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was the funniest scene so far!

Reminder I'm not the one who posted "IT WAS UNEQUIVOCALLY RAPE" and so on. I said I could see where people found issues even though I personally didn't. I'm only reacting this way because of people trying to shut down absolutely any discussion about it and acting like bringing it up at all is stupid and/or creepy. It's a David Lynch work, he's a thoughtful guy, he knew what he was doing.

It's valid to not have issues with it, but it's equally valid to see the problems and post about them. But some goons have such an issue with any discussion that might even a little bit involve something this unsavoury that they NEED to shut it down. and is dum

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

can you like, quote a post that is trying to shut down discussion?

personally, I think it's more annoying to read posts that gloss over the question of whether Dougie can give consent, present it as fact that he can't, then shame people for thinking it was funny

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

You're raping this thread with your rape discussion. I do NOT consent.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

hawowanlawow posted:

personally, I think it's more annoying to read posts that gloss over the question of whether Dougie can give consent, present it as fact that he can't, then shame people for thinking it was funny

"Dougie didn't feel threatened enough to loving karate chop Janey" doesn't immediately mean that he knew what was happening. He barely knows how to sit and piss.

Which post shamed you? Could you quote it? (I think you're both being a little bit silly, here.)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hawowanlawow posted:

I feel like all the "lol goons are so creepy why do they love rape so much??" posts are the best example. They seem to be fairly blatantly trying to shame people into not bringing it up, especially with the insinuation that the only possible way it could be interpreted like that is if someone is a rape-obsessed weirdo, which is blatantly not the case because again David Lynch is the kind of dude who understands exactly what he's doing at all times and certainly intended for there to be a mild creepy/awkward element to that scene (if more because of the way Janey's falling for him than because of the sex itself).

e: fwiw I don't like the idea that I'm making this thread especially tedious to read but I really do feel strongly (more strongly than I should, but hey, I'm a dude posting on the internet, that's like our whole thing) that this viewpoint should be defended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thanks for ruining the only decent Twin Peaks thread on the internet, guys.:thumbsup: