Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Fo3 posted:

I've broken or lost nearly every hammer I've ever bought. Lost my sledge and gympie(mini sledge), broke 3 (a wood handle claw - old one of my dads, a ball peen - supposed to be a decent minimax brand one, and a cheap panel beating hammer I was pounding on the falcon dent with.)
The only hammer I have left is a all metal ball peen hammer I made in highschool shop class in 1989
I miss my gympie

The obvious solution is to buy a TiBone so you learn some responsibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Mo hammers = mo better.

I've got a 3# steel that I love, 2# plastic dead-blow, multi-face (plastic and rubber) dead-blow, smaller brass hammer, regular claw hammer (rarely used in the garage), a tiny little ball-pien, and a short-handled 8#. The 8 doesn't come out that often, but it usually gets the job done when it does.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
That reminds me, I lost my mallets too. One was just a rubber one, the other was copper on one side and rawhide on the other.

I think people were just stealing them as I haven't lost anything other bigger than a screwdriver before :( Like maybe 2 sockets or a spanner. So where the gently caress are my hammers?
Jezza!

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 15, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've got a deadblow, a rubber/poly, a normal nail hammer/claw, a small hammer/claw, a 4# sledge and a 10# sledge. I can usually motivate _object_

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'm trying to condense in size a couple of large toolsets rolling around in my truck down to where they'll fit in a tool bag (or two). The largest set is in a big plastic case that if it were anywhere other than behind my seat, it'd be fine. Right now I need two things:

Something to store sockets and something to store wrenches.

A while back I remember someone talking about flexible socket rails that they used and I think that might be the key. Suggestions?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

QuarkMartial posted:

I'm trying to condense in size a couple of large toolsets rolling around in my truck down to where they'll fit in a tool bag (or two). The largest set is in a big plastic case that if it were anywhere other than behind my seat, it'd be fine. Right now I need two things:

A while back I remember someone talking about flexible socket rails that they used and I think that might be the key. Suggestions?

Looking for similar recommendations on socket rails in particular. My in car kit is in an army-surplus mechanics tool bag, about 11" long. The sockets are always falling off the rails.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I had the same problem for years and honestly the solution was to get a nice all in one toolset that comes in a case purpose-built to hold it. I got the kit Costco sells for $99 ($69 on sale sometimes) but I think that's discontinued. There are plenty of similar kits though--anything around 200 pieces is probably going to be good enough (like this one for example: http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Mechanics-Tool-Set-200-Piece-DWMT75000/206510555 ).

Otherwise I've tried bags but they royally suck and are a place for tools to go to die. Very hard to see inside bags and you're constantly digging around for small pieces that fall to the very bottom. Boxes are similar and get disorganized too quickly. Socket rails are nice but the ones I've gotten are really long (18"+) and don't fit in any tool bag I've seen or need a huge toolbox to hold them, and the heavy deep sockets fall right off them.

There really is no better storage container than a nice custom blow molded case to hold each part individually I've found.

I wouldn't try to carry a full wrench set either. Maybe just a few super common sizes like 10mm, 13mm, etc. A few really nice adjustable wrenches are probably all you need in 90% of situations. Otherwise a full set of wrenches gets _really_ heavy to lug around. Also a total nightmare to dig through jammed into a bag or box.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 19, 2017

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
The only issue with those toolsets is that you might be stuck with not so great quality tools or a bunch of sizes you don't need. A tool roll might be the way to go if you want to customize what you're carrying:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/socket-roll-new#/

Or this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLC-1173-Custom-Leather-Craft-32-Pocket-Socket-Tool-Roll-Up-Pouch-Organizer/271394587275

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

QuarkMartial posted:

ken of course posted it a while back and i've had it bookmarked

http://www.offroadtrailtools.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=11

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

BraveUlysses posted:

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. I have a large kit that comes in a case, but the case is too big and I'm tired of it banging around behind my seat. I've got a truck and don't mind using the built-in workbench tailgate to empty a bag out.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I designed a 3d printable socket holder "chain" a while ago, that you peeps might like.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1092384

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that's cool, you're cool

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That is pretty dang neat

To answer the question at hand, I had a trunk tool box which kept getting bigger, so I converted to a tool bag and was never really happy with the amount of sockets I could keep in there. I ended up getting the 225 piece HF tool set with molded case (sale price is $99). Pretty happy with the included sockets and ratchets. Just needs some additional extensions and a set of hex bits, imo. I keep those in my tool bag along with pliers and other hand tools.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
The other major advantage of a set with a custom case is that you can quickly tell when a tool is missing so it's harder to lose them or leave them out. With a bag it's a nightmare of wondering 'where the hell did I put that 10mm deep socket again??'.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

I had the same problem for years and honestly the solution was to get a nice all in one toolset that comes in a case purpose-built to hold it. I got the kit Costco sells for $99 ($69 on sale sometimes) but I think that's discontinued. There are plenty of similar kits though--anything around 200 pieces is probably going to be good enough (like this one for example: http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Mechanics-Tool-Set-200-Piece-DWMT75000/206510555 ).
For another one of those 200ish piece sets, I got this Crescent branded one for $78 a bit ago. The tools are all reasonable to good quality but the quality control was a bit lacking since I had to massage the anvil on the 1/2 ratchet a bit in order to actually be able to put sockets on it.
Pretty much every kit I looked at had the same problem though, I really don't need 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch socket sets for my trunk kit. Everytime I tried to price out a DIY kit it was going to be a lot more expensive to have fewer tools so I just bought one of the kits. I'm going to supplement it with some cheap vise grips (Menards clearance, $9 for a pair!) and probably a breaker bar.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

BraveUlysses posted:

I've converted all of my sockets over to these, and they hang on almost too well.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

I've converted all of my sockets over to these, and they hang on almost too well.

I bought a 3/8 version for my work toolbag. stopped using it because adding/removing sockets was a pain.

Once they are on, they stay, but for frequent use it was annoying.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I don't mind it too much, but I haven't had many chances to wrench lately.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

peepsalot posted:

I designed a 3d printable socket holder "chain" a while ago, that you peeps might like.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1092384

That is really cool. I wish I had my printer dialed in so I could get that kind of resolution.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Galler posted:

For another one of those 200ish piece sets, I got this Crescent branded one for $78 a bit ago. The tools are all reasonable to good quality but the quality control was a bit lacking since I had to massage the anvil on the 1/2 ratchet a bit in order to actually be able to put sockets on it.
Pretty much every kit I looked at had the same problem though, I really don't need 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch socket sets for my trunk kit. Everytime I tried to price out a DIY kit it was going to be a lot more expensive to have fewer tools so I just bought one of the kits. I'm going to supplement it with some cheap vise grips (Menards clearance, $9 for a pair!) and probably a breaker bar.

I've got an older version of that, doesn't have multigrips or a crescent shifter, but has more sockets I think. I got it over 15 years ago and I have no problems with the ratchets, they're very nice actually. I bought it to store in my car as I already have 1/2" and 1/4" socket sets and hand tools to use, but it's come in very handy and meant I never needed to get a good 3/8" socket set so I use it all the time now.
E: this is almost the same as the one I have. Mines a completely different case layout but the tools are the same I think. Looking at reviews people mention the newer case isn't as good (some have both the old and new to compare, others say flat out the newer case is weak)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQMLLY/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 20, 2017

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Any recommendations for the drill and countersink bits? Fed up of using 3 loving drills all the time!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

thegasman2000 posted:

Any recommendations for the drill and countersink bits? Fed up of using 3 loving drills all the time!

Not DeWalt. I used to rave about their three piece set but quality has gone in the toilet. Last two sets had bent shafts and lot of Amazon reviewers complain about the same.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Thanks for the heads up. The makita set is an amazon add on for £5

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Let us know if it's any good please.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I might personally have secured some Wera exec's quarterly bonus...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bolind posted:

I might personally have secured some Wera exec's quarterly bonus...

Nice Bahco drivers, too.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The Bahcos are nice too. I like the consistent color coding. It might be subjective, but I think they're a tiny notch below Wera in quality. Could just be because they're the ones that have seen the most action. They're also a little bit cheaper.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Are there complete sets of sockets from Wera?

I'm finding single sockets, sockets that have been grouped into a harbor freight rail, and groups of sockets with a ratchet and a driver and a bunch of screwdriver bits, but no simple socket sets.

I'd probably be looking for 1/4" and 3/8".

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

What are some good, semi-portable air compressors? There's Harbor Freight I know, but what about a Sanborn or Puma? Is the premium worth it? It'd see mostly light use, but being able to run an impact is kind of a must. On that note, I know the cordless impacts are quite powerful these days. What would you pick between the two?

There are Wera sets, and they look sweet. Check out http://www.wera.de/?L=1

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 22, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Brushless cordless impact. Makita, dewalt, Milwaukee all make good ones. A portable compressor is going to have trouble keeping up with a good air impact.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah all the 18v+ brushless impacts today have impressive amounts of torque--way more than a little compressor you lug around could manage. DeWalt has one that does 1200 _foot_ lbs breaking torque alone (1/2" drive only). The smaller 1/4 drive ones can still do around 100 foot lbs which is enough to pull off most tire lugs.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nitsuga posted:

There are Wera sets, and they look sweet. Check out http://www.wera.de/?L=1
Hmmm. I might be blind, but I can't actually find a simple socket set, just groups of sockets with a ratchet and a driver and a bunch of screwdriver bits.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Krakkles posted:

Hmmm. I might be blind, but I can't actually find a simple socket set, just groups of sockets with a ratchet and a driver and a bunch of screwdriver bits.

Not really. I bought my 3/8 set sitting on a metal rail. Fwiw, they ride on that rail in my car toolbag surrounded by other tools and I have yet to have one fall off.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Couple weeks ago, one of my dewalt 20v li-ion batteries completely died, out of the blue. I still have the receipt, was 2.5 yrs into a 3 yr warranty. I called the warranty line last Friday, expecting them to ask for a copy of the receipt, and maybe have to ship or take the battery to an authorized service center.

Nope. 5 minute conversation, they got the numbers off the battery, my name and address, and said a new battery would ship out via UPS. It came in the mail on Wednesday. I'm very happy with their customer service and warranty.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'm happy with what Milwaukee says about their warranty. I've heard that it's the case, no paperwork required, no bullshit registration process (Ryobi and Ridgid, I'm looking at you).

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/support/milwaukee-warranty posted:

Date code of tool will be used to determine if product is within warranty period

Copy of invoice or bill of sale will be required for warranty verification if date code is over warranty period

Warranty Registration is not necessary to obtain the applicable warranty on a Milwaukee Tool® product

Has anyone gone through Makita for warranty service?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Milwaukee warranty is really great. I've used it twice on my heavily abused M12 ratchet and a battery. We use Ridgid 18v at work and it's sort of in this inverse 3 little bears state of sort of disappointing performance and unbelievably frustrating warranty process. The lifetime warranty really doesn't offset the downsides. At this point I typically just order parts from ereplacementparts.com and do repairs myself unless it's a battery issue.

e: I should qualify that. Ridgid tools are pretty okay, we just use the hell out of them. The drills strip out gearboxes and the impacts do this hilarious thing where the 2 little phillips screws that attach the hammer/gearbox to the motor loosen and then the shell of the drill cracks. Eventually the whole thing snaps in half. $9 for a new clamshell, replace some lubricant and loctite the screws back in and it's fixed in 15m.

This is a caught in time fix, the clamshell didn't actually turn into multiple pieces.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 22, 2017

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hypnolobster posted:

Milwaukee warranty is really great. I've used it twice on my heavily abused M12 ratchet and a battery. We use Ridgid 18v at work and it's sort of in this inverse 3 little bears state of sort of disappointing performance and unbelievably frustrating warranty process. The lifetime warranty really doesn't offset the downsides. At this point I typically just order parts from ereplacementparts.com and do repairs myself unless it's a battery issue.

I had to use the warranty on my Milwaukee M18 drill and I also was impressed, I sent it off and it was repaired in a day and overnighted back to me. They treated the repair as if I relied on that tool for production, not just for a weekend job.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Any recommendations on wet tile saws? I bought a cheap $89 7 inch Skil branded one for my first tiling job, but I'm looking at doing two baths, a kitchen backsplash, and possibly an entry, and at least the bathrooms will be 6"x24" tiles. For the cost of renting, I could probably buy a saw, since I'll be doing these projects over the course of a month I figure I might as well just buy a saw.

Harbor Freight 7" or 10" bridge saws are on my list, unless anybody has some awful experiences. The reviews seem decent, especially if you add a better blade and make sure to square up the fence, table, and blade. If any of the big box store ones are better, or I should consider other brands, I'd love to hear. I'll either sell the saw, or stuff it in the attic for the next tiling job after I finish my current project list.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

PitViper posted:

Any recommendations on wet tile saws? I bought a cheap $89 7 inch Skil branded one for my first tiling job, but I'm looking at doing two baths, a kitchen backsplash, and possibly an entry, and at least the bathrooms will be 6"x24" tiles. For the cost of renting, I could probably buy a saw, since I'll be doing these projects over the course of a month I figure I might as well just buy a saw.

Harbor Freight 7" or 10" bridge saws are on my list, unless anybody has some awful experiences. The reviews seem decent, especially if you add a better blade and make sure to square up the fence, table, and blade. If any of the big box store ones are better, or I should consider other brands, I'd love to hear. I'll either sell the saw, or stuff it in the attic for the next tiling job after I finish my current project list.

I've rented wet saws in the past and would recommend that by a damned lot over a Harbor Freight one. Water and HF equipment seems like a terrible idea.

I have friend that ended up buying one used off of CL, it was a better grade tool, on the rental level, and that's worked out for him. I'd recommend doing that over the HF option, too.

Most of your cuts will be on the 6" side, but for the long cuts, you'll be happy with a better tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Counterpoint: I've done a bunch of big tile and all the backsplash in our kitchen with the HF 10", borrowed from my FiL. The only thing he added was a name brand blade, the one it comes with isn't very good and had a bit of wobble. We haven't had any issues other than a clogged strainer, but that's operator error.