Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
today in wilde life, there are many puns at hand and i refuse to use any of them

e: goddammit

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 15, 2017

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Tollymain posted:

today in wilde life, there are many puns at hand and i refuse to use any of them

These randomizer romhacks suck, how are you supposed to beat the intro fight of persona 3 without an evoker

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
New Poppy's up.

Friedrich gets deader with each new update. He'll probably get curbstomped hard in the next page or two.

showed photograph of his wife/girlfriend
started main character on their training, (but they will be unprepared for the calling).
big talk of how strong he is (so the villain looks stronger when they kill him)
just revealed his ultimate form

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 15, 2017

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

New(ish) 17776 is the best and so is Jon Bois, who has always been great.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Twenty Four posted:

New(ish) 17776 is the best and so is Jon Bois, who has always been great.
That's it, isn't it? It's over already. :smith:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

PMush Perfect posted:

That's it, isn't it? It's over already. :smith:

That was really really good

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Goodnight 9, 10, Joose

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Goodnight 9, 10, Joose

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm glad it ended, and so well. I wish there was more, obviously, because this was loving incredible, but we're constantly bitching about how much webfiction utterly fails to set realistic goals for scope and how nothing serial ever wraps up in a sensibly short amount of time, so it's really refreshing to see something meet that ideal for once.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Goodnight 9, 10, Joose

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
Somehow without me noticing, Boulet has started to post videos of him drawing again:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEUh5yfCuJJSVA8VVHXdFaA
He's still amazing.
I'm especially impressed by this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3PwNYLhsX0
as he plays watercolors vs ink-drawing to create some creepy depth-of-field effect on the monster in the background.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Man, I don't know what it is exactly, but I've really been loving Scary Go Round lately. Just something about it has really been hitting the right spot over and over again.

Also I'm super glad Scout and Shelley are secret friends for reasons I can't quite explain.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

GlyphGryph posted:

Man, I don't know what it is exactly, but I've really been loving Scary Go Round lately. Just something about it has really been hitting the right spot over and over again.

Also I'm super glad Scout and Shelley are secret friends for reasons I can't quite explain.

Maybe because part of it has been making GBS threads upon Tim gloriously.

I wonder how Scout is going to take having a baby half-sister?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm sad that John has announced he's winding down Tacklefordverse but I think this arc makes for a pretty good capstone. Ryan coming to realize he's outgrown Tim is a great summary of the series' evolution.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

It's having the opposite effect on me. Shining a light on how unpleasant Tim and Shelly are, and how they keep falling upward, really makes me not want to read more about them.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I assumed Shelly drains success and fortune out of environment around her, which is why she is the nexus of major apocalyptic disasters on a regular basis. She also radiates a manic aura that naturally dulls the minds of everyone nearby.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Galvanik posted:

It's having the opposite effect on me. Shining a light on how unpleasant Tim and Shelly are, and how they keep falling upward, really makes me not want to read more about them.

I don't know that Shelley has done anything wrong here aside from "taking a man away from the woman who already threw him out," which I guess depends on how willing you are to buy into the idea that Riley is a really abusive person that Tim is better off without.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well if you don't know that the house exploding wasn't his fault, he's a dangerous inventor who needs some kind of moderating force.

Hell, a couple people even died right before Shelley took him in when he was trying to frack hell for free energy.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

While Tim is having unprotected sex with Shelly, the implication I got from this strip was that she was misleading him about being on birth control. Tim is choosing to have sex with her, so he shouldn't be surprised that she got pregnant, but it's a pretty lovely thing to do.

Riley and Tim were, or are, still married so it's an affair even if Tim got kicked out of their house. He needed a place to stay the night he got kicked out, so Tim went to stay at his supermodel millionaire friend's place. Not a move calculated to sooth his angry wife. Still, at that point as far as Shelly knew it might have just been a temporary argument and Tim and Riley could have reconciled. But her immediate choice was toss all her pills down the toilet and leap right into bed with a married man.

And I really don't like how Scout is apparently secret super besties with Shelly. It's going to come out eventually and Shelly herself believes it will really hurt Riley. So instead of being distant to the kid, she's going to make her stay wonderful and fun filled, so that Riley gets to find out that even daughter prefers being around Shelly. And what does Shelly even get out of it? The friendship of a 10 year old? I thought it was odd when all those late 20-somethings were hanging out with Esther, Eustace and the rest of the giant days cast, and they were in the last year of highschool.

Other historical instances of badness off the top of my head

-Shelly and Amy stealing a time machine from Tim and nearly causing an apocalypse in the 19th century
-Tim blinding a teacher in one eye, then letting Ryan be expelled for it
-Shelly at one point became a minion for a Bond style mad scientist. She was kidnapped, but took to it pretty quickly
-Shelly abandoning that Atlantian guy to be killed by a vengeful mob
-Shelly fomented a a revolution in Atlantis, eventually causing it to be destroyed killing tens of thousands or more.

I'm sure there's others but this comic has been going on for a decade and a half so it's been a while since I've read most of it.

Comparing that to Riley who's worst acts seem to be deciding Tim's friends are a bad influence on him, which they are; and he shouldn't be an inventor anymore, which is true he's incredibly dangerous to himself and others. I really don't get why this thread shits on her so much.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Galvanik posted:

-Tim blinding a teacher in one eye, then letting Ryan be expelled for it

I basically completely agree with you but for this specifically he went to go come clean and it turned out Ryan hadn't been expelled at all he took it as an excuse to drop out.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Huh, what I remember was Ryan took responsibility since everyone already thought he was on the wrong path, and he felt Tim had a better future to worry about while Ryan didn't expect he'd ever have more than toil, misery, and drudgery.

Tim made a half hearted effort to confess but Ryan said things to the effect of "No don't I'm worthless anyway, so what does it matter", then Tim agreed and they never spoke of it again.

Guess I forgot the way it really went down.

edit: Hm I'm completely wrong about the timeline of Tim and Shelly hooking up too. He went to Ryan first, then Eustace, then finally Shelly.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 21, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

He also spent some significant time alone in that cabin in the woods.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ava's Demon confirmed for lesbians

Although dating your maid is a little bit scummy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tenebrais posted:

Ava's Demon confirmed for lesbians

Although dating your maid is a little bit scummy.

Confirmed? We have known about that little prepubescent girl having a lesbian date and mocking her adult brother for being a virgin for a couple years.

I don't know why webcomics like this one or Cucumber Quest really want to hit us over the head again and again about preteen girls being lesbians. Couldn't they do that with characters old enough to not make it completely skeevy?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Do you have a problem with relationships between children in general or is it only when they are lesbians?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Lesbians bore me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't know why webcomics like this one or Cucumber Quest really want to hit us over the head again and again about preteen girls being lesbians. Couldn't they do that with characters old enough to not make it completely skeevy?
I get where you're coming from, but it's just about impossible to count the number of kids' shows where "X likes Y" is a plot point of some level of importance. Of course there's gonna be people who get weird over it, but the alternative is almost directly implying that being gay isn't 'kid-safe'.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If your first reaction to Almond + Peridot is "what the gently caress is this weird fetish poo poo", the author's not the one with the problem.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mr Phillby posted:

Do you have a problem with relationships between children in general or is it only when they are lesbians?

In general. I guess when an author writes about a little boy and a little girl they don't feel the need to go out of their way to point out IT'S NOT JUST FRIENDSHIP IT'S ALSO SEXUAL ATTRACTION.

Black Leaf
Nov 19, 2016

by Smythe

PMush Perfect posted:

If your first reaction to Almond + Peridot is "what the gently caress is this weird fetish poo poo", the author's not the one with the problem.

maybe he has read about webcomic authors

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Cat Mattress posted:

In general. I guess when an author writes about a little boy and a little girl they don't feel the need to go out of their way to point out IT'S NOT JUST FRIENDSHIP IT'S ALSO SEXUAL ATTRACTION.

It's a crush, kids have crushes.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Cat Mattress posted:

Jesus H Christ there is literally nothing sexual about it. What is wrong with you?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I can't think of any comics with preteen/teenage gay relationships where the notion of sex or sexual attraction has come up at all. It's definitely been a factor in older, more homophobic generations to see homosexuality as purely an act of taboo carnality, and while I'm not going to accuse you of thinking that way, it might be worth looking at whether that's influenced the way you see this sort of plot point.

When I talk about dating the maid being scummy, I mean in the sense of that story of Trump's children where they tried to set up a lemonade stand like kids do in the cartoons, but they lived in too rich a neighbourhood for there to be any passers-by so he got all his staff to buy lemonade from them instead.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Jesus H Christ there is literally nothing sexual about it. What is wrong with you?

This. If one of them was a boy this would never have been brought up. A same sex crush is not inherently more sexual than an opposite sex one.

Tenebrais phrased it nicely.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cat Mattress posted:

The problem is, especially in relationships between two women or girls, people will go out of their way to insist they're just friends/sisters/cousins unless you go "no seriously, they're gay for each other". I don't know what the line between "being explicit" and "hitting you over the head with it" is for you, but Cucumber Quest was always on the mild end for me. Almond and Peridot haven't admitted their feelings for each other or acknowledged that there might be ~something there~ besides a strong rivalry even if it's expected they will eventually.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Thankfully there are actual good queer webcomics like Jeb to read instead.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I did a quick search of BSS and couldn't find anything about this one:

http://maliki.com/en/

It's been going since forever, but until a few years ago it was french-only so I had mostly given up on trying to read it. But at some point in time, translations to English started popping up on the site.

* Vaguely pseudo-autobiographic comic.
* Excellent art in large colorful pages. Funny & original characters.
* Mostly standalone strips, no epic story arcs, at least not lately.
* Occasionally devolves into "webcomics about making webcomics", but always with a punchline. Stays away from the tendency to post "here's a strip to announce that I'm signing at X-con next week" like you see all the time in some comics I used to follow.

Don't ask me to summarize anything, though. I still didn't read the old stuff that was french-only, so I couldn't say why the cartoonist has a Chinese kid living with her, or why she has two superpowered alter egos that levitate, etc etc. Just run with it, it's funny and cute.

Lots of cats:
http://maliki.com/en/strips/does-feanor-dream-of-quantum-sheep/
http://maliki.com/en/strips/central-overheating/
http://maliki.com/en/strips/big-head/

Nostalgia:
http://maliki.com/en/strips/fishing-for-memories/
http://maliki.com/en/strips/mud-bath-story/

Adventures in cheesemaking:
http://maliki.com/en/strips/mold-is-life/

I have no idea:
http://maliki.com/strips/lady-rescue-ranger/
http://maliki.com/strips/lady-rescue-ranger-2/
http://maliki.com/strips/lady-rescue-ranger-3/

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 21, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well if you don't know that the house exploding wasn't his fault

if you build a house-exploding machine and leave it around for a child to dick with and the child dicks with it, the results are your fault, not so much the child's; if it was a loaded gun or a running car or 50 gallons of homebrew nitroglycerin instead of a mad science machine I don't think anyone would even question this

Tim was a creature of early Scary Go Round where Doc Brown made sense and could be a hero, and he didn't adapt well when it abruptly became a more grounded setting that sees more or less real-world consequences to letting that guy run around dumping time machines made of trash in kids' laps; Shelley was at best only barely connected to reality to begin with and so never even noticed a transition; while Ryan and Amy had to actually grow up and change who they were. it's an arc packaging up where the comic began and where it's ending.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Galvanik posted:

I actually kind of agree, but I think that's part of why it works for me, since we've been told it's all coming to an end and soon we won't be reading any more about them. In a weird way it's comforting to be able to see why it's for the best.

• Locked thread