Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The old version has been gone for a long time around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I still saw it not too long ago here in Holland. I'll keep an eye out.

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
Thanks everyone for your input! It really sounds like pregnancy sucks for anyone who enjoys alcohol or anything else that's fun. Eek.

I'll definitely look into that tea and maybe a special gift for the shower! She especially loves really earthy and smoky whiskeys, but she's got a very broad range she enjoys.

Thanks again!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Yeah, Lapsang Souchong smells and tastes like a tire fire (and I mean that in a good way), so it may help tick some of those boxes for her.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Had a pour of Pappy's 20 to celebrate a special occasion tonight. I've never tasted anything with such a smooth finish, with the bonus of it tasting like delicious chocolate. A+, would drink again.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Residency Evil posted:

Had a pour of Pappy's 20 to celebrate a special occasion tonight. I've never tasted anything with such a smooth finish, with the bonus of it tasting like delicious chocolate. A+, would drink again.

Try Welller's. Same taste, not quite as smooth in the finish. Nothing beats the real thing, though.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I can't find Weller's anywhere here in Michigan. I'm going to Louisville in a few weeks and I will be on a mission to get one while I'm there.

I had the Pappy 20 last month and I'm still dreaming about it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
If you like BT Weller drink BT Weller. It doesn't taste like the Pappy I remember from 8-10 years ago which still had a lot of Stitzel-Weller distillate. IMO Stitzel-Weller Pappy was more reminiscent of a really refined Bulleit respite huge differences in their mashbills.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Put me in for Michters small batch as my favorite reasonably priced bourbon. The bottles I've liked better have all been over 60$.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I bought a bottle of Laphroig at my local package store a couple weeks ago but haven't opened it up yet. I just stopped by the other package store that's a little farther away and it's eight dollars cheaper. I'm so mad right now.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I bought a bottle of Laphroig at my local package store a couple weeks ago but haven't opened it up yet. I just stopped by the other package store that's a little farther away and it's eight dollars cheaper. I'm so mad right now.

You shouldn't be mad, you should have two bottles of Laphroaig.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

You shouldn't be mad, you should have two bottles of Laphroaig.

:boom:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sometime back I did a tour of inexpensive bourbons and it really didn't hold any surprises. Lately I started a tour of inexpensive Scotch blends beginning with J&B and found it far more drinkable than expected. Now I'm doing Ballantines and finding the same thing, though I preferred J&B a tad more. What next? Dewar's?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

wormil posted:

Sometime back I did a tour of inexpensive bourbons and it really didn't hold any surprises. Lately I started a tour of inexpensive Scotch blends beginning with J&B and found it far more drinkable than expected. Now I'm doing Ballantines and finding the same thing, though I preferred J&B a tad more. What next? Dewar's?

If you want to work your way through crap, sure. Then go Cutty Sark and Johnnie Black and find that they're all drinkable and bland.

Or you could just get some Teacher's and call it a day.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Stultus Maximus posted:

If you want to work your way through crap, sure. Then go Cutty Sark and Johnnie Black and find that they're all drinkable and bland.

Or you could just get some Teacher's and call it a day.
Sorry man, I didn't know slumming was going to upset anyone. I mean it's me drinking it so I don't understand the pissy attitude. But since you seem to know all about it, I'm guessing you've done a lot of slumming yourself. Is Teachers the king of crap?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

wormil posted:

Sorry man, I didn't know slumming was going to upset anyone. I mean it's me drinking it so I don't understand the pissy attitude. But since you seem to know all about it, I'm guessing you've done a lot of slumming yourself. Is Teachers the king of crap?
Grant's with the green label is probably my king of crap at that price. The red label is hell brew though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

wormil posted:

All I'm saying is that I spent $50 on Johnnie Green and it was utterly forgettable. Teacher's cost less than half that and has more character.

Didn't mean to have an attitude, just saying that all the common blended scotches (Cutty, Johnnie, Dewars, etc) are interchangeable forgettable crap. It took me a lot of disappointment to find that out.

And speaking of slumming, I also always keep a bottle of Old Smuggler on hand for mixing because it costs like $12 and is called Old Smuggler so why the gently caress not. It's better than Johnnie Red at least.

Like, I don't have a problem with cheap booze. I always make a note of it if a bar's well whiskey is Old Crow. I'm just saying that some cheap crap is dull and not worth your time while other cheap crap is a worth the fiery headache ride.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Campbeltown Loch, Black Bull, Islay Mist and Baillie Nicol Jarvie are all decent blends if you are looking for something cheap but still good.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Combining the recent talk of cheap scotch and the new egg nog thread, are there any cheap scotches that might suit eggnog? I know christmas cake, nuttiness or dried fruit can all show up sometimes. Anything come to mind that might fit the bill?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ben Nevis posted:

Combining the recent talk of cheap scotch and the new egg nog thread, are there any cheap scotches that might suit eggnog? I know christmas cake, nuttiness or dried fruit can all show up sometimes. Anything come to mind that might fit the bill?

I've tried scotches with eggnog and similar holiday things and it never turned out as well as bourbon. Just my experience.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

wormil posted:

The Famous Grouse!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Picked up some Redbreast at the LCBO for $70 (with $10 off!). So if anyone in Ontario's looking to get some, now's the time. I rarely see discounts like that.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
So I made a post here a while ago about being interested in distilling some whiskey, and I believe I got at least one useful reference to a guide, but I was kind of surprised to see that more people were not involved or interested in doing it themselves. We've made quite a few rounds of beer by now (currently have a blueberry coffee porter and a partridgeberry sour fermenting) and we have the equipment to distill, so we figured we'd go ahead and give it a shot.

We were thinking of doing a corn whiskey, but they didn't actually have enough of the corn flakes we wanted at the brew store, so we said gently caress it and went with a simple all-grain.

Grain bill:

7lbs Canadian 2-row
4 3/4 lbs rye malt
2 1/4 lbs corn flakes

We mashed that at 150f for about an hour, cooled it, and then pitched it onto about half of the spent grain in a fermenting bucket. We then let that ferment out for about three weeks (which was a little on the long side, but it came out to 1.000).

Today we racked to brite tank and added the turbo clear to deal with yeast cells/particulate/whatever. We'll be beginning the actual distilling process tomorrow.

The most exciting part for me so far is the taste, for sure. I've never done a wash without hops before and I think there were a lot of other variables which led to a really unique flavour which was totally different from what I was expecting. It's extremely sour (which boyfriend says is because we didn't add hops, which would otherwise have dealt with the lactobacillus), and intensely, intensely fruity. It tastes like a mango/orange fruit cocktail. Apparently the sour will pretty much disappear in the distilling process, but the basis of our spirit will be the same fruity notes. It's very cool. I would have few problems getting shittered on the deck with this wash thrown on some ice, but we're committed to going full-whiskey.

Given that we managed to empty an entire bottle of Buffalo Trace yesterday, I think this is as good a time as any for us to start thinking about home distilling on the reg. Or loving stop drinking so much.

Not terribly exciting, but here we are racking to brite tank (guard dog is guardful).

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 16, 2017

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
QUOTE IS NOT EDIT

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I finally cracked open my Balvenie Triple Cask 16 that I bought last year from my trip to London. Oh man is it ever good. So glad I'm going on vacation again next month to get more duty-free whisky.

On a similar note, someone mentioned to me that there's a growing whisky community in France -- specifically, Alsace. Has anyone heard anything about it? I'm going to Strasbourg for a few days at the very beginning of September, and I'd love to know more about it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I took the risk of going blind and bought a $13 handle of rye.

It's Hunter Rye and is actually surprisingly good. Neat it's got a sour aftertaste, but rocks either the water or the cooling gets rid of that aftertaste.

It's not Rittenhouse, but if you need something super cheap for cocktails or on the rocks, it's a good choice.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Ryes are supposed to be sour though. Rye itself is sour.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Much more sour than Turkey or Rittenhouse. Maybe not as sour as Dickel or Bulleit? I've only ever had Bulleit, and even then in a cocktail.

If you like it that sour, you'll love it. It's also even cheaper than Gilby's, which is my standard cheap gin. And I generally expect something aged to be more expensive than gin.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Jeez, this is a really big thread and Ive done my best to read the more recent bits so Im sorry if this has been asked already, but can anyone recommend a bourbon in the $150 price range? A family member offered to do some repairs on our house and wont accept payment, he said to just get him a good bottle of bourbon. I dont drink any more and even when I did I wasnt much for bourbon so I am utterly clueless on what would be a good choice. I really appreciate the work hes doing so I want to be sure to get him something nice.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

CoffeeBooze posted:

Jeez, this is a really big thread and Ive done my best to read the more recent bits so Im sorry if this has been asked already, but can anyone recommend a bourbon in the $150 price range? A family member offered to do some repairs on our house and wont accept payment, he said to just get him a good bottle of bourbon. I dont drink any more and even when I did I wasnt much for bourbon so I am utterly clueless on what would be a good choice. I really appreciate the work hes doing so I want to be sure to get him something nice.

I would politely suggest that the $150 range might be a little ostentatious for a bottle of whiskey. You can buy a truly excellent whiskey in the range of $60. That being said, there are some pricier options that you could choose from.

Here's a bottle of William Larue Weller from Buffalo Trace, the review includes links to other top-notch whiskeys:

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/whiskey-review-william-larue-weller-2016/

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I don't think I've ever seen a bottle of bourbon at $150. Well not in person anyways.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

The Doctor posted:

Here's a bottle of William Larue Weller from Buffalo Trace, the review includes links to other top-notch whiskeys:

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/whiskey-review-william-larue-weller-2016/

Unless you're a loving wizard with liquor store connections, you're never going to see this in the wild

Good, high-end bourbon that if you're just regular lucky, you'll find in a store: Four Roses Private Selection ($60-70), Colonel E.H. Taylor Rye/Single Barrel ($60-80), Blantons ($50-60), Russell's Reserve Single Barrel ($50-65)

If you can find a bottle of Taylor - that's probably the best bet for "Bourbon to get someone as a gift" it comes in a tube like Scotch, so it looks fancy

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Blanton's looks really cool, too. I've never had any because it's so expensive, so I can't vouch for the taste.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Blanton's looks really cool, too. I've never had any because it's so expensive, so I can't vouch for the taste.
I found it good, not mind blowing, but it has that je ne sais quoi as a gift, for sure. There's at least a couple versions of the horse topper, so maybe get two?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I think Blanton's is perfect as a gift, that is a really neat bottle. Thanks a ton for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What about Bookers? It comes in a big wood case and everything

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Willet Family Reserve?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me