Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just picked up Float and it's in the single most unassuming place ever and I was amazed when it wasn't just a random chest with 20 gil in. I forget the name of the place but the big open grassy area where you pick up the ??? hunt (Mandragoras).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Seitengrat has a 1% chance of appearing in a chest that also has a 1% chance of appearing. It's not game breaking to have an ultra rare weapon most players won't get.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Phantasium posted:

You go to the mines, to the bridge where the skeletons respawn, and then hit L1.

also set up a steal gambit, I use foe HP >90%

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
FF12's random chest thing was just weird grindy nature that all mainline FF games have. I remember spending an hour or two trying to get the Excalibur to show up in a chest, and that poo poo was a nightmare. Heck, I spent an hour last night grinding One-Eye from FFX monster arena trying to get a triple AP weapon for Auron to drop. Speaking of which, I turned Wakka into a killing machine that hits for 99k provided armor isn't a big deal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

I think it's a huge deal that bravery and dispel are in chests in dungeons you'll probably never return to and nowhere else in the world, so either you notice the brown chests in the brown dungeon or you go without a spell that's essentially necessary for fighting bosses.

Hell, they even tossed some spells that you could buy in vanilla into chests for added confusion and sadness

Dispel is the real sin there, though I agree that shoving spells in chests was stupid. It's a lot worse to miss something like Dispel than it is to miss out on a second Brave Suit or something.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mill Village posted:

Seitengrat has a 1% chance of appearing in a chest that also has a 1% chance of appearing. It's not game breaking to have an ultra rare weapon most players won't get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s97POHkYGo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdoRtLV3l5c

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=seitengrat

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I don't think normal people are going to do a RNG manipulation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think the fact that 10 years later people have figured out how to manipulate the RNG to get it all the time makes it any less stupid.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My assumption would be that, back when IZJS was first made, they weren't really assuming that players would obsessively figure out the RNG table for the game and manipulate it to guarantee a Seitengrat.

That said, I also think all of the invisible weapons are dumb as hell. Even if it wasn't possible to manipulate RNG to get it, what does it add to the rare player's experience if they pick up an invisible, license-free, super-overpowered bow early in the game? You haven't made the game more fun for them--you've eliminated the possibility that anything will pose a challenge at all unless they're one of the players who'll resist using it (clearly not a majority, if all these videos are any indication).

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Mill Village posted:

its gamebreaking to the player it happens to who doesnt even realize wtf just occured and thinks 'ok i guess ill need this weapon later'

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I think if they had simply spaced out the linear areas in ffxv it'd come across better. It makes more sense to say this is the open world place, we go to Venice or whatever by boat and then come back for a bit before going on another transport thing, etc etc. Open world interspersed with specific mission areas is pretty standard and I don't think people would mind.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

its gamebreaking to the player it happens to who doesnt even realize wtf just occured and thinks 'ok i guess ill need this weapon later'

isn't that chest literally invisible

imagine being the lucky yutz who mashes X at an inopportune time and gets the strongest weapon in the game dropped on his head

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

GulagDolls posted:

In fairness, that will never happen. Nobody finds the seitengrate by accident.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

OneDeadman posted:

I don't think normal people are going to do a RNG manipulation.

The way I see it, there are only two options:

- That quote from the dev is truthful and they really were dumb enough to think that randomly getting something good would be a cool surprise and players weren't gonna just look on the internet to see what the deal was (and to be fair this game was in development when Japan was still pretty bad at the internet)

- They were actually trolling the gently caress out of the way other JRPGs had poo poo like this, but this one is not very likely because there's parody and then there's reductio ad absurdum.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

isn't that chest literally invisible

imagine being the lucky yutz who mashes X at an inopportune time and gets the strongest weapon in the game dropped on his head

ok my b I didn't know its literally invisible lol. ive never gone for it

if you did just find it by random occurence somehow that would be extremely jarring. i would probably suspect my game was bugged or somethign

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

precision posted:

The way I see it, there are only two options:

- That quote from the dev is truthful and they really were dumb enough to think that randomly getting something good would be a cool surprise and players weren't gonna just look on the internet to see what the deal was (and to be fair this game was in development when Japan was still pretty bad at the internet)

- They were actually trolling the gently caress out of the way other JRPGs had poo poo like this, but this one is not very likely because there's parody and then there's reductio ad absurdum.

option c: sell a fuckload of prima guides

GulagDolls posted:

ok my b I didn't know its literally invisible lol. ive never gone for it

if you did just find it by random occurence somehow that would be extremely jarring. i would probably suspect my game was bugged or somethign

theres 3 invisible items:
seitengrat 224 atk bow with 70 eva - literally impossible to stumble across, invisible chest only
gendarme - 90 eva 90 def shield, absorbs all elements - same
great trango - 180ish attack 1h sword - has invisible chest but also a tiny chance to steal from zodiark

i guarantee someone has stolen from zodiark and gotten trango and been like what the gently caress lol

mbt fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 19, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

i would probably suspect my game was bugged or somethign

only way to get the seitengrat 2 is to do the Relm glitch in FFVI and import your SNES save into FFXII Zodiac Age 2 and only if you got 256 Excalibur's through the glitch

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

option c: sell a fuckload of prima guides

It's not in the PRIMA GUIDE because they didn't make any guides for IZJS. they couldnt even afford to make a model for the super bow

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Bummed XII isn't out on PC. :(

Did just finish X remaster though - the new optional bosses are some overkill, literally party wipe on first turn. I assume they want me to fill out the whole sphere grid before even tackling these?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

It's not in the PRIMA GUIDE because they didn't make any guides for IZJS. they couldnt even afford to make a model for the super bow

the quote was for the original game iirc which had even more ridiculous chest rng. the whole zodiac spear thing was supposed to be if you just happened to ignore the correct chests you'd get it. izjs is pretty reasonable by those standards.

Avalerion posted:

Did just finish X remaster though - the new optional bosses are some overkill, literally party wipe on first turn. I assume they want me to fill out the whole sphere grid before even tackling these?

yep. download a trainer or cheat your way to max, don't xp grind ffx unless you hate yourself

or just use yojimbo :getin:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Avalerion posted:

Just use yojimbo lol

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They don't mention it ingame but for each FFX boss you Zanmato you have to endure another 1,000 years of suffering in the afterlife

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Learning that a whole bunch of skills and spells are found in treasure chests haphazardly placed all over the stupid big dungeons really discourages me from playing the game

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is there any rhyme or reason as to what prize each chest contains or is it all random

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Seitengrat's gotta be a joke they did since it's double the attack output of the second last bow.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason as to what prize each chest contains or is it all random

its roughly spaced out so you won't get uber magic at low levels

other than float/dispel you won't be missing much, all the other essential magic/technics you can buy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Calaveron posted:

Learning that a whole bunch of skills and spells are found in treasure chests haphazardly placed all over the stupid big dungeons really discourages me from playing the game

FF12 might as well have had 'just use a guide' stamped on the box

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Chests can be random or set. Chests with spells, for example, always contain the spell and always appear. And various weapon chests always contain that weapon i.e. the one with the masamune. Sometimes those chests don't appear though. Other chests may contain nothing or a cool item at random and may or may not respawn and may or may not appear, at random. So no spell is permanently missable but some weapons are. Fortunately TRIAL MODE makes most stuff obtainable later on, though there are still some exceptions.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

its roughly spaced out so you won't get uber magic at low levels

other than float/dispel you won't be missing much, all the other essential magic/technics you can buy

Haste too

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a super easy game and you can just play through it and have fun instead of being weird about it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Just a drat list of what dungeons/areas have spells and that's all we need.

Nothing can top fighting a big dragon thing with a floating collar in the mines cept maybe the same dragon but covered in moss ten minutes later.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a super easy game and you can just play through it and have fun instead of being weird about it.

Most of the time I agree but incredibly useful spells being in very easy to miss chests is some bullshit

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I want to say most of the spells and techs are located in the dead ends of most maps.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Reading this just makes me sad that I made none of my characters an archer.

1) Shikari/Foebreaker (Vaan)
2) White mage/time mage (Balthier)
3) Time mage/bushi (Penelo)
4) Knight/red mage (Basch)
5) Black mage/monk (Ashe)
6) Machinist/white mage (Fran)

I eventually decided to just not stress too much about it and choose what seemed fun. All the FF games let you break them pretty badly late so I'm not worrying anymore god drat it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Calaveron posted:

What

Sakurazuka posted:

But its so easy

Why are goons so sadbrains sometimes. Like the existence of a sword that does 9999 damage makes you must have it even if you're already doing so much damage you kill every enemy in one hit.

Why do you need it?

FactsAreUseless posted:

FOR REAL

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The map in the great crystal isn't very helpful at all.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Emron posted:

Reading this just makes me sad that I made none of my characters an archer.

1) Shikari/Foebreaker (Vaan)
2) White mage/time mage (Balthier)
3) Time mage/bushi (Penelo)
4) Knight/red mage (Basch)
5) Black mage/monk (Ashe)
6) Machinist/white mage (Fran)

I eventually decided to just not stress too much about it and choose what seemed fun. All the FF games let you break them pretty badly late so I'm not worrying anymore god drat it

Why? If you mean the SUPER MAGIC BOW it isn't even technically a bow, everyone can equip it for free and it doesn't even have a model or whatever

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Calaveron posted:

It's bad but it's not a major issue. If you notice a magic spell is missing and you got the next tier just ask and somebody will tell you where it is.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Why? If you mean the SUPER MAGIC BOW it isn't even technically a bow, everyone can equip it for free and it doesn't even have a model or whatever

lol what the gently caress, ok I'm not gonna worry about that at all then. I will go back for dispel though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Dispel's on the north side of the Royal passage in the Tomb of Raithwall. Haste's in the Viera village.