Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
I'm seeing lots of "China starts blocking WhatsApp!" news but despite reporting it as "fact", none of the news outlets have actually verified that this is what is happening vs something accidental. It's been working (for text) for most the day for everyone I know and some of the time for pics/vids. I heard WhatsApp was planning around this time to move all its data off its IBM servers to Facebook's own servers, so could be related to that.

EDIT: Ah, the NYTimes seem to actually have some sources on it rather than speculation.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/18/technology/whatsapp-facebook-china-internet.html?_r=0
The blocks against WhatsApp originated with the government, according to a person familiar with the situation who declined to be named because they were not authorized to speak on the record about the disruption. Security experts also verified that the partial disruption in WhatsApp started with China’s internet filters.

Ewan fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If they're using facebook servers it's probably being disrupted.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Dr.Radical posted:

I would have figured that when they were setting that exhibit up they would have made some preparations for something like this just under the assumption that people are dumb as hell and there's always a chance an incident will happen. I guess the artist and gallery people were also dumb as hell.

I've done a little work like that for museums and have a lot of friends still in the industry and I absolutely guarantee you that no reasonable institution will arrange a gallery that way.

Not to mention I cannot see a fire marshal approving that layout.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

simplefish posted:

Or 7 proxies

What are you some Uplink hacker bouncing terminals to buy time?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

This is why you have two VPNs.
I do. Vypr for the whole computer, and Zenmate for browsers. Turning Zenmate on now will not connect at all, even to Chinese sites. I run Vypr servers through OpenVPN, so I can't see the speeds here, but they seem to working for me again.

I sent an email to my family saying if it all goes to expect my emails from outlook.com, which works fine.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It's time to get out of China Haier.
But will the China get out of Haier?
I already have my airplane tickets and house rented in the next place, goon sir. It's not long now.

Ewan posted:

I'm seeing lots of "China starts blocking WhatsApp!" news but despite reporting it as "fact", none of the news outlets have actually verified that this is what is happening vs something accidental. It's been working (for text) for most the day for everyone I know and some of the time for pics/vids. I heard WhatsApp was planning around this time to move all its data off its IBM servers to Facebook's own servers, so could be related to that.

EDIT: Ah, the NYTimes seem to actually have some sources on it rather than speculation.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/18/technology/whatsapp-facebook-china-internet.html?_r=0
The blocks against WhatsApp originated with the government, according to a person familiar with the situation who declined to be named because they were not authorized to speak on the record about the disruption. Security experts also verified that the partial disruption in WhatsApp started with China’s internet filters.
What Grand Fromage said, too. I read some other article that they are demanding foreign companies to keep their data in China if they want to keep doing business here (or face getting blocked). I wonder which greedy dumbshit company will go for that. Zuckerberg is already a Chinese operative, but currently he isn't that retarded. Time will tell.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
My wife just told me a pretty good story of chabuduo last night. She said when she was in medical school, the first surgery she had to watch was for this 18-year-old guy whose boner went completely sideways instead of straight.

The surgery was going to correct it so it would go straight. My wife was saying how for that kind of surgery you'd need to do the "math" and figure out how to tighten the skin in various areas to make sure the surgery would actually have a corrective effect.

She said that the doctor had no plan whatsoever before he started surgery, and he just starting making some cuts. It became clear to her after a while that he really had no idea what he was doing, and he said "I think this will be good enough," and then he finished the surgery.

It ended up making it way worse somehow, so the guy's sideways boners went even more to the side after the surgery.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Another boner misled by Chinese medicine.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Haier posted:

But will the China get out of Haier?

I thought it was the opposite thing being your main "thing". That is putting Haier into china.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

angel opportunity posted:

My wife just told me a pretty good story of chabuduo last night. She said when she was in medical school, the first surgery she had to watch was for this 18-year-old guy whose boner went completely sideways instead of straight.

The surgery was going to correct it so it would go straight. My wife was saying how for that kind of surgery you'd need to do the "math" and figure out how to tighten the skin in various areas to make sure the surgery would actually have a corrective effect.

She said that the doctor had no plan whatsoever before he started surgery, and he just starting making some cuts. It became clear to her after a while that he really had no idea what he was doing, and he said "I think this will be good enough," and then he finished the surgery.

It ended up making it way worse somehow, so the guy's sideways boners went even more to the side after the surgery.

i have a circular boner

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Jeoh posted:

i have a circular boner

Like a corkscrew? When you are having sex, are you literally "drilling" someone?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

mojo1701a posted:

Like a corkscrew? When you are having sex, are you literally "drilling" someone?

he means a vaginer

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mojo1701a posted:

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/WaviUoZ.gif:nws:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

huh

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

That's... one hell of a Skyrim mod.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So i know wade giles is ugly and lovely. But are there some people who avtually salty about it existing? Can anyone explain this?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

nickmeister posted:

So i know wade giles is ugly and lovely. But are there some people who avtually salty about it existing? Can anyone explain this?
It is ugly and lovely. You just said it yourself. That's reason enough. How the gently caress am I supposed to say "Hsiuh" or all those dumb Hong Kong words?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are also white guys who loving fume at the concept of simplified characters. There's no accounting for it.

I kinda like W-G in history books about the distant past since seeing it reminds me of old maps and explorers in the far east.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

nickmeister posted:

It's just really annoying when you are reading something that chooses to use Wade-Guiles when you know Pinyin. A LOT of sounds in Wade-Guiles make you not really sure what the word is in Pinyin (something like CHOU in Wade-Guiles will often be ZHOU in pinyin, and then you wonder how actually "CHOU" is written in W-G???)

The main annoyance about it for me personally is that literally no one writing Wade-Guiles actually knows how to pronounce the words in W-G, so they might as well just write it in Pinyin because they'd botch the pronunciation just as much anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm reading a Cambridge published history on Japan, and for some reason Cambridge's house style requires that W-G be used for Chinese and whatever the gently caress system the North Koreans use for Korean words, I think McCune-Reichsauer or something, so it's really confusing trying to match things up to how they're spelled by normal people.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

粵拼 for cantonese pls

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watched man of Tai Chi, it's not very good.

It is a bit of a China wankfess that tries to turn China flaws into virtues like entitled customers and rear end in a top hat bosses being a good thing. The property developer angle came out of nowhere and was resolved with a "Contract" to redevelop the area as a cultural village which I am sure would be adhered to with Chinese characteristics. Funny enough the safety inspector/heritage director wasn't open to a bribe from Tiger or the fact a safety inspection was even done in the first place.

The fights aren't very good either as they go on for too long with Tiger almost never taking any damage visible or otherwise. There is not tension to the fights. The editing was far to fast so even when there was a cool move you could appreciate it. The final fight looked like a cartoon or completely filmed on a green stage and it ending with a qi attack. There were a lot of styles including Shaolin Temple Bronze Man style but LOL at Tai Chi at being a legit way to fight.

Keanu's character's motives is the most interesting part of the movie as his aim isn't just to run an illegal fight arena as he was far more interested in toppling pillars of virtues with the arena being an enabler. However this is mostly ruined by the lack of character direction of any sort which is weird as gently caress since Keanu was the director and he directed himself and everyone else to be as flat as possible or just make poo poo up.

But I wasn't expecting a good movie as it was a Chinese production.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I really need help because I've hosed up pretty badly here and don't really know what to do, or where to begin resolving anything!

I'm white, and I came to China about a year ago to work as an English teacher for a limited period of time before heading back home to the US (Midwest) - I decided on it on a whim after completing my BSc in Econ and realizing this might be my last chance to travel and experience another part of the world before settling down into the daily grind of a career. I pursued Chinese language classes alongside degree just out of something to do extracurricular-wise (I like economics but studying something so formally always takes the fun out of it) and passed my HSK3 last year.

Anyway. I'm in Shenzhen to be exact. And I met a guy about 6 months ago, Chinese, who works for a web-services company here and who also went to college in America. There are barely any single western guys here so I thought I'd give it a shot, plus he's cute and seemed to have his poo poo together. And besides, I actually quite like the school here since it's a private school devoted to English language teaching.

Everything was cool for the first month or so, lots of gifts, complimenting me on my blonde hair and I won't lie, I liked the attention. So he convinced me to cancel the rolling lease I have on my place (at his expense!) and move on with him.

From there on things started getting worse. He'd demand to know who I was chatting to on my phone, he'd ask me to block male friends from WeChat, he monitors my social media activity and emails, he'd do this under the guise of ensuring we were both loyal - and initially offered to give me his phone whenever I wanted it (but only his non-work phone). He has become increasingly paranoid, prone to outbursts of rage, a lot of his insults are racialized and he claims you can't trust white women as we're all whores, I realize "abusive" is sometimes overused but over the past month he has started to kick me if I don't do things like washing for him quickly enough. It's not enough to cause serious injury but apparently stuff like this predicts future violence in a relationship.

So I'm using a VPN to access Reddit right now. Bf is asleep and I just want some advice on what to do next. Can I go to the consulate and ask for their help, or will they turn me away? I'm prepared to leave the country outright at this point because I'm honestly done here. I told a female (Chinese) colleague and she just laughed it off saying that's what men are like.

I don't want to involve my parents as they'd be unhappy with both my relationship choice and how it's turned out, and I don't want a "told you so" story when I'm suffering like this, and I don't want to rely on them financially.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

She's going to the consulate.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

quote:

Now that I actually have to take stock of how many mistakes I've made, I realize I should have seen the warning signs when he started posting pictures of me and talking about how it was 为国家的光荣 (winning glory for the country) and poo poo like that on his weibo.

:eyepop:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The real gold is in the comments

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
She ever thought 'secretly rent a new place with all the cash she's saved from living at his place and move out while he's at work'?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

https://nextshark.com/chinese-bitcoin-mining-sichuan/

bitcoin mining rigs have always been the most chabuduo rigs, good to see it turned into a chabuduo datacenter

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
People have mentioned that it would be cool to have a female Haier in this thread so we could get stories of insane Chinese dudes instead of only hearing about insane Chinese women all the time, but I get the feeling it wouldn't work out so well for such a person (i.e. she would get kicked a lot).

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I remember reading more than one article written by different white women living in east Asia. One was a woman in Japan who dismissed foreign men in Japan as weeaboo loser English teachers who got girls because the Japanese women were too stupid to see past their whiteness to realise they were losers. The other one was living in Singapore and dismissed the foreign men dating younger prettier Asian women as sexpats and general sleaze bags.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Outrail posted:

She ever thought 'secretly rent a new place with all the cash she's saved from living at his place and move out while he's at work'?

Take a rest, she assimilated.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

nickmeister posted:

I remember reading more than one article written by different white women living in east Asia. One was a woman in Japan who dismissed foreign men in Japan as weeaboo loser English teachers who got girls because the Japanese women were too stupid to see past their whiteness to realise they were losers. The other one was living in Singapore and dismissed the foreign men dating younger prettier Asian women as sexpats and general sleaze bags.

yeah, and?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Now that I actually have to take stock of how many mistakes I've made, I realize I should have seen the warning signs when he started posting pictures of me and talking about how it was 为国家的光荣 (winning glory for the country) and poo poo like that on his weibo.
I thought he was joking back then but according to some of what I've read on /r/China, Chinese men view dating foreign women as winning collective "face" for their country. And view Chinese women dating foreigners as losing collective "face".
I feel like such a fool. I laughed at it because truth be told I was flattered, I've always been pretty average and it was nice to feel super attractive just because I have blonde hair and blue eyes.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Devils Affricate posted:

People have mentioned that it would be cool to have a female Haier in this thread so we could get stories of insane Chinese dudes instead of only hearing about insane Chinese women all the time, but I get the feeling it wouldn't work out so well for such a person (i.e. she would get kicked a lot).

that's my old coworker, she was an 8 by western standards and off the charts by expat standards in tianjin and she hooked up with a ton of Japanese and Chinese dudes exclusively for a few years and her stories were soooo good

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Don't talk to people. Don't have sex.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

The Great Autismo! posted:

that's my old coworker, she was an 8 by western standards and off the charts by expat standards in tianjin and she hooked up with a ton of Japanese and Chinese dudes exclusively for a few years and her stories were soooo good

In the cringeworthy "How did you not see this coming" sense or just normal hilarity?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
LMAO, why the heck Hong Kong customs fill they wall-mounted free hand sanitizer bottles with white vinegar?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lady Galaga posted:

I thought he was joking back then but according to some of what I've read on /r/China, Chinese men view dating foreign women as winning collective "face" for their country. And view Chinese women dating foreigners as losing collective "face".
I feel like such a fool. I laughed at it because truth be told I was flattered, I've always been pretty average and it was nice to feel super attractive just because I have blonde hair and blue eyes.

I am so tempted to make an E/N fakepost about all this.

Haier posted:

LMAO, why the heck Hong Kong customs fill they wall-mounted free hand sanitizer bottles with white vinegar?

Why are you in Hong Kong? Finally getting back to the free world?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

I think when you compare costs the answer becomes obvious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Just a quick nationalism thing that I always found really interesting....

China celebrates September 3rd as "Victory of War of Resistance against Japan Day". On that day, one of my Weixin contacts posted the following:

The thing that's interesting to me about this is the Never Forget idea.
In America, Never Forget is used when talking about remembering the American victims and their families.
In China, Never Forget is used when talking about remembering how humiliating it was for Chinese to be victims.

• Locked thread