Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

What do they "want back" exactly? Those stories still exist don't they? If they're pining away for the continued adventures of Corran Horn then I think they've got a long time to wait...

Do they? Disney's already brought back Thrawn. Eventually, probably soon, someone will get lazy and then bam, Mara Jade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I was curious to see where the EU ended, apparently this was the last novel.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crucible_(novel)

I'm not reading that exhaustive plot summary, but holy poo poo, we're talking a 63 year old Luke (and Leia) and an 80 year old Han Solo still carrying the story.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

General Dog posted:

I was curious to see where the EU ended, apparently this was the last novel.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crucible_(novel)

I'm not reading that exhaustive plot summary, but holy poo poo, we're talking a 63 year old Luke (and Leia) and an 80 year old Han Solo still carrying the story.

Well, part of that is helped by the fact that they play "Its the future and medicine is way better" straight, and 55 is seen as early middle age. Han is barely touching 'old' on that scale.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

jivjov posted:

Well, part of that is helped by the fact that they play "Its the future and medicine is way better" straight, and 55 is seen as early middle age. Han is barely touching 'old' on that scale.

I know Obi-Wan got a lot of sun in his latter years, but he was looking pretty brittle when he died at 57 years old (according to Wookiepedia).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Guiness was only 61 or so

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it only got brought up in the books to justify octogenarian Han still being hale and hearty.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Obi Wan spent his days in Mos Eisley, chain smoking death sticks and pounding Jawa Juice

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
I'm pretty sure that Tatooine isn't exactly a great place to enjoy the best of healthcare technology, especially if your lifestyle is 'hermit.'

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/887794701755006976

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TIE Silencer, named by FO engineers with a sense of humor. Otherwise they would call it the TIE Tantrum.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I really, absolutely hope they double down on Kylo as a weird, needy, awkward loser pissbaby with superpowers. He's probably my favourite thing about 7.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Having just rewatched Return of the Jedi, people really over play how much Ewoks "beat up" the Empire. It's more like they offer a distraction that the Rebels use to launch a countermeasure and manage to take out some walkers and hit some people with sticks when they're unaware.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm re-watching Rogue One to see if I like it anymore for a third time. As long as we have endless re-releases of the OT and Prequels, maybe they could re-release Rogue One with a brand new score. Good grief. Poor Giacchino, I'm sure he'd love to have this one back.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Covok posted:

Having just rewatched Return of the Jedi, people really over play how much Ewoks "beat up" the Empire. It's more like they offer a distraction that the Rebels use to launch a countermeasure and manage to take out some walkers and hit some people with sticks when they're unaware.

Yeah the movie shows pretty clearly that when they try to help out head on they get owned. Once they start using traps and ambushing them it turns the tide for the Rebels.

The Ewoks are fine, just the entire detour to their village and everything takes forever. It's comparable to the kids in Thunderdome. The kids are rad, it's just that the movie grinds to a halt out of nowhere.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The son of Han and grandson of Anakin is prob gonna be a good pilot. Wrap it up Empire-remakeailures, Kylo is flying a TIE like in ANH

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Gonz posted:

It's not George Lucas' fault. He was born and raised underneath a vast networked grid of high tension power lines.

Star Wars came to him in a series of night terrors back in the mid 60's. He poo poo his pants constantly.

This is the force and it flows through you. Drink full and descend. The krayt dragon is the white of the eyes and dark side within.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Maybe, but that part where the rebels are surrounded outside the shield generator and the Ewoks rescue them by throwing a couple of rocks from the trees on the stormtroopers is pretty bad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The MSJ posted:

TIE Silencer, named by FO engineers with a sense of humor. Otherwise they would call it the TIE Tantrum.

Instead of the iconic 'scream' the TIE Silencer emits a nasally, incredibly annoying whine.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

REEEEEEE

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq9drEYDmOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think somebody explained to me in this thread before why this wouldn't work, but I forgot, so:

Wouldn't you use a lightsaber like a fencing sword? Like you just need to make contact with your opponent to gently caress them up enough that they couldn't fight you anymore. So you wouldn't wind up and take a huge swings at them, right?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Wouldn't you use a lightsaber like a fencing sword? Like you just need to make contact with your opponent to gently caress them up enough that they couldn't fight you anymore. So you wouldn't wind up and take a huge swings at them, right?

It seems like a lot of the time these lightsaber duels come down to the sabers clashing, and then which person is able to use leverage from there to catch his opponent off balance for a quick finish. So brute strength is still relevant because you have to deal with the other person's guard and potentially force(no pun intended!) your way through it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
99% of the time Jedi are fighting guys without their own laser sword.

They're also canon morons.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

PostNouveau posted:

Maybe, but that part where the rebels are surrounded outside the shield generator and the Ewoks rescue them by throwing a couple of rocks from the trees on the stormtroopers is pretty bad.

Meh, they had bows and arrows and were firing a volley of arrows from a postion where they completely surrounded the enemy. A lot of them were unarnored officers and the enemy had an advantegous position. Makes sense for the officers to retreat to safety and the stormtroopers to advance to engage the enemy. The real mistake was not dividing their forces to keep the rebels captured to avoid growing enemy forces: they don't need that much force to take down those Ewoks. It's understandable, though, as the officiers failed to take control and give orders due to their surprise and desire to get out of the volley so the troopers acted on their training without tactics (retake the advantage, engage the enemy, protect the officers).

PostNouveau posted:

I think somebody explained to me in this thread before why this wouldn't work, but I forgot, so:

Star Wars is inspired by Akira Kurosawa Samurai flicks, though. Also, Dooku does use his swords like a fencing sword. Only doing saber clashes to counter his opponent's attempts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

Star Wars is inspired by Akira Kurosawa Samurai flicks, though. Also, Dooku does use his swords like a fencing sword. Only doing saber clashes to counter his opponent's attempts.

The way the lightsabers are used in the OT(so we're talking about Obi-Wan, Vader, and Luke here) really isn't reminiscent of Kurosawa's samurai though, it's a lot more of a medieval knight style as if they're carrying a broadsword.

Kurosawa's characters tended to use extremely fast and decisive movements, and the fights were over very quickly. Nothing like the long looping swings of Vader or Obi-Wan.

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb6RRuiFVbc

Of course, the famous exception to the rule is the cantina scene, which is obviously heavily inspired by the Yojimbo scene I just posted. But overall the duels themselves are not in that style.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

PostNouveau posted:

There are lots of tactics that "should" work with lightsabers but aren't used in the films because they don't make for good fights. For instance, if your opponent tries to block your swing, you could deactivate the blade just before contact and then reactivate it on the other side, neatly slicing them in two.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there a canon reason why Jedi don't just force-deactivate an enemy lightsaber mid battle?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a canon reason why Jedi don't just force-deactivate an enemy lightsaber mid battle?

Presumably the person you're fighting against is also using the Force to stop that.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Zoran posted:

There are lots of tactics that "should" work with lightsabers but aren't used in the films because they don't make for good fights. For instance, if your opponent tries to block your swing, you could deactivate the blade just before contact and then reactivate it on the other side, neatly slicing them in two.

Lightsabers don't retract and extend out instantly, so this just seems like a good way to get yourself sliced.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think Luke does this to someone in one of those EU novels.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

Presumably the person you're fighting against is also using the Force to stop that.

yeah my no-prize explanation for "why don't they..." in lightsaber fights is that since what we're seeing is obviously ~the way it is~, there must be a reason for it which must be that all of the non-visible force poo poo going on is a big factor

Serf
May 5, 2011

Didn't Lucas once describe his original vision for the lightsaber battle between Obi-Wan and Anakin as the physical swordfight just being a layer on top of a supernatural contest of wills happening invisible to the naked eye? These days they would turn that into an excuse to green-screen the whole thing and load it down with overbearing CGI while the swordfight goes down like some Doctor Strange poo poo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

Didn't Lucas once describe his original vision for the lightsaber battle between Obi-Wan and Anakin as the physical swordfight just being a layer on top of a supernatural contest of wills happening invisible to the naked eye? These days they would turn that into an excuse to green-screen the whole thing and load it down with overbearing CGI while the swordfight goes down like some Doctor Strange poo poo.

His original vision was for the laser swords to be really heavy and hard to move for some *science-y* reasons.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

No, but there is a Legend's reason. Force users can create a "force bubble" around themselves which is essentially them using their own control of the Force to auto-block an opponent's use. It's why they don't do a lot of things with the Force during a duel. It both takes a while to concentrate (time you don't have) and the person is likely blocking minor attempts at it so you got to really put omph (aka a lot of time) to make any effect.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Serf posted:

These days they would turn that into an excuse to green-screen the whole thing and load it down with overbearing CGI while the swordfight goes down like some Doctor Strange poo poo.

You're walking right into one here.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It seems like if two Jedi/Sith/whatever are fighting with lightsabers, it's because they either have some basic respect for each other(Vader/Obi Wan), or they're so evenly matched in Force abilities that the sabers are the only decider left(Dooku/Yoda). Regardless, I always got the feeling that lightsaber combat is considered somewhat sacred, almost ritualistic, and so dirty underhanded tricks would be frowned upon. Of course, tell that to Qui-Gon, you can't get too up in arms over an elbow to the face when you're dead.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Covok posted:

Meh, they had bows and arrows and were firing a volley of arrows from a postion where they completely surrounded the enemy. A lot of them were unarnored officers and the enemy had an advantegous position. Makes sense for the officers to retreat to safety and the stormtroopers to advance to engage the enemy. The real mistake was not dividing their forces to keep the rebels captured to avoid growing enemy forces: they don't need that much force to take down those Ewoks. It's understandable, though, as the officiers failed to take control and give orders due to their surprise and desire to get out of the volley so the troopers acted on their training without tactics (retake the advantage, engage the enemy, protect the officers).

The easiest way to fix the whole battle is through quantity, like the bugs swarming the outpost in Starship Troopers. If it's thousands of Ewoks fearlessly storming the soldiers, it would both be believable for them to win and would add the emotional punch of them being willing to sacrifice many lives to contribute to a cause they know little about.

When it comes to believability, quantity is something Star Wars has always struggled with.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The easiest way to fix the whole battle is through quantity, like the bugs swarming the outpost in Starship Troopers. If it's thousands of Ewoks fearlessly storming the soldiers, it would both be believable for them to win and would add the emotional punch of them being willing to sacrifice many lives to contribute to a cause they know little about.

When it comes to believability, quantity is something Star Wars has always struggled with.

When you put it like that, it's kinda surprising that no CG Ewoks were added to the RotJ Special Edition.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Basebf555 posted:

When you put it like that, it's kinda surprising that no CG Ewoks were added to the RotJ Special Edition.

It might have been considered, but have been infeasible. Ewoks are pretty fuzzy, and CGI fuzz didn't really come into maturity until Monsters Inc in 2001.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Serf posted:

That's a classic swordfight/martial arts trope.

• Locked thread