Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Aww they sorta revealed what the Atari Box is now, it was much more fun watching the Atari Age guys twisting them selves into knots trying to figure out what it was going to be and trying to hope that it would be more than an android box.

Don't forget that Hyperkin is putting out a 2600 clone console too for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Type GO FAIRCHILD into Compuserve today!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The Atari 2600 and all the rest early gen game systems? People say "well it's ok the graphics are bad because the game is great" only the game rarely was great to play. Most British 8 bit micros fall into this too, even when they're being sold into the early 90s.

In NES and later games become recognizable environments and characters and enemies. Graphics are at a least a bare bar for functioning. Games can be legit good now without also being unusual for their system.

SNES and Genesis really up the stakes for what graphics and sound can do. Ps1/Saturn/N64 bringing embryonic 3d worlds in.

I say Dreamcast is the turning point where games became "good enough" graphics and sound quality to stand the test of time without a bunch of qualifiers, so long as they're fun of course. And that comes in 1998. And PS2/Xbox/GC continue that in the 2000s.

And for the 12 year old thing, I was 12 in 2001 but I'd only had a gamestop deep discount dreamcast for 20 bucks that year to go with the SNES I got at like 1996 maybe and maybe the N64 from 99 or something. Oh and the gbc I had from 1998 and GBA I got in 2001.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I think the NES and SNES era graphics hold up better than PS1/N64 era. DC games are a mixed bag of what holds up. PS2/Xbox/GC is where 3D games start to hold up to the test of time IMO, and not even all of them. PS3/360 is when the definitely will hold up until we see what's "next".

There are some 2600 games that are worth playing. the classics. Though maybe it does require some nostalgia. I started gaming sometime after xmas of 88 when we got our NES. However, there was a 2600 around that my older siblings used. So I would break that out in the early 90s as a "throw back", so I did have some experience playing those games. So while I grew up after the 2600's hey day, I did have some nostalgia with it. I can see younger generations not giving a flip about that era at all and starting with the NES when looking for retro stuff to play. As well as following game series to their origins.

I can't say 12 was my golden age of gaming. I played a lot of NES/PC/C64 from early on. I always gamed, but when I was 13/14 and I got the N64 and then my siblings and I got into the PS1 RPGS... those were great times. However, so was when GTA3 and Gran Turismo 3 came out on the PS2 and I was older. Halo with friends in High School and College. So I dunno... RPGs and Open World games are my favorites these days, so maybe I am hanging on to my high school gaming habits most even if those require more time than I can commit these days.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I was born in '80 so I do remember playing Atari stuff when I was little. It was neat, but they were just severely downgraded arcade games with very little depth and poor controls (those joysticks, ugh). SMB on the NES, however, was a huge leap forward. I couldn't put it into words as a kid, but that was definitely The Thing. And the games just kept getting better over time.

I'd say the some of the VCS Activision games are still worth a look today, but not much else. I'm ok with the notion that console gaming started in earnest with Nintendo. Atari literally crashed the market, and none of their follow-ups were any good.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ofecks posted:

I was born in '80 so I do remember playing Atari stuff when I was little. It was neat, but they were just severely downgraded arcade games with very little depth and poor controls (those joysticks, ugh). SMB on the NES, however, was a huge leap forward. I couldn't put it into words as a kid, but that was definitely The Thing. And the games just kept getting better over time.

I'd say the some of the VCS Activision games are still worth a look today, but not much else. I'm ok with the notion that console gaming started in earnest with Nintendo. Atari literally crashed the market, and none of their follow-ups were any good.

Same for me. I feel like the Atari Activision games are still pretty playable. I had a blast with that collection that came out on PS2 and I never owned any of the titles in it except for Pitfall.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

fishmech posted:

In NES and later games become recognizable environments and characters and enemies. Graphics are at a least a bare bar for functioning. Games can be legit good now without also being unusual for their system.

This applies to the Intellivision, I think. A lot of Inty games hold up extremely well, if you take the time to read the manuals, but I get the controller being an insurmountable barrier to entry.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, I think "oh what the christ" is pretty much everyone's response.

This feels more like a new Ouya or that weird retroconsole kickstarter scam than an actual platform. It's telling that among the general nerd community, the Atari consoles don't even "count" most of the time. They could have just announced themselves as a new console with a new brand and it would be exactly as effective.

This is screaming Coleco scam all over again. At least the Polymega had their hardware proto type out at E3 in front of everyone and wasn't trying to hide anything.

To me anything Atari is the kiss of death. Coleco.. Scam... somehow acquiring Jaguar console plastic injection molds was a reason to make a console? :haw:

I mean looking back as a kid, the 2600.. that was it for Atari for me and a few Arcade titles [Xybots, Gauntlet, etc growing up]. The Atari ST, and non 2600 consoles were an afterthought and even in the late 80's felt like Atari was on a death bed. You went to a game store back then and it was .. like a discombobulated pile of Atari stuff smashed into one shelf in the corner while the freaking TG-16 and Neo Geo had more product on the shelves which is saying something. Atari could have done something with the proper leadership, but the talent bailed on 70's Atari to form their own empires. Who was left?

Nobody, the wheels fell off Atari and it went to Jack Tramiel (who got kicked out of Commodore by Irvine Gould of all people). Gould the final nail in the coffin for Commodore and the Tramiel who piloted the remains of the zombie Atari corpse into oblivion. :doh:

I think the feeling is right that most gaming is defined by the post 83 crash.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 19, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Who likes a good cumshot?

https://twitter.com/erichurley90/status/887470012302319616

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I'm surprised the chip didn't cook itself under all that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Big K of Justice posted:

This is screaming Coleco scam all over again. At least the Polymega had their hardware proto type out at E3 in front of everyone and wasn't trying to hide anything.

This isn't a scam, it's pre-release PR for a crowdfunding campaign - they're trying to guarantee all eyes on the campaign when it launches and stirring up speculation is the easiest way to guarantee buzz, even if people are only idly interested in the product.

The rumour is that it's running a x86 SOC of some kind.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I think the reason people don't really care about the Atari 2600 is because the games were all score-based and had no end to them. Even stuff like Tetris on the Game Boy gives you a cool ending screen. I don't recall a single one of my friends ever giving a poo poo about points even in NES games (unless it was a puzzle game). I do remember enjoying Pitfall as a kid, and then slowly realizing everything was just a loop and there was no "end" to the game and I immediately turned it off (I was 7 years old or so when I remember playing it but I have a feeling this is the issue for a lot of gamers).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I do remember enjoying Pitfall as a kid, and then slowly realizing everything was just a loop and there was no "end" to the game and I immediately turned it off (I was 7 years old or so when I remember playing it but I have a feeling this is the issue for a lot of gamers).

Pitfall does have an end, though, doesn't the game intentionally softlock if you collect all 32 treasures?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

I think the reason people don't really care about the Atari 2600 is because the games were all score-based and had no end to them. Even stuff like Tetris on the Game Boy gives you a cool ending screen. I don't recall a single one of my friends ever giving a poo poo about points even in NES games (unless it was a puzzle game). I do remember enjoying Pitfall as a kid, and then slowly realizing everything was just a loop and there was no "end" to the game and I immediately turned it off (I was 7 years old or so when I remember playing it but I have a feeling this is the issue for a lot of gamers).

Ya, the difference between the 70's and early 80's arcade gamers vs the late 80's and 90's console gamers. This reflects in the majority of games on the home consoles of the time. Atari bringing the arcade home and NES (and later) being its own experience (with some arcade ports and arcade style games obviously).

Before anyone jumps on me, of course there are people who grew up in the 90s and frequented arcades and went for high scores at arcades as well as on home consoles, it just wasn't as big of a focus. Actually being able to beat Battletoads was of more importance to 8 yr olds than your score. Beating Mario in as little deaths as possible and quicker than your friends was a bigger focus for people I knew rather than that score in top corner of the screen.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This isn't a scam, it's pre-release PR for a crowdfunding campaign - they're trying to guarantee all eyes on the campaign when it launches and stirring up speculation is the easiest way to guarantee buzz, even if people are only idly interested in the product.

If nothing else, it might wind up being hacked into a nice emulation box. Like the NES Classic, except actually expandable.

Hell, if they just sold the shell and you could pop in something like a mini ITX board or a raspberry pi, they'd probably sell a bunch.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Got any more pics to this set :pervert:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Same pattern though. Dig up trademark ownership of an old brand, attempt to tickle the nostalgia nerve bundles of a few nerds to collect crowd funding money because no one in the industry is going to give them a dime in investment money.

Phantom, Coleco, same thing, at least Coleco had some entertainment value with guys passing off a SNES in duct tape inside an Atari Jaguar shell at a major trade show.

So what's this magic Atari box going to do that can't already be done or attempted to be done by everything from the Nvidia shield down to raspberry pi machines to steam pc boxes? An open Android/FPGA platform and hope people make stuff for it?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm looking at the 2600 library now and what the hell, it never got Galaga, trash console status maintained.

Big K of Justice posted:

Same pattern though. Dig up trademark ownership of an old brand, attempt to tickle the nostalgia nerve bundles of a few nerds to collect crowd funding money because no one in the industry is going to give them a dime in investment money.

Phantom, Coleco, same thing, at least Coleco had some entertainment value with guys passing off a SNES in duct tape inside an Atari Jaguar shell at a major trade show.

So what's this magic Atari box going to do that can't already be done or attempted to be done by everything from the Nvidia shield down to raspberry pi machines to steam pc boxes? An open Android/FPGA platform and hope people make stuff for it?

I don't think it'll do anything interesting or novel, aside from maybe offering exclusive games using Atari IP, but I think it's been made with more forethought than none at all and by people who know how to sell things, which is already more than can be said of Mike Kennedy.

I put this in the same category as ATGames' new HD Sega/Atari plug-and-plays - I'd like to think they might be respectable products, even if I have no desire to own them.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 19, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ya, the difference between the 70's and early 80's arcade gamers vs the late 80's and 90's console gamers. This reflects in the majority of games on the home consoles of the time. Atari bringing the arcade home and NES (and later) being its own experience (with some arcade ports and arcade style games obviously).

Before anyone jumps on me, of course there are people who grew up in the 90s and frequented arcades and went for high scores at arcades as well as on home consoles, it just wasn't as big of a focus. Actually being able to beat Battletoads was of more importance to 8 yr olds than your score. Beating Mario in as little deaths as possible and quicker than your friends was a bigger focus for people I knew rather than that score in top corner of the screen.

Yeah the arcades were a bit different in regards to score because people love to put their name in the high score field for everyone to see. Having the high score at home written on a piece of paper doesn't have the same importance.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I'm looking at the 2600 library now and what the hell, it never got Galaga, trash console status maintained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwPuuqTxV-I

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

I like 8-Bit guy enough but for someone who makes informational videos full time he doesn't do much research. Also lol at not including a single paddle-compatible game in a list of important games of the late-70s early 80s.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This is the reason why I don't like games like that. I was born in '87 so by the time I was gaming most arcade games I encountered were the kinds with a campaign and an ending.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

I like 8-Bit guy enough but for someone who makes informational videos full time he doesn't do much research. Also lol at not including a single paddle-compatible game in a list of important games of the late-70s early 80s.

Playing Pong with paddles changed how I thought about Pong. It's still fun as hell with 2 players

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

This is the reason why I don't like games like that. I was born in '87 so by the time I was gaming most arcade games I encountered were the kinds with a campaign and an ending.

I just look at games like that in the same way I do putting on a record I really like. You put it on because you like the way it makes you feel. You let it run its course and if you're still in the mood for it, you play it again.

There's a certain thrill when you're playing an score-based/arcade-style game to knowing that the game you're playing is (or is about to be) your personal best, too, but I'm not one of those 1cc kinda people.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pastry of the Year posted:

I just look at games like that in the same way I do putting on a record I really like. You put it on because you like the way it makes you feel. You let it run its course and if you're still in the mood for it, you play it again.

There's a certain thrill when you're playing an score-based/arcade-style game to knowing that the game you're playing is (or is about to be) your personal best, too, but I'm not one of those 1cc kinda people.

Yeah I mean this is why I still play Tetris Attack now but the only reason why I got into it to begin with was that there were actual campaigns. The reason I was motivated to keep playing and get better was to beat the next AI character at a match and eventually complete the story mode and see the ending. If the entire game was just score attack I would have gotten bored with it.

Scores just aren't a big motivator for me at all. By the time I was old enough to pick up a controller points have been reduced to this number that keeps getting bigger for no reason in Super Mario. By that time they've taken the back seat while "seeing the ending" has been established as the goal you should try for.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 19, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I don't think it'll do anything interesting or novel, aside from maybe offering exclusive games using Atari IP, but I think it's been made with more forethought than none at all and by people who know how to sell things, which is already more than can be said of Mike Kennedy.

I put this in the same category as ATGames' new HD Sega/Atari plug-and-plays - I'd like to think they might be respectable products, even if I have no desire to own them.

I kind of feel that if a Retro console of sorts had potential to be successful, the PSTV would have done way better than it did, since when it was in production it had all the major indie titles, a pretty big chunk of native Vita titles, and just about all the important PS1 games available for $6 or $10, with HDMI out, wireless controllers (supporting up to 4) and eventually fire-saled for like $20 with everything you need, and still supported physical copies of games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

univbee posted:

I kind of feel that if a Retro console of sorts had potential to be successful, the PSTV would have done way better than it did, since when it was in production it had all the major indie titles, a pretty big chunk of native Vita titles, and just about all the important PS1 games available for $6 or $10, with HDMI out, wireless controllers (supporting up to 4) and eventually fire-saled for like $20 with everything you need, and still supported physical copies of games.

It's why the Vita wound up being one of my most used handhelds, despite playing like 3 Vita games ever on it, specifically for the huge PS1/PSP library.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
From my experience with good discord: The varying degrees of experience/skill varies wildly and you usually don't end up with a leader. I've never checked kdr before, but I'll probably start encouraging the squad member with the highest squad kdr to call the shots. This probably will be bad too, but the disorganization of four strangers is chaotic.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
How difficult is it to mod a PS2 to load from a hard drive and is it worth doing if I already have most of the games I want? Is there anything else it can do? Like a media player or something.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

univbee posted:

What your system can or can't do doesn't really matter when the company that produces it smothers it in the crib.

I remember trying to preorder one and the guy telling me it would be cool if it played Vita games because nobody knew what the hell it was.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Gaz2k21 posted:

How difficult is it to mod a PS2 to load from a hard drive and is it worth doing if I already have most of the games I want? Is there anything else it can do? Like a media player or something.

If you have a phat with a network adapter, there's no mod necessary, but you'll need a method to load the exploit onto the memory card. I use a codebreaker, which will let you copy it off a thumb drive.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

univbee posted:

well you did a great job of listing all the reasons I bought a PSTV anyway

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ofecks posted:

Im born in the early 80s, and Atari was definitely "oh that thing your cousin played PacMan/Pong" to my parents.
I suppose its relation to gaming is like an early kinetoscope or Nickelodeon to A Trip to the Moon. Definitely formative but more of a historical footnote.
All the engineering tricks to get it to work are really fun to read about, though, and it does make me appreciate the limitations more.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I'm looking at getting a SNES since I've never actually owned one. Why are there a million super famicoms on ebay? This seems like a scam.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Breadallelogram posted:

I'm looking at getting a SNES since I've never actually owned one. Why are there a million super famicoms on ebay? This seems like a scam.

No idea why there are so many. Personally haven't checked. Defensively get a SNES. If you are thinking about getting a lot of games you might just want to pick up a flash cart because the prices on every game have skyrocketed in the last few years.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I'll definitely be going the flash cart route if I manage to snag a snes for a price I'm comfortable with. I've had an everdrive gba x5 for about a month and I love it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

What's that retrogame thread? You're not getting enough jealousy in your diet? Well, I guess I can help you there. Let me take you for a ride.

Marvel Vs Capcom 2 for the Xbox. $1. :dance:

Breadallelogram posted:

The Super Famicom is among the cheapest consoles to import because there's so drat many of them in Japan. But do not get one unless you're planning on just using Super Famicom carts. While SFC carts easily fit into a SNES with just a pair of pliers to get the nasty bits out of the way, SNES carts do not fit in SFC systems at all. You'd need to get some kind of slot extender which I'm sure exists, but save yourself the headache.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 19, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

You'd need to get some kind of slot extender which I'm sure exists, but save yourself the headache.

I seem to remember anecdotally from this thread that an American Game Genie will do just that.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Actually it looks like the super everdrive and sd2snes both work on jp systems... anyone here have hands-on experience with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

univbee posted:

I seem to remember anecdotally from this thread that an American Game Genie will do just that.

I know it works the other way - I used to be big into Parodius and I used one to play the Super Famicom games on a US SNES. I don't have a Super Famicom kicking around to test it that way though.

• Locked thread