Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is there a list somewhere of games that are cross play between Rift/Vive and PSVR users? The only one I know of offhand is Bridge Crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

AndrewP posted:

War Thunder is neat but made me feel nauseated after a while. Not sure why since I have no problem with Elite. Definitely worth a download to gently caress around for a while though.

Eve Valkrie made me feel queazy sometimes, but Elite didn't. I think there's more cockpit movement not associated with head movement in Eve, which can cause the unease. I was getting the same thing with Dirt Rally when it was set locked to horizon instead of locked to the cockpit of the car. Once I locked it to the car it was smooth from there. Seeing the outside bounce around wasn't an issue. Seeing the interior of the car bouncing around without being able to feel it was a different story.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Is there a list somewhere of games that are cross play between Rift/Vive and PSVR users? The only one I know of offhand is Bridge Crew.

Also Eagle Flight. VR cross play is the one argument that uPlay (both games are ubisoft uPlay games) is a good thing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also Werewolves Within, the redheaded stepchild of Ubi's VR experiment.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
There is one problem with Elite I'm having and it's controls. My HOTAS doesn't arrive until Friday so right now I'm making do with a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 from 2001ish. It just doesn't have enough buttons so I constantly have to use the keyboard, and my keyboard and monitor aren't in my line of site when I'm doing VR because I have an L shaped desk and put my sim stuff on one branch of the L so I'm not dragging a racing wheel, pedals, joystick, etc around on the same desk as my monitor, mouse, and keyboard. I'm hoping the cheap-rear end HOTAS I bought (thrustmaster hotas x) has enough buttons that using the keyboard will be a rarity..

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

GutBomb posted:

There is one problem with Elite I'm having and it's controls. My HOTAS doesn't arrive until Friday so right now I'm making do with a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 from 2001ish. It just doesn't have enough buttons so I constantly have to use the keyboard, and my keyboard and monitor aren't in my line of site when I'm doing VR because I have an L shaped desk and put my sim stuff on one branch of the L so I'm not dragging a racing wheel, pedals, joystick, etc around on the same desk as my monitor, mouse, and keyboard. I'm hoping the cheap-rear end HOTAS I bought (thrustmaster hotas x) has enough buttons that using the keyboard will be a rarity..

If you have an Xbox controller or a dualshock those might be better stopgaps until the HOTAS arrives; there are dedicated control setups for those brought over from the console versions that don't need the keyboard.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It's got a decent amount of buttons but there's still not enough for everything Elite has buttons for. Honestly for Elite, I'd set up Voice Attack. Either that or put your keyboard in front of you so you can see out the nose hole, but that's not nearly as easy or cool ("cool") as commanding your ship through voice commands.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

AndrewP posted:

It's got a decent amount of buttons but there's still not enough for everything Elite has buttons for. Honestly for Elite, I'd set up Voice Attack. Either that or put your keyboard in front of you so you can see out the nose hole, but that's not nearly as easy or cool ("cool") as commanding your ship through voice commands.

I get a lot of blur if I leave any sort of nose gap so that's out but voice attack seems really cool. I'd much rather say the commands I'm not going to use that often than have to go for the keyboard.

There's a keyboard in my ship when I look down and left, if I could just use the touch controllers on that keyboard I'd be happy.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

GutBomb posted:

I have a Saitek X52 Pro, which has tons of buttons. If I used the modes, I bet I could do literally everything.

But I also use VoiceAttack to supplement it for things I don't want to waste buttons on.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I was able to map everything with a Saitek X-45, only ever had to use keyboard for typing in system names in the galaxy map.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Enos Cabell posted:

I was able to map everything with a Saitek X-45, only ever had to use keyboard for typing in system names in the galaxy map.

I have an xbone controller with one of those chat-pad keyboards. I think that functions in windows as just a standard keyboard. I should keep that on hand for that because I can touch type on that thing without seeing it, and it's much better than moving a whole keyboard around to the other desk.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I read the threads on r/vive when they were complaining about it, and honestly it sounds to me like buyer's remorse. They dropped 800 bucks on a headset + 100 bucks for adapters, and it still doesn't look as good as they imagined it would (and it never will because this is 1st gen tech) so they get all pissy and throw a fit. Obviously it's the lenses that are ruining the experience! :byodood:

I dropped 100 bucks for the adapters, and they're not suitable for people with high myopia such as myself. I have a vastly superior experience (night and day difference) using my glasses with the Vive set two notches back than with using the lens adapters where the distortion is so bad that it kills the 3D effect.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 19, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I have an xbone controller with one of those chat-pad keyboards. I think that functions in windows as just a standard keyboard. I should keep that on hand for that because I can touch type on that thing without seeing it, and it's much better than moving a whole keyboard around to the other desk.

drat, that's actually a great idea.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
For you Rift users: One of those threads that allows you to tweak your guardian boundaries also linked to this tool: https://github.com/Sgeo/Guardian2Chaperone
Supposedly it just automatically copies your Oculus Room setup data to SteamVR, fixes the floor height, makes the play area match and turns off the chaperone.

I was going to mess with this last weekend but got caught up in stuff, seems really useful though.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

^^^^^^ Now that is a useful tool. Using it along with the SteamVR injector would make VR sessions so much more cohesive.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Hey this is cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu9OgM5Kvoc

Google made a metaverse camera or something. Should be super-relevant to people doing the virtualising volumetric stuff.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

w00tazn posted:

For you Rift users: One of those threads that allows you to tweak your guardian boundaries also linked to this tool: https://github.com/Sgeo/Guardian2Chaperone
Supposedly it just automatically copies your Oculus Room setup data to SteamVR, fixes the floor height, makes the play area match and turns off the chaperone.

I was going to mess with this last weekend but got caught up in stuff, seems really useful though.

I've used this tool and the resulting boundries to be atrociously uneven and too detailed. However, I have not tried it since discovering Guardian Boundry Editor where you can make a really clean Guardian map, which might mean converting into a good Chaperone boundry easily. I'll check it out tonight and revise my list.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.
Picked up a rift on account of the sale price being so good.

Having a great time with stuff like Arizona Sunshine and Robo Recall.

I also picked up the Batman VR game, Superhot VR, and The Unspoken.

I'm also kinda trying to stream this stuff, anyone know of any decent ways to get things like twitch chat on screen?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

IceOrb posted:

Picked up a rift on account of the sale price being so good.

Having a great time with stuff like Arizona Sunshine and Robo Recall.

I also picked up the Batman VR game, Superhot VR, and The Unspoken.

I'm also kinda trying to stream this stuff, anyone know of any decent ways to get things like twitch chat on screen?

There are a few applications for SteamVR, all made by the same guy, and they take a bit of CPU/GPU to pull it off. There is another one called Hello V, made by some goons who post in this thread (Hi EdEddnEddy!) I haven't used it yet so I'm not sure if it does quite what you are looking for: http://www.hellov.io/

Free and maybe most efficient: OpenVRTwitchChat - https://github.com/Hotrian/OpenVRTwitchChat
a self contained, somewhat ugly and a little janky application for putting twitch chat into an overlay you can do all kinds of VR attachments with.

There is a related free application by the same guy that came a little later that let you put ANY application into a VR overlay called OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal, which you can find here: https://github.com/Hotrian/OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal
Its a larger resource hog and even jankier but works 99% the same as OpenVRTwitchChat.

OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal turned into the pay-for OVRDrop on Steam, which got a lot better, but still uses a fair amount of resources and has some scalability issues. The dev recently posted he needed to really rework OVRDrop from the ground up to turn it into what it should be. and that is what he is working on. If you aren't playing a resource heavy competitive multiplayer game it will probably serve you really well.

However, if you are just looking at getting Twitch chat into your stream and want the lowest resource utilization for that and don't mind it looking kind of crappy, its probably best to work with OpenVRTwitchChat for now.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

IceOrb posted:

Do you mean you want to see the twitch chat in your VR headset or output to the stream itself? If you just want it on the stream then just add it as a second source using OBS/XSplit.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.

rage-saq posted:

A ton of words....

Dude thank you!

Was way more than I was expecting.

I'll look into these, thanks again.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Enos Cabell posted:

I know Eve Valkyrie does, but I think its a weird thing where the people on pc/psvr can't party together but can play in matches together. Maybe thats changed, not sure. Also SportsBar VR is supposed to be adding cross play with their next update, so i'd say look into that as well.

GutBomb posted:

The hotax X miiiight not be able to get every last command onto it, but you should be able to make a decent go of it with the most common commands if you just use a couple modifier keys. Elite makes this easier than any game I've played as well, when you're binding a button, just hold down the key you want to be the modifier and press the the button you want to activate the command with. It works really well with no fuss. You can easily double the buttons on the stick (including every direction on the hats), and you could set a second modifier to basically triple it, which on the hotas x should get you 26 commands with 1 modifier, and 36 with 2. Most of your major commands should be taken care of with that, though things like you cargo scoop or landing gear might be worth binding to easy to reach keys on your keyboard still, or just using voice attack like was suggested.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

As the local Wave shill, I will advertise that we're stress testing the home cave party system with a meetup tonight. The DJs will be in the main Expanse lobby from 5PST to friend up for the show at 6PST. Come for lights and music and VRLSD.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My very tacticlol ProTubeVR showed up while I was at the gym. Looks and feels badass, gonna try it with some games tonight.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

Lol he wants to do a VR episode of Brooklyn nine-nine.... I love you T Crews.

Make it an episode with the whole cast stuck in a multiplayer Job Simulator meets Second Life like setting for "sensitivity training (of the future)" or something.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Taintrunner posted:

My very tacticlol ProTubeVR showed up while I was at the gym. Looks and feels badass, gonna try it with some games tonight.

Sup ProTube buddy. I was doing some Operations in Onward last night with fellow goons BurtLington and Nalin, will do them again tonight, you should join us!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Someone make an MLOK attachment for the Oculus Touch please

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

rage-saq posted:

I've used this tool and the resulting boundries to be atrociously uneven and too detailed. However, I have not tried it since discovering Guardian Boundry Editor where you can make a really clean Guardian map, which might mean converting into a good Chaperone boundry easily. I'll check it out tonight and revise my list.

It actually works great in combination with guardian boundary editor!!!

It's really lovely to have some nice clean boundaries finally. Thanks so much for the tips, y'all!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rage-saq posted:

Sup ProTube buddy. I was doing some Operations in Onward last night with fellow goons BurtLington and Nalin, will do them again tonight, you should join us!

Hell yeah! I'm Taintrunner on Discord. I plan on jumping on in a few hours.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Just got the oculus in the sale. Loving it.

I have an RX 570 currently and it seems to be working well enough (though I had some frame drops a couple times during some sessions).

Question:
If I have a relatively under powered CPU (FX-8350), but I got like the top of the like 1080 GeForce, would it actually be worth it or would my CPU be bottle necking my GPU/Gaming performance? Would I be able to supersample and stuff, try to get the most out the oculus?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Gozinbulx posted:

I have an RX 570 currently and it seems to be working well enough (though I had some frame drops a couple times during some sessions).

Question:
If I have a relatively under powered CPU (FX-8350), but I got like the top of the like 1080 GeForce, would it actually be worth it or would my CPU be bottle necking my GPU/Gaming performance? Would I be able to supersample and stuff, try to get the most out the oculus?

I have that cpu, 8 gigs and a 1080. most stuff runs very well but if you go to ultra or supersample you will get some reprojection on certain games. however I've heard that really any supersampling on more graphically complex games can lead to reprojection, it's just people don't notice it.

for what it's worth, oculus' reprojection system is better than the vive's, so your experience may be overall a bit better than mine on that headset

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Gozinbulx posted:

Question:

No matter what, the CPU is going to drag performance down. Benchmarks show something like a 30 fps gain by switching to something like an i5-6600K with the same GPU. I mean, most VR games are designed to hit 90 fps on a GTX 970, so overkilling it with a 1080 could make up for your weak CPU. But you may encounter problems with CPU heavy games anyway.

Since upgrading your CPU will also require a motherboard and RAM upgrade, I would just start saving up now so you can upgrade CPU+MB+RAM+GPU when NVIDIA's Volta chips come out and just deal with your lowered performance in the meantime.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dude thank you. I was just thinking about this and you've basically wrote a how to.

Thanks again.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

rage-saq posted:

SteamVR mostly piggybacks off Oculus Home for Rifts, and you have to duplicate getting it setup in steamVR and then its just kind of annoying. The optimal way to get it all setup is to use a few tools, which I've listed below.

saqs handy list of max VR sperging/tuning, listed in the order you will probably want to use them

1: Deskscene
Have your Oculus Guardian walls displayed in VR and see your sensors field of view and where they intersect, helps with optimizing sensor placement/orientation. Your sensors have a maximum range of about 8ft so you will want to make sure you have multiple angles of coverage if you go further than that.
https://www.wearvr.com/apps/desk-scene-check-your-camera-bounds

2: Guardian Boundry Editor
Now that your sensor positions are optimized, make your boundry walls straight and clean! Back them up / restore them after tuning them incrementally and precisely instead of running the fully integrated setup that only lets you start all the way over. Very useful!
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6iezwq/guardian_boundary_editor_customizestraighten_your/

3: ChaperoneTweak
Once your Guardian Boundries are optimized you will want to get the Chaperone boundries setup in a similar fashion. I am not a fan of the SteamVR setup with a rift. This gives you yet another virtual room to see your Chaperone walls and defined floor space. Use the controllers to move around the chaperone walls so they overlap your guardian boundries and maximize your floor space.
https://github.com/Xavr0k/ChaperoneTweak

4: Advanced OpenVR Settings plugin
A handy set of general VR tools in a steamVR plugin, lots of options. My most frequently used feature is supersampling adjustment, which you can now do without an application restart. I also like to enable the center floor marker and disable my chaperone walls since the guardian walls are already on anyways. Sometimes the steamVR floor gets goofed up and this lets you do a floor fix very easily.
https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings/releases

5: Oculus Tray Tool
A number of oculus specific tweaks along with monitors and a profile that lets you change supersampling/ASW per application. Lots of SteamVR games don't have a native Oculus runtime and so they do not support a native Oculus feature called Asynchronous Spacewarp (ASW) and some games do not deal well with being forced to run at 45fps, so the thing to do is disable ASW. The Oculus Tray Tool can automate this for you so you don't have to think about it after you set it up. Note that per-profile supersampling controls for SteamVR games will not work because the game isn't detected until after SteamVR is running, and once an application is running you cannot change the supersampling level with the Oculus software. Just use Advanced OpenVR settings to control your supersampling for SteamVR games.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5okoju/oculus_tray_tool/

Oculus users seriously have to put up with all that poo poo just to use SteamVR? WTG facebook.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Oculus users seriously have to put up with all that poo poo just to use SteamVR? WTG facebook.

No no, nothing there is required. They're just handy utilities, but honestly all you have to do is start up steamVR and it will run you through the setup the first time. Thats it.

Everything he listed is useful for the tinkerer to fine tune things, but absolutely none of it is required for it to work just fine.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

No. I personally just left it alone and am super happy. The borders don't ruin my immersion at all, and I personally like having steams be my "oh poo poo" wall.

I feel like you could use one tool to merge them. And use the oculus tray and be done with it. Honestly. I'm still rookie with all this Vr stuff but it's all pretty simple and with the tray thing, it really solves the core issues with oculus home anyways. Persistent running services and poo poo.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I haven't done any of that. All I did was make the steam walls as faint as possible and just use the oculus ones.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

If anyone does want to just use the steam walls while in steamVR programs, a handy tip if you didn't know is from the oculus menu (the one you bring up pressing the "O" button on the right touch), you can turn off the oculus walls in about 2 seconds.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

As a cool and sexy Vive user I had to deal with the floor jumping up or down 6 inches or so every time I started up SteamVR until I myself downloaded an app someone made to specifically add the ability to reset floor height without running the entire room setup again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
VR: It's great, just follow this 93 step guide to set it up and then wait two minutes for everything to settle down.