Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

:stare: using one of those as a planter seems like a really bad idea. Those things can be REALLY drat sharp, and prone to rust.

And they're bad not just for the safety reasons mentioned, but for the metal taking in heat from the sun and overheating the soil if it gets hot in the summer. Not the best thing for the plants, which are probably used to having a generally-consistent soil temp on account of, y'know, being buried underground.
I remember running into this with houseplants when comparing black plastic pots vs. Terracotta. That and plastic retains too much moisture compared to the clay, which is porous. I'm sure metal isn't going to be letting anything through except heat.

So not only is it a dumb way to "upcycle" (aren't they all?), but it's not even good for its new intended purpose. Haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MisterOblivious posted:

An old old old old long single-axle trailer like this that you can't safely tow above 45mph:

All the dishes got broken and the car kept driving and nobody would stop to save her.

e: And yes I know that's not the right kind of trailer for that joke.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

TTerrible posted:

A three phase one is a new level. Nice. :stare:

Honestly, the industry could fill its own OSHA.txt thread. All the headline stage collapses due to bad rigging are the tip of an enormous iceberg.

I'd be all over a tech/production/touring/theatre thread. Been thinking about starting one, but I'm only a local tech, and almost all of my experience has been for a student-run production company and college theatre.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Yeah acid is just drifting and slight distortions, full on level 8A / 8B geometry requires DMT, but you still don't typically get shapes that "can't exist".

Or you just get really dehydrated running a security barricade, and when you take a leak, the patterns on the stall walls start rippling.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/thinkdefence/status/887688473699909633

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Brute Squad posted:

I'd be all over a tech/production/touring/theatre thread. Been thinking about starting one, but I'm only a local tech, and almost all of my experience has been for a student-run production company and college theatre.

Or you just get really dehydrated running a security barricade, and when you take a leak, the patterns on the stall walls start rippling.

The closest thing is this live sound megathread. Come and join us and keep it alive.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

wowowow

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Since the tweet apparently vanished

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

screenshot your damned tweets ffs. anything good gets deleted in seconds

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Azhais posted:

Since the tweet apparently vanished

Maybe because someone realized that was a guaranteed derailment fiasco in progress?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

that picture is years old

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

VectorSigma posted:

And a joke set up by the fire department iirc

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I can't even believe what I'm reading here. Over here it would be so loving illegal for employers to demand a drug test from their employees/applicants, a company trying it would be sued into the ground, and whoever runs that company get into big trouble themselves. It's one of the largest violations of privacy laws I can think of.

Just.... lol america, I suppose.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Americans talking about their jobs and shocking everyone else in the first world is basically a recurring joke everywhere on the Internet

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Carbon dioxide posted:

I can't even believe what I'm reading here. Over here it would be so loving illegal for employers to demand a drug test from their employees/applicants, a company trying it would be sued into the ground, and whoever runs that company get into big trouble themselves. It's one of the largest violations of privacy laws I can think of.

Yeah but your service probably sucks so, you know, trade-offs.

E:

Spatial posted:

Americans talking about their jobs and shocking everyone else in the first world is basically a recurring joke everywhere on the Internet

Internet, hell! I used to do this IRL all the time. It's funny, but maybe it was jusy a distraction from actually doing anything about the problem.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 19, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Lol America?

You mean "Lol America, Great Britain, Ireland, France, Finland, Norway, Germany, Italy, Spain, Canada, Australia, Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina, New Zealand..."

Where are you, exactly?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic posted:

Lol America?

You mean "Lol America, Great Britain, Ireland, France, Finland, Norway, Germany, Italy, Spain, Canada, Australia, Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina, New Zealand..."

Where are you, exactly?

erm, no-one does standardised drug testing for regular employees in any of those countries except for america lol

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I think mine sites do testing here (Australia) because FIFO miners are bored as poo poo and use drugs a lot.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

JFairfax posted:

erm, no-one does standardised drug testing for regular employees in any of those countries except for america lol

He said "Over here it would be so loving illegal for employers to demand a drug test from their employees/applicants, a company trying it would be sued into the ground." He didn't say they don't do it, he says they're forbidden from doing it by law.

http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/html.cfm/index16901EN.html

Every single one of those counties allows for pre-employment testing or for regular testing of employees in certain industries, and companies trying it aren't sued into the ground.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think the idea is that in civilized countries you can only drug test for jobs where drug use would impact life safety, like a pilot or a heavy equipment operating. The IT guy or the data entry lady aren't tested and can do whatever drugs they want in their free time.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I got back from the Martin Guitar factory and I was kinda surprised the employees worked in their street clothes. I figured steel boots would be required, but nope

Even the dump chemical plant I worked at gave us lackeys company shirts/pants

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
A huge budget film production in Vancouver tried to force all crew members to take a criminal records check through an American company because there were children in the cast. It was laughed down hard by the unions and the government labour relations board.

It wasn't so much the idea of the check itself but more that it was through a U.S. company that could conceivably release the records to the U.S. government and jeopardize the privacy of the Canadian citizens. They settled on only checking crew that were working directly with the kids and only with a wholly Canadian company.

The movie tanked anyways. Trucks with monsters in them? DAFUQ?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Phanatic posted:

He said "Over here it would be so loving illegal for employers to demand a drug test from their employees/applicants, a company trying it would be sued into the ground." He didn't say they don't do it, he says they're forbidden from doing it by law.

http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/html.cfm/index16901EN.html

Every single one of those counties allows for pre-employment testing or for regular testing of employees in certain industries, and companies trying it aren't sued into the ground.

Most of them only allow it in VERY specific cases, where the 'works council', which consists of representatives of the employees, has to agree, AND there has to be a justifiable cause "directly connected to the job itself". Then they have to make a document detailing the company's drug & alcohol policies, including in what specific cases, drug tests are used, and why (e.g. a valid reason could be because the person is controlling dangerous, heavy machinery). Every employee in the company needs to read this document.

I've just been looking at some jurisdiction in the Netherlands. It's hard to find specific information, mostly because these tests are so rare. But it seems that first of all, to get anywhere with the works council, the employer must be, before all else, FAIR. That means the drug tests apply to EVERYONE including the CEO. And, they should give the right example. So no alcoholic drinks during business dinners.

Jurisdiction says that if someone is found *carrying* drugs at the workplace, this is no grounds for sacking them. Just carrying it (instead of using) does not imply they will cause safety violations.

It also says that if, through a drug test or otherwise, it is discovered someone has a drug addiction, the employer cannot sack them, because a drug addiction is considered a sickness. This means that actually, the employer will have to arrange for paid sick leave for this employee, for a long period of time.

And, all kinds of privacy laws come into play when, for a drug test, personal medical data needs to be processed or stored. This is never allowed, except in cases specifically written in the law, such as the drug tests for airliner pilots. So how do you do drug tests without processing personal medical data? I'm guessing it has to be done by a third party, independent medical organisation, who then sends the employer nothing but the conclusion (positive/negative), after having gotten the employee's written permission.

So no, it's nothing like the USA where they seem to do blanket drug tests for no reason at all except "we dislike drugs".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I think the idea is that in civilized countries you can only drug test for jobs where drug use would impact life safety, like a pilot or a heavy equipment operating.

That's why I asked where he lived. I have a vague memory that it's New Zealand, but in New Zealand you can definitely test everyone as pre-employment screening if you want to. It's sure not illegal.

Most drug testing in the US is ironically for jobs where the employer doesn't even give a poo poo if you use drugs on your own time, but is just worried that drugged-out employees will start stealing poo poo. So basically the same employers where you take a 100-question personality test as part of your interview, where a whole bunch of the questions are things like:

When is it okay so steal from an employer?
A. To feed your family
B. To buy drugs
C. It's okay if it's just little things like paperclips.
D. Never stealing is always wrong under all circumstances.

And subtle variations thereof. Which is maybe an understandable worry, but it leads to silly results. Here's a partial listing of jobs I've had:

Garbageman - no drug test
Groundskeeper - no drug test
Circuit City salesdroid - drug test
Bomb tech - no drug test
Flight test engineer - no drug test.

It's fuckin' weird for sure, but saying that the US is the only country where standardized drug tests are allowed by law is just wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-TB-qTaXSM

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Carbon dioxide posted:

So no, it's nothing like the USA where they seem to do blanket drug tests for no reason at all except "we dislike drugs".

it's not like this in the USA either. white collar professionals never take drug tests, and you're unlikely to face drug tests as a preemployment sceen except in low wage retail jobs where they are really checking to weed out potential thieves, and jobs with a decent amount of liability due to heavy equipment. and even then it's a tossup between "how much do i want to screen out pot smokers" vs. "how many fewer applicants will i get if i piss test"

like food service never tests for drugs because one of the perks of restaurant work is finding people who will sell you drugs

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

boner confessor posted:

. white collar professionals never take drug tests,

I did. at least initially. I've never been tested again but everyone at my white collar department was tested before starting work.

I mean this is all anecdotes/data stuff but there's drug testing everywhere depending on how much an rear end in a top hat your employer is. It's the fact that they are free to be as much of an rear end in a top hat as they like that's the problem.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

boner confessor posted:

like food service never tests for drugs because one of the perks of restaurant work is finding people who will sell you drugs

A restaurant that drug tests would never have enough employees to open the doors.

Also, a properly-administered chain-of-evidence-complete drug test isn't cheap. A couple hundred dollars, minimum. Companies only use them when they HAVE to.

I'm subject to random, on-the-spot drug testing. :(

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
most places only drug test when they are actively looking for reasons to either fire you, or trying to find a way to get out of paying or taking blame for accidents.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

any white collar job where client personal or credit information is accessible to you is going to require a drug test, and most likely a background and credit check too

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
or just to threaten you arbitrarily because they want to "keep you on your best behavior"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My work is supposed to drug test randomly, apart from the three-yearly opt-in health checks they've never taken my blood.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

VectorSigma posted:

I guess I really am out of touch... ah well

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My employer (white collar, West Coast US sales/software) says they can drug test, but never does. I did have to go thru a background check to get hired, which turned up a non-violent arrest in my past and caused a hang-up because I didn't disclose it. Sorry, guyz, I got arrested for not paying a traffic fine. Y'all said, "Don't bother with traffic related poo poo," on the form. Be clearer next time.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I had to agree to being drug tested but we only test people if they're scratching their face off and leaving blood smears on their desk, or laughing for multiple minutes at the coffee machine.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I have worked 6 different jobs, none of them drug tested, I am in the US, and can confirm the only job I applied for that asked for a drug test was to be a low level employee at Jewel (possibly bagger, I forget, I was 16), I thanked the guy for his time and walked out as soon as he mentioned drug test. I also smoked a lot of weed at 16 and maybe I have done it since then, but would never do so at, or before, work.

*edit*

Actually, we might do drug tests on NEW employees now because our largest client (a huge retailer) requires it, but they (the client) didn't want to pay to have the 70-100 current employees drug tested. My manager specifically talked to me about it like 2 months before it happened as a warning, I was like "Thanks dude, don't smoke weed or do drugs though" *cough*

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 19, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dillbag posted:

A huge budget film production in Vancouver tried to force all crew members to take a criminal records check through an American company because there were children in the cast. It was laughed down hard by the unions and the government labour relations board.

It wasn't so much the idea of the check itself but more that it was through a U.S. company that could conceivably release the records to the U.S. government and jeopardize the privacy of the Canadian citizens. They settled on only checking crew that were working directly with the kids and only with a wholly Canadian company.

The movie tanked anyways. Trucks with monsters in them? DAFUQ?

Shoulda drug-tested the writers and producers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yawgmoth posted:

I had to agree to being drug tested but we only test people if they're scratching their face off and leaving blood smears on their desk, or laughing for multiple minutes at the coffee machine.

Laughing for multiple minutes at the covfefe machine, in 2017?

Why, I never!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Platystemon posted:

Laughing for multiple minutes at the covfefe machine, in 2017?

Why, I never!

If you're happy at work, obviously you're high, because work is supposed to destroy you.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I dodged a drug test today because my manager hosed up and waited a whole day after the incident to queue up the test.

The guy from the lab was like "yeah you can't test this guy..." and the only reason it was even brought up is because I balked at the usefulness of a breathalyzer for something that happened a day ago, then the dude looked at the form and realized it had yesterday's date on it.

Live to work another day.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My job drug tests for minesite employees, random screen for opiates, weed and amphetamines. A dude driving a 200-ton ore truck with 400-ton of ore on the back of it isn't someone you want tweaking or sedated.

Well maybe this thread wants that, but I don't want to be anywhere near it.

Unloading a 'dozer at a Western Australia mine in the late 80s. The most important thing to note is that nothing happening here is breaching OH&S laws. The past is a different country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

My work is supposed to drug test randomly, apart from the three-yearly opt-in health checks they've never taken my blood.

Get a minor workplace injury and see how many cups you have to pee in.