Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

The washer in the kitchen surprised me but makes perfect sense for plumbing and hot water.

Also our houses tend to be smaller and second/third toilets/baths small too, so the kitchen is usually the only plumbed room with any space. This is also why we have a prevalence for front load machines so they can go under kitchen counters.

Houses with a little more space tend to go for a utility room to house these units (dishwasher stays in the kitchen) and usually adds a sink used for messy non food purposes.

Edit: we also under no circumstances have communal washing machines in a building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Youth Decay posted:

Well, that house is only $249,000. Partly because it's in bumfuck nowhere Illinois, but also because it's mostly original. The more expensive MCM houses have updated finishes, though often they put in really generic kitchens/baths that don't go with the rest of the house.
Example:
Oh look a nice little mid-century houwait, what's that in the corner?

Oooooh noooooo

At least pick the right shade of wood ffs

There's also a big difference between architect-designed showpiece houses and your average mid-century ranch. The bathrooms in this house are awesome.

Yeah, that kitchen is awful and a great example of when not respecting the house's design goes wrong. Those bathrooms are awesome, though they could stand to have SOME updating, but you can't to too much and ruin the original intent.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

It would be really hard to enjoy a bath (or spending much time at all) in this one without getting a headache

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Why yes I do want to break my neck at 3 AM when going to take a piss.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I think upgrading his breaker box, wiring and electric shower cost slightly less than the bigger boiler so he went with that.

electric on-demand is... punishing. especially whole-house. it's probably good if the house is built with that in the design, but almost any retrofit is going to require a higher amperage service to the breaker panel for any significant amount of heat

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Just taking a dump while watching laundry spin. Don't mind me.
This show sucks. I can't keep track of all the characters and the plot just goes in circles.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Not even Tolix chairs? gently caress this place

Enfys posted:

It would be really hard to enjoy a bath (or spending much time at all) in this one without getting a headache

What throws me off is the regular-rear end door leading to the sauna. Shouldn't it have something more.. sauna-esque?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It should be a big partially frosted glass window door and have words stenciled on the glass like "HOT" and "CALM" and "RELAX"

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Youth Decay posted:

There's also a big difference between architect-designed showpiece houses and your average mid-century ranch. The bathrooms in this house are awesome.

Daaaaaaaaaamn...

My house only has *one* sunken tub. I feel so inadequate now. .

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bad Munki posted:

It should be a big partially frosted glass window door and have words stenciled on the glass like "HOT" and "CALM" and "RELAX"

No door alliteration, value of the home drops 3% unless you put a Barefoot Pinot Grigio in the shot.

SIT SPLASH SCRUB

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 19, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

This show sucks. I can't keep track of all the characters and the plot just goes in circles.

Is it another soap opera?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Improve your digestive health: poop to the soothing rhythms of a washing machine.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Those cabinets/drawers don't have any handles or drawer pulls or anything like that. They don't look like the kind that have a lip on the bottom so you can grab that to open them.

Locked pantry. Inaccessible drawers. What the gently caress kind of kitchen is this?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah a code lock on the pantry door? Yeah no handles either. Is this a group home for retarded children or something?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Staged model home for a development, most likely. The "pantry" probably has stuff they don't want people walking off with (signage, files, etc.).

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

A hidden microwave behind a chalk drawing of a microwave how delightfully meta Pinterest

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

You can buy a small scottish island starting at £325,000.

https://www.galbraithgroup.com/property/cad170101-little-ross-island-kirkcudbright-dg6-4tr

It comes with a country house with a somewhat baffling arrangement of fireplaces:

Oh, and one of the lighthouse keepers murdered his colleague there in the sixties.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ESDK posted:

You can buy a small scottish island starting at £325,000.

https://www.galbraithgroup.com/property/cad170101-little-ross-island-kirkcudbright-dg6-4tr

It comes with a country house with a somewhat baffling arrangement of fireplaces:

Oh, and one of the lighthouse keepers murdered his colleague there in the sixties.

quote:

The purchasers should be in no doubt that they should be proficient seaman and will require their own boat (or helicopter) to get to and from the Island.
That definitely sounds like a prime murderin' property.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Haifisch posted:

That definitely sounds like a prime murderin' property.

not really since apparently the lighthouse keepers union or whatever owns most structures on there. i'm not buying my own loving island to play second fiddle to a loving automated lighthouse whose lighthouse janitors i have to share a jetty and courtyard with.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 20, 2017

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Also the Queen:

quote:

Ross Island is a 29 acre island (rather more at low tide, although the additional land is owned by Her Majesty the Queen!)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Enfys posted:

Also the Queen

Pretty much all foreshore (low tide to high tide) is owned by the crown or various regional duchies: https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/our-business/faqs/#howmuchforeshoredoestcemanage

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Pretty much all foreshore (low tide to high tide) is owned by the crown or various regional duchies: https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/our-business/faqs/#howmuchforeshoredoestcemanage

she also technically owns an enormous amount of canada

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Also technically owns every inch of the UK but only as a fallback, compared to the shores and river/seabeds which are under more direct ownership. Also all whales. (not wales)

The "inhabited" parts of canada or the vast snowy wastes?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Wtf you weren't kidding; there are Royal Fish

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Enfys posted:

Wtf you weren't kidding; there are Royal Fish

Royal mammals, dammit!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Haifisch posted:

Just taking a dump while watching laundry spin. Don't mind me.

I have a washer dryer in my bathroom to the left of the toilet. It's a good spot and I'm lucky to have hook ups in a 750 sq ft space!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Also technically owns every inch of the UK but only as a fallback, compared to the shores and river/seabeds which are under more direct ownership. Also all whales. (not wales)

The "inhabited" parts of canada or the vast snowy wastes?

what the rest of the world calls federal land. i'm sure there's some super fancy legal difference.

the worst i have to deal with is rear end-old restrictive covenants from when the logging company sold this property to the city. after looking through scanned handwritten notes from 1957, as far as i can tell i just can't operate a nursing home.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

And now I present the ultra-rare McMidCenturyModern. This house was built in 2016.
All those 50s houses had one roofline, let's put 7 on ours.

Backside is uglier.

Despite the attempt to be ~modern~ the telltale obnoxious talll foyer of the McMansion remains. That sideboard ain't foolin nobody. Also "an art" x7.

gently caress your Noguchi coffee side table

Oh god are wood-veneer fridges making a comeback

"If we put MCM furniture in the house maybe people will believe us"

Nice Ikea rug

"Hippies use back door" Get it? Because it's the 1960s? lolololol

More an arts scavenged from Etsy

Put a teepee in here to show that our un-PC mid-century children live here. Said mid-century children must share their room even though the house is 5700 sf.

A rug so nice they staged it twice

At some point they gave up on the MCM decor and just put in more generic poo poo

Spy on your fellow McMansionites from your tiny tub

The whole thing is just so half-assed it makes me sad

There are so many lovely renovated real MCM houses that are better built and for a fraction of the price of this, I just don't get it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Youth Decay posted:

Despite the attempt to be ~modern~ the telltale obnoxious talll foyer of the McMansion remains. That sideboard ain't foolin nobody. Also "an art" x7.
You'd think we'd be better at making garages that don't look like house tumors by now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So they have some sort of ok mid-century stuff going on INSIDE but how the gently caress did they still manage to do just a typical mcmansion outside? There's absolutely nothing "mid-century modern" about that exterior, nothing.
I really like elements of the interior, but they didn't go "all the way" in some key areas and instead went "mcmansion modern" yet went overboard on other areas.

This house gets the mid-century modern look about right

Here's an actual vintage one

And a more 'artistical' one

Hmm it's almost like there's a very strong defining theme of simple generally low-pitch roofs with mid century modern house design...

I'd love to build a house like that one day, and do the interior right. Tastefully mid-century modern without going overboard or looking like a mid-century theme hotel. The old houses are nice and generally well built but in the mid-century we didn't know gently caress all about glazing and it's all single pane metal frame windows that leak like hell. It's super hard and expensive to get them re-done as it all needs to be custom replaced and modern commercial curtain wall glazing tends to have thicker muntins and such which can ruin the look and it's just an expensive poo poo show.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 21, 2017

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Youth Decay posted:

There are so many lovely renovated real MCM houses that are better built and for a fraction of the price of this, I just don't get it.

Ugh but those houses are used. And so small. Most of them don't even have a walk-in closet off the master suite. How could anyone live there?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also a lot of people just go "mid century is in!!" and do everything from tiki to mid-century kitch. The key word in mid-century modern is modern. Quality wood in simple straight, usually horizontal lines. It's not just "oh is this thing from the 50's? Perfect!!"

For instance this is borderline googie

This is full on

There are always many styles going on at the same time, certainly trends shared throughout, but still distinct styles. If you want to get some mid-century furniture, some old neon diner signs, a juke box, some 60's pop art, decorate your mantle with 50's space-age style hood ornaments, that's fine, but it's not mid century modern.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

vonnegutt posted:

Ugh but those houses are used. And so small. Most of them don't even have a walk-in closet off the master suite. How could anyone live there?

Richard Neutra's gorgeous, well-renovated Pitcairn House is for sale and that's 6300 sf. Though it's been on the market for 3 years and the price has dropped from $6m to $2.5m so I guess rich people would rather have the McMCMs.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 21, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Roofing material hasn't recently become immortal, has it? All those incredibly fussy roofs are going to need to be re-reroofed at some point? That's gotta be painful for whoever owns the house then.

Probably be a trend for shed roofs some day in the future. Just a single flat slope. Easy to maintain.

Oh, looks like that already happened.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Single flat slope roofs are very common here now. They're ideal for solar panels.
http://collabohouse.info

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Here are my neighbor's houses. Attic storage and south-facing solar panels. (The green is rice (o≧▽゜)o

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

That McMCM is a cargo cult version of Mid Century Modern. It gets so many things wrong.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I love the view of bare dirt and rocks. Wonder what happens when it rains?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

While definitely a McMansion, it's one of the least bad ones I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Why did the crazy roof lines become such a thing in the first place? It's not just McMansions - I've noticed it in new housing developments here for regular 3-4 bed family houses. Looking at the estate from across the road is really unsettling and jarring with roofs sloping and jutting out all over the place in a very cramped development.