Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I'm such a cheapskate too.

I could spend 50p on a Gossamer Robe, or even 120p for a FBR. But I just can't bring myself on spending that amount of plat for items that barely give any relevant stats anyway (if stats mattered at all).

Now that i'm sufficient level for HAM or Hole groups I might just as well hold out till I get one of the better robes. I don't even care about looking like a noob anymore.

PS : if you use the heroic forge or whatever it's called to change the appearance of an item, can it be traded away (without the illusion) in any way by removing the texture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
There was a queue Friday Night. I would say probably 3-5k players on Agnarr.

Exp Pots purchased during the monthly sale offer they give you are so efficient. Shaman is almost to 30. I think I'm going to make a druid after. Getting a cheap rear end laptop to run a 2nd box on. Dunno whether to level the druid on that account or move my shaman to that account and level druid on main account.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Finally got around to doing some Test stuff with Gates of Discord pre-Phinigel Opening. I was curious how the melee changes over the years affect Gates of Discord, so I went to do the Ikkinz raid flagging ahead of some other testing stuff.

Tried to drop into Ikkinz 1 group trial from above, went the wrong way, warrior died. Bard was still playing songs even though I was sure I turned it off, so the stuff trained back up and kill her + all the dps while I ran the cleric away. It all felt very, very familiar. I think I've died trying to get into this trial for the first time on live in 2004, on Combine, and on Vulak. Something about 'drop down one at a time and run to an instance entrance' just doesn't work with me on this particular trial.

The answer to the melee changes question is "significantly", I was able to kill the Diabolic Destroyer w/o any discs or even really set up properly and just kited the dire illusions on one of my healers after getting a ton of agro. On trash mobs, 90% of the time its more efficient to have my shaman dispel any buffs than trying to slow or snare, as by the time I get either to land, the mob was at 10%, and most of them don't even run as is. In ye olde days, this trial was the make or break for your ability to group and take down content, as you couldn't progress to the other (easier) trials w/o doing this one, and Diabolic Destroyer still hits fairly hard.

Despite the chaos getting into the trial, I don't think I can properly explain the nostalgia feeling I get when I run around any zone in Gates of Discord past Natimbi. I know people hate GoD for previously discussed reasons, but that's when I started throwing together a box crew back in the day and realized how much more fun the game is when you're not shackled to others, waiting for a group to form up so you can do *stuff*, even when it wasn't super difficult or cutting edge stuff like I can do now.

Only a couple weeks to wait...

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Evernoob posted:

PS : if you use the heroic forge or whatever it's called to change the appearance of an item, can it be traded away (without the illusion) in any way by removing the texture?

Hero's Forge unlocks an augment slot. You can freely remove the appearance augments from an item at any time and place it in another item. The base item retains its stats and original appearance. As long as the base item is tradable, you can trade it away without issue. The HF appearance augs are attunable so they become No Trade when first placed in the item.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Anyone on Agnarr in a chill raiding guild? Want to be able to log in, put groups together to farm / exp, find a pickup raid, or something that doesn't mandate 8 hour raid days every week. Set schedules would be fine, but tight attendance requirements might be ignored in favor of other activities. I've been leveling a bunch of alts with a RL friend, but we're starting to want to play around in PoF/H/S and get a few dragon kills before Kunark unlocks.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Is there a serverwide goon channel set up?

just checked the OP and found this, I'm a 48 enchanter on agnarr and set it to autojoin feel free to hop on and ask if you need any help or starter items

quote:

All goons, regardless of server and guild, are invited to join the serverwide goon chat channel, in which all goons primarily chat, even those in the guild. To join it, type:

/join serverwide.gchat:fygm

To set the game to automatically join the channel upon login, type:

/autojoin serverwide.gchat:fygm (to autojoin multiple chat channels, type several channel names, comma-separated)

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

onesixtwo posted:

Anyone on Agnarr in a chill raiding guild? Want to be able to log in, put groups together to farm / exp, find a pickup raid, or something that doesn't mandate 8 hour raid days every week. Set schedules would be fine, but tight attendance requirements might be ignored in favor of other activities. I've been leveling a bunch of alts with a RL friend, but we're starting to want to play around in PoF/H/S and get a few dragon kills before Kunark unlocks.

I joined What the Guk. I wanted a growing guild, instead of a zerg guild. Just personal preference. I know some people just want to clear the content, but I wanted to atleast do mechanics and stuff. They had about 20-25 people in raid when I joined 2 weeks ago, now up to 40.

Raiding 3 nights/week. 20% atten req, which is 1 per week with room to skip a week. Tues/Thurs/Sun - 4pm Pacific. Doing Hate (attempting Maestro), Fear (attempting draco), and Sky (just cleared 4th island). Also doing Phinny and Yael, haven't attempted naggy yet, because cleric count was low, but i think we have enough this week to try it.

Currently recruiting all classes, 40+.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

FranktheBank posted:

I joined What the Guk.

Same to the reasons behind joining, and that is an extremely understanding attendance policy indeed. Thanks! I'll check them out sometime once we're fully set to app.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
That's a really good guild name.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Node posted:

That's a really good guild name.

I had an Iksar themed guild named Hissteria on Phinny for a bit. I was Hisstopher, my buddy was Denhiss. Ain't no toppin' that! lol

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I'm guessing we'll be getting an exp-bonus weekend either this weekend or next - Assuming we do then I expect Phinny to get even busier than 'normal' exp bonus weekends due to people trying to get their 130AAs saved for GoD in 3 weeks.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I've never had any issue finding a group... until now as a 42 wiz.

Guk places are all camped in all picks. Solb is mainly being farmed by 50's. And for the hole I am just a tad too low to contribute well.
Formed my own group as usual but finding a good camp has been quite hard.

Hope i get more lucky tonight.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Yeah, it doesn't help that the locations you should be going to in Guk at the point have high value drops. I would say don't be afraid to go to live side, King is free more often and the drops can still be quite valuable; especially if you have a group that can handle moving between King and Crusader.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
Assuming it is 50% Xp bonus, will be it be a bonus to named spawn as well?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The named bonus I believe is only coded for TSS on up.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

The minotaur / raster camp is good experience around late 30s I think? From there the castle / king are great. Live side stuff isn't as often camped except for the Crusader.

The trick to getting a camp on dead side seems to be having ivu, or a stash of pots. I've gotten a surprisingly high number of camps for solo / exp groups just because I can explore the zone without asking for a CC. Main pick has open AM / Frenzied more often than most people realize, or a single group stretching to pull it all, and slacking on the timer just enough to sneak in and claim it. Also helps not announce to the rest of the zone where they could be grabbing more mobs from. I've been in a few mainpick groups where we held frenzied and hamlord without anyone even coming down to check if we had bodies in each room.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

The minotaur / raster camp is good experience around late 30s I think? From there the castle / king are great. Live side stuff isn't as often camped except for the Crusader.

The trick to getting a camp on dead side seems to be having ivu, or a stash of pots. I've gotten a surprisingly high number of camps for solo / exp groups just because I can explore the zone without asking for a CC. Main pick has open AM / Frenzied more often than most people realize, or a single group stretching to pull it all, and slacking on the timer just enough to sneak in and claim it. Also helps not announce to the rest of the zone where they could be grabbing more mobs from. I've been in a few mainpick groups where we held frenzied and hamlord without anyone even coming down to check if we had bodies in each room.

We did the lame with live side, we were pulling king, noble, crusader, etc etc. Pretty much everything.

With current DPS, it feels like hamlord and frenzy should be (or can be) 1 camp. I constantly am running out of mobs in hamlord. Frenzy doesnt even feel good for XP, just cash camp.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

FranktheBank posted:

Assuming it is 50% Xp bonus, will be it be a bonus to named spawn as well?

76% exp bonus with 76% extra rares and faction - Starts Friday and ends Wednesday along with a 25% marketplace discount ontop of the member discount.

I think all the progression servers are going to be pretty busy - Lockjaw may even break double digits for players !

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

onesixtwo posted:

The minotaur / raster camp is good experience around late 30s I think?

As someone who has been camping Raster for the past the 3 evenings (EU time) I wouldn't count on finding a free camp. Though I personally wouldn't mind sharing the camp with non monks, I've already let 4+ chrysoberyl talismans rot because I couldn't get anyone to come pick it up.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
We downed all the bosses in Hate up to Inny tonight. Felt good to see so much progress from last week to now. Still very crappy on pally drops. Have gotten 3, maybe 4 total pieces of Valorium to drop over 4 full fear clears. Now I'm just camping my paladin out in fear, hoping for rots. Gotten 3 pieces so far.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I've been playing with a shaman on test and have been trying the 'Call of the Ancients' AA - I can't see any healing from it when activated. I get a message for 'you are washed with an aura of restoration' but no actual healing numbers.

I'm not sure whether its broken, or whether any healing messages from it is being filtered as the heal isn't being cast by me ?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
If it's this one http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:Call_of_the_Ancients, then technically you're creating a ward, not casting a spell, so you won't see numbers.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Baconroll posted:

I've been playing with a shaman on test and have been trying the 'Call of the Ancients' AA - I can't see any healing from it when activated. I get a message for 'you are washed with an aura of restoration' but no actual healing numbers.

I'm not sure whether its broken, or whether any healing messages from it is being filtered as the heal isn't being cast by me ?
It creates a stationary, invisible totem, which pulses a healing aura on nearby people. Since healing spells only show the numbers they heal when your health is not full, you won't see it if you just cast it at full health. Try performing a Canni (or damage yourself otherwise), then pop down the ward and see the healing it gives. Last time I checked, at lvl 100, the healing was pathetic and not worth the time. I guess it's a little tiny bit useful for healing lvl 52 twinks created for killing Naggy and Vox...

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
So I’m thinking about 3-boxing my old toons in live, and out of the many potential combos, I’ve settled on Ranger/Cleric/Enchanter. They range from 80 - 85, and for now I’d be taking them through SoD progression, and camping names for gear, and maybe going back and doing the cleric’s 1.5.

How viable will this team be using a J5 merc to tank to 105?

I have a free heroic character I could use to replace the enchanter with a Warrior, but then I’d have to rely on the ranger’s epic for slows. Which means I’d have to position the ranger in melee range instead of just turning on autofire. Which is annoying.

I think I want to keep the ranger and cleric, I’m just not sure about the third toon. The enchanter would not be actively played beyond clicking a macro button that tashes, slows and maybe dots or nukes. An 85 bard is another option for the third slot, or really any class with the free heroic option.

Is having a real tank going to be worth it later on? Is there a better choice than warrior if I go this route?

How important are slows at 85 and beyond? Slows mostly seem to be mitigated to some degree anyway.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Eccles posted:

So I’m thinking about 3-boxing my old toons in live, and out of the many potential combos, I’ve settled on Ranger/Cleric/Enchanter. They range from 80 - 85, and for now I’d be taking them through SoD progression, and camping names for gear, and maybe going back and doing the cleric’s 1.5.

How viable will this team be using a J5 merc to tank to 105?

I have a free heroic character I could use to replace the enchanter with a Warrior, but then I’d have to rely on the ranger’s epic for slows. Which means I’d have to position the ranger in melee range instead of just turning on autofire. Which is annoying.

I think I want to keep the ranger and cleric, I’m just not sure about the third toon. The enchanter would not be actively played beyond clicking a macro button that tashes, slows and maybe dots or nukes. An 85 bard is another option for the third slot, or really any class with the free heroic option.

Is having a real tank going to be worth it later on? Is there a better choice than warrior if I go this route?

How important are slows at 85 and beyond? Slows mostly seem to be mitigated to some degree anyway.

Frankly I hardly ever bother slowing with my Shaman (lvl 100), and haven't for years. Low level content is so easy it's not worth it, and on high level content (80+), it's mitigated as you say, and while it is a noticable decrease in mob DPS, I just can rarely be bothered. Normal box-able group content just isn't that hard, and in the case poo poo hits the fan (typically when you accidentially overpull), you want to focus on other things, such as CC/rooting and emergency heals.

I think Ranger/Cleric/Enc is a quite..... strange combo. :) But sure, you can definitely rely on a tank merc, I've done so from lvl 80ish to 100 through years of group boxing content. My team is Monk (puller and main DPS), Shaman, Ranger and Wiz, aided by Tank + Cleric mercs. The J5 tank is great, and I guess there's something mentally nice about letting a bot take the beatings, deaths and health yo-yo'ing rather than yourself, less stress that way.

I am a bit curious about your desire to let the Ranger autofire..... why? Rangers do their best DPS up front, and you can use him as emergency/backup tank, perform positioning, not to mention pulling & tracking. Rangers at high levels get some neat pulling abilities and even a Fade (100% memblur) AA. If you let the Ranger autofire from afar, all your characters are ranged, which I think will just be even more annoying, as you're not there to "help" your other boxes by, for example, pulling/pushing mobs with Vinelash, rooting, snapping aggro when a mob runs for your other box, and so on.

You need some haste though, so either Shaman or Enchanter is a good choice, and my choice would be the Shaman for their awesome buffs, run speed AA, and good emergency heals. I'd personally just use a Cleric merc + Shaman to cover the healing, but that's just me who finds a Cleric boring, maybe you enjoy healing.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 7, 2017

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Pilsner posted:

Frankly I hardly ever bother slowing with my Shaman (lvl 100), and haven't for years.

Good to know that slows aren't so important.

Pilsner posted:

I think Ranger/Cleric/Enc is a quite..... strange combo. :) But sure, you can definitely rely on a tank merc,

The ranger/cleric was my box duo for a long time, way back when. I'm sort of looking forward to picking up where I left off. I'm not looking to min/max - I just don't want to invest a bunch of time in a trio that isn't going to be viable when I reach current content. Thanks for confirming that the tank merc will work.

Pilsner posted:

I am a bit curious about your desire to let the Ranger autofire..... why?

I've also been playing a Rogue/Bard/Druid trio (all mid 70's, and probably another unusual trio) and found positioning two characters in melee range to be more work than I wanted. So not having to bother positioning the ranger seemed a plus. But I'll try the ranger as melee dps and see how it goes, thanks for the suggestion.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Tank merc can definitely do the job just fine. There are definitely more close calls as the merc's hp can drop suddenly compared to a player's, but having a box cleric can compensate for that. I've boxed 80-105 with a tank merc and can farm current xpac named mobs for gear on a regular basis.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Im boxing an 85 ranger (rogue merc) and 85 warrior (cleric merc), and raising a 58 druid to join them as a healer. Any thoughts on where I can effectively level a 58 druid with a tank merc? My goto with the melees was hates fury around this level but that was with melee classes and cleric mercs. Can't seem to get the same survivability with the opposite.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
I'd go to kunark zones like veksar or old seb

unoplank
Aug 3, 2004
I lurk...

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Im boxing an 85 ranger (rogue merc) and 85 warrior (cleric merc), and raising a 58 druid to join them as a healer. Any thoughts on where I can effectively level a 58 druid with a tank merc? My goto with the melees was hates fury around this level but that was with melee classes and cleric mercs. Can't seem to get the same survivability with the opposite.

Level 58 should be able to get experience in that group, just kill stuff that you would normally do on the 85s and let the druid soak it in.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Tank mercs are definitely the worst merc at 105 but for regular XP grinding they're okay. There's some named that will rip them a new rear end in a top hat sprinkled around various levels but if you have a pet class, an extra healer (preferably one you're playing) or if you're feeling ballsy a charm pet you can do alright on them.

I'd always recommend some form of tank (or at a minimum a melee that can cycle cool downs and burn before things get ugly) for a box group though. Back before they changed mechanics to let pets hold aggro around PCs it was supremely annoying to run into a mob that would annihilate a merc tank and have to pet tank it on my beastlord. Long rear end kills when you just have a druid half dpsing, bst nukes and bard chants.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 14, 2017

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Paladine_PSoT posted:

unoplank posted:

Level 58 should be able to get experience in that group, just kill stuff that you would normally do on the 85s and let the druid soak it in.

Druid is now 72, getting exp in a slow, slow grind in loping plains. Can anyone think of a good place for mq2/kissassist grinding for that level? I tried right outside the starting fort in old bloodfields and got wrecked on the second pull.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
Splitpaw should be pretty awesome for those levels. Especially for aa grinding. Sit just outside of the paw shaped room in an alcove and pull everything.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
You should goto tosk from the void, or goto an underfoot zone(underquarry, pellucid grotto), or hit house of Thule

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Gates of Discord unlocks today on Phinny - its only an 8 week expansion due to no level increase so should be pretty fun.

I'm predicting 12 zillion Zerkers and lots of drama over racing for goats by the weekend !

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Patch notes are up, here's a few I liked:

- A few long lost quests in Velious have been restored!

Kinda like the ones they restored in Kunark last year. That's awesome that they fixed those. I think Prathun was the one fixing them?

- Reduced the amount of broadcast messages for killing raid targets on progression servers.

loving finally. I hope stuff from previous expacs gets turned off automatically. Hell honestly I'd be fine if all of them were turned off - who the gently caress cares?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Turn them all of except server first imo.
Or alternatively turn off all expedition broadcast, but keep the open world targets.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

xZAOx posted:

loving finally. I hope stuff from previous expacs gets turned off automatically. Hell honestly I'd be fine if all of them were turned off - who the gently caress cares?

Um excuse me? My guild can't retain enough warmbodies to 5-split Quarm without those global messages.

It is a legitimate recruitment tactic, you see!

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012

darkhand posted:

You should goto tosk from the void, or goto an underfoot zone(underquarry, pellucid grotto), or hit house of Thule

If he got wrecked in the bloodfields those zones would rape him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Phinny talk: so, OGC and AOS already cleared everything in GoD on launch day.

I heard some saying they were cheating. Are they actually doing scummy poo poo? Or is it just a case of being able to skip lots of progression that we didn't realize?

It looks like a lot of open world group progression stuff they were able to just skip right over, and get right into Ikkinz raids. I heard someone saying they even went right into Ikkinz 4.