Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's cause jeet is liberal shill rear end in a top hat who like other stupid fucks who hide behind liberal "critical theory" type bullshit get super mad at phrases and various poo poo, people like him tend to hate game of thrones and stuff like that because it's problematic and to them, it's bad think to like it even while thinking critically. They think if something shows something like violence or rape or terrible politics and doesn't have a giant signe saying "THIS IS BAD", then it's endorsing it. "Bending the knee" isn't a problematic phrase and if you think it is your an idiot.

Jeet has written comics criticism for the Hooded Utilitarian, this checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lightning Lord posted:

Seriously? How bad?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Apparently that applies to every thing.

Yyyyyep.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

a world where stuart lee is the acceptable edge of comedy deserves to loving burn

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jfood posted:

a world where stuart lee is the acceptable edge of comedy deserves to loving burn

Please, he's a lib dem, he's way over the acceptable edge.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Holy poo poo, that was a terrible article, I love how jeet tries to spin the bend the knee line into hardcore sexism and etc. gently caress jeet.

He doesn't spin it that way though.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's cause jeet is liberal shill rear end in a top hat who like other stupid fucks who hide behind liberal "critical theory" type bullshit get super mad at phrases and various poo poo, people like him tend to hate game of thrones and stuff like that because it's problematic and to them, it's bad think to like it even while thinking critically. They think if something shows something like violence or rape or terrible politics and doesn't have a giant signe saying "THIS IS BAD", then it's endorsing it. "Bending the knee" isn't a problematic phrase and if you think it is your an idiot.

Actually, I find this a really weird strange reaction, why are you bringing this up at all? How is his opinion on Game of Thrones actually relevant here? Because it sounds like you're just have a massive a grudge more than anything.

This discussion of tough or dominant politics kind of interests me, it sort of reminds me of the points that were raised in this video by Nerdwriter which I thought was kind of interesting and ties thing back to Youtube intellectuals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tva0xq-eDvI

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 19, 2017

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

someone linked one of his videos, literally the most offensive youtube clip ever posted in this thread

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Honestly, the extent to which the alt-right (and conservatives in general I guess) define their ideology by projecting their own feelings onto others is downright uncanny (I mean, everyone does it to some extent, but they take it to a totally different level). They end up reaching all these bizarre conclusions because they assume that everyone else is just as terrible and dumb as they are.

On the topic of dumb Youtube rationals/alt-right folks, I think I've decided that my least favorite of them all is Kraut and Tea. He somehow manages to come off as even more bitter and angry than his peers and strikes me as being the closest to going full-Nazi. Most of the others, like Sargon or Armoured Skeptic, just come off like some random dumb rear end in a top hat, but Kraut and Tea seems like the type who could very easily slip into literally wanting to genocide people (if he hasn't already). That one discussion with the other Youtube "rationals" that Shaun and Jen referenced during one of his videos is a good example; even some of his peers were like "what the gently caress dude."

This Bearing guy seems like a class-A shitheel as well. He was "debating" some lefty youtuber, and was the most rude, douchey and foul dipshit I've seen from the Rationals.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

jfood posted:

someone linked one of his videos, literally the most offensive youtube clip ever posted in this thread

Which clip, exactly?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the intro to ep 24 of chapo is one of the funniest creations in human history:

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-24-gulens-gonna-gulen-feat-dwdavison9318-7-18-16

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Lord posted:

It's pretty sad when we can have people post the same kind of junk (getting angry at those bad people who think using critical theory and they dare insult Are Culture and hold it some kind of standard) that normally get mocked here, but it gets eaten up here because he insulted some liberal who's obviously the worst person in the world.

I like most geek culture stuff, but Christ we need to clean this poo poo out. The fact that the hobby (be it comics, gaming, or genre fiction) is full of the kind of crap who we mock here ought to be proof that Critical Theory and actually getting the scum out is the way to go.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Who What Now posted:

Which clip, exactly?

stuart lee.

Groovelord Neato posted:

'pinochet helicopter rides' still gets me everytime.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the two that get me most are the "flying pepes" and "gallagher smashing a watermelon with 'black lives matter' written on it".

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
People that don't like Stuey Lee are garbage. It's just one of those identifiers, like wearing hats.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-24-gulens-gonna-gulen-feat-dwdavison9318-7-18-16

How long is this intro and when does it get funny, because so far it's eyerolly at best.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hate to be the one to tell you this but you have a poo poo sense of humor.

edit: apologies, you may not be aware of what it's mocking so in that case it wouldn't be funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNe11E_KiAk

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 19, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

hate to be the one to tell you this but you have a poo poo sense of humor.

edit: apologies, you may not be aware of what it's mocking so in that case it wouldn't be funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNe11E_KiAk

Holy poo poo someone unironically thought that powerthirst was onto something with its advertising.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OwlFancier posted:

Holy poo poo someone unironically thought that powerthirst was onto something with its advertising.

It's for Juggalos by Juggalos. Lots of things seem cool when you're high on jenkem/bath salts.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
You know, my grandfather, on his death bed, he sold me this watch.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Regarde Aduck posted:

People that don't like Stuey Lee are garbage. It's just one of those identifiers, like wearing hats.

Are you talking about Stewart Lee, the British comedian? Yeah, he's great.
I always thought that when alt-righters laugh at insane screeching SJW Regressives it was a strawman. But some people in this thread prove that they actually exist. And on SA of all places!
What's your opinion on Sam Harris - he has been portrayed as a pseudo intellectual often by both sides of the political spectrum. But I dunno, he just seems to be bad at communicating his ideas. I haven't heard him advocate for something that I would find particularly distasteful.

Monglo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 20, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't he that idiot new atheist who spends all his time writing about how Islam is going to destroy western civilization like he's from the 13th century?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i loathe sam harris and my first post in the original incarnation of this thread was about him being a youtube "rational" before that was a thing.

he's said mind bogglingly stupid things about black lives matter to the point it's victim blaming (just do what the police say and nobody gets hurt!). he says don't get all wrapped up in your feelings use the facts. uh well dumbass the facts show cops are monstrous towards black americans and that's why we're pissed. these clowns never get we're pissed off BECAUSE the facts show these things are occurring.

he also gives a pass to israel and america bombing and killing way more people than terrorists do. i wonder why that is.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Monglo posted:

Are you talking about Stewart Lee, the British comedian? Yeah, he's great.
I always thought that when alt-righters laugh at insane screeching SJW Regressives it was a strawman. But some people in this thread prove that they actually exist. And on SA of all places!
What's your opinion on Sam Harris - he has been portrayed as a pseudo intellectual often by both sides of the political spectrum. But I dunno, he just seems to be bad at communicating his ideas. I haven't heard him advocate for something that I would find particularly distasteful.

Your point? Of course there are extreme and embarrassing supporters of any ideology. If you're going to use that to excuse your own brand of jerkassery, you're just another moron in the pile.

Harris is a clown and a bigot. When he writes about pre-emptively nuking entire countries, it's just a thought experiment, see, but when someone on Youtube uses strong language, OMG, we are losing the Clash of Civilization to the barbarians! He may be the worst turd to come out of New Atheism, and it's a proud atheist saying that.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I'm confused. Is it suddenly not okay to watch/like things for your own personal reasons? Like, I have to watch GoT or I'm a liberal stooge or something? It's not like people saying they take offense to something makes it retroactively not exist. There aren't massive boycotts of GoT. It's in no danger of being cancelled. And is there any proof that a comedian's success was at all hampered by people being offended by them? I doubt it, or we would never have heard of these comedians in the first goddamn place.

This is a silly argument. People like what they like and dislike what they dislike. No one has to listen to their opinion and no one has to agree.

Like, look at goddamn Sargon. Many people do not watch him because they find him offensive. And yet he's fine. He doesn't need your help, Knights. loving Sam Harris doesn't need an army of weird, obsessive internet atheists to defend him. He is wealthy and successful despite offending many many people. There is a long list of people who have offended many of the public who are totally fine.

My point is people who get all huffy when someone says 'I don't like problematic thing' are overreacting. Calm down.

*All nerdy tripe mentioned is used for examples

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
I didn't mean to come off as a jackass. Sorry if I did.

And about Sam Harris, why is it insufficient explanation for you that what he said was in fact a part of a thought experiment? Why ascribe an insidious motive to his musings?
Like I remember hearing him talk on a possibility of inventing a true AI, he said that such an invention would put the country that produced it way ahead of its competitors making it defacto the world's only superpower and the only way for anyone to stop it is to nuke that country as soon as they hear about them creating this AI. This scenario is interesting to consider, because it poses questions about the potential future of our technological development and it's impact on the world's economy. It's not meant to persuade the listener that we must eradicate millions of people just in case they develop a new type of a computer.
I feel like when he speaks about world politics and religion he also uses these hypothetical scenarios that he admits might not be correct in assessing the true state of things.
And he's has written that book about reforming Islam with Maajid Nawaz, he doesn't seem to just be bigoted against people of Arab descent, I think.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Monglo posted:

And he's has written that book about reforming Islam with Maajid Nawaz, he doesn't seem to just be bigoted against people of Arab descent, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX-UPcrejHc&t=251s

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 20, 2017

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Monglo posted:

I didn't mean to come off as a jackass. Sorry if I did.

And about Sam Harris, why is it insufficient explanation for you that what he said was in fact a part of a thought experiment? Why ascribe an insidious motive to his musings?
Like I remember hearing him talk on a possibility of inventing a true AI, he said that such an invention would put the country that produced it way ahead of its competitors making it defacto the world's only superpower and the only way for anyone to stop it is to nuke that country as soon as they hear about them creating this AI. This scenario is interesting to consider, because it poses questions about the potential future of our technological development and it's impact on the world's economy. It's not meant to persuade the listener that we must eradicate millions of people just in case they develop a new type of a computer.
I feel like when he speaks about world politics and religion he also uses these hypothetical scenarios that he admits might not be correct in assessing the true state of things.

Because it aligns with the dumb zeitgeist every time. Torture, War on Terror, ethnic and religious profiling, you name it. Like Jonh Yoo, he is always glad to serve as a cover for the worst impulses of western dumbassery, all in the name of some disinterested, 'rational' exploration. Read his exchange with Chomski. It's not a pleasant read from either writer, but Harris' casual dismissal of countless horrible events because the 'civilized' side meant well was chilling. And that''s not even going into the "Ted Cruz has the sanest immigration policy" bit. Not bigoted? Hardly.

The whole "He's doesn't hate X, he even talks about reforming it!" also means nothing. I've seen it often in dealing with race. "I don't hate blacks, just BLACK CULTURE. If they only got married, wore suits, stayed in their schools and stopped doing the hippity hop, it's all be perfect!" . It's basically a way to blame a whole side, moderate and radicals both, for your reductive views.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he is not nearly as smart as he thinks he is. this is an article written by a mental child:

https://www.samharris.org/blog/item/in-defense-of-torture

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Sam Harris is a joke pseudo-philosopher whose only attempt at a contribution to the field gets dismantled by the loving is-ought problem. Imagine an evolutionary biologist submitting "dog dont give birth to cat, qed atheists" as a PhD dissertation, and you'll have some idea of the level he's operating on.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The only nice thing I can say about Harris is that he is one of the only war hawks that said torture was cool and good to actually have the integrity to put his money where his mouth was and get waterboarded.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that was chris hitchens.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh, right.

In that case I have nothing good to say about Sam Harris. He contributed nothing of value to society.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Monglo posted:

I'll just quote Rational Wiki cause it explains it far better than any of us could

quote:

Just asking questions (JAQ-ing off) is a way of attempting to make wild accusations acceptable (and hopefully not legally actionable) by framing them as questions rather than statements. It shifts the burden of proof to one's opponent — rather than laboriously having to prove that all politicians are reptoid scum, one can pull out one single odd piece of evidence and force the opponent to explain why the evidence is wrong.

Framing his hate as trying to have an intellectual discussion is the reason people hate Harris. It's the same sort of musings that resulted in this emoji: :thunk:
To say he is unaware of this is dishonest because
1) You cannot make a criticism for Muslims without inevitably mentioning the War on Terror and then I have a hard time thinking how people can then go "hmmm maybe torture is good??" and
2) He diminishes other countries' roles in shaping the Middle East political landscape, while arguing that violence is just a part of their culture and c'est la vie. It's a point of view that is reductive and juvenile.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He might be really thick.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

he is not nearly as smart as he thinks he is. this is an article written by a mental child:

https://www.samharris.org/blog/item/in-defense-of-torture

I've reread the article and some criticism of it. Anything in particular about it that you find to be written by a mental chi!d?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Monglo posted:

I've reread the article and some criticism of it. Anything in particular about it that you find to be written by a mental chi!d?

His overly simplistic understanding of the effectiveness of torture, for one. Primarily how he thinks it ever works at all.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Sam Harris said it was rational to think that society shouldn't have more Muslims and to figure out a way to keep the number of Muslims down.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Monglo posted:

torture doesn't work.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

1. The Ticking Bomb scenario never happens. Ever. At all. It's a hollywood fantasy. Every person who was ever involved in counterterrorism will tell you so. Just ask former FBI interrogator Jack Cloonan, a dude who helped locate Bin Laden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGdNhwFqhyU
2. For a man who dismissed emotional and moral arguments against torture, he is awfully willing to apply them to justify torture in his time bomb scenario
3. "Opponents of torture will be quick to argue that confessions elicited by torture are notoriously unreliable. Given the foregoing, however, this objection seems to lack its usual force. Make these confessions as unreliable as you like—the chance that our interests will be advanced in any instance of torture need only equal the chance of such occasioned by the dropping of a single bomb. " is loving stupid and literally the opposite of reality. Harris is dismissing the single strongest point against torture: it doesn't work. We tried it time and time again and we got useless information that did not help US interests. Under pain (not the threat of pain, mind) people will say anything for the torture to stop. And rarely is it true.
4. Harris is equating killing soldiers on the battlefield with torturing POWs. I trust I don't have to explain the massive divide between two enemy combatants and a torture/victim scenario. Harris does not even set up his scenario honestly.
5. Harris assumes all radicals are 100% devoted to their cause. This is patently untrue as Jack Cloonan can once again confirm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCXnZUu3o1E Even the much-feared Bin Laden was a hypocrite. He lived in a fortified stronghold, not in a cave. And despite expecting celibacy from his followers, he lived with multiple wives and had absolute shittons of porn. People are people, and Harris is constantly trying to convince us they are not.
6. Harris is ignoring what precedent torture set for US foreign policy and how we are viewed by the rest of the world.
7. The reputation of the above is used by radicals to radicalize regular people and gain more membership, making their numbers grow. Harris' approach will just lead to more terrorism. You think they are afraid of the US's bluster? ISIL literally uses Trump's speeches in their ads to convince people to not escape to other countries.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

The article seems extremely biased. I mean if Sam Harris really said those words in the way its portrayed, don't you think Maajid Nawaz, a Muslim brown person, the podcast guest, would not object to it? It's taken out of context, when Harris asks the question he is expressing a position that he doesn't personally share.
I mean, it's not like I want to push you guys into convincing me that Sam Harris is a racist bigot, I just wanted to see if I missed any legit criticism of his. And I don't really see it.
Even concerning torture: Harris admits that torture is extremely unreliable and should be illegal, I mean how is that not a sound position? His article in defence of torture just demonstrates how we perceive torture in an unreasonable light, much worse that bombings, for example, which isnt right - bombing civilians should be less preferable. And the other point he is making that it is conceivable to concoct a scenario in which torture would be ethical, a scenario that he convincingly portrays.

EDIT: SSNeoman,I understood it that he specifically equates torture of POW to the inevitable collateral damage of hundreds and thousands of innocent civilians which is inevitable in modern warfare. Would you not agree that torturing a single POW is ethical if it spares the civilians? It's a hypothetical scenario, I admit, but does that Rob the question of its merits?

Monglo fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 20, 2017

• Locked thread