Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i am harry posted:

Please God, have Trump orate his funeral.

He inflicted Sarah Palin upon the national stage, and she should be the one to sing him to his rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

WampaLord posted:

After a certain point, we need to stop praising people for being war heroes. It doesn't redeem everything else he did.

I definitely didn't say it did...

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

So, to be clear, this means an extra Senate seat in a purple state up for grabs in 2018? How does this affect the chances of the Dems taking control and not having a perma-hosed Supreme Court?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

illcendiary posted:

I wonder if he finds this tumor deeply concerning. Troubling, even

Holy poo poo what an amazing joke I bet nobody else thought of it.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

At least he had time to introduce Palin-levels of ignorance that directly lead to Trump into mainstream American politics. I wish he'd died in 'Nam.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

i am harry posted:

Please God, have Trump orate his funeral.

He'll talk about McCain having to endorse him, and end up falling into the open grave.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Sarah Palin will eulogize John McCain.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
So what excuse do the other 51 have for their broke brains?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

I would expect that it's either in a location that's far too delicate for unplanned incisions (this is a brain tumor we're talking about, after all) or that they only discovered it after following up on some indirect evidence they discovered in the earlier procedure.

I don't have the emotional energy to spare feeling sad for John Mccain, but I won't celebrate this. That's a bad way to go.

Didn't they say they got all the affected tissue?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I definitely didn't say it did...

I was sort of going for a greater point of "Maybe we shouldn't idolize people for acts of war" as well. I'm not saying we have to poo poo on soldier's legacies, but maybe we shouldn't praise them up to god level either.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Sinteres posted:

Thank you friend comedy is important in times of tragedy like this

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
It may be better to compare this to what happened with Ted Kennedy rather than Jimmy Carter, as Jimmy Carter was dealing with melanoma that spread to the brain rather than a primary brain tumor. Kennedy was diagnosed in May 2008, and died in August 2009. He had a malignant glioma.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

I would expect that it's either in a location that's far too delicate for unplanned incisions (this is a brain tumor we're talking about, after all) or that they only discovered it after following up on some indirect evidence they discovered in the earlier procedure.

I don't have the emotional energy to spare feeling sad for John Mccain, but I won't celebrate this. That's a bad way to go.

Doctors said they took out everything they could find but apparently this version sucks rear end in terms of expanding in a way that is hard to remove.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

WampaLord posted:

I was sort of going for a greater point of "Maybe we shouldn't idolize people for acts of war" as well. I'm not saying we have to poo poo on soldier's legacies, but maybe we shouldn't praise them up to god level either.

Anyone who went through what he did is a legit badass.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Your Taint posted:

Too bad he turned into a spineless coward when it involved protecting his electorate.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

So, to be clear, this means an extra Senate seat in a purple state up for grabs in 2018? How does this affect the chances of the Dems taking control and not having a perma-hosed Supreme Court?

AZ is one the of the reddest states in the country. And the governor will have to appoint a Republican to replace mccain for the remainder of his term at which point his seat will most likely be filled with someone even worse because this state is full of awful people.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

pumpinglemma posted:

There are 2 seats up in Arizona if McCain is out by 2018. It's ground zero now.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

pumpinglemma posted:

No, he would serve until 2022. Arizona law requires the governor to backfill the seat with a Republican.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Alter Ego posted:

Cancer is an evil, horrifying disease no matter what form it takes, and after watching it slowly kill my mother over the course of three years I can safely say I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

I honestly hope McCain survives this, despite all the evil he's aided and abetted.

Lost my father to colon cancer. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It really is sad, even if his politics are poo poo it just sucks that much :smith:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

illcendiary posted:

Thank you friend comedy is important in times of tragedy like this

Every poster in this thread could make the joke and, incredibly, we will still not have said it as much as John McCain.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

pumpinglemma posted:

Arizona fills vacancies by appointment until the end of their scheduled term, so whoever replaces McCain would go up for election when he would have (2022).

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Your Taint posted:

Why not just put up a giant sign that says "NOTHING ILLEGAL HERE"

because that would draw attention, simpleton

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
We wasted brain cancer on the wrong Republican senator

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Your Taint posted:

Didn't they say they got all the affected tissue?

The doctors take that into account. Surgery to remove it "completely" gives you an extra 3 months.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GBM has a 100% recurrence rate, due to undetectable tendrils of malignant cells that spread in the brain. With total resection and good results from radio and chemotherapy, a good prognosis is 18 months. There are people who live longer, and people who don't.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Your Taint posted:

haha yeah man the badass soldier who was part of the vietnam war where the US massacred untold numbers of innocent people, what a badass :thumbsup:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Just as a thought exercise, and I'm sure there's really just not enough of a sample size, but do incumbent parties get a sort of "death bump" in filling vacancies when that process is carried out? In other words, the general electorate tends to see the rival party taking the seat as "less fair" and tends to vote more in favor of the incumbent party than they normally would.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

ought ten posted:

Don't worry, the tissue of concern was completely resected.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/887825014006874112

Good thing he has insurance.

It would really be hosed up if someone tried to cut his coverage while he was fighting this.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

John McCain is a sweet badass honker burger.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheScott2K posted:

So what excuse do the other 51 have for their broke brains?

affluenza

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dmitri-9 posted:

https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/887589477887115269

Huckabee is down with the revolution. Full communism now.

The current republican president is a literal gilded billionaire who visits his golf course every weekend.

Who the gently caress is Huck even talking about?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

botany posted:

haha yeah man the badass soldier who was part of the vietnam war where the US massacred untold numbers of innocent people, what a badass :thumbsup:

Shut the gently caress up

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pumpinglemma posted:

Arizona is the same deep shade of purple as Georgia. This changes nothing outside a slight increase in the odds that they replace McCain with a completely unelectable idiot. Which is more likely to happen to Flake since he has the angry eye of Trump upon him.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

AZ is one the of the reddest states in the country. And the governor will have to appoint a Republican to replace mccain for the remainder of his term at which his seat will most likely be filled with someone even worse because this state is full of awful people.

Yeah anyone who thinks his replacement won't be far worse than him is crazy. McCain's maverick persona was more gimmick than reality, but he's way better than the average member of his party, and had unique credibility from which to criticize Trump. Yeah, we all wish he'd do more, but there's a lot of speculation that he's behind the Steele dossier leaking, and I personally believe he's been waiting for a chance to speak out more openly when it might actually matter. Maybe that's too charitable, but I don't think the part where he's better than any plausible replacement can be disputed at all.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

botany posted:

That's a weird hill to die on

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

botany posted:

You're a loving idiot.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Glioblastoma general prognosis via American Brain Tumor Association:

quote:

Prognosis is usually reported in years of "median survival." Median survival is the time at which an equal number of patients do better and an equal number of patients do worse. With standard treatment, median survival for adults with an anaplastic astrocytoma is about two to three years. For adults with more aggressive glioblastoma, treated with concurrent temozolamide and radiation therapy, median survival is about 14.6 months and two-year survival is 30%. However, a 2009 study reported that almost 10% of patients with glioblastoma may live five years or longer.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
It's going to be hilarious to see Trump say and tweet things like "John McCain was a great war hero" after basically calling him a loser for getting shot down in Vietnam during the campaign.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
My 60 year old uncle had that cancer. Diagnosis to death was about 2 months without any form of treatment. With treatment 6 months of agony was the outlook..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My reading of Arizona law suggests that a special election for the vacated senate seat would be held during the next regularly-scheduled statewide election (i.e. November 2018).

• Locked thread